Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 16:53   #7876
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Iam planning to order an old manual focus lens from adorama US. The price is extremely attractive.

Will I be required to pay customs duty on shipping an used item to India? What's the formula applied for this duty?

What are the gotchas to keep in mind?
Old 13th June 2011, 17:48   #7877
Senior - BHPian

Guys, was just searching for a quick comparo between D5100 and 550D , and found a interesting discussion on a other forum . Hope I am allowed to post the link. here it is
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1684266

No AF in D5100 will result in increasing the lens cost as you got to buy the lens with a focusing motor. I am a little confused now, because I was kind'a sold on the D5100 for it's features .
@Trilok : do update the latest price of the 550D ?
Old 13th June 2011, 17:53   #7878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Gurus, any idea on a portable and affordable battery pack option available in India to drive total 800WS strobes please?
Well do not know how affordable it is but Broncolor is available

Broncolor Nano package - Shari Academy Blog

You can contact Vihang for current prices. Here is the UK price list to get an idea. http://www.lovegroveconsulting.com/p...celist2010.pdf
Old 13th June 2011, 18:19   #7879
BHPian

Thanks Aroy, but not exactly what I am looking for; the Bronc is the entire power pack that stays near the photographer for controlling lamp heads that may be further away and more importantly, it is way way out of budget

I have much simpler needs, a portable battery pack to power two monolights, total 800 watt-second. The product in the link below is the kind what I am looking for, any info about local availability is a big help.

Innovatronix Incorporated | Products
Old 13th June 2011, 18:51   #7880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....portable and affordable battery pack option available in India to drive total 800WS strobes please?
Have you checked the Elinchrom Ranger RX series ? I have seen them with RK or Jayesh, can not recall where. Affordability is a big question mark anyway. Cant we customize and make one as we have plenty of UPS/Inverter/Battery units (branded and non-branded) throughout Bangalore ?

I have an unused APC RS-1500 UPS with extra battery pack. Will I be able to convert it to strobe power support if I am in your shoes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
.....Jayesh is your man......
Ha ha, take that with a pinch of salt, he is not as friendly as before. New staff is rude and hard to hit with bargains. Quality of accessories have gone below, cheapest Chinese things are sold for a premium. I have gone to him atleast 5 times and referred plenty of friends and most of them have called me from the shop when it came to final bargain. Looks like he is no more interested in bargains, another dumb head is given charge of customer interaction and he does not know how to round off even Rs.20.

My last purchase was reflective umbrella, light stand, adapter etc. Adapter lever broke the same day. Umbrella was very cheap quality although I paid a premium, the metal stick is already bend at many places and I regret that purchase even today. A friend of mine saw this and said he got two sets of the same from eBay for my price. That was the last nail to the coffin I never carry cash for my purchases, so 2% service charge always go as a waste while swiping my card at his place !!

My take: he might be good at certain products, certain packages. Always compare online and store prices and chose the best.

Last edited by shajufx : 13th June 2011 at 18:54.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:08   #7881
BHPian

Yes saw that at RK, Jayesh does not keep much of these stuff, this again is a power-pack and too costly an option, so went ahead with the FX series monolights which now requires external battery pack for outdoors.. the list never ends

I have read extensively about many people using generators especially from Honda and Yamaha to power these lights outside but the generator option has to be at least 3-4 times the wattage of the lights for safe use because the power draw is high in a short time, very easy to kill the generator it seems. Then again these pure power generators at high rating cost above a lakh.
Even I have an inverted lying around at home but that is not pure sine-wave so not taking chances with the lights.

Let's check out the July exhibition, maybe there will be things of interest. After all the reading up, it seems the portable battery pack is the best way to go, these are made for particular usage, so peace of mind.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:19   #7882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes saw that at RK.....Let's check out the July exhibition, maybe there will be things of interest.....portable battery pack is the best way to go, these are made for particular usage, so peace of mind.
Lets go together buddy, your number is lost when I shifted from blackberry to vivaz, so please PM me. I have soft box, backdrops, reflectors, flash gels etc in my tiny list of things. Going and bargaining alone is no fun too
Old 13th June 2011, 21:04   #7883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Ha ha, take that with a pinch of salt, he is not as friendly as before. New staff is rude and hard to hit with bargains. Quality of accessories have gone below, cheapest Chinese things are sold for a premium. I have gone to him atleast 5 times and referred plenty of friends and most of them have called me from the shop when it came to final bargain. Looks like he is no more interested in bargains, another dumb head is given charge of customer interaction and he does not know how to round off even Rs.20.

My last purchase was reflective umbrella, light stand, adapter etc. Adapter lever broke the same day. Umbrella was very cheap quality although I paid a premium, the metal stick is already bend at many places and I regret that purchase even today. A friend of mine saw this and said he got two sets of the same from eBay for my price. That was the last nail to the coffin I never carry cash for my purchases, so 2% service charge always go as a waste while swiping my card at his place !!

My take: he might be good at certain products, certain packages. Always compare online and store prices and chose the best.
Oh! I didn't know that. My last purchase was 6 years ago! I heard he has even shifted shop,to a bigger and better place? I will tell my experience when I will visit him in a month or so for my DSLR.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:16   #7884
BHPian

Can 70-200mm L 2.8 IS

Hi,
I have a mark I (not Mark II) lens for sale in Hyderabad. Please check the classifieds if you are interested.

Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 21:22   #7885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I heard he has even shifted shop,to a bigger and better place?
Bigger and better shop facility in a building with enough car park etc. for Rs.10 a hour.
Just that the boys out there act too pricey and none are easily approachable for ametuars like me anymore, unfortunately (yeah time=money formula and no free suggestion/education? i guess). I guess this is another shift that happened, alongwith the place.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:42   #7886
Senior - BHPian

@Shaju, GD:
Those are negatives for the camera buying public. Not for people like you and me. Hope you get the drift.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:12   #7887
Senior - BHPian

Anybody looking for D90 body in Bangalore or nearby??
Can look here : Nikon D90 DSLR Camera for Sale( Body Only) - Bangalore - Cameras - Camera Accessories
It's available for 30K (used)
Old 13th June 2011, 23:23   #7888
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need a tripod/monopod suggestion. Planning to get from the US and my budget is $250-300 including the tripod, monopod and head. I remember seeing a tripod in which one leg was removable and could be used as a monopod (will save cost), but can't seem to find it.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:27   #7889
BHPian

I have purchased a Nikon D3000 couple of months back. I have a requirement of a zoom lens & am confused between the following:-
1) AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
2) AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
Please advice.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:47   #7890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
I have purchased a Nikon D3000 couple of months back. I have a requirement of a zoom lens & am confused between the following:-
1) AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
2) AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
Please advice.
What range do you need:

I would suggest following two:

1. AF-S DX VR 70-300mm

or

2. Replace your kit 18-55 with AF-S DX VR 18-105

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks