Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 17:29   #7066
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

In Germany B+W filters are rated very good and they are very slim. They are quite costly as well. I am not sure if this brand is available in India as well. B+W 82mm costing me 198 EUR while Hoya Pro1 82mm costing me 101 EUR. Is there any specification for buying the CPL filter except the size ?
Old 14th April 2011, 17:35   #7067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
In Germany B+W filters are rated very good and they are very slim. They are quite costly as well. I am not sure if this brand is available in India as well. B+W 82mm costing me 198 EUR while Hoya Pro1 82mm costing me 101 EUR. Is there any specification for buying the CPL filter except the size ?
Well if you are comparing B+W , Hoya Pro 1 D or any similar stuff I doubt you can do some tests at home to determine optical quality but there are quite a lots of tests you can find them on 2filter.com.

If your budget is of the order of B+W look at Hoya HD they were introduced in 2009 by hoya ( HD == Hardened glass not high definition), check youtube for all sorts of odd toughness test which people do with them like smashing against corner of table , dropping them etc. Not possible on any other filter.

Only thing IMHO as end user you can test is if you get vignetting at the wide end or not. Hoya HMC are little thick rimmed I own a Hoya HMC CPL in 58mm and found that at 18mm it gives slight vignetting.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:10   #7068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
......with that sort of glass to protect Amit's recomendation of the Hoya 1D is best. No point having a superb lens covered by ordinary glass.
True, Hoya HMC NDx8 77mm is around 2.5k and Pro1 D is 4.5k based on BH pricing. I had got few accessories in Bangalore competing the BH prices. So, hoping it would be similar experience with Hoya too. Waiting for the price quotes from Chennai and Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
....as end user you can test is if you get vignetting at the wide end or not. Hoya HMC are little thick rimmed I own a Hoya HMC CPL in 58mm and found that at 18mm it gives slight vignetting.
CPL performance might be different from ND as I understand. ND is a fixed filtering whereas CPL you can increase or decrease the strength right ? CPL is used for all kinds of shutter speeds whereas ND is used on a tripod 99% of the time. Am I correct ? Just typing here so that my understanding could be verified.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:31   #7069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
CPL performance might be different from ND as I understand. ND is a fixed filtering whereas CPL you can increase or decrease the strength right ? CPL is used for all kinds of shutter speeds whereas ND is used on a tripod 99% of the time. Am I correct ? Just typing here so that my understanding could be verified.
Yes but when you polarize fully it behaves as a 2 stop ND filter would behave if there is no scattered light .

Any way the vignetting was due to the thick rim and disappears if I move slightly above 18mm.

So if you are looking for 10-20 lens forget about any thick rimmed filter be it UV/ND/GND or CPL , The angle of view is really large and if you place your finger near to edge of lens you will see a shadow in image.

This is a test image I posted on JJMF some time back with 58mm Hoya HMC CPL, look at the top left corner. Polarization is perfect as you don't see any glaze on the lake. This is a very good filter for any lens above 18mm.

Login

And check this thread for my review

http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.php?topic=6093.0

Also though HMC is good in flare control when shot against sun directly there is a flare.
Check the last picture on the thread.
If you can afford go for pro 1 D it is thinner so above issues will be fixed.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th April 2011 at 18:35.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:14   #7070
BHPian

Slightly offtopic

Video - How lenses are made

Videos Posted by Image Multimedia: How camera lenses are made | Facebook
Old 14th April 2011, 23:10   #7071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Had seen the video on Discovery channel in Singapore. Nice do.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:10   #7072
BHPian

Quote:
Not a complete answer to you, but from my experience, Ebay India always quotes higher prices than shop rates, its applicable to almost everything right from a computer mouse of 100 bucks to a Pro level lens that would cost few lakhs. Therefore I would never buy from Ebay unless the product I want is only available through them. Why not pick up from the shop itself as you get it right into your hands without any worries on shipping or getting it through someone else ? Specially when you are talking about half a lakh+ !
But, I am getting the lowest quote in Ebay for 550D with kit lens and Canon warranty at 33,199/- (Add to that PaisaPay discount of Rs. 500). Is it possible to get a price lower than this in Bangalore/Chennai? The Bangalore dealer prices including Foto Circle's are higher than this .
Old 15th April 2011, 09:29   #7073

Quote:
CPL behaves like ND but its different in principle. CPL does give 2 stops of light reduction but that is of Scattered light and allows light that is/can be polarised.

When you roate CPL it feels like you can increase/decrease the intensity but you are essentially only controlling polarisation.

For IMAGING ND filter is used mostly with tripods.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:53   #7074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
But, I am getting the lowest quote in Ebay for 550D with kit lens and Canon warranty at 33,199/- (Add to that PaisaPay discount of Rs. 500). Is it possible to get a price lower than this in Bangalore/Chennai? The Bangalore dealer prices including Foto Circle's are higher than this .

Hi Upgrade, The price lower than this !! I have never seen in Bangalore. I bought my canon 550D yesterday for Rs 35250 along with Box, kit, 18-55 IS lens, carrybag and hoya 58mm UV lens.

This was the quote I have received. Since I love to see the product in person and to buy the one directly, I didnt try either flipcart and ebay.in.

I personally feel, ebay is of individual sellers and not sure about the product we receive in hand. The best price i have seen is also from ebay which is 33199, true.

So based on this , you can decide and go ahead.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:33   #7075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
CPL behaves like ND but its different in principle. CPL does give 2 stops of light reduction but that is of Scattered light and allows light that is/can be polarised.

When you roate CPL it feels like you can increase/decrease the intensity but you are essentially only controlling polarisation.

For IMAGING ND filter is used mostly with tripods.
I very well know what you are saying but you omitted a necessary condition in my statement "If there was no scattered light"
Well once you have polarized the light and cut the light in planes other then polarizing plane what you get is reduced light flux the net result in reduction of intensity.

So when you are talking of vignetting there is no difference principally , weather flux intensity reduces due to absorption ( ND) or polarization.

Anyway it is also not absolutely necessary that you use ND only tripod mounted , Creating motion blur is one of the many use cases of ND but not the only use case. A more common use is to reduce the harsh sun.
Also ND8 and ND4 stacked can be used to shoot with open lens to give shallow DOF. I have sucessfully used ND8 to produce soothing photos in mid afternoon
Old 15th April 2011, 11:37   #7076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True, Hoya HMC NDx8 77mm is around 2.5k and Pro1 D is 4.5k based on BH pricing. I had got few accessories in Bangalore competing the BH prices.
Call Naresh. His prices are good.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:56   #7077
BHPian

Hi All, I am looking for a good entry level DSLR for my travelogues and other things. I have budget of 30-40k. And presently zeroed on Canon 550. I would like to know if there any other DSLR to be considered in that range. I would prefer CANON but if any model in NIKON more worthy to buy, than i do not mind. Please suggest.
Thanks in Advance
Old 15th April 2011, 12:24   #7078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Hi All, I am looking for a good entry level DSLR for my travelogues and other things. I have budget of 30-40k. And presently zeroed on Canon 550. I would like to know if there any other DSLR to be considered in that range. I would prefer CANON but if any model in NIKON more worthy to buy, than i do not mind. Please suggest.
Thanks in Advance
Check out the Canon 450D or 500D and new Nikon D3100 also. Nikon and Canon have great entry level cameras. Check out this thread for more info. I guess, 550D will be out of your budget.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:25   #7079
Team-BHP Support

Goodbye Canon...

I have bought a Niikon D7000.
IT was really a spur of the moment decision.
I wanted a weather sealed DSLR with Bill and warranty, and the canon alternative was significantly more.

I was anyways contemplating selling my Tamron 10-24 and getting a 15-85 from canon instead.
Since I was selling my primary lens anyways, I did not need to stick to canon.

The price difference between 7D and D7000 is what tipped the scales!

The DSLR Thread-1251958588_gmwgxl.jpg

The DSLR Thread-1251960743_vclgal.jpg

The DSLR Thread-1251962856_xetd6l.jpg

I bought it body only and it came with 4GB card and a nice case. I also got a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. All Items bought with Bill and warranty.

I am planning to get a
16-85 VR and 70-300VR to complement this setup.

First impressions
AF simply rocks - Even in low light. It certainly beats the 350D. But I think even 7D and 60D have similar fast AF
High ISO is simply amazing.
Viewfinder is from another planet... seriously!

That said, I am kind of struggling with the 2 dial setup and controls. After 5 years of Canon usage, its a bit tricky. But then when shooting FZ-35 I faced the same problem, took me a few days to get used to it.

Haven't taken any serious pics with it, but will definitely try out night scene potraits with it

On a side note. AF during video works, but is slow, but I won't be shooting much video with it. I would have been happy if they had priced it 10K cheaper with no video mode

About the lens
1. Thankfully, a very sharp copy, no front or back focus issues
2. Similar to 50 mm 1.8 from canon in terms of quality.

It can AF with D7000 because it has that focus screw thingy. I do not need lenses with AF motor on this body.

To purchase
1. Infra Red filters
2. CPL
Old 15th April 2011, 12:58   #7080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
But, I am getting the lowest quote in Ebay for 550D with kit lens and Canon warranty at 33,199/- .....prices including Foto Circle's are higher than this .
Thats a first time report ebay selling lower than the local shops, atleast to me. Because I always have the habit of comparing between 4 online sellers (ebay, smartshopper, B&H, jj mehta) and atleast 4 shops multi cities (Jayesh, Naresh, Sathya, Anil). Ebay was always the highest. Please make sure you are not seeing a refurbished item on ebay. I still cant trust these guys somehow, specially any product valued above 5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
....I have sucessfully used ND8 to produce soothing photos in mid afternoon
Amit, please give some links to some of it, I am very curious to see how you guys are utilizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Call Naresh. His prices are good.
Wow, this guy is famous out of Bangalore ? Frankly, he has some attitude issues Navin. I picked up my Sigma 18-50 2.8 and Tamron 90mm 2.8 from him last year, although it was the same quoted by Jayesh. Just wanted to check him. But some of my friends had bad experience as he was acting funny with prices and never even rounded off a 150 buck, which made me stop going there, atleast in support of my friends' hurt feeling. He has regular PROs who pick up stuff from him, may be thats making him less aggressive and friendly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have bought a Niikon D7000.....
Congratulations Tanveer !!! I saw your Tamron ad and guessed you shifted boats I am holding back my wish to move to Canon. You are the 3rd person whom I know moving to Nikon. Recently Riju went to pick up D7000 but ended up buying D300s.

Most Viewed