Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 14:16   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
D90 has a vital feature missing from all other Nikon DSLR`s under it, that is in body focusing. In order to use AF this is needed for pretty much all the older lenses and specially for Nikon 50mm f1.8
You got it wrong! D90 has in-body AF!

While D5000 and entry models don't have it.

Last edited by finneyp : 11th November 2009 at 14:25.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:21   #2042
Senior - BHPian

He he that "..snip.." sounds so funny.
About the TC with ext. Tube that's just a workaround and yes not a good combination(although it won't affect the image quality much from only TC and lens as ext. tube doesn't have any glass element)

Well Sparkled, I'm doomed for sure. But before that I actually would get a walkaround lens as that's what I need very urgently now.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:31   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Agreed. But using TC+Extention tube is a dangerous combination.
Agreed.
Just wondering why is it dangerous? I am not sure if there was pun involved and I did not get it

@kaushik_s: OH OH!! I know that feeling. But whats your existing kit and what are you looking for to spend?
Old 11th November 2009, 14:42   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
You got it wrong! D90 has in-body AF!

While D5000 and entry models don't have it.
Let me re-word it for you.

[i]D90 has a vital feature,
missing from all other Nikon DSLR`s under it,
that is in body focusing.

In order to use AF this is needed for pretty much all the older lenses and specially for Nikon 50mm f1.8[i]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just wondering why is it dangerous? I am not sure if there was pun involved and I did not get it
Extension tubes are more like an aftermarket solution and were developed to use prime lenses as macro lenses.

Since these tubes are just that (empty tubes) with mounts on the corners, these can be used for many different thing, increasing space between lens and sensor if required or to mount a big zoom and convert it into a macro lens or simply added space for reverse mounts.

I honestly like to stay away from them. Did try making an adjustable extension tube and was fun but pretty much it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th November 2009 at 15:04. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old 11th November 2009, 14:54   #2045
BHPian

Tc

hmm.. im Still not clear if I should go for TC or not. some more feed required. How bad it can be when you say the image will be bad.
Secondly it costs 15K in BLR, is it worth the money (cannot buy 1 more lens as i have already bought sigma 70-300 5 months back and saving money for a 4X4 too).

Any one in Bangalore knows where to hunt for used lenses or TC ?

Or any one who has a TC can take a picture with and without TC of an object so that everyone can judge the sharpness or clairity. I know im asking too many favour, but ..
Old 11th November 2009, 15:05   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
hmm.. im Still not clear if I should go for TC or not. some more feed required. How bad it can be when you say the image will be bad.
Secondly it costs 15K in BLR, is it worth the money (cannot buy 1 more lens as i have already bought sigma 70-300 5 months back and saving money for a 4X4 too).

Or any one who has a TC can take a picture with and without TC of an object so that everyone can judge the sharpness or clairity. I know im asking too many favour, but ..
Do not go for a 2X TC for a slow zoom like Sigma 70-300 that you have. It will be almost unusable. If I could get a good 600mm by just plonking a 2X TC in front of my 70-300 lens, Nikon/Canon would have never made a 600mm prime costing an arm and a leg. Like I said before a 2X is usable with some high quality lenses but your Sigma 70-300 is no where near a high quality lens to take a 2X TC well. Hope this clears your doubt.

Last edited by SPARKled : 11th November 2009 at 15:07.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:24   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
hmm.. im Still not clear if I should go for TC or not...snip....
Let me google that for you
Old 11th November 2009, 15:40   #2048
Senior - BHPian

@livyodream, I know what you are feeling right now. In these initial learning days, finding something like 2x TC which can theoretically increase the range by two folds is very very tempting. But that's just the outer shell of the matter. There is much more deeper meaning or fine prints that you need to understand before making the plunge.
1. TC's degrade the image quality, a lot. Specially with not so good zooms.
2. Your camera can AF only till f5.6 or f8, nothing beyond that. So having a TC infront is like making your largest aperature increased by two stops. i.e for that Siggy 70-300mm it'll be f11 and so NO AF.
3. You won't be able to mount your lens on that 2x TC. That's what I've trying to shout at your ears for a long time. But this is how canon TC's are built. Check for Sigma TC specs. I fear that it won't be much different.
4. Bottom line is DON"T go for the 2x TC for your 70-300mm. May be if later point of time you shift to a better lens then you can go for a TC. But I would say that even with a pro lens I'm not so happy with TC results.(and I'm not even a pixel peeper)
See, we've saved your 15k, now let's go for a party ;-)

@SPARKled, sending you a PM.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:45   #2049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One Team-BHP member in Bangalore has a Canon EF 800mm f/5.6 L IS USM. Take a peek in that and then think of using 2x TC.
Old 11th November 2009, 16:14   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Guys where did you buy your exotic prime say a 300/400 F2.8, 500/600 F4 in case you have these in your collection. All my lenses have been purchased from USA and the most expensive one I have is the 300 F4 AFS whch is not huge and so was easy to get out of the Mumbai airport without too much expense. Have any one of you got your exotic prime through without too much hassle or have you procured it locally.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:56   #2051
BHPian

Quote:

Buy an Olympus Pen e-p1 (prices are crashing with e-p2 launch) and get

1. inbody IS and 2x crop factor (300 becomes 600! That's serious stalking power!) with all those cheap non-digital era primes and zooms going for a song on e-bay
2. inbody IS and autofocus with non IS Zuiko AF lenses
3. a second body with full pocketable PandS functionality (auto mode) AND full manual controls.

2 good sources in Bangy for second hand lenses:

Vinod of Burma Bazar
Jayant Mehta of Avenue Road
Old 11th November 2009, 19:37   #2052
Senior - BHPian

I have 2 quick questions

1. What is general opinion on Olympus PEN ?
Is it in same league as entry level Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000 or a step through between Digi cam and DSLR ?
What is the price in India with some sort of kit lens ?

2. Is the below deal any better then Grey market price in India?
I have a gut feeling that buying in India is any day cheaper.
HK airport prices are also similar ( a little higher in fact)

I am in Korea and getting Canon 500D for 1040 US $ with
1. 15- 55 IS kit lens
2. Extra battery
3. Camera Bag
4 4 GB card
5. 1 year Canon Korea warranty this is not an issue as I can arrange to send it over in case of any problems so may be slightly better then dealer warranty.

1000D is 624 US$.

I can get still cheaper by 100$ but that is with out bag / card / extra battery and from little unknown source.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:39   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Buy an Olympus Pen e-p1 (prices are crashing with e-p2 launch) and get
There are many disadvantages of buying Olympus if you are living in India.

1) Almost impossible to resell, so upgrading doesn't necessary mean selling the old body.
2) The price of the body crashes everytime a newer body is released. When they released E-30, the E3 price crashed below that of E-30, which is ridiculous.
3) No retailer is interested in your business if you want Olympus. Can't get them to call you back with the price.
4) You can't discuss your equipment with anybody, nobody has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
1. What is general opinion on Olympus PEN ?
Is it in same league as entry level Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000 or a step through between Digi cam and DSLR ?
Nope, E-P1 is a proper SLR where you interchange lenses like any SLR. It has in-body IS unlike Canon or Nikon offerings.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th November 2009 at 19:43.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:01   #2054
Senior - BHPian

I thought the Canon TC work only with 'L' series primes

Met a guy in Thailand who told me he prefers a Canon 300mm L with a TC rather than the 400mm he had before! Or 100-400 something to that effect.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:17   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Do not go for a 2X TC for a slow zoom like Sigma 70-300 that you have. It will be almost unusable. Like I said before a 2X is usable with some high quality lenses but your Sigma 70-300 is no where near a high quality lens to take a 2X TC well. Hope this clears your doubt.

Now i get it. You know when i had Noika 6600 (Which has VGA cam) (in 2004) i used to think i have the bestest camera on earth till i bought nokia 7610 and got the same feeling . This feeling continued whenever i changed the phone (just for the sake of camera). The last one i bought was Nokia N82 which has 5MP. Got the same feeling again till I bought an DSLR.

Im very happy with the performance of siggy lens. May be for the fact that I have never used/tried a "Costly" or "high quality" lens.

All the queries were put up as a "newbie" in camera world (just 5 months old in this world)

This was the reason for the the question in my previous post : "How bad it can be when you say the image will be bad. " cos for a newbie most of the pictures looks fine but an experienced/pro guy can highlight 100 mistakes in it. Its just a matter of experience.

The moral of the story is .. err hmmm who knows?

But i deeply appreciate all the feebacks given for the TC and yes it saved me 15K which will go in for my ultimate dream.

@kaushik_s : party! no problem if and only if im taken to OTR in BLR (never been to any)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Samuria Sir, the picture of baleno taken at Manipal End point is mind blowing (2971-1447.jpg).

Let me also try with my car and camra when i go to manipal

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th November 2009 at 09:57. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks