Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 14:19   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
any pointer of websites or links? It would be of great help.

It might be of help.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:24   #782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
It might be of help.
Thanks for that TG.

Last edited by zerocritical : 15th April 2009 at 14:28.
Old 15th April 2009, 21:09   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
But, now I'm looking towards the Sigma 10-20mm or the Canon 10-22mm for a much needed wide angle lens. The Sigma is therotically a better lens and has proven to be giving better IQ than the Canon one. You can check the reviews and take a judgement. All the best.
I would like to disagree here that Sigma 10-20mm is better then the Canon 10-22mm. I would actually rate the Canon one a notch higher (just a bit). And it's not from the online reviews but from own experience. But the Sigma lens is also a very very good lens unless you are the unlucky one to end up with a lemon. Yes, be little careful if you are going for the Sigma as some of these lenses have very bad corner sharpness issues. But Sigma will be happy to replace them I guess.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:19   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Is the D40x still selling/available? Here in Delhi it is not...
Older models get out of the market and demand very soon in India. In Delhi you will have a hard time to find even a D60 these days. D40X is way beyond the limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I would like to disagree here that Sigma 10-20mm is better then the Canon 10-22mm. I would actually rate the Canon one a notch higher (just a bit). And it's not from the online reviews but from own experience. But the Sigma lens is also a very very good lens unless you are the unlucky one to end up with a lemon. Yes, be little careful if you are going for the Sigma as some of these lenses have very bad corner sharpness issues. But Sigma will be happy to replace them I guess.
Hmmm...how would you categorize that tiny bit of better performance than the Sigma? I'm just trying to understand and know. I've used the Sigma 10-20mm for a while from a friend of mine. And I found it quite sharp when stopped down to about F/7-11 which is common for landscapes. The Canon lens is kind of over priced for it's built quality and the extra 2mm of zoom which it provides over the Sigma for almost the same IQ. Yes you are absolutely right that Sigma has issues with consistency of the lens quality. Some of my friends who started with photography along with me ended up with totally kaput Sigma 70-300mm's while I got lucky with my copy of the same lens. About Sigma replacing the lens hehe...I'd love to forward you a masala mail between my friend and Sigma Japan over a Sigma 17-70mm which has AF and contrast issues over the past 4-5 months. And has spent a good time first at Sheetla (Hyd) who are the distributors for Sigma and then in Japan...and after all that time he got it back this week and it still has the same issues. So, for purchasing Sigma I'd suggest check the lens 10 times before you buy them.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th April 2009, 04:33   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I dont know about the canon 10-22 mm lens, but the sigma 10-20mm for sure has some corner sharpness issues, i have seen it first hand with my a good friend of mine. I thought that may be it was a one off defective piece, she got it replaced but the issue was still not resolved.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:11   #786
Team-BHP Support

For sharpness, the Tokina 12-24 is the best. Its sharp all over and at all apertures.
However CA can be bit of a problem(But thats correctable in PP)
Old 16th April 2009, 08:46   #787

Hey.. I would suggest you a AF-S 18-135mm ED in your budget.. Its a pretty decent lens for shooting both telephoto and wideangle scenic shots!! You can get it for approximately $270..
Also, you could think about getting a refurbished lens from a wholesale dealer in NY, named Cameta Cameras. They sell authentic goods, and you could possibly get a better deal from them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, Can someone suggest a good lens to upgrade as i am still on the standard 18mm-55mm lens that came with my Nikon D40x.

My mom is coming back from US next month. So is it a good idea to buy online from any US online retailer and get it delivered there so she can carry it back when she returns?

a) Looking for VFM lens
b) Any link to the lens price would be helpful
c) Any link to it's review/comparison would also be much appreciated
d) Budget is Rs.10k-Rs.15k max
Old 16th April 2009, 09:14   #788
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer,
I have been looking for a wide-angle and Tokina seems the best fit. Any word about the prices here!
Old 16th April 2009, 09:29   #789

Hello guys!! How are you all doing, well I would assume you all are doing pretty awesome as long as you all are clicking your cameras!!

I was sent the link to this forum from a very close friend of mine, perhaps 2 months ago, and since then there is no day I skipped looking into these posts, Atleast ones a day I would hit this website and straight away shoot into the photography thread and check for any updated posts/replies!! I have a great admiration for few people under this thread who are constantly striving to help others and give significant solutions!!

Well, actually for not being among you guys, sharing your experiences and ideas!! As usual I am late, but I am finally here!

From couple of months my fingers are glued to a Nikon D200 with a 18-135mm and a 50mm!! I would prefer clicking in manual all the time!! This is a kinda brief intro about me!! I wish you guys bless my finger to keep clicking another few thousands of shots!

Attached are couple of pics I shot recently!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-water-plant.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0304.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0196.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 10:06. Reason: 2 smilies per post
Old 16th April 2009, 09:44   #790
BHPian

The second capture is awesome v4u.
Please also take time to go through the forum posting etiquette at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...etiquette.html.
Old 16th April 2009, 09:54   #791
BHPian

Rocky, his posting etiquette is fine, he just needs to go through this Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Introduce yourself to know that, there is a 2 smiley per post rule.

virus_4uall welcome to the forum. have a pleasant stay here
Old 16th April 2009, 10:16   #792
BHPian

Oops my bad, Thanks for the correction buddy.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:16   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thanks Tanveer,
I have been looking for a wide-angle and Tokina seems the best fit. Any word about the prices here!
It should be same around sigma, and slightly cheaper than Nikon. Try your friendly neighborhood grey market dealer!
Old 16th April 2009, 10:34   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It should be same around sigma, and slightly cheaper than Nikon. Try your friendly neighborhood grey market dealer!
Jaikishan Brothers in Fort, Mumbai are now the official dealers for Tokina in India. I recently bought a fisheye from them. Surprisingly, tokina's prices in India with warranty are pretty close to the USD price.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:26   #795
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus_4uall View Post
Well, actually for not being among you guys, sharing your experiences and ideas!! As usual I am late, but I am finally here!
Welcome on board Gopi (virus_4uall). Guys, he is the friend I was talking about who helped me source D40x from US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks