Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 10:03   #7816
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Where is your car parked? In open or in basement under shade. if its in open then a big no if its in basement, then may be you can
Its parked out in the open so am not going to risk it. Though with the way Madras's climate behaved yesterday, I might have got away with it
Old 7th June 2011, 11:20   #7817
BHPian

Guys, I am on the lookout for a decently used Sony A850/A900 in India, if anyone of you have any info, please PM me.

Thanks in advance and good day!
Old 7th June 2011, 17:13   #7818
BHPian

I gave a search for nikon d90 on ebay.in and couldn't find even one used item on the block. Amazing! No one wants to sell used cameras thru ebay.in i guess :(
Old 8th June 2011, 09:33   #7819
Senior - BHPian

WindRide, I did see one on eBay - D90 with 18-55mm kit and 55-200mm telephoto for about 48,000 INR.

Here is the link:

Nikon D90 Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens | eBay

At the other gurus on the forum, could you please advise me on whether I should go for the Tamron Di 90mm Macro or the Nikon 60mm Micro. Apart from build quality inherent to these lenses etc. are there any parameters that will affect macro photography? I know that 90mm allows me greater distance, but will the magnification be truly 1:1 when compared to a 60mm? Right now these are the only lenses I have within money range.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:52   #7820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
WindRide, I did see one on eBay - D90 with 18-55mm kit and 55-200mm telephoto for about 48,000 INR.

Here is the link:

Nikon D90 Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens | eBay

Thats a huge price for a used one with 18-55 lens. The new d90 with 18-105 lens will cost only 55k.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:07   #7821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening

Thats a huge price for a used one with 18-55 lens. The new d90 with 18-105 lens will cost only 55k.
I am not sure how good is the deal but there is a telephoto lens offered along with it.

Secondly, D90 commands a good resale price.

Lastly, the condition and usage decide the resale value.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:18   #7822
BHPian

Compared to the plethora of used camera options on Ebay US, its indian counterpart is literally bare. When there are many other photographic sites having a busy buy/sell corner, wonder why we Indians haven't taken kindly to ebay.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:52   #7823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Compared to the plethora of used camera options on Ebay US, its indian counterpart is literally bare. When there are many other photographic sites having a busy buy/sell corner, wonder why we Indians haven't taken kindly to ebay.
I was thinking of putting my tamron 10-24 on ebay.in, but due to fees and VAT(12.5%) the cost gets prohibitive. ebay.in does not differentiate between used and new items.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:33   #7824
BHPian

Proof that the new Nikon 50mm 1.8G is better than the older 1.8D - both in sharpness wide open and in bokeh. This user has compared them properly-

Nikon 50mm 1.8G - Digital Grin Photography Forum
Old 8th June 2011, 19:44   #7825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... should go for the Tamron Di 90mm Macro or the Nikon 60mm Micro......that 90mm allows me greater distance, but will the magnification be truly 1:1 ......
Tamron 90 is a true 1:1 macro lens and there is nothing to complain about it, I have used it for 6 months and sold, because I found the working distance was not enough for my taste. If I buy a macro lens again, it would be Sigma 150mm or something similar. Also remember an extension tube could give you very close results on a 50mm lens. Check it out, because you will save a lot.

After discussions and waiting, I just placed my order for the MC-30 cable release from ebay HK for Rs.364 (free shipping). Although Tanveer suggested registered airmail by paying extra, I could not find any link to that option. Hope it reaches in 7 days.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 23:01   #7826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
D90 has inbuilt motor for auto focusing non AF-S lens. So you can buy the 50mm AF lens for 5K+ instead of expensive 1.8G lens.
Quote:
also check out Nikon 85MM 1.8 D lens. it can produce better bokeh than a 50mm on a DX body. good for portraits
Dear Shenoy,
Thanks a lot for your tip. I did read about the 85mm 1.8D and it seems like a very good portrait lens. I shall try to find a place in Bangalore where i could try it out. The only thing i wonder though is, if i would ever be able to use it indoors. Not unless i stay in a palace
Btw, is there a place in Bangalore, similar to the Canon Experience Store, where one can try out the lenses before buying them?

Quote:
PS: best for portrait would be 135 F/2 with Dofocus Control but costs 60K INR
Way beyond my budget bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Normally people use 2x the focal length (compared to the normal" for portraits. Hence as the 35mm is approximately equivalent to the normal lense for DX format, an 80mm is what would be ideal for portraits.
Thanks a lot Roy. The new 50mm 1.8G seems quite good and on my D90, it should be close to 80mm. The only question is what i've asked above, wouldn't it be too long for indoors (i meant, like a 2 BHK)?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Also, could you guys share some experiences/suggestions for a UWA?

Warm Regards,
Deepak
Old 9th June 2011, 05:53   #7827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Btw, is there a place in Bangalore, similar to the Canon Experience Store, where one can try out the lenses before buying them?
I doubt Nikon has such a store. They were planning to set up some a while back though.

Quote:
The new 50mm 1.8G seems quite good and on my D90, it should be close to 80mm. The only question is what i've asked above, wouldn't it be too long for indoors (i meant, like a 2 BHK)?
The short answer is - No. The long answer is No, unless you are thinking of doing wide angle stuff indoors.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 09:23   #7828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I doubt Nikon has such a store. They were planning to set up some a while back though.

The short answer is - No. The long answer is No, unless you are thinking of doing wide angle stuff indoors.
Full length potraits become impossible with a 50mm 1.8 on a crop sensor body unless you have a palatial home.
So as long as you go face only or torso only its okay, but for full length you need big rooms.
Thats why even 35mm 1.8 is preferred for potraits by some on crop sensor bodies.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 13:21   #7829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Roy. The new 50mm 1.8G seems quite good and on my D90, it should be close to 80mm. The only question is what i've asked above, wouldn't it be too long for indoors (i meant, like a 2 BHK)?

k
As long as you can focus the lense at the "portrait" distance it is not too long.

The reason for long lense is that when you take formal portraits, you would like the background to be OOF, that is easier with long lenses. If you take a portrait at 7-10 feet, the subject should ideally fill the whole sensor (you waste less that way). For full length portrait use slightly shorter lense and for head & shoulders a longer lense.

To select the "ideal" focal length, use the lense you have. Adjust the subject so that it fills the full view. If you are too close for comfort, you need a longer lense, if too far you need a shorter lense. Again the wider the aperture (smaller F number), the more the back ground goes out of focus. That is why a lot of photographers use F1.2 in 35mm and F2 in Medium Format for portraits.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:13   #7830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Full length potraits become ....
Thanks for that clarification. But what is a full length portrait? I thought that the face has to predominate in portrait photography.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks