Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 19:43   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Won't make muc comment to the discussion but just a few points that are hanging in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The only real advantage of the F4 lenses is that they are relatively cheaper and maybe slightly smaller than 2.8 lenses.... So I am not sure what all the rant of Nikon not having constant F4 lenses is all about.
Thing is that they are quite cheap compared to their 2.8 brethren and it's quite useful for guys who can't spend the ransom for that f2.8. If you see the price difference between 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS it's almost double. So "affordable" is the keyword here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
F4 constant lenses by Canon are over rated IMHO. But Canon has sold millions of them, so excellent going Canon Marketing.
Won't agree that they are over-rated, infact they are some of the best lenses to have and this line up contains some legendary lenses like 70-200mm f4 IS, 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS etc. which IMHO are probably the best you can go for without breaking your bank. Over-rated? No way. Affordable? Oh yeah.
Regards,
Old 9th November 2009, 22:40   #1997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
LX3 for you! I believe that you're getting it from malaysia.
2.9K in Msia. Check out shashinki & Yamiya..
you must have read this.
PANASONIC LUMIX LX3 BLOG: LX4 - WHAT IF?
Leica D-Lux 5 in Photokina 2010? | Leica Rumors

I tried the LX3 and liked it but found the LX3 a bit big. the S90 was not out when I was there but now it is. I want something I can carry on my hip and not look like a geek (I already carry 2 mobiles so a 3rd device is going to make me look really funny).

Really wish the LX3 replacement will continue in the same vein but drop in size. 24-60 or 28-100 (f2.0-2.8) is more than enough for me. Under 200gms, under 100x50x25mm. The S90 satisfies 3 out of 4 of these dimensional parameters.

What about the Canon 980 or Panny FX65?

BTW I get my stuff from YL (Pudu) since they know me and I can even return stuff if it is in pristine condition and dont sit on it too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
I am looking for a DECENT WIDE ZOOM + POCKETABLE camera only, let me know when you find it.

DOf adpater is used to get similar DOF like you see on professional productions, like movies in cinemas. Idea is you mount a 35mm lens on a tube and project the image on a focusing screen.

Have you tried Vegas yet?
I thought the S90 might be the camera I was looking for.

Ok now i get what you guys were doing with this tube like thing.

Vegas is terribly slow. Pinnacle is faster but way more expensive. Ulead was a lot more affordable but I had to download some patches from their website to make 1080 video.

BTW the HF10 shoots 17p not 24p. For 24p I'd have to get the HF11.

Last edited by navin : 9th November 2009 at 22:59.
Old 10th November 2009, 02:09   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Vegas is terribly slow. Pinnacle is faster but way more expensive. Ulead was a lot more affordable but I had to download some patches from their website to make 1080 video.

BTW the HF10 shoots 17p not 24p. For 24p I'd have to get the HF11.
AFAIK most of the canon`s did 24p or 25p. You might want to double check.

Yep vegas does require crap load of ram and processing power. But it also does the best rendering.

Quote:
Back to 3 camera comparison. If someone showed me that clip and said, this is a comparison between 3 cameras that cost x, 2x, and 20X, I'd say no way.

GH1 vs Red One vs Canon 5D Mk II footage comparison shoot out! - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Problem is not the comparison but the person doing it.
Damm it!

I hate to quote my post but i didn`t finished the post.

Problem is not the comparison but the person doing it and its good that someone took initiative to do it. But again its not the best comparison. It would be better if they just glued a doll with different contrasty clothes on a rotating table and positioned each cam to film it with similar lens. It makes a whole lotta difference to watch it and it shows clear cut the difference each make.

But still not convincing for me to shoot video on a DSLR. Biggest issue being jelly effect and rolling shutters. When these are sorted out, i might think about throwing my videocam away.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2009, 02:36   #1999
BHPian

Need advise on buying first DSLR

I am a newbie to this thread. Please move to appropriate thread if this is not the correct place to ask the question.

Background: I have been dabbling in photography on and off (more off than on) for the past year with a Panasonic TZ1 (2006 model) (10x optical zoom). While it's good, the quality is nowhere near the pics I see you guys come up with.

So have finally decided to take the plunge a buy a DSLR. Budget $750 max. I am told I'll get a decent beginners camera with a twin lens package. Can Gurus here please suggest some models?

My preliminary research on BestBuy has yielded
1. Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with Extra Zoom Lens ($650 ish)
2. Canon Digital Rebel XS Black 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with Extra Lens ($650 ish)
3. Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera with Extra Lens ($800 - a bit over budget)
Old 10th November 2009, 07:18   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I am a newbie to this thread....snip....
I will be honest. Since you are new in the photography section. Are you 100% sure you will stay with it. If yes then there is a good point in buying brand new otherwise buy a second hand DSLR body and a prime lens and learn all the basics. Then sell the body for minimal loss and get a better one.

Also your profile says your location is in london. While pentax being a big consideration there, you havn`t even considered it.

For a starter, Pentax is a god sent, just for the fact that you can buy cheap 30yr old lenses and still use them. And the fact is, there is truck loads of Pentax second hand lenses.

Try something like a K10D. Its very good DSLR body for a beginner.

And remember when it comes to photography, no one is a guru, its just experience in different sections
Old 10th November 2009, 12:02   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is that they are quite cheap compared to their 2.8 brethren and it's quite useful for guys who can't spend the ransom for that f2.8. If you see the price difference between 70-200 f4 IS and f2.8 IS it's almost double. So "affordable" is the keyword here.

Won't agree that they are over-rated, infact they are some of the best lenses to have and this line up contains some legendary lenses like 70-200mm f4 IS, 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS etc. which IMHO are probably the best you can go for without breaking your bank. Over-rated? No way. Affordable? Oh yeah.
Regards,
The reason I say they F4 lenses especially the 70-200 F4 is over rated are
1) Its not half of what the 2.8 goes for. its 1250 vs 1800 USDs and the non IS 2.8 goes for even lesser.
2) If you are really stopping down your lens the even the 55-250 is pretty good.
3) There are better ways to cover this focal length, my choice would be 200 2.8 and the 85 1.8. Infact thats the path I took with my Nikon 180 2.8 and the 85 1.8. At 2.8 both of them are sharper than the 70-200 Vr lens and by F4 they are their very best.
4) For wide angle, F4 seems ok but then why not the Tokina 12-24 and if you are shooting Canon, the wide angle USM primes. The 24-105 is almost 1150 USDs. Surely there are better ways to cover this focal length.

Last edited by SPARKled : 10th November 2009 at 12:05.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:17   #2002
BHPian

@IT inspector
Haha, I think I know to google . Well I was asking about a comparison between Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and the canon 70-200 f4, which I still cannot find online.
Regards,
TG.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:25   #2003
BHPian

I have a Canon 100d with kit lens. I plan to get myself a "cheap" telephoto.

Is Canon 55-250 the best bang for the buck telephoto for my 1000d? Any alternatives?

I dont want to have a telephoto for which a tripod is a must, I need to be able to use it hand held. Advice greatly appreciated.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:57   #2004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AFAIK most of the canon`s did 24p or 25p.
Whereas the HF10 has a maximum bitrate of 17Mbps, the HF11 compresses data at an impressive 24Mbps
source - Canon Vixia HF10 or HF11? Which Should You Buy? - Unbiased camcorder reviews, prices, and advice

for more info
Digital Camcorders comparison chart of the Canon Vixia HF11 and Canon Vixia HF20 - CNET Reviews

Canon Vixia HF20 or HF11? - CNET Camcorders Forums

Canon HF11 vs Canon HF20 - Direct comparison Videos Now available!!! - AVS Forum
Old 10th November 2009, 14:36   #2005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I have a Canon 100d with kit lens. I plan to get myself a "cheap" telephoto.

Is Canon 55-250 the best bang for the buck telephoto for my 1000d? Any alternatives?

I dont want to have a telephoto for which a tripod is a must, I need to be able to use it hand held. Advice greatly appreciated.
I have this one, which is pretty decent. Its not top pro stuff or anything but does its job well. Mag recently picked up a sigma 70-300 IIRC, he is also quite thrilled about it.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:11   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mag recently picked up a sigma 70-300 IIRC, he is also quite thrilled about it.

Ive been using Sigma 70-300 , and im atisfied with the Performance and its VFM.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:47   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have this one, which is pretty decent. Its not top pro stuff or anything but does its job well. Mag recently picked up a sigma 70-300 IIRC, he is also quite thrilled about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Ive been using Sigma 70-300 , and im atisfied with the Performance and its VFM.
300 is certainly better than 250 and the Sigma is cheaper than the Canon as well. But does the lack of IS in the Sigma necessitate a tripod or does hand-holding work just as well?

I have heard that the IS in Canon works very well.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:51   #2008
Senior - BHPian

the 55-250 is a bokeh machine. I LOVE it! But of course, your definition of VFM may vary!
Old 10th November 2009, 16:58   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
300 is certainly better than 250 and the Sigma is cheaper than the Canon as well. But does the lack of IS in the Sigma necessitate a tripod or does hand-holding work just as well?

I have heard that the IS in Canon works very well.

SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS comes with IS thought the naming term is different from brand to brand as IS for canon, VR for Nikon (i guess). I had no problem with vibration nor i use a tripod.

Can anyone shed some light for the IS in Sigma ???
Old 10th November 2009, 17:02   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS comes with IS thought the naming term is different from brand to brand as IS for canon, VR for Nikon (i guess). I had no problem with vibration nor i use a tripod.

Can anyone shed some light for the IS in Sigma ???
The equivalent Sigma image stabilization is OS. Does Canon not have a 70-300 IS USM? I thought it was a pretty good lens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks