Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 21:42   #7861
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Well i have an eye on the Nikon D5100, Initial research shows its very good buy considering it little more expensive than the 3100, but has better capabilities.
Nikon D7000 is over my budget, so what do you guys suggest on 5100?
Even I am sold on the D5100. Read the review here
Nikon D5100 Review - Is Nikon's latest DSLR Camera right for You? and here
Nikon D5100 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
and to show off it's capabilities Nikon has shot the Ad for D5100 using the D5100. Read here
Nikon films latest D5100 advert using D5100 DSLR: Digital Photography Review

The 18-105mm lens will overshoot your budget, it will come in the range of Rs. 20k and above. Buy the camera with the 18-55mm kit lens and then get a 70-300mm Sigma or Tamron lens.
A Nikon 55-300 mm lens will cost you around 20K here
Photography Camera Lenses shop -buy Digital Camera Lenses | SLR Digital Camera Lenses | low price Photography Lenses in india..
Here is the Nikkor 55-200mm lens for some 11.5k
http://www.smartshoppers.in/product/...-4-5-6g-if-ed/
I am still in researching mode so, masters here can provide a better clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I don't think the 5100 has the focusing motor.
So, my recommendation would be D90 + kit lens+ 50mm F 1.8D.
Yes there's no AF in the 5100, but read somewhere that modern lenses will be able to overcome this drawback and it will not be much of an issue.
Otherwise the camera is fantastic.

I have seen some deals online which offer Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens at around 54k. How good is that ?

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 12th June 2011 at 21:53.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:00   #7862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmanchau
Yes there's no AF in the 5100, but read somewhere that modern lenses will be able to overcome this drawback and it will not be much of an issue.
Well, if he decides to use the 50mm 1.8D after getting the 5100 (like I did with the 3100), it would be very very difficult to get the sharpness.
I usually have no issue with it in bright light, but in low light (where the 50 1.8 shines), the AF-assist light doesn't work and it's a real pain and I can't get the subject to maintain the pose for trial and error shooting.

Solution, get the D5100 , but get the twice as expensive 35mm 1.8G DX or the 50mm 1.8G
Old 12th June 2011, 23:41   #7863
BHPian

Hmm, Guys, I have posted before, I think the time has come (6 long months!), What are the negatives of the D90? Though my old lenses would fit, is it wise to go in for the kit? kindly suggest accessories, I do need a good tripod, heavier the better * perhaps something newer than what we have * Best place to buy, Dass seems to be good from my exp and the best price in chennai. Is it worth the risk going grey?

thanks!
Old 13th June 2011, 06:06   #7864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Well, if he decides to use the 50mm 1.8D after getting the 5100 (like I did with the 3100), it would be very very difficult to get the sharpness.
I usually have no issue with it in bright light, but in low light (where the 50 1.8 shines), the AF-assist light doesn't work and it's a real pain and I can't get the subject to maintain the pose for trial and error shooting.

Solution, get the D5100 , but get the twice as expensive 35mm 1.8G DX or the 50mm 1.8G
I use a 35 mm f1.8 G DX - I had got it for about 12k - and it's a pretty good lens.

Just thought of sharing a sample from 35mm f 1.8G DX, taken 5 minutes back. This was clicked after I made the previous post, so mods please excuse me for making repeated posts.

This was taken indoors under an incandescent lamp at f1.8.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-jgp_2146.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 13th June 2011 at 08:08. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 13th June 2011, 08:31   #7865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Hmm, Guys, I have posted before, I think the time has come (6 long months!), What are the negatives of the D90? ....thanks!
Negatives of the D90:
1. Discontinued
2. Not optimized for video shooting

Everything else is subjective.

You are welcome.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 10:01   #7866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
.... I do need a good tripod, heavier the better * perhaps something newer than what we have * Best place to buy, Dass seems to be good from my exp and the best price in chennai. Is it worth the risk going grey?

thanks!
A good tripod has these qualities

. Should be sturdy and free of vibration
. Should be light (subjective, but a boon if you have to carry long distances)
. Should be able to carry the weight of equipment and not unbalance due to odd shaped load - long telephotos.

That said there is nothing available for less than $300 (15k). What you get at the lower end are just legs, which invariably wobble with the camera on it. The minimum load carrying capacity should be 6kg. That takes care of a fairly large DSLR + medium telephoto lense. A preferred one is 10kg+.

Wood is a fairly good material and some European ones are relatively light. Carbon fibre is the preferred material but horribly expensive. I have always like the wooden tripods and they are available for around 15-20k.

Tripod Report 1032/P from Berlebach ® Tripods is ideal for normal use and it should cost around 20k with customs duty.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:00   #7867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
....go for the ~2000mAH Eneloop batteries from Sanyo to power them. The Yn's should have built in optical slaves as well, I am not familiar with the 467.....
Thanks buddy, not even seen around these days ? Busy ?
SB600 is working on 2500 Ni-MH Sanyo batteries (orange color) and I find the recycling time very good, in fact the highest of all available rechargeable cells. So, planning to get the same from Sukh Sagar mall. I was cheated twice on cells of Sony and Panasonic from usual electronic shops, both were fakes that lasted less than 3 months ! My friend at SS mall atleast shows me both fake and original, so that the money paid is justified.

YN467 has slave 1 and slave 2 slots, though I am not sure how that functions. This is the cheapest flash with needed features I could find online and my neighbor is using it since an year without any complaints. I was happy with the images he showed me and the build quality of the lens, so decision was quick

I did not mean using the diffuser on every flash, just mentioned it comes in the pack as FREE. Softbox can not be replaced with anything else. I am waiting for the Photo Today exhibition that will take place in Bangalore on 2nd July. We might get some decent bargains. I got my first mini soft box from previous year exhibition for 100 bucks which Jayesh is selling for 250 !

Jayesh is losing his value as he is behaving very weird, reported by some of my friends. I am sure the day is not far when Flipkart will take over the market with happy customers all over. Atleast I can save 2% extra charge on my credit card (which Jayesh never fails to charge) and get a free delivery at home, even with a cash on delivery, all this for a lower price than anyone else around ! What more can I ask for ? I have not bought anything from them, but I have half a dozen friends already taken many lenses and flash, all delivered within 48 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Negatives of the D90:
1. Discontinued.....
Ha ha, that's not a negative buddy ! D90 is still a beautiful piece of creation, if any day I downgrade from a full frame to cropped, I would still search for a D90. Market still has stock of it and its in demand as ever before. Video capability is not a criteria for judging a DSLR. My D700 is 1.25+ lk and it has no video Nikon D40, D40x, D60 etc are all discontinued models but its still used by a huge group of enthusiasts and studio shooters.

For those who want to use all types of Nikon lenses in a new body, look nothing less than D90. All lower models will make you spend more on a G lens which will end up saving on a body and lose 5 times of that on lenses. D90 is a rocking body with AF-D lenses.

Note: I am not a brother of Ken Rockwell nor of Gordon Laing. I comment on things what I have used, its an individual opinion and does not promote any brand or shop or individual in anyway. It also does not mean a rival brand is inferior !
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:51   #7868
Senior - BHPian

I almost wanted to write the same Shaju, but you beat me to it. D90 is a wonderful piece of machine and still more than relevant. I, sometimes, do wonder why people look for video capabilities in a DSLR. Or is it a fact that a whole movie was shot on a 7D that has started this trend?

Why not buy a decent handycam if want to shoot video? Or talking about reverse logic, does one buy a handycam to shoot stills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Ha ha, that's not a negative buddy ! D90 is still a beautiful piece of creation, if any day I downgrade from a full frame to cropped, I would still search for a D90. Market still has stock of it and its in demand as ever before. Video capability is not a criteria for judging a DSLR. My D700 is 1.25+ lk and it has no video Nikon D40, D40x, D60 etc are all discontinued models but its still used by a huge group of enthusiasts and studio shooters.

For those who want to use all types of Nikon lenses in a new body, look nothing less than D90. All lower models will make you spend more on a G lens which will end up saving on a body and lose 5 times of that on lenses. D90 is a rocking body with AF-D lenses.

Note: I am not a brother of Ken Rockwell nor of Gordon Laing. I comment on things what I have used, its an individual opinion and does not promote any brand or shop or individual in anyway. It also does not mean a rival brand is inferior !
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:59   #7869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Why not buy a decent handycam if want to shoot video? Or talking about reverse logic, does one buy a handycam to shoot stills?
Ans 1: Handycam does not give same quality , If your needs are serious.
DSLR video is for venturing in to a new hobby and difference is just like between DSLR and P&S still shot.

Ans 2 : Many handy-cams have a still shot mode

Both video in DSLR and stills in handy-cam have use, If you don't want to juggle between lots of equipments.

Having said that you need to assess your needs if Video is not important ignore it.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th June 2011 at 12:00.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:21   #7870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hi All,
I hope this post is relevant here. I am looking to buy my 1st DSLR, i have no idea about them, so far i have been using Canon point and shoot model. But i want to grow up and get some thing that i will surely keep with myself for 10 years at least.

Well i have an eye on the Nikon D5100, Initial research shows its very good buy considering it little more expensive than the 3100, but has better capabilities. Well this is going to be my starting camera that i will use for learning as well, i am not a photographer but take the camera out for occasions only.

Nikon D7000 is over my budget, so what do you guys suggest on 5100?
Also i do not know whats the difference between lenses, is 18-55 lens which comes enough? or should i put more money and get 18-105 that comes with the 7000 model?

i have no idea, and do not understand most of the pro conversations in this forum, so it would be helpful, if you all can also list out some equivalent models that i can look out below 40K.
Hello Friends, I have a similar query on which DSLR to buy. I own a Nikon F50 SLR that is nearly 10 years old. Have not used it much since the dawn of good point and shoot digital cameras. Currently using Canon SD400 that is also 6 years old. Works extremly well and will continue to use it for regular usage.
1. Initially I had though of D3100 but now looking for D5100 with kit lens (18-55mm I believe its same as 3x optical zoom). My budget is around 40k INR and looks like D5100 is a better choice. Please comment on the choice considering the budget.
2. I think The EOS 550D from Canon is in similar bracket. Can this be considered as alternative? which is better?
3. Would I be able to use the 18-85 mm lens from my F50 SLR onto the D5100 or for that matter any Nikon DSLR?
4. Got a quote of 38699 INR + 4 GB SD card + camera bag for D5100 at Croma. Is this reasonable?
5. A brand new D90 is also available at Croma but its out of my budget (58k INR)

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 13th June 2011 at 12:22.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:30   #7871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...Handycam does not give same quality.......If you don't want to juggle between lots of equipments.......
Advanced HD cams have got better quality amit, but they are expensive. DSLRs have proven its capability on high quality videos, at the hands of professionals. And I must add it takes more equipments than a dedicated HD cam to work on field. Check out this video completely taken by Canon 7D (I know these guys personally, they are from Cochin), but using all the outdoor equipments like cranes, tracks etc. not forgetting the dozens of things required to keep a DSLR steady on a moving base.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:44   #7872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I almost wanted to write the same Shaju, but you beat me to it. D90 is a wonderful piece of machine and still more than relevant. I, sometimes, do wonder why people look for video capabilities in a DSLR. Or is it a fact that a whole movie was shot on a 7D that has started this trend?

Unfortunately for all their hype, Canon and Nikon DSLRs are not the correct tools to shoot video for a amateur, unless you are doing planned shooting.
The reason is that most of these do not have fast Contrast detect AF, and therefore you have to rely on MF.
Cameras which do have Contrast detect AF(D7000) are too slow to be of real use in action.

Fortunately, for those wanting terrific quality video from their DSLRs, panasonic has introduced 120Hz sampling in their GF3, which means really nice AF in video, and its almost as fast as the best phase detect systems out there.
Since its Contrast-detect, the problems of Backfocus and front focus simply go away.

These cameras give much better HD video quality than your 600$ Handycam.
Of course you can always buy a relatively large sensor handycam(2500$), but DSLR allows you to have same quality for 600-700$

Another wonderful "side effect" is the narrow DOF, which can lead to very nice creative videography, which is out of the reach of a normal handycam shooter.

For example, if I do a planned shoot with a 50mm 1.8, and D7000, I will have the ability to shoot lovely night videos, with nice bokeh, and subject isolation, which is impossible in consumer DSLRs.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:54   #7873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My friend at SS mall atleast shows me both fake and original, so that the money paid is justified.
Good to have such friends, will have to come meet you someday

Even I am waiting for the photo equipment exhibition, it would my first time though!

Heard that Jayesh is taking up the Zeiss dealership in Bangalore starting next month, maybe that's why the gradual change in outlook.

Yn S1 is usually the slave channel, used a couple of them with other brand flashes for some time now, heats up at times on full power continuous shots, something to watch out for, good options anyhow.

Gurus, any idea on a portable and affordable battery pack option available in India to drive total 800WS strobes please?
Old 13th June 2011, 14:00   #7874

Dear BHPians,
I have a quick question. I have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT), which i had purchased about 3 years back. I had already purchased supporting lens for the same (canon 17-85mm IS, Canon 70-300mm DO IS). I am thinking of upgrading my camera to latest Canon 550D, which will also fit the lenses i have.

Is anyone aware of any shops in Bangalore who can exchange 350D with 550D, obviously with additional cost involved.

Any pointers in this regards will be really helpful.....

Thanks & Regards
Trilok...
Old 13th June 2011, 14:31   #7875
Senior - BHPian

@ Vtech guy.

The quote of 58k INR for D-90 is with 18-105mm lens.

A D-90 with 18-55mm should cost you around 48k INR. If they don't have 18-55mm kit, buy the body and the lens separately.

Also, do check out at other stores, you might get a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok View Post
Dear BHPians,
I have a quick question. I have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT), which i had purchased about 3 years back. I had already purchased supporting lens for the same (canon 17-85mm IS, Canon 70-300mm DO IS). I am thinking of upgrading my camera to latest Canon 550D, which will also fit the lenses i have.

Is anyone aware of any shops in Bangalore who can exchange 350D with 550D, obviously with additional cost involved.

Any pointers in this regards will be really helpful.....

Thanks & Regards
Trilok...
Jayesh is your man.

Ph No: 9845022654

Last edited by sachinj12 : 13th June 2011 at 14:57. Reason: Additional info.
sachinj12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks