Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 13:35   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
I started photography in 1972 with a Canonet QL25 which had a f 2.5 lens while yours have f 1.9 one!
Actually while bidding on the ebay, I just fell for the f1.9 and the mention of near mint condition by the seller(ebay gives you some sought of buer protection if you pay via paypal, if the item is not according to what the seller has mentioned). But unfortunately, I did not do any research on the net as it was last 10 to 15 min for the bidding to end. If I had researched on the net before in hand, laying my hand on the QL17 (its f1.7) would be an awesome thing. It has more value in the market than the QL19. But never mind, I still happy I got a very good piece.

I am yet to finish the first roll, as this is a completely mechanical camera with a film roll, I am taking my sweet time for metering, composing and framing, with metering taking most of the time.

Going by what the author of the blog I mentioned earlier, he says, shoot at least two rolls a week. Now I have to target at least one roll a week. The nova b&w 125 costs Rs 30/- per roll and 20/- for development. I am planning to purchase a developing tank and learn developing the roll myself. We have formed a group of around 5 guys who are interested in film photography and planning to buy an Epson V500 scanner. It can scan both the 35mm film and the medium format film and costs only 13000/-.
I think I should stop this OT, as this is a DSLR thread!!!
Old 24th September 2009, 14:11   #1697
Senior - BHPian

I guess there would be many more film enthusiasts here like me and I cant find a Film users thread anywhere here. So would it be appropriate to start a new film users thread here at Team-BHP?
Old 24th September 2009, 15:10   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I guess there would be many more film enthusiasts here like me and I cant find a Film users thread anywhere here. So would it be appropriate to start a new film users thread here at Team-BHP?
Apart from this thread there are few other dedicated threads for photography in this automotive forum. But photography is a must thing for many auto enthusiasts. What do we want now? A separate sub-section for photography. A nice idea, though. I would like the mods to take a decision on this and better if one of the mods start another thread for film photography. AFAIK, we have at least two mods who like photography.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:17   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Lets talk Leica for a while. The new M9 is a not priced high when compared to other full frame cameras. Only thing it is a Rangefinder mechanism rather than SLR. Rangefinder mechanism and SLR mechanism are two different technologies of photography. Its like reciprocating engines and rotary engines, both are internal combustion engine technologies.

Few days ago, I came across an interesting point of view(in and online blog) on Leica cameras for beginners, who are serious about learning photography. The author says, buy a used Leica for around $1000, learn / practise with it for a year. Lets assume you spend around $200 for film and its development. After a year you can sell your Leica. The good thing about the Leica cameras is that they hold their value or sometimes their value is appreciated. You will recover your $1000 and if you are lucky you might get something between $1000 to $1200. Now your money is back with you, go buy your favorite DSLR or any brand new model.

EDIT:
the links:

The Online Photographer: Why It Has To Be a Leica

The Online Photographer: The Leica as Teacher
A very interesting point of view. I love rangefinders and I love Leicas (although I never could figure out why people raved about them until I got one). I started my photography with a little Minolta rangefinder and I can safely say that it taught me composition. My photography actually worsened when I got my whiz-bang AF SLR with a dinky zoom. Zooms incidentally do the biggest disservice to beginners because they never learn the pleasures of controlling depth of field or correct composition.

Eventually, at a stage in life when I needed the money I sold off my entire kit. Some years later, when I decided to get back into SLR photography, I picked up a manual film SLR with a couple of fixed focal length lenses when the whole world was going digital. I learnt photography all over again with that kit. Four years on I sold the manual equipment to go digital for its convenience and AF abilities. I had by that time received a Leica M3, so I was not completely out of touch with the feel of a quality, manual photography instrument that shot film.

I credit that period of going all manual with helping me see again. Too often beginners skip steps and get caught up in acquiring equipment, mistakenly believing that more gear will help them take better pictures.

I completely agree with this point of view. A Leica would be the best combination of a manual camera and a rangefinder. I now lust for an M9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I do not fully agree with this point of view. As I believe good photography is got by the substance which is 6 inches behind the camera. Camera is just a tool. Give a box camera to a good photographer and you may get a masterpiece. World famous masterpiece photograph even today are black and whites taken using very basic equipment. Best photographer in the history of mankind is Ansel Adams who in 1930s and 1940s took great photos using very simple equipment. see more in -http://www.anseladams.com/
Yes the camera is just a tool and the person behind the camera determines the image but you still have to learn to use the tool - and that is the point. Ansel Adams took great pictures because he had mastered the use of the equipment he was using.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:45   #1700
BHPian

Bought a Nikon D90 with Kit Lens (18-105mm) AF-S VR DX

I own a Nikon F70 but have not been using it for the last 3-4 years now. Have been putting off buying a DSLR for a long time now since my brother who lives close by own a Nikon D70 which I could borrow if required.

When the D90 was launched with the support for GPS Geotagging and HD Video, I was excited. The other thing that interested me about this camera was it switch to CMOS sensors from CCD and very good low light performance. (Photographs taken with a flash have always come out bad for me).

Finally decide to take the plunge and the Camera arrived yesterday. Haven't had an opportunity to explore it completely since it was late but so far it been good.

I have been meaning to buy a GPS unit with the same but haven't come across anything that looks reasonably priced. What would be really cool is a blue tooth enabled camera that can hook up to an external Bluetooth GPS. Or better still have an internal GPS. However, I don't see it in the roadmap of any of the manufacturers and so I decided to take the plunge.

Has anyone on this forum experimented with a cheap GPS hack solution which could enable my D90 to start Geotagging. I already own a Holux GPSlim 240 bluetooth GPS receiver and I am wondering if I can take advantage of the same.

The other products that I looked up include
Shenzhen Solmeta Technology Co.Ltd.
https://www.promotesystems.com/produ...e-GPS-D90.html
digital images GPS - di-GPS mini IIs
foolography GeoTiger

Any other inputs are welcome.
Old 30th September 2009, 00:04   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Like everyone , i have been struck by the DSLR fever.
need some suggestion.
Firstly, any good DSLR in the 30000 INR / 400 GBP range?

Where is it better to take a camera from? India / UK?
Old 30th September 2009, 08:23   #1702
TOR
BHPian

Canon 450D

Nikon D60 or D3000

Oly E-630
Old 30th September 2009, 11:22   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Also try to look at the Panasonic/Olympus micro 4/3 cameras like the Panasonic G1 or the Oly EP1. Great DSLR image quality with a small foot print and changeable lenses. I have seen some reviews and they are glowing.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:24   #1704
BHPian

Wanting to buy a DSLR. Our first. Request Gurus to suggest/recommend between Canon and Nikon. Desired stuff :

Budget is Sub 40,000 inclusive of any accessories that need to be bought (rechargable battery, covers, cases, etc). I have a Sony tripod.
Good after sales service. My experience with Canon India is very good. Not sure of Nikon.

Am based in Mumbai.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:34   #1705
Team-BHP Support

@dushmish: I had similar requirements and i picked up Canon 450D. Add a 50-250 lens and you are set to go.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:09   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@dushmish: I had similar requirements and i picked up Canon 450D. Add a 50-250 lens and you are set to go.
Thanks Jaggu. But that is expensive. A 450D with kit costs 46000 Rs and without kit costs Rs 40000. Plus a lens you are suggesting, should be another 25,000 Rs.

That is way beyond my budget. How is Canon 1000D?
Old 30th September 2009, 13:19   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Wanting to buy a DSLR. Our first. Request Gurus to suggest/recommend between Canon and Nikon. Desired stuff :

Budget is Sub 40,000 inclusive of any accessories that need to be bought (rechargable battery, covers, cases, etc). I have a Sony tripod.
Good after sales service. My experience with Canon India is very good. Not sure of Nikon.

Am based in Mumbai.
As I have said earlier. Both Nikon/Canon or for that matter Olympus/pentax and the rest are fine for the enthusiast amateur market. It all depends on what you like to shoot. See what fits your hands better and choose that brand. All are more than capable of fulfilling most of your future needs. If you plan to go pro or plan to buy a lot of big expensive lenses stick to Canon or Nikon. Between these two its purely your preferences of ergonomics and features. Their lens line is comparable.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:26   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
As I have said earlier. Both Nikon/Canon or for that matter Olympus/pentax and the rest are fine for the enthusiast amateur market. It all depends on what you like to shoot. See what fits your hands better and choose that brand. All are more than capable of fulfilling most of your future needs. If you plan to go pro or plan to buy a lot of big expensive lenses stick to Canon or Nikon. Between these two its purely your preferences of ergonomics and features. Their lens line is comparable.
Thanks Sparkled! Then its not about fitting the hand, it is more about fitting the pocket. For a first time user, anything will fit the hand. You have helpd me with the fitting the mind business already.

Now I need to find a DSLR which is around Rs 30,000. Canon EOS 1000D is one. Any other cameras that fit the bill?
Old 30th September 2009, 13:29   #1709
BHPian

17-40 L Usm?

Would it make sense to move to 17 - 40 L USM f/4 from the kit lense (EFS 18-55 IS)?

The 17-40 costs around 49000. Is the glass good enough to justify the change?
[the other lense i have is a 100mm macro and on the anvil is 70-200 f/2.8, but since i do most on the wide angle end i can put on hold the so called "entry level" telephoto and go for the wide angle instead].

please comment.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:51   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Thanks Sparkled! Then its not about fitting the hand, it is more about fitting the pocket. For a first time user, anything will fit the hand. You have helpd me with the fitting the mind business already.

Now I need to find a DSLR which is around Rs 30,000. Canon EOS 1000D is one. Any other cameras that fit the bill?
Good atleast you have made up your mind, trust me even that takes a lot of time when buying a camera. You have to see the camera especially a DSLR as a whole system. So ergonomics and features become important. When I said 'buy what fits your hand', I meant to try them out and see whats more comfortable to use. IMHO there is quite a difference in the handling of a Nikon vs a Canon. Dont worry about fitting the pocket as the cost will be very competitive and should not really be a deciding factor especially when the difference is not much. At 30000 I am sure that an entry level Olympus will fit. Its particularly attractive as you can get more reach with an Oly as compared to a Nikon or an canon with the same lens.

@Maven: Yes it would definitely make a lot of sense to move to a 17-40 L over the kit lens. You will gain from a constant F4 aperture as well as full ring USM and better build. I guess optically too, there would be a slight gain. However 17mm is not very wide on a crop Canon body (I am assuming that you have a crop sensor body). For true wide angle go for the Canon 10-22 but beware that this is an EF-S lens.

Most Viewed