Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 00:42   #361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I have Pentax Film SLRs and hence my first preference would be to go to a Pentax DSLR so that I can reuse my lenses.

Please advise on K200D. Comparing with its Canon and Nikon breathren.
If you are buying anything other than Canon or Nikon, be ready to do lots of research by yourself. Also, the shopkeepers in India rarely stock non-Canikon bodies or lenses, and they have very little resale value.

I am an Olympus dSLR owner since 3 years, so I speak from experience of owning an offbeat model camera.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:13   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you are buying anything other than Canon or Nikon, be ready to do lots of research by yourself. Also, the shopkeepers in India rarely stock non-Canikon bodies or lenses, and they have very little resale value.

I am an Olympus dSLR owner since 3 years, so I speak from experience of owning an offbeat model camera.
Yes, that's the same thing I faced with my Film SLR. But do you really think that going for a whole hog Canon/Nikon system is more advisable?

Have to put more Vitamin M?
Old 15th January 2009, 09:25   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Searched the thread for Pentax DSLR, but could not find much information.

I have Pentax Film SLRs and hence my first preference would be to go to a Pentax DSLR so that I can reuse my lenses.

Please advise on K200D. Comparing with its Canon and Nikon breathren.
Pentax DSLRs haven't been so popular in India as compared to their film counterparts and finding auxiliary equipment as well as service is a big problems here. More ever Pentax is playing a catchup with these two market leaders and has a limited range for its camera models.

Pentax K200D (also K20D) is a good camera which is suited for users who want more control, hence you see that the JPEGs as well as RAWs from Pentax cameras are less processed. It has image stabilaztion built into the body where as Canikons have it in their lenses. This obviously makes the canikon lenses more costly. But the down side for Pentax is that if you want these lenses in India you wont find much options available, similarly third party lense manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron dont offer a wide choice of lenses with Pentax mounts.

If you have invested heavily in Pentax lenses then probably (because your old lenses are 35mm size films but K200D has APS sensor, so a 50mm lense would be equivalent to approximately 75mm when mounted on this DSLR) its a better idea to buy Pentax because K200Ds inbody image stabilization will automatically work.

I would suggest you study all these aspects. Personally I feel that Pentax cameras are slightly costlier then their equivalent Canikons but are a better choice as the cost for lense comes down drastically if you plan to buy more lenses.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:42   #364
Senior - BHPian

Bit OT,but an info regarding which cam was used to capture the next President of USA along with lens/setting info.
President Obama's official portrait: the first ever taken with a digital camera - Engadget
Old 15th January 2009, 09:52   #365
Team-BHP Support

Well, another brownie point for Canon users. Obama does have that Vulcan look. Live Long and Prosper.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:14   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Btw, the grey price for canon 450D with 18-55 IS kit lens, 4GB memory card and a bag is 35K or thereabouts.
Can i have more details of this place? if its in BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
I was also in similar dilemma, and then zeroed in on 1000D instead of 450D, as I am just a beginner in DSLR photography, although I have tons of experience with prosumer p&s cameras like S5 IS etc. I didnt feel I could do full justice to the advanced features on 450D as compared with 1000D, as I am just a beginner with DSLR.
Yup same dilemma, will i really need it and yes am also at beginner level
Old 15th January 2009, 10:28   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Not sure if this needs a separate thread, but still I will go ahead and request team-bhpians to post the list of shops in Bangalore who sell photo equipment at competitive prices, these could be both B/W or grey merchandisers.

If you have a prior experience (good or bad) as well as a reference it would be nice to have it posted here for benefit of other membbers.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:01   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Yup same dilemma, will i really need it and yes am also at beginner level

Sure. I got mine from Jayesh Mehta, of FotoCircle. His shop is in Chickpet.
Another person is Naresh Raheja of RK Photguide. His shop is somewhere near National Market i think. Google for them and you will get their numbers.

I found Jayesh more courteous (and cheaper!) than Naresh, but in the photography circle, opinion is equally divided between who is preferred. Jayesh quotes prices via sms. You sms him the equipment you want and he replies with prices.

I believe when it comes to cameras, its better to go with something that is more advanced than what you can handle, or know, currently. Gives you room to learn more.

Amitoj
Old 15th January 2009, 12:08   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I believe when it comes to cameras, its better to go with something that is more advanced than what you can handle, or know, currently. Gives you room to learn more.

Amitoj
Exactly. If budget is not a limiting factor, why limit yourself to features that you know/feel comfortable with currently? You can only keep learning and will soon overgrow your camera(basic) if you are an avid photographer. Buy the best your money can buy.
Old 16th January 2009, 08:22   #370
BHPian

Here are the addresses of couple of shops in Bangalore which I found on internet.

FOTOCIRCLE
2 K.V. Temple Street, S.S.K. Sangha Building,
Near Balepet Circle, BANGALORE

Contact Person - Jayesh Mehta
Phone - 080-22874256
Mobile- 9845022654

R. K. PHOTOGUIDE
No. 11, Tajmahal Hotel Building
Gandhinagar, BANGALORE

Contact Person : Mr. Naresh Raheja
Phone - 080-22251929 ,080-22244114
Mobile- 09844051929
Email Address - rkphotoguide2001@yahoo.com
Old 16th January 2009, 10:07   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi everyone, I have posted the following in the digital camera forum thread. Thought of sharing in this thread too. Read on...

Guys, I thought of taking FZ28 but have decided to go ahead and invest in a dSLR. I'm planning to take Canon 450D after reading the reviews and also after consulting a colleague of mine, Naveen, who is also a member on this forum. Thanks to him, I got to know a new store in Hyd. He is also into photography and owns a Canon 400D and has adviced me to go ahead with a 450D.

I'm not sure whether guys here know this or not but in Hyderabad, there is a store called Pixetra, which currently sells cams of all brands, with receipt and warranty. Though their range is not very huge, I think they have most of the brands and models. You can access their website here pixetra - buy digital cameras, camera accessories, hobby optics and order photo prints online in India (I hope I'm not flouting any rules of the forum. ), which hosts everything from the features, the price, and to what the package contains. I found it very helpful and will be visiting this store soon to get my 450D.
Try TJC (Tokyo Japan Center), Koti. Most of the commercial photographers in hyderabad get their stuff from there. Grey market but reliable is what I have heard. Prices would be the lowest in Hyderabad.
Old 16th January 2009, 10:10   #372
Team-BHP Support

Thanks amitoj i think ill decide this weekend or else it will have to wait for couple of months more

First priority 450D right now.
Old 18th January 2009, 17:11   #373
Senior - BHPian

Guys suggestion

A good Camera (DSLR) in the budget of around 25000

Mostly for wildlife and normal outings.
What all lens will i want and what will be the price with the lens.

Suggestions
Old 18th January 2009, 20:52   #374
Senior - BHPian

In 25000, you won't get a camera + lens to do wildlife. Better go with an ultra zoom point and shoot.
Old 18th January 2009, 21:08   #375
Senior - BHPian

What are the options available with me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks