Old 27th March 2009, 18:32   #601
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this news
Canon will be launching the EOS 500D Rebel T1i
Here is the link

Some of the features are

Features at a glance:

• 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
• Full HD movie recording with HDMI connection for viewing and playback on an HDTV
• ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)
• 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting
• Max. 170 large JPEG images in a single burst
• 3.0” ClearView LCD with Live View mode
• 9-point wide area AF with cross type centre point
• High speed DIGIC 4 performance and superb image quality
• EOS Integrated Cleaning System
• Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites, including new Speedlite 270EX, TS-E 17mm f/4L and the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II.
Old 27th March 2009, 22:29   #602
BHPian

Congrats Anirban!!! You are gonna rock wid that, i know.
Regards,
TG.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:11   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Just came across this news
Canon will be launching the EOS 500D Rebel T1i
Here is the link
Videos on this should be good to have! Not a necessary feature at all, but still good to have. Definitely good for some extraordinary clips taken by the extraordinary lenses. A Fisheye lens for example.

This camera will beg for a 32Gigs SDHC card! anything less and it would be a squeeze.
Old 30th March 2009, 03:27   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Nomad! Enjoy clicking!

Do post a brief review of 50D after you take some shots.
Thanks buddy. Will post a quick review for sure. Meanwhile these are some test shots for you.

The DSLR Thread-_mg_9599.jpg
Exif: Aperture 4.0, Focal length 50mm, ISO 800, Shutter speed 1/15
The DSLR Thread-_mg_9617.jpg
Exif: Aperture 8.0, Focal length 50mm, ISO 320, Shutter speed 1/20
The DSLR Thread-_mg_9623.jpg
Exif: Aperture 1.8, Focal length 50mm, ISO 800, Shutter speed 1/13
The DSLR Thread-_mg_9634.jpg
Exif: Aperture 1.8, Focal length 50mm, ISO 500, Shutter speed 1/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Let's know the cost and shop details.
I got it via an importer in Chennai for 54k. Will ask my friend for the shop details who got the camera for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Congrats Anirban....Happy clicking and what you "shot" your fiancee? 50D induces violence, I didn't know...
Thanks alot!! Yes man I shot her lol. Not with a bullet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Congrats Anirban!!! You are gonna rock wid that, i know.
Regards,
TG.
Thanks Torqueguru. Well for now I'm introducing her to photography. But, if all plans fall through. She might accompany me for Raid de Himalaya's 2010 as my co-driver.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:18   #605
BHPian

For all of us here dreaming about renting lenses and using it in field or even use it as a try out before buying, look no further, one of India's finest nature photographer Sudhir Shivaram is planning to rent out lenses,but before that he has created a poll so that he gets a kind of response he expects before he starts his venture. I have talked to the guy before and he is serious about this. Participate in the poll here:

Lens Rental Poll

Last edited by redrage : 2nd April 2009 at 10:20.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:45   #606
Team-BHP Support

I see it is only for Canon/Nikon users. Understandable considering the low volume of Olympus/Sony/Pentax users. So I can't vote there.

However, I feel Sudhir's poll lacks a vital info. He might get a very enthusiastic response since no rental rate or deposit requirements are mentioned. If he is renting out a lens worth Rs.4 lakh, he obviously has to take a huge deposit. Most voters may balk at the amount once it is revealed.

Reminds me of a scene from Clear & Present Danger:
[Jack needs a helicopter]
Jack Ryan: I'm here to rent the Huey.
Helicopter owner: We don't rent it anymore, but it is for sale.
Jack Ryan: How much?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner: Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan: How much is that?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.

Source:Clear and Present Danger (1994) - Memorable quotes
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:59   #607
Senior - BHPian

You said it all Sharath. I've, though, voted at the poll.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:47   #608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You said it all Sharath. I've, though, voted at the poll.
Ok, you are a Nikon user. However, it presents another problem. You are a Delhi resident, how are you going to rent it from Bangalore?

Our legal and law-enforcement framework is not matured enough to ensure safe rental practices of such high-value and fragile items.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:56   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I see it is only for Canon/Nikon users. Understandable considering the low volume of Olympus/Sony/Pentax users. So I can't vote there.

However, I feel Sudhir's poll lacks a vital info. He might get a very enthusiastic response since no rental rate or deposit requirements are mentioned. If he is renting out a lens worth Rs.4 lakh, he obviously has to take a huge deposit. Most voters may balk at the amount once it is revealed.
Maybe he does have a plan and a select range of lenses to rent, he has already quote none of the hyper expensive- telephoto primes, so its out of the question for lenses in the range of 4 lakhs at least most of them.

I have mentioned clearly in the opinion column too that its the price which he asks and cover what he would decide to ensure the safety will be the deciding factor.

If i wanted to try out a 300 f4 or a 400 5.6 L lens in the field before buying and i need to pay some deposit and the lens rent depending of the amount/affordability factor. i would say this is definitely a great chance for people like me who are investing.

Well they do it in the US, why not here. Lets see how this takes course. As you said if the amount is too high definitely people are going to back out. Then the only chance would be to go to a dealer and shoot in and around the vicinity.

Last edited by redrage : 2nd April 2009 at 12:01.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:04   #610
Senior - BHPian

I voted at the poll and in the comments section mentioned that if I don't invest in the Sigma 150~500 then would like to rent the 2X convertor when I visit B'lore...

I ditto the second paragraph...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, you are a Nikon user. However, it presents another problem. You are a Delhi resident, how are you going to rent it from Bangalore?

Our legal and law-enforcement framework is not matured enough to ensure safe rental practices of such high-value and fragile items.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:19   #611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Maybe he does have a plan and a select range of lenses to rent, he has already quote none of the hyper expensive- telephoto primes, so its out of the question for lenses in the range of 4 lakhs at least most of them.
I am sure he has a plan, but since he has not revealed it, the voters don't really know the terms of the rental while voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Well they do it in the US, why not here.
I know that, but we don't have the legal/law-enforcement framework to replicate that here. I can't imagine Sudhir hiring goons to collect his lenses.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:43   #612
BHPian

Getting the D90(body only)for 35k along with 18-200VR at 43k.This is with 2 yr warranty(2nd year is labour only).So should i go for this gurus?

Note :This depends on the retailer getting approval from South Zone dealer for a bulk order to the tune of 5lacs on D90s or some gyan in those lines.

Edit : Could the poll be just a marketing exercise for potential SLR lens buyers at each price bracket?

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 2nd April 2009 at 12:44.
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:00   #613
BHPian

Lens renting

Hi Folks,

I had registered on Team-BHP a long time back when I was planning to get a 4 wheel drive for my wildlife photography. Did not realise they even have a DSLR thread. Thanks to Dilip for the pointer.

Well, to provide some answers to the questions raised here on the lens rental poll:

- I do not plan on taking any deposit for the rental.
- To start with, I do not plan on getting the high value lenses (the 500mm or the 600mm etc).
- Rental cost per day will not be high. Probably in the range of Rs 1000 to Rs 1400 for L series telephoto and less than 1000 for the wide angle and macro. Cost per day will come down if rented for more than a day.
- Want to make sure its a win win situation for both me and the person renting.
- Of course, there are lot of additional benifits which will come with the rental which I am still working on.

This concept is something new in India and I am not aware of anyone who has tried it before. There are a lot of questions unanswered and it will be a learning exercise for me.

I know of one person who provides lens for rent in Bombay and he takes a huge deposit. Another person in Bangalore who rents lens gives it only for studio purpose and he sends his person along with the lens. When I wanted to rent it from him, he turned my request down and mentioned that he will not give for wildlife photography.

Some part of this venture will be based on trust as I know a lot of folks who have attended my photography workshop in the past and needs this service. And yes, the credibility of the person renting the lens is important. How will I go about verifying that is something I am working on.

And Samurai, that's a good quote from Clear and Present Danger. I liked that movie so much that I had bought that video tape (10 yrs back) and had watched it more than 50 times All that Jack Ryan series were fantastic.

Please feel free to e-mail me for any more queries or inputs.

Rgds,
Sudhir
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:40   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Getting the D90(body only)for 35k along with 18-200VR at 43k.This is with 2 yr warranty(2nd year is labour only).So should i go for this gurus?

Note :This depends on the retailer getting approval from South Zone dealer for a bulk order to the tune of 5lacs on D90s or some gyan in those lines.

Edit : Could the poll be just a marketing exercise for potential SLR lens buyers at each price bracket?
D90 body only at 35k is a steal!!! Are you sure about the pricing?
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:55   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
D90 body only at 35k is a steal!!! Are you sure about the pricing?
well , he quoted around 38k , but hoping since I'm buying the 18-200 as well and I bought a FZ18 about 6 months back,that i can shave off 3grand from the D90 price.

Edit : reply to the post below : Yes boss Avi , I've been bitten by the shutterbug ever since you were able to take photos at high ISO when i was trying to meddle with shutter speeds(without a tripod), lol.This was the Bidar trip where in some of your snaps are peachy!

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 2nd April 2009 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks