Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 19:23   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Pawan, mostly each body has a different battery pack design. You can see the details through the canon website under each body accessory category. Nikon D300 has a flat brick type battery pack whereas D90 has an L shaped one, so are the other bodies with difference in design and shape. If there was a 'master of all' product, how easy it was !! But you know companies will close down if everyone could use the same accessory for all cameras
Old 28th April 2011, 20:50   #7232
Senior - BHPian

@Shaju Go for Maurami Super DHG if you can find that in Mumbai and please also tell me the shop if you buy that as I will be there around 20th May.

Maurumi Super DHG is thin filter and rated better then Hoya. I think earlier also suggested you the same

Also check your PM

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th April 2011 at 20:56.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:07   #7233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I did not understand these lines. Hope you are not poking our 'old man' in the block
He’s talking about me and I just don’t know how and why I need to carry that ‘BOSS’ title..

But yes, I’ve been playing around with cameras and lenses for a very long time. So I do have the right to make some suggestions here. Please bear with me:

> Think properly before buying a lens. Think about your probable usage.
Don’t buy a lens because it’s just good to have. Instead of buying two or three lenses, buy a better lens that covers 75% of your need (focal lengthwise).
Remember, one better expensive lens is better than having three mediocre lenses.

> Less number of equipment will restrict your freedom. And at the same time it’ll force you to work harder. It’ll force you to exploit the most out of your lens.

> An expensive (Not necessarily those L or ED glasses) lens will give you years of service without any quality issue. Your camera bodies may change few times within that period. Most of my lenses are close to eight years old.

> Even so called best body/lens combination can’t give you what exactly you want sometimes. Spend some quality time on image processing. It can take your capture to a different height.

A small sample below. Shot with my 100mm f2.8 USM macro. This lens is eight years old now. This was not a planned shot. After a shoot, two light heads were parked next to the walls (left/right walls). Light here is bounced back from the walls. No adjustments in light intensity but exposed accordingly. Please feel free to comment on overall contrast level and sharpness.

The DSLR Thread-test.jpg

The DSLR Thread-cropped.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 21:18   #7234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Does the battery grip is different for different Canon EOS model ? I am buying the accessories which should be compatible to 5D Mark II as well for the future. After some googling, I found that BG-E6 is compatible with 5D Mark II, but whether it is compatible with my exisiting Canon 1100D is not sure. 1100D uses LP-E10 battery, google is not showing if BG-E6 can handle LP-E10.

If the battery pack is not compatible with 1100D and 5D Mark II together then I will drop this accessories for time being until I buy 5D Mark II.

Please suggest.
Pawan I don't think they have a battery grip for 1100D yet(Atleast from canon). Even if they come up with one it's not going to be compatible with 5D mark II as it is bigger.
Here's a list of battery grips made for canon body's (AFAIK).

BG-E2N - 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D
BG-E9 - 60D
BG-E6 - 5D mark II
BG-E7 - 7D
BG-E3 - 350D, 400D
BG-E5 - 450D / 500D / 1000D
BG-E8 - 550D, 600D
Old 28th April 2011, 21:26   #7235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
.....Please feel free to comment on overall contrast level and sharpness.
The sharpness is mind blowing!!! (I suppose the second image is a crop of the first pic)
I have heard that extremely sharp images for people portraits is not desirable but I like it the sharp, makes the picture look natural.

I dont know why but I feel the contrast levels are on the lower side. I am unable to use the right term here, may be the tonal range is narrow but since this was not a planned shot it may not have turned out the way it would have. Or my observation is influenced by the output of the b&w film (I guess I am spending quite a lot of time shooting b&w film and spending time on flickr lurking around groups on film photography!! - shortly I might be called as classic man if not an old man!!!......lol)
Old 28th April 2011, 21:29   #7236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He’s talking about me and I just don’t know how and why I need to carry that ‘BOSS’ title..

But yes, I’ve been playing around with cameras and lenses for a very long time. So I do have the right to make some suggestions here. Please bear with me:

Please feel free to comment on overall contrast level and sharpness.
Rudra sir...comment on your work?! That would be blasphemy!

YOU are the judge. It is the experience and knowledge that you carry that makes you a Guru (honest). Most people including me would actually pay to learn photography from a person as skilled and experienced as you are!

Cheers!
Old 28th April 2011, 21:31   #7237
Senior - BHPian

Camera for a week-end/back-up wedding photographer on a tight budget.

Hi all,
Please share your opinions, suggestions and experiences in helping someone who wants to work as a back-up photographer for sometime and later work as a main photographer.

The following options are being explored:

1. A used entry-level DSLR like 400D / 1000D / D40 / D3000 with a 18-55 lens(to begin with) + a fast prime.

2. A new entry level camera like 1000D / D3000 with 18-55 OR a fast prime.

3. A used semi-pro DSLR like 30D / D70 with a 18-55 lens + a fast prime.

A 400D with 18-55 lens is available under 12k.

A new D3000 with 18-55 is available for 22k.

A 30D body is available for 15k.

Initially, the semi-pro body was not in contention but the following features are interesting:

1. Availability of on-board remote flash commander.

2. Fast hardware/software for better AF, which I think would be crucial for capturing 'moments'.

If the above features are not of great use, then decision would be between a new / used entry level DSLR. Or any other major advantages of the semi-pro body, please mention.

NOTE: the 18-55 lens will be for a time being which will be eventually replaced by something like a fast 17-50 f2.8 (Tamron??) lens.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 28th April 2011 at 21:33.
Old 28th April 2011, 22:16   #7238
Senior - BHPian

Rudra ji, the photos are awesome. I have not seen this much detail.

kkr2k2, I would say go for the 400D. But do check the shutter count. I do not know the rated shutter count for the 400D, but it will be counter productive if just 15-20% is left. 12k is a bargain nevertheless.
Old 28th April 2011, 22:45   #7239
Senior - BHPian

found this while researching waterproof cameras

Waterproof dSLR exists earlier than you think - Crave - CNET Asia
Old 28th April 2011, 23:36   #7240
BHPian

OT
The new thanks feature is a big plus to the forum, thumbs up!

@Rudra
Your post did help me decide between a prime and a mid zoom, similar price range.
As for the picture, very sharp as the macros would produce, but there is some banding in the background, maybe result of compression mess up while uploading as I do not think this would have gone off notice to your caliber.

Cheers!
Old 29th April 2011, 00:00   #7241
BHPian

Quote:
> Less number of equipment will restrict your freedom. And at the same time it’ll force you to work harder. It’ll force you to exploit the most out of your lens.

> An expensive (Not necessarily those L or ED glasses) lens will give you years of service without any quality issue. Your camera bodies may change few times within that period. Most of my lenses are close to eight years old.

> Even so called best body/lens combination can’t give you what exactly you want sometimes. Spend some quality time on image processing. It can take your capture to a different height.

A small sample below. Shot with my 100mm f2.8 USM macro. This lens is eight years old now. This was not a planned shot. After a shoot, two light heads were parked next to the walls (left/right walls). Light here is bounced back from the walls. No adjustments in light intensity but exposed accordingly. Please feel free to comment on overall contrast level and sharpness.

Attachment 536943

Attachment 536944
Thank you for the informative post Rudra sir. What I have come to realize is that image processing is one of the key things to achieve the optimal look. So, my kind request to you would be to guide us or atleast point us the way on how processing should be done. I know it's a HUGE topic in itself, but a start should help us. The "clarity" (if I may use that relative term) is what I feel lacks in my photographs, unlike yours or TG's photographs. Not that I think I have the best equipment, but I have seen people produce amazing results with a similar camera + lens combination.

Also, I think most of us miss an important part: light. According to me, it's composition first, light next, lens/camera body come later.

Looking at the image, what would you differently to improve it? Better contrast levels, etc.

EDIT: My memory didn't fail me and I could find one of the tutorials you had written on PAAI . Can you please reproduce that here for our reference? I don't see the images anymore :(.
http://www.paai.in/forum/viewtopic.p...0fe4063033d184

Last edited by HellwratH : 29th April 2011 at 00:12.
Old 29th April 2011, 00:01   #7242
BHPian

Guys anyone using the Sigma 100-500 OS? How does it rate against the Canon 100-400 IS?
Old 29th April 2011, 01:15   #7243
Senior - BHPian

Re: Camera for a week-end/back-up wedding photographer on a tight budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hi all,
Please share your opinions, suggestions and experiences in helping someone who wants to work as a back-up photographer for sometime and later work as a main photographer.

The following options are being explored:

1. A used entry-level DSLR like 400D / 1000D / D40 / D3000 with a 18-55 lens(to begin with) + a fast prime.

2. A new entry level camera like 1000D / D3000 with 18-55 OR a fast prime.

3. A used semi-pro DSLR like 30D / D70 with a 18-55 lens + a fast prime.

NOTE: the 18-55 lens will be for a time being which will be eventually replaced by something like a fast 17-50 f2.8 (Tamron??) lens.
What kind of photography is he planning to do? For journalism/NEWS, a 400D would suffice but for commercial shoots a semi-pro would be required.

All the body options considered here are very old. IMO if he is seriously getting into professional photography, he should up his budget and get a newer/better body.
Old 29th April 2011, 02:29   #7244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Guys anyone using the Sigma 100-500 OS? How does it rate against the Canon 100-400 IS?
I am torn between these two lenses. Actually the Sigma 150-500 and the Canon 100-400L. The build quality of the L series lenses are second to none. Also the compatibility with a canon camera that may come out in the future, is a plus for Canon lens.
I have read reviews where certain earlier serial numbers of Sigma lenses have had trouble focussing. (slow) But then the pricing, good reviews, and the added reach of 500mm is attractive as well.

I am borrowing a 100-400 from a friend to try it out before I take the final plunge.
Old 29th April 2011, 07:56   #7245
Senior - BHPian

Re: Camera for a week-end/back-up wedding photographer on a tight budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What kind of photography is he planning to do? For journalism/NEWS, a 400D would suffice but for commercial shoots a semi-pro would be required.
The title says it all sir!!!
"Camera for a week-end/back-up wedding photographer on a tight budget."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
All the body options considered here are very old. IMO if he is seriously getting into professional photography, he should up his budget and get a newer/better body.
They are old thats why they with-in the budget!!! The max budget is 20K including "camera + 18-55 + 50mm prime + memory cards + camera bag. The used 400D fits into this budget very well. But because of my probing nature the 30D came into picture.......... lol. I wanted to understand whether the reasons mentioned do really matter??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Initially, the semi-pro body was not in contention but the following features are interesting:

1. Availability of on-board remote flash commander.

2. Fast hardware/software for better AF, which I think would be crucial for capturing 'moments'.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks