Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 20:20   #9196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm

After reading the above, and also considering the Nikon D5100 is the newer of the two, i would pick the nikon. Supply constraints that you have mentioned should start to stabilise in the coming months.

"
how will d5100 fair with d90? Has some one done good analysis ? There are conflicting reports when I google searched.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:41   #9197
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
One advantage the Canon(550d) will have over the Nikon D3100 is that the canon has an autofocus motor whereas the Nikon does not have.
Canons don't have the motor in the body either, they too have in-lens motors. Canon went with in-lens AF motor from the start, Nikon tried to keep lenses compatible with new bodies so went with in body motors, but eventually followed Canon ( pro and prosumer bodies still have the motors though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
how will d5100 fair with d90? Has some one done good analysis ? There are conflicting reports when I google searched.
Do you have any Nikkor lenses already, old ones without the AF motor ? If not, you'll be buying new lenses anyway, and there's just a few affordable AF-D ( non-motor ) lenses anyway, so you may as well pick the D5100. The D5100 is better at high ISO/low light, and the resolution is higher too. The 5100's sensor is the same as the D7000. D90 is perhaps now the last remaining bodies left, production probably stopped a while ago. Go with the D5100 unless manual controls matter a lot, in which case the D90 offers more. You may missed the D5100's swivel screen though , the D5100 also does video better. The D90 gets a prism viewfinder , the D3100/5100 get pentamirror ( cheaper but darker and a smaller than the pentaprism on D90), and a top LCD (sometimes useful but no dealbreaker ) , and a few other features not everyone finds useful - like DOF preview , vertical grip (optional for D90 , but not offered for D3100 and D5100 ).

The most important of all these differences are the extra manual control options, the prism viewfinder and AF motor on the D90. If there are important enough for you, then get the D90 (or D7000 if you can stretch) else the D5100 is a more versatile camera.

Last edited by Ricci : 7th February 2012 at 22:50. Reason: clarifications
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 23:01   #9198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Do you have any Nikkor lenses already, old ones without the AF motor ?
The most important of all these differences are the extra manual control options, the prism viewfinder and AF motor on the D90. If there are important enough for you, then get the D90 (or D7000 if you can stretch) else the D5100 is a more versatile camera.
this is great info. I will be hunting for DSLR shortly. I do not have any nikkor lens .I have old canon film SLR with compatible tamron AFS lens currently. I will have to also study if these old lens will work with DSLR and esp. with nikon DSLR. With this information I am tilting towards D5100. I am no pro and more manual controls may not matter much for me.
Old 8th February 2012, 08:59   #9199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

If you want everything at your finger tips, D90 is the way to go. The D90 had dedicated buttons for the most commonly used functions whereas you might have to navigate through the menus in D5100, This might be a factor when you need to shoot at the spur of the moment.

@the person asking the question; ask yourself what you will be shooting?If most of your photos are planned and you have ample time to get your settings right, you go with the D5100. If I was in the market today and had to choose between these I would pick a D90 again. The dedicated control buttons and the top LCD panel will be a deal breaker for me. It might not be for you. Take a call accordingly.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:07   #9200
Senior - BHPian

Unless you've a converter you can't use lenses for Canon on a Nikon body. Also a lot many functions of the lens shall be rendered un-useable with the convertor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post

I do not have any nikkor lens.

I have old canon film SLR with compatible tamron AFS lens currently.

I will have to also study if these old lens will work with DSLR and esp. with nikon DSLR.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:29   #9201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Friends

I am picking up my Sony HX100V today evening. Excited. My first tryst with a DSLR-like (bridge) camera. After a lot of reading on web and magazines, I decided that I will first get myself acquainted with DSLR like functions and then jump into the DSLR band wagon. Budget was never a problem, but knowledge was. I will get a chance to test the cam immediately with the impending TeamBHP-Pune meet scheduled for this Sunday.

Cheers!!
Hi ajay, congrats on your new purchase. I too am a proud owner of this sony model since october 2011. And am very very satisfied with the performance of this camera. Like you instead of opting for an entry lever DSLR i decided to hone in my skills with a bridge camera. The thing with this camera is that its got a setting called "i Auto+" its so brilliant in all types of photography i hardly find myself using the manual settings or any other settings for that matter . Anyways congrats once again and hope your experience with it is as pleasant and satisfying as mine has been so far.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:38   #9202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi ajay, congrats on your new purchase. I too am a proud owner of this sony model since october 2011. And am very very satisfied with the performance of this camera. Like you instead of opting for an entry lever DSLR i decided to hone in my skills with a bridge camera. The thing with this camera is that its got a setting called "i Auto+" its so brilliant in all types of photography i hardly find myself using the manual settings or any other settings for that matter . Anyways congrats once again and hope your experience with it is as pleasant and satisfying as mine has been so far.
Thanks amrisharm. Actually, I have not yet picked up the camera. It was out of stock at every place under the Sun, including Flipkart, Ebay and all sorts of places. Today morning I checked Flipkart and they have it in stock now. So looks like a big shipment has arrived as promised by the Sony guys. Will probably get my hands on it today evening. BTW, what was the price you paid and what freebies did you get?
Old 8th February 2012, 11:56   #9203
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks amrisharm. Actually, I have not yet picked up the camera. It was out of stock at every place under the Sun, including Flipkart, Ebay and all sorts of places. Today morning I checked Flipkart and they have it in stock now. So looks like a big shipment has arrived as promised by the Sony guys. Will probably get my hands on it today evening. BTW, what was the price you paid and what freebies did you get?
Oh sorry to hear. Hope you get it soon. To answer your question, The MRP is Rs. 22,990, and I got it for Rs.22,000 flat. With this I got a HDMI cable, 4GB memory card and a carry bag (LCS-U10) all free. If possible try going to a smaller store instead of big electronic stores, its easier to bargain. I looked at this model at the official Sony store plus at Future groups e-zone and they were giving me no discounts. So i went to this medium size store that sells cameras of all manufacturers, nikon, canon, panasonic, sony etc, and there they give me a a Rs 1,000 discount.

P.S the sales rep accepted Rs 22,00 from me but on the official receipt he printed Rs 22,500. He said he had to do this to keep the 3 year warranty valid.

Last edited by amrisharm : 8th February 2012 at 12:06.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:44   #9204
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I got my Sony HX100V yesterday evening finally. The final deal was: 22.5k with 4GB card + HDMI cable + Sony original carry case.

I just wanted to share one sample photo here, before I start posting my photos in the Non-Auto image thread. I am sure I can do a little better, but this is the best I could manage with the limited knowledge I have right now.

Aperture: F2.8
F number: F5.6
EV: +0.0
Metering mode: Center weighted (This is the setting which got the best result for me)
ISO: 160
Shutter speed: 1/250

Except the Metering mode, all settings are Auto. This image is a crop from the original file.

The DSLR Thread-moon1.jpg

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th February 2012 at 11:46.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:57   #9205
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I got my Sony HX100V yesterday evening finally. The final deal was: 22.5k with 4GB card + HDMI cable + Sony original carry case.

EV: +0.0
Metering mode: Center weighted (This is the setting which got the best result for me)
ISO: 160
Shutter speed: 1/250

Except the Metering mode, all settings are Auto. This image is a crop from the original file.

Attachment 884890
nice...but how come you have two aperture values for 1 pic

Try around f8-f9 and you will get even more details...
Old 9th February 2012, 11:59   #9206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
nice...but how come you have two aperture values for 1 pic

Try around f8-f9 and you will get even more details...
I don't know how there are two aperture values. As I mentioned, except the Metering mode, everything else was Auto. Will remember to set it at F8-F9. Thanks rajismine. Also, it was a overcast condition in Pune yesterday. I am not sure, but may be that might have resulted in the unnecessary aura-like effect around the periphery.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th February 2012 at 12:01.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:08   #9207

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Very frankly speaking, I dont need a 36 MP cam unless I am getting into the Fashion & Glamour or Ad line. Its too much MP to handle and my present PC will die within 24 hours.
Exact same argument that was on everyone`s lips when 5D mk2 came out, yet it has been #1 on flickr ever since

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Disappointing. Am not much enamoured by its MPs. Was looking for a new generation low-light capability. Choice now between a D700 or a D3S depending on the depth of the pocket.
D700 = D800 in terms of Low light (from all the samples available so far), actually ISO 6400 from D800 looks better but that can be attributed to higher DR from 36mp (same thing appears in D3x).

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I am waiting for the D700 vs D800 low light quality. If there is not much gain then D700 will be a good choice !!! If D800 is better then I would go for that side as it can also shoot in lower resolutions also why take photos in 36mp !!!
So far everything is pointing to D800 being equal to D700 in terms of Low Light performance. But having higher mp equates to better DR which down sampling will increase further. In laymens terms, D800 images downsampled to 12mp will be much better in IQ than D700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Shaju
This looks like an awesome alternative to a medium format body at this price point, so landscape shooters can rejoice, so can commercial photographers and of course with uncompressed HDMI output, low budget film making is only getting better!
As you can see, the promo video is intentionally shot in really dark conditions and boy it looks really good! From my experience shooting on the 5D mark2 in available light at night on the streets, this footage looks way way better in terms of noise. Wish it was 1080p on Youtube, for some reason it's just 720p.
BTS video is on Vimeo, I thought how good it looked in dark scenes but then BTS video showed they lit the dark scenes lol, still impressive though.

I will be getting D800 rather than D4 but then again my customers only get 6mp jpegs
Old 9th February 2012, 14:47   #9208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Exact same argument that was on everyone`s lips when 5D mk2 came out, yet it has been #1 on flickr ever since ....
Mine was not an argument but a genuine opinion. I dont need 36MP by any chance. 5D MII is around for sometime and I got my D700 with half the megapixel for the same price of a 5DMII for obvious reasons. Here the only relief is for people who are considering Medium Formats, D800 will be a double bang for buck. Shot with PRO glasses, I dont think anyone would tell me a difference in the images of D700 and D7000 in normal conditions.

My personal site has over 270 images shot with D60, D90, D700 and D7000. If I add another 50 images taken with a D800 to it, nobody is going to scream "Wow, D800 is used here" I may get one when the time is right, but not for the MP count !
Old 9th February 2012, 14:58   #9209

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Mine was not an argument but a genuine opinion. I dont need 36MP by any chance. 5D MII is around for sometime and I got my D700 with half the megapixel for the same price of a 5DMII for obvious reasons. Here the only relief is for people who are considering Medium Formats, D800 will be a double bang for buck. Shot with PRO glasses, I dont think anyone would tell me a difference in the images of D700 and D7000 in normal conditions.

My personal site has over 270 images shot with D60, D90, D700 and D7000. If I add another 50 images taken with a D800 to it, nobody is going to scream "Wow, D800 is used here" I may get one when the time is right, but not for the MP count !
Sorry mate if i touched a topic but this was not my point. I never said one can or cannot tell where the image came from.

D800 is niche product while still being an All rounder, if you get my drift. Everyone knew FPS wasn`t going to be similar to D4 or even close to it. It was well known low light performance will not match D4. Otherwise Nikon would do the same mistake they did with D3-D700.
Old 9th February 2012, 19:07   #9210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Sorry mate if i touched a topic but this was not my point. I never said one can or cannot tell where the image came from.....
Hey come on, I am not against your point, I am with you I have the HD video option right from my D90 days (2010), now an improved version with my D7000. But I have never taken a single video even for fun. So you know these HD capabilities and all connected topics go way over head. Max print size done till date is just 12x18 too, which a 12MP cam does very well. Means the 16MP of my D7000 is still a luxury to me

But the moment I look at Fashion, Glamour, HQ Printing etc. nothing comes closer to D800 right now as the best value for money !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks