Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:28   #7276
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Where can i get the Canon 500 kit at that price in bangalore man. I am hunting for long time n i aint getting better then 37k.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:05   #7277
BHPian

Where can i shop for second hand camera body and lenses in bangalore?
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:12   #7278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Welcome to the DSLR club. Please post your pictures in the threads of the parent forum. Also, some feedback on your cameras would be great.
Thanks!!! Started to use it will post as soon as I think something is worth putting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Where can i get the Canon 500 kit at that price in bangalore man. I am hunting for long time n i aint getting better then 37k.
Try flipkart.com. They might have it for a lesser price than what you have quoted. They do cash on delivery as well so that you can check out the item before paying.

A Noob question: I was trying out my camera today morning. I live right next to the beach and hence wanted to take a picture of the same with the "misty sheet" like effect. I put it on Shutter priority, 2 sec exposure and clicked and all I got was a bright over exposed image with no beach at all. I tried the manual mode as well with the same shutter speed and F22 aperture. Even then did not get it. I am not able to understand where I am going wrong. If I put it in the normal mode, the beach is clear.

Is it that the exposure was high? If yes, how do I compensate the same? Or is it that due to bright sunlight, I will not be able to get the effect I was looking for? Please help. Quite confused
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:47   #7279
BHPian

@Arvind: You need to set the exposure to 0 always. You will not be able to capture the image with slow shutter during day time. If you decrease the shutter, the light enter camera increases. So if you want to take slow shutter image in day time, put some dark glass in front of your lens.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:53   #7280
Senior - BHPian

As per the sunny-16 rule, if the sun is bright, you should be using f/16 at 1/100 shutter speed with the ISO at 100!!!
Sunny-16: Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At f22, you should be looking at 1/50 shutter speed!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
A Noob question: I was trying out my camera today morning. I live right next to the beach and hence wanted to take a picture of the same with the "misty sheet" like effect. I put it on Shutter priority, 2 sec exposure and clicked and all I got was a bright over exposed image with no beach at all. I tried the manual mode as well with the same shutter speed and F22 aperture. Even then did not get it. I am not able to understand where I am going wrong. If I put it in the normal mode, the beach is clear.

Is it that the exposure was high? If yes, how do I compensate the same? Or is it that due to bright sunlight, I will not be able to get the effect I was looking for? Please help. Quite confused
For the S, A, M modes knowing how to understand the meter reading of you camera will almost eliminate the chances of wrong exposure.

Typically, the meter is shown in the viewfinder(for DSLRs at least). It will be shown as 'minus dot dot dot zero dot dot dot plus' (or something like that). If the indicator is moving towards 'plus' while changing the shutter speeds or aperture, then it means you are over exposing. Similarly the other way around for under exposure. If it is at 'zero', it means right exposure. Do note that you shall get multiple combinations of "shutter speeds, f-numbers, ISO" (to start with) to obtain right exposure. So depending upon the need, you choose the combination.

EDIT: Do read the manual!!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 3rd May 2011 at 10:55.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:11   #7281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
As per the sunny-16 rule, if the sun is bright, you should be using f/16 at 1/100 shutter speed with the ISO at 100!!!
Sunny-16: Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: Do read the manual!!!!
Thanks for the replies. I am reading the manual reached page 57 . Still long way to go though. Let me try some time in the evening with a slow shutter speed to see how it comes out
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:47   #7282
BHPian

Quote:

I guess to get the effect perfectly, you will have to use some filters.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:52   #7283
Team-BHP Support

@ arvind71181 - Very difficult to understand what exactly you're looking for. Suggest you post that pic what you shot and another as sample (as how you like it to be).
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:22   #7284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are lighting situations where your normal metering system will not expose as you intend. In such cases, you need to use spot metering. And spot metering cannot be used without the understanding of zone system.

I had explained this sometime back, see whether it makes sense to you: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1749110
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:43   #7285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
@ arvind71181 - Very difficult to understand what exactly you're looking for. Suggest you post that pic what you shot and another as sample (as how you like it to be).
Hi Rudra sir - I am trying to get an image which looks somewhat similar to the one attached here. (Credit to the original photographer) and I think Pawan has mentioned why I will not get the image when in direct sunlight (quoted below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
@Arvind: You need to set the exposure to 0 always. You will not be able to capture the image with slow shutter during day time. If you decrease the shutter, the light enter camera increases. So if you want to take slow shutter image in day time, put some dark glass in front of your lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There are lighting situations where your normal metering system will not expose as you intend. In such cases, you need to use spot metering. And spot metering cannot be used without the understanding of zone system.

I had explained this sometime back, see whether it makes sense to you: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1749110
Thanks, Samurai. I will look up the post and see if I am able to understand it and come back with questions
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-25.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2011, 13:48   #7286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try flipkart.com. They might have it for a lesser price than what you have quoted. They do cash on delivery as well so that you can check out the item before paying.
I don't think you can check anything except the packaging on Cash-On-Delivery

the delivery guy would just not hand it to you unless you pay up first - and once you have paid it is yours.

The only advantage of CoD is that if the company doesn't dispatch the goods, you don't have to worry and call them ten times after payment.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:58   #7287
Senior - BHPian

Arvind for image like that I guess you need to use ND8 filter or higher like ND8+ND4 stacked depending on light.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:07   #7288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Rudra sir - I am trying to get an image which looks somewhat similar to the one attached here. (Credit to the original photographer) and I think Pawan has mentioned why I will not get the image when in direct sunlight (quoted below)
In bright sunlight even with F22, your correct exposure at ISO 100 is around 1/10 seconds or so.
To take a 2 seconds exposure, and not overexpose the image, you need to wait till evening.

If you do want to shoot in daylight, you need a ND filter.
ND filter is like "sunglasses" for the camera. They reduce the amount of light.
Its like shooting through dark glass.

I have used a ND8 filter in the past, and with ISO 100 F22 and ND8 filter on, I can take shots with shutter speed as low as 1/2 of a second in bright sunlight, and around 2 seconds in shade.

then there are ND16, ND32 filters which allow you to take 5-7 seconds exposures in bright sunlight.
The below shot is 2 seconds in weak sunlight with ND8 filter. I had to stop down the lens to F25 to get proper exposure with 2 seconds.

The DSLR Thread-263784263_xtranl.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd May 2011 at 14:10.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:38   #7289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Arvind for image like that I guess you need to use ND8 filter or higher like ND8+ND4 stacked depending on light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In bright sunlight even with F22, your correct exposure at ISO 100 is around 1/10 seconds or so.
To take a 2 seconds exposure, and not overexpose the image, you need to wait till evening.

If you do want to shoot in daylight, you need a ND filter.
ND filter is like "sunglasses" for the camera. They reduce the amount of light.
Its like shooting through dark glass.

I have used a ND8 filter in the past, and with ISO 100 F22 and ND8 filter on, I can take shots with shutter speed as low as 1/2 of a second in bright sunlight, and around 2 seconds in shade.

then there are ND16, ND32 filters which allow you to take 5-7 seconds exposures in bright sunlight.
The below shot is 2 seconds in weak sunlight with ND8 filter. I had to stop down the lens to F25 to get proper exposure with 2 seconds.
Thanks for your replies.

I now understand that it is not possible to take slow shutter speed shots without ND filters in direct sunlight. I will try the same out this evening then. Let me first try to learn slow shutter speed photography before going on to using filters

PS: Think this forum (and this thread) is a great learning place for people like me
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:56   #7290
Team-BHP Support

Before you upgrade equipment, check out this site to understand exposure: Spot Metering (Spot Meter): Digital / 35mm / Medium Format!
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks