Old 6th November 2009, 13:27   #1951
Senior - BHPian

5500-5700 is what delhiwalas pay with bill
Old 6th November 2009, 13:36   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
5500-5700 is what delhiwalas pay with bill
Any idea where I can get it for that price in Chennai? The least got was 6.2k.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:33   #1953
BHPian

I have used the canon 7D a few times, mainly for its excellent HD Video capabilities. Outstanding camera for the price. What I noticed first up is its speed, then i was really impressed with the auto focus mechanism and the 3D tracking...in fact i was really impressed with the new autofocus system with 19 cross type sensors.
Check this out:

Excellent for anyone looking for high fps at a good price point with top notch images and wonderful HD video that is 1080P at 24fps. The body doesn't have the typical plasticy feel most canon bodies have,thanks to the magnesium alloy body..I have a feeling this camera is much better weather sealed unlike the 5D mark3 which isn't exactly an outdoor camera in my opinion.Well in size, it is pretty much the same size as the 5D mark 2 and feels good in the hand.But the high noise performance is not close to the 5D Mark 2, but then the Mark 2 is a full frame and also costs more. I would defenitely recommend this camera to anyone who is interested in getting an awesome APS-C sized sensor and some quality HD video capabilities.

Regards,
TG.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:54   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
I have used the canon 7D a few times, mainly for its excellent HD Video capabilities. Outstanding camera for the price. What I noticed first up is its speed, then i was really impressed with the auto focus mechanism and the 3D tracking...in fact i was really impressed with the new autofocus system with 19 cross type sensors.
Check this out:
YouTube - Canon EOS 7D - Versatile Auto Focus 1/8

Excellent for anyone looking for high fps at a good price point with top notch images and wonderful HD video that is 1080P at 24fps. The body doesn't have the typical plasticy feel most canon bodies have,thanks to the magnesium alloy body..I have a feeling this camera is much better weather sealed unlike the 5D mark3 which isn't exactly an outdoor camera in my opinion.Well in size, it is pretty much the same size as the 5D mark 2 and feels good in the hand.But the high noise performance is not close to the 5D Mark 2, but then the Mark 2 is a full frame and also costs more. I would defenitely recommend this camera to anyone who is interested in getting an awesome APS-C sized sensor and some quality HD video capabilities.

Regards,
TG.
Lots of AF issues are being reported with the 7D. Canon has already accepted the ghosting issue where the previous image can be still seen on the next image as the buffer was not clearing up fast enough at high FPS. I Did not buy the D300 and was seriously looking at this particular model to shift to Canon from Nikon for dedicated birding but seems like I will have to wait.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:16   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
...snip....I have a feeling this camera is much better weather sealed unlike the 5D mark3 which isn't exactly an outdoor camera in my opinion....snip...
Surely you mean Mk2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Lots of AF issues are being reported with the 7D. Canon has already accepted the ghosting issue where the previous image can be still seen on the next image as the buffer was not clearing up fast enough at high FPS. I Did not buy the D300 and was seriously looking at this particular model to shift to Canon from Nikon for dedicated birding but seems like I will have to wait.
I havn`t had the chance to handle 7d much. Just took few happy snaps but nothing more.

I don`t think its fair to compare D300/D300s to 7D since we are comparing DSLR`s released at different times. D300 was released in 2007 which 7D in 2009. Surely D300s is new but its based on D300 and cannot be considered a new platform, its merely an upgrade for those who were going to jump ships to 5D, mk2 because of high price and video capability of d700.

But to be honest none of the pros i have seen use video, pretty much all consider it as an add on feature that is there for maybe future use.

Also, remember Canon and Nikon never playes fair, none released a single DSLR body to counter other unless now which can be just a co-incidence

Cheers
Old 6th November 2009, 16:31   #1956
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
I got a studio shoot 3 weeks away. Studio has a Canon 7D in stock. Will check it out. Lemme know what questions you have specifically.

Cheers
In 3 weeks time I will be in Melbourne.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:35   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don`t think its fair to compare D300/D300s to 7D since we are comparing DSLR`s released at different times. D300 was released in 2007 which 7D in 2009. Surely D300s is new but its based on D300 and cannot be considered a new platform, its merely an upgrade for those who were going to jump ships to 5D, mk2 because of high price and video capability of d700.

Cheers
The 7D is Canon's answer to the D300 series. They had no camera to counter it all these years. Surely you mean 7D and not 5Dmk2. The D300 and the 5D cannot be compared at all. The D700 is more of a 5D competitor and not the D300.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:38   #1958
BHPian

@ITinspector.
I surely mean mk2.

@sparkled
You may be right, I just wrote what i felt when I used it for a few days. I shot some action stuff and it worked flawlessly.

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 6th November 2009 at 16:42.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:40   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
The 7D is Canon's answer to the D300 series. They had no camera to counter it all these years. Surely you mean 7D and not 5Dmk2. The D300 and the 5D cannot be compared at all. The D700 is more of a 5D competitor and not the D300.
Yes i meant 5D mk2. For the users who were using D300 and wanted to go FF.

Sorry about the earlier post, what i meant was Users jumping to 5D mk2 instead of D700 since D700 has no video and high price. Ask me personally, D700 is worth every penny and then some.

Also 5D cannot be compared to D700, since 5D is an all rounder with video while D700 is solely for Landscape Photographers. I am not saying D700 sucks at other stuff, whay i am saying is D700`s best for Landscape photographers.

Its just an irony that Canon/Nikon never play fair as in never follow market cues and fight directly. If you look at last 50yrs of SLR market its been the same.

Nikon - Expensive, but more focussed on professionals with less prosumer features. NPS still requires at a minimum of 3 pro bodies and plethora of lenses.
Canon - Less expensive but more focussed on prosumer features but still enough for professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
In 3 weeks time I will be in Melbourne.
Then why not buy here in Melbourne. I can let you know where and whom to buy it from. Since its nearly christmas time, prices have started to go down a bit but it makes haggling a bit harder.

Quote:
@ITinspector.
I surely mean mk2.
Just joking mate, i understood what you meant

Cheers

Last edited by it_inspector : 6th November 2009 at 16:50.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:45   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ITinspector.

@sparkled
You may be right, I just wrote what i felt when I used it for a few days.
Actually I completely agree with your observations and it has the specs to really become a leader in its segment. Now if only Canon could get over these AF issues I am sure They will sell a lot more than they are selling now.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:51   #1961
BHPian

@ITinspector
Haha, thats cool..I guessed that you were joking!

A lot of professionals I know, especially documentary photographers/photojournalists now consider using DSLR video clippings. I recently attended a seminar at my university conducted by the Bay Area Documentary Association, and the prime hot topic was effective use of video in photography and how much itis getting popular. Video can be woven strikingly into photography to provide powerful montages which strike a chord in the minds of the viewer. In this era of Newspapers going online rather than on paper, the addition of quality video in DSLR blurs the line between still and moving image capture.

D700 is the best for anyone who shoots action, lowlight and landscapes! I can swear by that. I feel 5D is more for the landscape photographer and especially the studio photographer, who doesnt deal with shooting action and can afford to lose the moment because he can set it up again. But i love how dof works when you take a video on a mk2!
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 6th November 2009 at 17:01.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:55   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i meant 5D mk2. For the users who were using D300 and wanted to go FF.

Sorry about the earlier post, what i meant was Users jumping to 5D mk2 instead of D700 since D700 has no video and high price. Ask me personally, D700 is worth every penny and then some.

Also 5D cannot be compared to D700, since 5D is an all rounder with video while D700 is solely for Landscape Photographers. I am not saying D700 sucks at other stuff, whay i am saying is D700`s best for Landscape photographers.

Cheers
I guess a guy who would want to upgrade to a FF from a D300 would logically upgrade to a D700 and not a 5D simply as I assume that he will have a fair bit of money parked in lenses and accessories. The 5D was again put in the market not to attract the D300 crowd but more of the D700 crowd who with its brilliant sensor had upped the high ISO game and rendered the original 5D obsolete. I really doubt a D700 user would jump to a 5D just for added mps and video capability. I wonder why you are saying that the D700 is solely landscape camera. To me with the superb high ISO capability its a photo journalist, sports journalist (limited to the FPS its capable of compared to the D3) or a wedding shooters delight and not really a landscape shooters dream.

Last edited by SPARKled : 6th November 2009 at 16:58.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:59   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
I guess a guy who would want to upgrade to a FF from a D300 would logically upgrade to a D700 and not a 5D simply as I assume that he will have a fair bit of money parked in lenses and accessories. The 5D was again put in the market not to attract the D300 crowd but more of the D700 crowd who with its brilliant sensor had upped the high ISO game and rendered the original 5D obsolete. I really doubt a D700 user would jump to a 5D just for added mps and video capability. I wonder why you are saying that the D700 is solely landscape camera. To me with the superb high ISO capability its a photo journalist, sports journalist (limited to the FPS its capable of compared to the D3) or a wedding shooters delight and not really a landscape shooters dream.
Haha you said exactly what i was typing! Just that it was a second apart!
Old 6th November 2009, 17:02   #1964
Sha
BHPian

A new thread need to be started I guess
CANON vs NIKON .
Old 6th November 2009, 17:06   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
A new thread need to be started I guess
CANON vs NIKON .
No No we will not do that. This topic has been discussed and to death all over the www with no clear concensus

Last edited by SPARKled : 6th November 2009 at 17:11.

Most Viewed