Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 01:08   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
I gave the EF-S 55-250 IS a thought too but then decided to save up for a while and get the EF 70-300 IS instead.
I think that's a better decision. The new breed of IS enabled lenses like 55-250mm, 18-55mm are not really upto the mark lenses. They've just been pepped up due to stiff competition from Nikon's entry level VR series lenses. Otherwise, I personally feel that the 70-300 IS is way better. Though yes it's a bit steeply priced but it's worth that extra cost. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review You can compare the images in this review for the 70-300 IS with 55-250 IS. Anyway...yes it's also true that if someone saves a bit more then they might get a L glass which is top notch in it's class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It's called Der Untergang. The Downfall.
Thanks man. Yes I found it too thanks to IMDB.

Quote:
@NomadVagabond: Thanks for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 feedback.
Your most welcome.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 11th April 2009, 01:48   #752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I somehow never thought of it that way ... my idea being that the 70-300 IS was way better (opinion not formed out of experience but reading too much into forums) . And when I think of it that way, I could actually go for the 55-250 IS instead of waiting to be able to get the 70-300 IS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
I think that's a better decision. The new breed of IS enabled lenses like 55-250mm, 18-55mm are not really upto the mark lenses.
Unfortunately in India you dont get to try and buy. If you were in South Mumbai I'd gladly lend you my 70-300 to try.
Old 11th April 2009, 01:58   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Unfortunately in India you dont get to try and buy. If you were in South Mumbai I'd gladly lend you my 70-300 to try.
Well now you have Canon lounges in 3 cities in India where you can try out almost the entire Canon series of lenses before you make a decision to buy. The few lenses which are not present there all the time are the 400mm 2.8, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4 and the 800mm f/4 (The last lens is yet not in the lounge inventory).

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 11th April 2009, 11:40   #754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well now you have Canon lounges in 3 cities in India
Where in Mumbai? I'd be grateful to know. DO they sotck primes lenses as well.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:21   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Where in Mumbai? I'd be grateful to know. DO they sotck primes lenses as well.
There you go.

Mumbai
Canon Image Lounge
Atria Mall, 3rd floor.
Dr. Annie Besant Road
Worli, Mumbai - 400018
Tel: 022-24813640
Direct: 24813641
Fax: 24813642

Canon India

They got almost all their lenses boss...all even the T.S lenses. That's where I got my hands on the 180mm f/3.5 macro. Otherwise that lens is so rare to see. You'll go completely drooling over the place!!! And if you go there take a CF card along and you can test the equipment using your own card as well. Get all the latest brochures, new materials etc etc. And yes they got a book in there related to the EOS range. See if they have it and go through it. They don't have it for sale though. But, the book is awesome.

Regards,

Anirban.

@ Navin.

Off Topic question. Can you please tell me why T-BHP shows me having 2 posts??
Old 11th April 2009, 16:37   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Canon Image Lounge
Atria Mall, 3rd floor.
They got almost all their lenses boss...all even the T.S lenses. That's where I got my hands on the 180mm f/3.5 macro. Otherwise that lens is so rare to see. You'll go completely drooling over the place!!! And if you go there take a CF card along and you can test the equipment using your own card as well.

Cool that means that if I take my own body I can check the lenses on my body as well.

Will look into your post count.
Old 11th April 2009, 16:57   #757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Because you're posting only in photography related threads. All photography related threads come under Shifting Gears where number of your posts don't count.

It's time to remember Anirban that Team-Bhp is essentially an automobile forum.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:44   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will look into your post count.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Because you're posting only in photography related threads.
Voila. I checked and Rudra is right.

Also note that posts in some of the forums do not add up to the post count. The excluded forum sections are:
1. Introduce Yourself.
2. Shifting Gears.
3. Collection of the best threads.
Old 11th April 2009, 19:19   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Because you're posting only in photography related threads. All photography related threads come under Shifting Gears where number of your posts don't count.

It's time to remember Anirban that Team-Bhp is essentially an automobile forum.
That's bad news for me!! Damn!! That means it'll take me ages to pass the 50 post limit. The few posts I had posted in the relevant forums went un-answered which I had posted for the Gypsy. And well me not having much knowledge or insight about vehicles gosh I can see a tough time ahead of me. Thank you sir for telling me where the issue is.

Quote:

Also note that posts in some of the forums do not add up to the post count. The excluded forum sections are:
1. Introduce Yourself.
2. Shifting Gears.
Thanks Navin.

Anyway, the gypsy query which I had...the idea I mean might get scrapped. And guess what??? This is going to be my fiancee's and my first joint purchase. We're thinking of getting a gypsy together and do the thing we love to do most. That's wandering around in the wilderness...hehe. It's gonna be fun. My parents gonna freak out when they come to know about this.

Regards,

Anirban.

P.S: I'll try to make some more active contribution towards the other sections and see if I can cross the 50 post limitation. But, gosh it's gonna be difficult for me.
Old 11th April 2009, 22:32   #760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's bad news for me!! Damn!! That means it'll take me ages to pass the 50 post limit.
Well, you are not alone. There are some members who are hardly known outisde of camera/image threads.

Regarding the Gypsy query, have you tried searching the existing threads? When any already discussed question is repeated, it tends to go unanswered sometimes.
Old 12th April 2009, 11:33   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, you are not alone. There are some members who are hardly known outisde of camera/image threads.

Regarding the Gypsy query, have you tried searching the existing threads? When any already discussed question is repeated, it tends to go unanswered sometimes.
Well yes I did search through the entire forum regarding that particular query and that was the only thread where such posts were already present. Anyway now that's irrelevant.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:34   #762
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the list:

Gadgets, Computers....
TBH-Meets

These two also don't add to post count....

Quote:

1. Introduce Yourself.
2. Shifting Gears.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:25   #763
BANNED

Finally, I joined the gang guys.. Got a Nikon D40x DSLR with a 18-55 VR lens. Its a very basic DSLR which i thought would be good for starting up. Will upgrade to a better one later.

Any person from Bangalore who will be free on weekend to teach me the basics. I know nothing about DSLRs other than Clicking in an auto mode.

Last edited by zerocritical : 14th April 2009 at 12:28.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:31   #764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Any person from Bangalore who will be free on weekend to teach me the basics. I know nothing about DSLRs other than Clicking in an auto mode.
Before learning dSLR you need to learn photography. I suggest you sign up for Sudhir's class.

The Jungle Look/info/resources/photography-workshop
Old 14th April 2009, 12:56   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Finally, I joined the gang guys.. Got a Nikon D40x DSLR with a 18-55 VR lens. Its a very basic DSLR which i thought would be good for starting up. Will upgrade to a better one later.

Congrats, welcome to the club. I have the same camera with same lens set-up. How much did you got it for?

Most Viewed