Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 21:18   #2071
Team-BHP Support

Olympus has one ultra-wide lens that is simply superb. There professional Canon/Nikon users who buy an Olympus body just to use this lens.

Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 full review Cameralabs verdict
Old 13th November 2009, 04:44   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Olympus has one ultra-wide lens that is simply superb. There professional Canon/Nikon users who buy an Olympus body just to use this lens.

Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 full review Cameralabs verdict
I havn`t used it personally, but its the same range as Nikon 14-24mm and that is one hell of a lens too. Only issue, you need to use bluetack to mount filters and that too has to be 82mm+ lee/cokin filters.
Old 13th November 2009, 09:50   #2073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
With Canon/Nikon/Pentax crop factor is 1.5x so 18-55mm becomes 27-82.5mm

With Olympus/Panasonic crop factor is 2x, so 14-42 becomes 28-84mm
Canon technically is a 1.6 crop. just busting your chops! Sorry.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:07   #2074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I havn`t used it personally, but its the same range as Nikon 14-24mm and that is one hell of a lens too. Only issue, you need to use bluetack to mount filters and that too has to be 82mm+ lee/cokin filters.
The 7-14mm is considered to be without peers when comes to architecture photography. I was very tempted to buy it last year, but finally settled for 12-60mm which suited my purpose better.

Composing wide angle shots is quite an art, I didn't want to spend so much money on a lens that was too advanced for me.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:44   #2075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
didn't want to spend so much money on a lens that was too advanced for me.
Superb statement Samu. Most of fall prey to this. We buy equipment because we think we might need it when in reality what we have is often more than sufficient.

When I look to buy something I ask myself how did i manage before? So I still not got a Blackberry - although the pressure to get one (from my collegues) is building.

Remember the time when everyone had a Premier Padmini. We managed quite well then. Today the number of Mercs in my apartment building outnumber the Maruits and everyone only seems more stressed. What happened? Last night I saw three women sitting in the building compound each was on the cellphone. If the past they would have been chatting with each other.

Dont make/take calls if you are driving, if you are in an elevator, if you are playing with your child, etc. There is an old Billy Joel song on the 'Stranger' album called 'Vienna'. It gets more relavent every day.

Last edited by navin : 13th November 2009 at 10:51.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:23   #2076
BHPian

Hi guys, need some serisous info. I got few questions regarding Red Cameras.

How`s the position of RED ONE in india at the moment?
I mean in the terms of industry, is it being accepted or rejected?
Is there any demand for Red hardware?

I know the Australian market but i am completely cut off from indian film industry.

Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 15:44   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There is an old Billy Joel song on the 'Stranger' album called 'Vienna'. It gets more relavent every day.
Navin, thanks for provoking that reality check, some lovely lines for thought, in there.

Last edited by RufRoc : 13th November 2009 at 15:45.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:02   #2078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How`s the position of RED ONE in india at the moment?
I mean in the terms of industry, is it being accepted or rejected?
Is there any demand for Red hardware?
When RED first came out (a few years ago) everyone was talking about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Like everything else, the hype has died down and more real expectations are now the norm. I have not seen a RED in action in Mumbai (I am NOT associated with the film industry in any way) but I have heard that this director or that ad film guy is using it.

To be honest I still feel it is the monkey behind the lens who is still the limitation.

That said it is the ad-film guys who are more adventerous and will use this first. I have seen them more open to modern tools like FC Pro, Cinewave, Sorenson Squeeze, etc and get involved in open source like freeframe etc..

Good digital video real time post-processing got it's start in the late 80s with companies like Montage (based in NYC) and Sausolito based Equillibrim (thats what they are called today). These guys used to take broadcast video (like a baseball game) and edit it while it was being broadcast so that different regions could have different adverts or in the case of teh Johnny Carson show they would edit out the females in the audience for countries like Malaysia.

Last edited by navin : 13th November 2009 at 16:37.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:38   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
When RED first came out (a few years ago)....snip....
I do know what you meant by HYPE for Red, specifically RED ONE. Issue was Red offered cheapest alternative to Film industry and since they started from scratch, they were bound to make mistakes. Biggest mistake was RED ONE V1`s overheating sensor, all sorts of things start hitting the fan when sensor gets overheated. In this scenario it was not due to the sensor itself, they were quite few reasons of the sensor overheating and extra cooling did almost nothing. Let me put it this way, you are shooting a scene with 20 gasoline bombs going off in the background and you missed it all because sensor shut down half way.

But RED had came a long way since then and latest version simply blows everyone`s mind away. But those who had bad experience will refuse to even touch it. Otherwise RED`s modular system and possibilities gives Elmo/Arri/Bolex a run for money.

RED`s hype is still there, RED DSMC has huge potential. 5K at 100fps or 2K at 250fps. 5-axis adjustable sensor plate. Support for RED, Arri, Studio, Lite, Panavision and NATO accessories is something never heard of.

I am quite aware of Post processing. But I just want to know, what`s the preffered choice of film/advertising industry in india ?, specifically in digital.

Cheers
Old 13th November 2009, 22:03   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am quite aware of Post processing. But I just want to know, what`s the preffered choice of film/advertising industry in india ?, specifically in digital.

Cheers
Well IMHO Team-BHP may not be the best place to ask this we are not a community of cinematographers after-all.
Old 13th November 2009, 22:11   #2081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
dude I cant help you here but email Teesha or Shivendra Singh at Dungapur Films (give them my ref) and they will give you all the details
:UNGARPUR FILMS::
Old 15th November 2009, 20:49   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the Bangalore prices of Olympus E-620 with 14-42 kit lens?
Old 15th November 2009, 22:45   #2083
Senior - BHPian

In Camera AF-Motor Vs Lens with AF-Motor.

Which is better? Why do need the two different types?

Why are there camera without AF-Motor?

All this is regarding Nikon D5000, which does not comes with AF Motor, now other than little less choice of lenses, what are the other drawbacks?
Old 16th November 2009, 04:15   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
In Camera AF-Motor Vs Lens with AF-Motor.

Which is better? Why do need the two different types?

Why are there camera without AF-Motor?

All this is regarding Nikon D5000, which does not comes with AF Motor, now other than little less choice of lenses, what are the other drawbacks?
When AF was first released, camera manufacturers had 2 choices. Use inbody or inlens AF systems.

Using in-body AF meant adding a coupling adapter to newe lenses and a motor to the camera body. This meant lenses will be cheap since AF motor will only need to be purchased once. Almost everyone choose to go this pathway. But nikon also released some lenses which had in-lens AF. Reason being these were all primeslike 400mm/300mm and in-body motor didn`t had the power to handle AF quickly. One benefit was, no new lens mount changes, just addition of few more contacts, so backward compatibility was there.

Using in-lens AF meant, expensive lenses and no backward compatibility. This is where Canon released newer EOS mount. No more mechanical components between lens/body, just electronic. This made lenses expensive and bodies cheaper. Different sizes of motors could be used depending upon the size/weight of lens elements.

To be honest, both have benefits and drawbacks but it depends upon each lenses which system works better.

There is a huge reason why there are dslr bodies without in-body AF. For example i am jumping into photography and buying my first DSLR. Since i don`t have experience and will be using happy mode(Auto) in start. I will choose a cheaper model, meant for me. Since i need to buy lenses, why buy older in-body AF lenses when i can buy cheaper in-lens AF lenses.

If you already have a bag full of older lenses then you need in-body AF motor.

Remember if you are just buying new then in-lens AF is fine since almost all new lenses are based on in-lens AF. Reason being USM/SWM/HSM motors are easier and cheaper to manufacture than 1980`s.

Cheers
Old 16th November 2009, 10:51   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Thanks it_inspector,

That is the perfect detail I was looking for.

So that means for newbie like me, I really need not to worry about In-Body or In-Lens AF Motor.

Also I just did a search on the lenses, there are alot of lenses from Nikon, Sigma and Tamron with in-Lens AF Motor, and they are not really any costlier than the normal one.

Now please suggest about this deal:

Nikon D5000 with 18-55mm VR, new, for 33K, grey

I have confirmed that there set are not from the recall series, still I will check the series when I see the body.

And How about adding a Sigma 77-300 lense? Should I just play with kit now and add later?

What should be the best lense for Landscape and Portrait/kids/daily photography?

Also how do confirm that the body and lense which I am getting is genuinely new and not a refurbished one?

Quote:
When AF was first released, camera manufacturers had 2 choices. Use inbody or inlens AF systems.

Using in-body AF meant adding a coupling adapter to newe lenses and a motor to the camera body. This meant lenses will be cheap since AF motor will only need to be purchased once. Almost everyone choose to go this pathway. But nikon also released some lenses which had in-lens AF. Reason being these were all primeslike 400mm/300mm and in-body motor didn`t had the power to handle AF quickly. One benefit was, no new lens mount changes, just addition of few more contacts, so backward compatibility was there.

Using in-lens AF meant, expensive lenses and no backward compatibility. This is where Canon released newer EOS mount. No more mechanical components between lens/body, just electronic. This made lenses expensive and bodies cheaper. Different sizes of motors could be used depending upon the size/weight of lens elements.

To be honest, both have benefits and drawbacks but it depends upon each lenses which system works better.

There is a huge reason why there are dslr bodies without in-body AF. For example i am jumping into photography and buying my first DSLR. Since i don`t have experience and will be using happy mode(Auto) in start. I will choose a cheaper model, meant for me. Since i need to buy lenses, why buy older in-body AF lenses when i can buy cheaper in-lens AF lenses.

If you already have a bag full of older lenses then you need in-body AF motor.

Remember if you are just buying new then in-lens AF is fine since almost all new lenses are based on in-lens AF. Reason being USM/SWM/HSM motors are easier and cheaper to manufacture than 1980`s.

Cheers

Last edited by rkbharat : 16th November 2009 at 10:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks