Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:52   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Buying at the store and ordering online is akin to shopping for vegetables at the market by yourself or through maid/servant...

In online orders the stuff they ship out comes to you mostly like in As is where is basis and the hassles of sending it back if not satisfactory is generally a pain.

For $40 more you shall have peace of mind and can select the glass of your choice and liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Mostly decided on Sigma 10-20 NEW.
I find it risky to buy a lens from someone on forum that too for $600. Its a big amount to risk.
Mostly will go to B&H to check out the piece. If I buy in store I need to pay $40 odd tax, which I will save if I order online. But not sure, as forSigma, I need to see sample to sample variation :(
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:55   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Would 100% agree with gd about the online buying. For lenses and stuff it's better you check the lens and then buy it instead buying it and then repent after checking it. BTW, as you are in US you'll have lot more chance to find a store who have good used lenses. Why don't you try for that? Or is that nowadays everything become online?
BTW, I've myself bought quite a few items from online forum members (in India though) and most of the time it was a nice experience. I see two benefits, one, you get a good item for a great price and second you find a new friend who also shares the same passion. I dunno how is the situation in US though.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:00   #1818
Senior - BHPian

If buying used in the USA better to stick to known places like FredMiranda etc.

The prices might be a little steep for used but they come from verified sellers who have done numerous trades there.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:18   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Just buy it online from B&H or any store with a good return policy. Buy 2 if not sure and return the one that is sub optimal. Test them against a brick wall on tripod and different apertures. If buying used or even new, KEH is fantastic and I speak from personal experience. I returned a new Tamron 17-35 which had a problematic RHS and bought my 85 1.8 and 180 2.8 from them. The entire return and credit procedure was very smooth and hassle free.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:38   #1820
BHPian

Camera Repair in Bangalore?

My D40 went kaput. It seems like problem is in the shutter module. Is there good places to repair the camera other than the nikon-care ?.

The reason why I am not very thrilled about Nikon-Care is the rates they quoted for repair ( 5K which includes 2.2K handling charges ).

-Thanks
Santhosh
Old 24th October 2009, 11:44   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Unless you are particularly fond of your D40 or sentimentally attached, dispose the body and go for an upgrade..

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
My D40 went kaput. It seems like problem is in the shutter module. Is there good places to repair the camera other than the nikon-care ?.

The reason why I am not very thrilled about Nikon-Care is the rates they quoted for repair ( 5K which includes 2.2K handling charges ).

-Thanks
Santhosh
Old 24th October 2009, 14:45   #1822
BHPian

Hi All;

I need to know the basic difference between a DSLR camera and a normal Digital camera.I fail to understand the huge difference in cost of the same. I am sorry if I have repeated post.

Also can you please suggest me a good DSLR camera for a novice like me in budget range of less than 50K

Thanks
Old 24th October 2009, 15:00   #1823
Senior - BHPian

I think its better to search in the net and read for yourself, about the differences.... Searching with DSLR Vs P&S will give you some informative links.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:27   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi All;

I need to know the basic difference between a DSLR camera and a normal Digital camera.I fail to understand the huge difference in cost of the same. I am sorry if I have repeated post.

Also can you please suggest me a good DSLR camera for a novice like me in budget range of less than 50K

Thanks
Simply put for a novice like you & me, a DSLR offers the possiblility of taking better pics and enjoying photography at a more deeper level. It also allows you to do so while retaining the same camera and just buying additional lenses to suit your evolving needs. This is something you cannot do with a P&S(normal point & shoot digital camera). As you move from shooting pics for an occassion to becoming more experimental, and as the desire to click develops into a hobby, a DSLR bridges that equipment gap by just adding lenses. DSLR's also have better resale than P&S.

The latest dlsr from Canon, the EOS 500D, offers exceptional value for money, with some very good features and kit and can be had for approx 45k with a 2 yr warranty. I guess someone here has got it even cheaper.

This is my personal perspective, hope it helps.
Old 24th October 2009, 17:57   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi All;

Thanks
Make sure you go through all these carefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Answer the following:

1. what are you going to do with the photos?
a) send to friends via email - think small 4-6MP P&S 1/2.5"
b) Print to 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10? - think 7-8MP sensor of 1/2" or larger like 2/3" (Fuji S100, Sony R100 etc..)
c) display on large TV think 10MP+ APS-C or larger

2. What do you want the camera for"
a. family occasions with 75% indoor and 25% outdoor (birhtdays, etc..)
b. travel and family (as above)
c. special functions like school sports and plays + travel & family (as above)
as in the previous question the more demanding the situation the more useful is a better camera

3. How serious are you about photography
a. not serious just want good fun snaps
b. somewhat serious what to learn about f stop, shutter speed etc while taking family and travel photos
c. deadly serious. want to preserve photos for longevity and develop into a good photographer.
you know the drill... :-)

You will find you will find the answer to your questions yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Until you learn photography, you should stick with P&S. If not you won't produce better photographs with dSLR. These days you can get great results with P&S too.

Recently I switched to a professional dSLR. However, unless I really raise my level, I won't be able to produce any better shots than I did with my older dSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Photographers take photographs, not cameras.

First thing to decide, what do you expect from the camera. You just want better tourist photos or do you plan to learn photography. Either requirement may lead to a same camera, but you gotta make sure your needs are addressed.

If you just want better tourist shots, look for zoom factor (5x, 10x ,etc), good wide angle (28mm, 35mm), various shooting modes like sports, macro, landscape, etc that takes the guess work out of you, big & clear LCD preview, compactness, etc.

If you are planning to learn photography, then look for full manual control of aperture/speed/ISO over a long range, various TTL metering modes, a crystal clear LCD view finder, a large aperture lens, etc.

You have enough choices within your budget for both the above cases. Steer clear off dSLRs for now, you are not ready for them.
Old 24th October 2009, 18:29   #1826
BHPian

jk bhai, Nikon D40x is no longer available. D40 is available online, new for rs19k, i think on ebay.
D60 with kit lens, in grey would cost 27-29k.
I guess the D3000 has started coming in and would soon replace the d60.
Try to get a D80 body, in grey, you may get for 30k. Its worth it.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:37   #1827
BANNED

Friends
Tried to read all ( ok. most of them ) the 122 pages. but still could not make up much. i have 2 options
1. buy a 10 + mega pixs Digicam
2. buy a entry level easy to use DSLR with good zoom lens

budget = 20 K . I m going to Dubai ( transit ) next week

kindly suggest
Old 25th October 2009, 12:05   #1828
Senior - BHPian

What is the acceptable depreciation for a lens that comes with a warranty of 8 months remaining?

Oh yeah its a 50 1.4 prime!
Old 27th October 2009, 16:21   #1829
BHPian

@siddutta
0. Do you have knowledge about basic photography terms and how some parameters affect final image quality? - Like whats an aperture, whats a shutter, whats a sensor, whats white balance and ISO? When someone says, that lens is 18-55mm IS f3.5-4.6, you should be able to understand the meaning of those numbers and terms like IS.
1. Is this going to be your first camera? - if yes, go for a P&S. Without some basic insights of photography like composition and lighting, any photo with any gear will look rubbish.
2. How keen are you on photography? - if you are keen on learning, and this is going to be your first camera, go for a P&S with manual controls option.
3. DSLR with 1 big zoom lens (18-200 etc) defeats the purpose, and can be very well compared with a good P&S like SX1IS from Canon
4. How much are you ready to spend over long term? - DSLR can be expensive, if you decide to go for specialized lenses. You simply cant have lens for each and every occasion that you may want to shoot.
5. Still if you decide on DSLR, remember fast prime lenses are the holy grail than zoom lens. Megapixels and zoom power of the lens, are two probably last things you should consider while deciding a camera and lens.

HTH.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:07   #1830
Senior - BHPian

My 2 unprofessional cents

Quote:
0. Do you have knowledge about basic photography terms and how some parameters affect final image quality? - Like whats an aperture, whats a shutter, whats a sensor, whats white balance and ISO? When someone says, that lens is 18-55mm IS f3.5-4.6, you should be able to understand the meaning of those numbers and terms like IS.
Honestly I have just about begun understanding these terms and have a very long way to go from a professional viewpoint.

Quote:
1. Is this going to be your first camera? - if yes, go for a P&S. Without some basic insights of photography like composition and lighting, any photo with any gear will look rubbish.
I honestly beg to differ. I am more than happy with the quality of pictures with my DSLR as compared to my earlier P&S's. And yes, the pictures are better without any professional insight about lighting & composition. The earlier P&S pictures do look like rubbish in comparision.

Quote:
2. How keen are you on photography? - if you are keen on learning, and this is going to be your first camera, go for a P&S with manual controls option.
3. DSLR with 1 big zoom lens (18-200 etc) defeats the purpose, and can be very well compared with a good P&S like SX1IS from Canon

While Iam keen on learning, I intend to learn at leisure, taking my own time to understand the nuances of photography. Why would I want to buy a P&S and then spend more money upgrading to a DSLR later, when I can get a DSLR at almost the same price of a P&S today. All I need to do then is to add lenses as and when my skills evolve.

Quote:
4. How much are you ready to spend over long term? -
That is irrelevant at the time of purchasing a dslr. Reason being, lens upgrades will be required as and when skills evolve. So if I buy a P&S and my skills evolve later then I need to spend on the whole setup again.

With all due respect to the professional opinions here , I wish to say that one need not start learning to drive a maruti 800 and then upgrade to drive a truck. One can certainly learn to drive a truck from the start, and today, digital photography and the affordable costs of dslrs especially at entry level make a very strong case for a person to choose a DSLR over a P&S, especially those inclined at improving their skills at a later stage, whenever that may be.

And yes, the photos certainly arent rubbish, to the person who finds a difference in comparision to his earlier equipment, while professional opinion will always be critical in terms of technical evaluation.

Cheers,
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th October 2009 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks