Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 19:36   #421
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am in a big mess and its a very very strange issue.
I clicked 4gb worth of shots today at Surajkund on my Canon 40D. I came back home and put the card in card reader which I purchased today itself. The card was detected and appeared as a removable drive and then went off just like that! It then kept on doing it, detect, undetect, detect undetect and light kept on blinking. I thought it was an issue with the card reader so I put the card back into my camera and connected it to my PC. Strangly my Canon 40D was recongnized as a Digital Camera only and appeared in my computer as the same.
I double clicked on it to get to the pictures but again was not able to do so. It gave me a weird error saying some process is accessing the memory so it cant be done. I didnt had the EOS utility installed, so I installed the full suite of Canon utilities that came with the camera thinking that this will resolve the issue.
Connected the cam to PC again and started the EOS utility myself. The EOS utility gave an error saying it cant detect the camera!
I removed the CF card from the camera and then connected it to the PC again. Now this time it was detected as Canon 40D and the EOS utility could see it too.
The CF card is working fine in the camera, I can see all the pictures, can zoom in and zoom out. I even took a couple of shots to see if I can write as well and no problems there as well.
Now how do I take the pictures out from the CF card? I cant do it through cam and I cant do it through the card reader as well.
One option is to format the card and then recover the photos via sandisk recovery software, but then the 40D doesnt give me an option for a low level format and If I select the full format option then I cant recover the pictures.
Can anyone suggest me something? Can it a problem with the camera? Or is it a problem with the CF Card or a simple corruption issue?
Please help me out!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 7th February 2009 at 19:38.
Old 7th February 2009, 19:57   #422
Team-BHP Support

Which card reader is this? Don't get me wrong but cheap card readers are notorious for these kind of behaviour.

If you format the the card now, all your shots will go permanently.

Suggestion: Take a card reader from someone you know and which is working perfectly. Transfer all images to your PC. Format the card and see if the problem comes back again.

I suspect the reader here.
Old 7th February 2009, 20:01   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Which card reader is this? Don't get me wrong but cheap card readers are notorious for these kind of behaviour.

If you format the the card now, all your shots will go permanently.

Suggestion: Take a card reader from someone you know and which is working perfectly. Transfer all images to your PC. Format the card and see if the problem comes back again.

I suspect the reader here.
Thanks for the reply Rudra!
If card reader is at fault I should be able to copy images from my cam alteast. Another strange thing is when I insert the card in my Cam it is recognized simply as a 'Digital Camera' and as Canon 40D without it.
Old 8th February 2009, 05:26   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hoping he sends me the details today. All those folks in US can look for a good deal at circuit city they are apparently giving a 40% off on all cameras. He is some long time member there so got some goodies extra for no extra cost.
Apparently, all the nice stuff is gone in the circuit city over here. They were mostly selling display items at a markdown of 30-40%(Like D40 kit was available at 340$ or so) but why buy something which people have played around for months on end?

There was a Canon 50D kit brand new at 1119$, but Canon isn't what I am interested in.
Old 8th February 2009, 17:02   #425
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
but why buy something which people have played around for months on end?
Box packed one. He did open it after getting it home to check on it. Had to open it anyways to not attract custom charges.

The display one's are available all through the year for a discount. You could have picked one too. They dont wait till they are closing down the store to sell their display items at a discount
Old 15th February 2009, 15:37   #426
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have been looking through this thread from time to time and have finally decided to go for an DSLR. I presently have a Canon A 610IS, which is quite a good camera and am generally more comfortable with canons. I am just looking to go for a basic lens which comes with the camera right now. Other lens maybe in a years time.

The cameras that i have shortlisted are:

1) Canon 1000D- Presently the most suitable choice, as it comes right at the right price (Around 30k) and is a Canon, and is said to be not too different from the 450D. Feels a little plasticy, tough. And while i have no idea, i fear that i might outgrow it in a 2 years time and want to spend on a better body.

2) Canon 450 D- The camera that i really want but it is pricey (42k), i will have to stay in this job for 2 more months instead of quitting soon as i plan to.

3) Nikon D 40 - Most sensible buy. But for some reason i dont like the feel of it, or the menu.

Could anyone help me here.

Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 11:18   #427
BHPian

Manolin, Please go through the last 2/3 pages. This same topic has been discussed multiple times.

Just in case, if you don't have the patience, Nikon D40 has been relegated to the bottom tier of desirability list multiple times. The current fav. is Canon 450D if you feel like going the Canon way. If you are a Nikonian, select D90 or nothing else below it (D60 isn't much different than D40/x).
Old 16th February 2009, 11:47   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Rudraji, I called Naresh.

He said he does not have either lens and was playing hard to get so I asked locally and am getting the 85/1.8 for 21K in mumbai now to get the 28/1.8 and that hood for the 17-55.

If Maresh can get me the 2 lenses and hood then cool I'd rather deal with one source but otherwise just ask him for the 28/1.8 and hood and I'll get the 85/1.8 lcoally.
21k for 85/1.8 seems woefully pricey. I was quoted 16k odd by both Naresh and Jayesh a month and half ago when I was looking for it. Finally ended up purchasing it from a tbhp'ian who was selling it for 13k odd. The bonus was the lens was virtually new - under 50 exposures on it and was a really sharp copy.
Old 16th February 2009, 15:10   #429
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone let me know where can I get the Tamron 18-270 in India?
Old 16th February 2009, 17:46   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But, for an SLR, is it advisable to have a 15X zoom with all probably inherent distortions and aberrations?
Old 16th February 2009, 22:50   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you care for image quality, you should not go for any zoom lens that offers more than 5x magnification.
Old 17th February 2009, 00:24   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you care for image quality, you should not go for any zoom lens that offers more than 5x magnification.
Yup I understand, but I am looking for flexibility as of now.
Old 17th February 2009, 08:28   #433
BANNED

Guys,
I am new to SLRs and DSLRs.. I am going to Hongkong in march and was planning to get one from there.. Any suggestions as to make, model and features I should be looking at?
My budget is 20-25k Indian Rupees.. I guess cams there are cheaper so a model worth approx 30-35k INR should be available at 20-25k there. Pls help.
Old 17th February 2009, 09:59   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Guys,
I am new to SLRs and DSLRs.. I am going to Hongkong in march and was planning to get one from there.. Any suggestions as to make, model and features I should be looking at?
My budget is 20-25k Indian Rupees.. I guess cams there are cheaper so a model worth approx 30-35k INR should be available at 20-25k there. Pls help.
Canon EOS 1000D with std 18-55 IS lens.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:19   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
21k for 85/1.8 seems woefully pricey. ..Finally ended up purchasing it from a tbhp'ian who was selling it for 13k odd..
I'm still looking Naresh has not sent me a price. Can you chase him for me?

Quote:
Superzooms serve little purpose on DSLRs he only reason I can even fathom is tht youare going into a really messy envrioment (read as rain, snow, and dust) and want to cover the body and lens with weather proofing so cant change lenses. Otherwise even the 18-55/55-200 combo will outperfrom the 18-270 or Sigma 18-250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Hong Kong is not cheap anymore. For 25-30K you may get the following kits
Olympus E-520/420 with 14-42mm Lens & 40-150mm Lens
Nikon D40 with 18-55mm & 55-200 VR Lenses
Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm & 55-200 IS Lenses
Nikon D60 with 18-135 lens

The Oly 420 kit is your best bet. The others will be a little bit over 25K (say 30K).
Nikon D40 vs. Canon 1000D: Beginners Questions Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by navin : 17th February 2009 at 10:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks