Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:03   #571
BHPian

@Samurai
Well decided to go for the Nikon D700. Already tied the knot, now getting to know her..she need to build a rapport with me now I am trying as much time as I cud with her! Haha! Totally loving the new experience.
Regards and thanks,
TG.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:12   #572
Team-BHP Support

Wow, congrats! Your first dSLR is a full-frame... Damn! That explains the long wait.

$2400 just for the body, and what lens did you buy?

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd March 2009 at 12:15.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:35   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Samurai
Well decided to go for the Nikon D700.
Oooh, that was something big. Congrats TG. I am sure we will get to see your brilliant shots on the non-auto image thread on a daily basis.

I am also on a serious thought about my first DSLR, but my budget is around $1000 only. Not able to make up my mind between D90 and EOS450d. I already have a pretty good Sony camcorder, so not very keen about D90's HD video. Also too many positive reviwes on D80 makes my decision very difficult.

I have been reading reviews and posts on this thread and also many from web. Still I would keep my eyes and ears open for more from experts.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:38   #574
BHPian

Quote:
@Samurai
Well decided to go for the Nikon D700. Already tied the knot, now getting to know her..she need to build a rapport with me now I am trying as much time as I cud with her! Haha! Totally loving the new experience.
Regards and thanks,
TG.
CONGRATS....!!
Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old 22nd March 2009, 13:58   #575
BHPian

Quote:
@Samurai
Regards and thanks,
TG.
Congrats!!! That's an awesome camera to start with. Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Oooh, that was something big. Congrats TG. I am sure we will get to see your brilliant shots on the non-auto image thread on a daily basis.
Which thread is that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I am also on a serious thought about my first DSLR, but my budget is around $1000 only. Not able to make up my mind between D90 and EOS450d. I already have a pretty good Sony camcorder, so not very keen about D90's HD video. Also too many positive reviwes on D80 makes my decision very difficult.
Both the camera are very good. Infact I've from time to time used my friends D80 and I found it to be better than the opening end Canon's like 400D/450D in many way. Though I am a Canon user. But, apart from the fact that Nikon has more expensive lenses when you go way up the order. The bodies like D80 etc are really good and a bit better than the Canon ones. Anyway you can't go wrong with either camera's in this segment.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:46   #576
BHPian

@torqy
@Sjkoova
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. And yeah i will enjoy the honeymoon for sure, though its quite a task at the moment!
@samurai
Thank you for that! Well yeah, i had my eyes on the D700 ever since you had drilled the DSLR thought into my head. So had been waiting to get the resources together for this buy, it took a long time coming, but I guess well worth the wait.
This is the system I got:
D700 body
MB D-10 Battery pack
Nikon 50mm f1.8 D - my B&B lens
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR with a 2x teleconverter
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 AFS
Nikon SB900 strobe
Weatherproof bag
Manfrotto monopod
8gig Memory flash card
And here is the link to my first ever DSLR click. Do check it out(I hope its ok to post a flickr link here, If not please delete this off.)
Entering DSLR territory. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Regards,
TG.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:34   #577
Team-BHP Support

Holy Cow! That's like $7500 worth of equipment!

I can almost hear some of the regulars of this thread falling off the seat, even fainting in some cases.

I vaguely remember telling you to switchover to dSLR, and you have gone the whole nine yards my friend, and I am desperately trying to remember what I said. I am sure you will make the best use of these goodies.

You probably are the best equipped amateur photographer on Team-BHP now. What is that statement, Rudra Shrugged...

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd March 2009 at 15:54.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:56   #578
Senior - BHPian

Minolta 70-210 F4 on Alpha 200

My Minolta 70-210 mm lens has arrived from US. Here's a picture of the lens mounted on my Alpha 200. It does dwarf the camera! The lens weighs more than the camera box.

The DSLR Thread-minolta70210-alpha-200.jpg
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:05   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post

Which thread is that??
Here it is.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1224750

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Both the camera are very good. Infact I've from time to time used my friends D80 and I found it to be better than the opening end Canon's like 400D/450D in many way. Though I am a Canon user. But, apart from the fact that Nikon has more expensive lenses when you go way up the order. The bodies like D80 etc are really good and a bit better than the Canon ones. Anyway you can't go wrong with either camera's in this segment.

Regards,

Anirban.
I guess the 450D scores well on the price/performance card. What do you say?.
450D is available at around $670 (brand new) on ebay and B&H photo
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:11   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Last trip I took I had an Acoustic guitar in one hand, a SLR system (body+4 lenses+flash) in my back pack and they still let me carry a small carry on. I guess it depend on the airport staff.
At Leh airport? I've read in the rules that they don't allow and hence I didn't took the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I've carried hand-baggage to Bagdogra Airport in 2005, is this a new rule?
This is the input I got from a relative who recently travelled from that airport, I myself don't have first haqnd experience of this airport.

BTW, congrats TG on your new possession. Now we will be treated with man many more no of photos.
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:30   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
At Leh airport? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Last trip I took I had an Acoustic guitar in one hand, a SLR system (body+4 lenses+flash) in my back pack and they still let me carry a small carry on.
No to goa on Jet.

Quote:
@Samurai
Well decided to go for the Nikon D700.
which lenses a camera like that demands the best glass.
24-70/2.8 (sorry no VR)
70-200/2.8 VR
85/1.4
35/2.0
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:09   #582
BHPian

@Torqueguru: Congrats on your new camera,good to see that you got a DSLR.
Looking forward to seeing more amazing shots.
Enjoy your new toy.
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:20   #583
BHPian

@Samurai
Well,i am seriously going in the direction of photography now. A long long long way to go though. So I thought of this as a life long investment, also i am pretty sure I will end up with these lenses even if i buy cheaper ones now, in the process spending much more than what I spent now, So might as well get these, that was the thinking behind going for it. Like Navin said, no compromise on the glass. And I too dont remember exactly what you had told me, but i do know for a fact that. It was from a discussion over macros and composition that fired me up and later a comment from you, telling me it's the ideal time for me to make the shift, since you were seeing much better compositions.
@Navin
I have posted the Lens system I got above in one of the posts.
@Jayz
@kaushik
Thank you buddies!

Regards,
TG

Last edited by Torqueguru : 22nd March 2009 at 22:23.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:02   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Holy Cow! That's like $7500 worth of equipment!

I can almost hear some of the regulars of this thread falling off the seat, even fainting in some cases.

You probably are the best equipped amateur photographer on Team-BHP now. What is that statement, Rudra Shrugged...
I'm still recovering.... after the fall that is. I'd be hesitant to call him an amateur, if nothing else, out of respect for that equipment.

Quote:
This is the system I got:
D700 body
MB D-10 Battery pack
Nikon 50mm f1.8 D - my B&B lens
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR with a 2x teleconverter
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 AFS
Nikon SB900 strobe
Weatherproof bag
Manfrotto monopod
8gig Memory flash card
Quote:
@Samurai
Well,i am seriously going in the direction of photography now. A long long long way to go though. So I thought of this as a life long investment, also i am pretty sure I will end up with these lenses even if i buy cheaper ones now, in the process spending much more than what I spent now, So might as well get these, that was the thinking behind going for it. Like Navin said, no compromise on the glass. And I too dont remember exactly what you had told me, but i do know for a fact that. It was from a discussion over macros and composition that fired me up and later a comment from you, telling me it's the ideal time for me to make the shift, since you were seeing much better compositions.
That kit is beyond serious TG. The 70-200 VR is the best they've ever made in that range. And the 14-24 is as exotic as it gets. That is one special lens and will hold its value forever - it might even appreciate like the 28/1.4 did after it was discontinued.

The only thing I would have changed is to get the new 50/1.4 AF-S instead of the 50/1.8 (since breaking the bank was an option ).

Congratulations .....
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:00   #585
Team-BHP Support

Wow TG, so you finally took the plunge which was supposed to happen within a year or something
Congrats.
Thats some equipment, I have fallen off my seat !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks