Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 22:11   #7216
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
What is the advantage of the battery grip ?

I wanted to buy an extra battery for my Canon DSLR, while googling I found an accessories called Battery Grip. Would like to know what is the advantage of having battery grip ?

Which RC remote is better for Canon DSLR ?
Advantages:
1) Vertical grip and improved horizontal grip when using long heavy lenses.
2) Shutter button access while holding vertically and couple of other buttons like zoom in zoom out etc.
3) Hold's 2 batteries and also lets you use AA batteries with the supplied tray if you run out of lithium camera specific one's.

Disadvantages:
1) Weight
2) Doesn't fit smaller camera bags

I've been using a Phottix cleon II for over a year now. It can be used wired or wireless and I never had any problems with it. I think I got it for 24$. Well worth it.
Here's their website PHOTTIX® CLEON II - Wireless Remotes
navin_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 23:49   #7217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Anyone one using this lens ??
70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | sigmaphoto.com
I have the non OS version and its really worth every penny. I dont know if its worth paying the extra for that OS as that can be compensated with a higher shutter speed or higher ISO.

Quote:
You already have a collection of lenses and accessories so why not get the battery grip too, its part of the initial upgrades . I use one since an year and find it very useful in every sense. It gives both front and back control wheels for aperture and shutter speed and the shutter release button together with the AF/AE lock too. Not forgetting the doubling up of shooting time and thereby less charging efforts.

In fact it gives a perfect grip to my hand more than any other positives. Close your eyes and get one, but try to stick to the brand, cheaper ones might work, but can cause issues later. The connector pins inside (some 10 or more tiny golden pins) are the most delicate part in this, so precision is very important here. I use the original Nikon MB-D80 battery grip but with the 70-200 heavy lens, it gives some errors as the inside pins tend to move with the tight grip and even a micro milli meter move causes an error.

Guys, I have desperately tried to get the Hoya Pro1D NDx8 or NDx400 in Mumbai but none has the stock including the Interphoto (official dealer) outlets. Looks like Pro1D has no supply anywhere. So, that completes my search in Bangalore and Mumbai. I am in Mumbai till 30th, will search few more outlets to try my luck. Otherwise the only option is to get it from US through friends who are coming in May.

Guys who are discussing about UV filter, ignore it, its a waste of money for your DSLR cams. I had couple of them, but sold it later. It gives no advantages to your images than a mental satisfaction in the name of lens protection. Hood takes care of my protection worries, so I will not put a cheap glass on top of my expensive glass by any chance. Expensive ones might serve some purpose, but I will rather spend that money on some other accessories.
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 00:05   #7218
Team-BHP Support

Shaju, try getting Marumi DHG. You may find that. According to filter tests, it beats hoya.
I am getting Marumi filters for my 67mm 16-85 instead of hoya. Should have them soon!
Old 28th April 2011, 09:25   #7219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Guys, I have desperately tried to get the Hoya Pro1D NDx8 or NDx400 in Mumbai but none has the stock including the Interphoto (official dealer) outlets. Looks like Pro1D has no supply anywhere. So, that completes my search in Bangalore and Mumbai. I am in Mumbai till 30th, will search few more outlets to try my luck. Otherwise the only option is to get it from US through friends who are coming in May.
You may try to get the B+W 10x ND or the SinghRay Vari ND..(try Balaji Impex in Delhi)...I got one (from US :B&H) and it sure is amazing if you are able to use it in an ideal situation. Though with a 8x or 10x ND you need to careful about a lot of things..its not just screwing it in and firing away.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:03   #7220
Senior - BHPian

I just saw this offer on smartshoppers.in. Is this a good deal?

550D with 18-55 IS, 70-300 (dont know if IS or not), 32 GB card, UV Filter, Tripod, Camera bag, Chamois leather cleaning cloth, screen protector, card reader, head phone with mic for 44990 Rs.

The brand name of the 70-300, SD Card, Tripod has not been mentioned. If this is a good deal, then are smart shoppers reliable? Do they provide the option to pick up the items from any of their retail outlets? Do let me know.

flipkart had 550d + 18-55 IS for 34K but is currently out of stock. I dont want all the unnecessary stuff provided by smart shoppers and hence seeking opinions.

Last edited by arvind71181 : 28th April 2011 at 10:09.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:05   #7221
BHPian

Hey Aravind,

I am also looking for exactly same model. I tried getting from US also. Looks like the prices are same there. So i am pretty confused where to buy. Please let me know if you have decided upon on anything or any good deals you come across.

Thanks in advance,
Arun
Old 28th April 2011, 11:09   #7222

Quote:
Guys who are discussing about UV filter, ignore it, its a waste of money for your DSLR cams. I had couple of them, but sold it later. It gives no advantages to your images than a mental satisfaction in the name of lens protection. Hood takes care of my protection worries, so I will not put a cheap glass on top of my expensive glass by any chance. Expensive ones might serve some purpose, but I will rather spend that money on some other accessories.
Sorry but my 24-70 disagrees, I dropped it twice and if UV filter was not there, it would have broken. $50AUD filter that saved $2800AUD lens, its well worth it.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:33   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
In cameras like my D300, the battery grip gives extra 2 fps i.e. 8 fps with the grip, 6 fps without the grip.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:52   #7224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the non OS version and its really worth every penny. I dont know if its worth paying the extra for that OS as that can be compensated with a higher shutter speed or higher ISO.
The newer version is a complete new bulit as compared to the older version.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM USM Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Anyone one else !!!
Old 28th April 2011, 11:57   #7225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Sorry but my 24-70 disagrees, I dropped it twice and if UV filter was not there, it would have broken. $50AUD filter that saved $2800AUD lens, its well worth it.
Won't lens hood give better protection than UV filter?
Old 28th April 2011, 11:58   #7226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
flipkart had 550d + 18-55 IS for 34K but is currently out of stock. I dont want all the unnecessary stuff provided by smart shoppers and hence seeking opinions.
Also, any pointers to reliable shops in Madras for buying the above combination would be a great help.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:45   #7227
BHPian

Quote:
Also, any pointers to reliable shops in Madras for buying the above combination would be a great help

I buy my stuff from Photocraft, Velachery. The prices are competitive best in Chennai. (sometimes cheaper than eBay)

Here's their site. photocraftcameras home. Please note that the site is not updated regularly. Its always best to go there in person.
xander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:05   #7228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Which RC remote is better for Canon DSLR ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Disadvantages:
1) Weight
2) Doesn't fit smaller camera bags

I've been using a Phottix cleon II for over a year now. It can be used wired or wireless and I never had any problems with it. I think I got it for 24$. Well worth it.
Here's their website PHOTTIX® CLEON II - Wireless Remotes
I find the weight helps.

a. it helps balance heavier lenses (I have a 60D)
b. the added weight gives me more stability

additional benefit especially if your camera is wearing a white L lens: Other photographers mistake your body for a 1D! I had this happen to me at my son's school sports day 3 years ago. I whipped out a 40D with battery grip and 70-200/2.8 IS attached and the jaws of the 3 official school photographers dropped in unison. They politely stepped aside and offered me the best view!
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 17:34   #7229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Shaju, try getting Marumi DHG. You may find that. According to filter tests, it beats hoya....
Tanveer, my issue is using it with the UWA lenses. Right now I have Tokina 12-24 f/4 with an Osaka CPL on it, given to me by Riju for a week. Shots at 12mm gives terrible vignetting so I really have to be careful in picking up a thinner filter like the Pro1D type which is also recommended by such UWA lens manufactures. I clearly understand how vignetting is caused by cheaper filters after using the above set up for few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
You may try to get the B+W 10x ND or the SinghRay Vari ND......you need to careful about a lot of things..its not just screwing it in and firing away.
Thanks robin, I am clear about the usage part of it by now. B+W is expensive and not available here, SinghRay also is on the higher side and none has a stock of it. Right now, only issue is the availability not the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Sorry but my 24-70 disagrees, I dropped it twice and if UV filter was not there, it would have broken.....
I would rather prefer a rubber filter if dropping is my routine I am on the DSLR learning path since 2+ years and not even the lens cap is fallen once, because its part of my dear life !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I find the weight helps.........I whipped out a 40D with battery grip and 70-200/2.8 IS attached and the jaws of the 3 official school photographers dropped in unison. They politely stepped aside and offered me the best view!
I had a similar experience at my son's school annual day with the D90 + battery pack + 70-200 with hood, difference was they were press photographers ! Official video guy also interviewed my wife, on her opinion about the school and casually asked me standing aside "which channel do you work for" ?I felt very proud !!
Old 28th April 2011, 19:13   #7230
BHPian

Does the battery grip is different for different Canon EOS model ? I am buying the accessories which should be compatible to 5D Mark II as well for the future. After some googling, I found that BG-E6 is compatible with 5D Mark II, but whether it is compatible with my exisiting Canon 1100D is not sure. 1100D uses LP-E10 battery, google is not showing if BG-E6 can handle LP-E10.

If the battery pack is not compatible with 1100D and 5D Mark II together then I will drop this accessories for time being until I buy 5D Mark II.

Please suggest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks