Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 10:52   #9271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Any suggestion for good/professional shop in Pune for UV filter.

I went to Sun shoppe at Goodluck chouk for fitting screen guard but got nervous with the camera handling of guy while applying screen guard, so didn't thought of applying UV filter, I want it to done by professional.

Thanks,
Vishal
As far as I know, there are two shops which should do the job skillfully and carefully. One is VK Sales at the begining of Laxmi Road when you come from Deccan side and another is CamShot at Parihar Chowk. I have spoken to Mr. Vaidya of CamShot and he is extremely knowledgeable person when it comes to photography.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 12:27   #9272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Planning to get a budget circular polarize filter for my 18-55mm kit lens (Canon 1100D). I was going through Flipkart and came across "Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Filter" which is priced at 1.7K.

Do you guys have any idea about the usability of this filter and how effective is it?
Any heads up on this?
Old 24th February 2012, 12:28   #9273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
One is VK Sales at the begining of Laxmi Road when you come from Deccan side
The place VK Sales used to operate from on Laxmi road has been now occupied by Kirti.

Does anyone know where has VK sales moved to? They have/had good team & owner family has been in this business for many decades.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:54   #9274
BHPian

In ebay.in, there is a bargain price for DSLRs.
Canon 1100D - 23750
Canon 550D - 33790
Canon 600D -43290

I got my Canon 1100D, if anyone planning to buy DSLR get it now.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:10   #9275

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

The only thing the 550D lacks is the swivel screen,right? Its up to you to decide if you need the swivel. It might help while composing in difficult angles. And adds to the cool quotient. Apart from these, I see no real advantage. If I was in your shoes,I would rather spend the 10k on a lens or a tripod. But, that's me, your view maybe different
That is a very valid point.

So I have decided to ditch the 600D get 550D(18-55mm). Flipkart is selling it for 38k, plus a tripod, carry bag and UV filter free. I suppose that is a good deal.

With the extra money, I want to get a 50mm primary lens with a large aperture and maybe a 18-200mm lens. Any suggestions?
Old 25th February 2012, 20:05   #9276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post

Flipkart is selling it for 38k, plus a tripod, carry bag and UV filter free. I suppose that is a good deal.

With the extra money, I want to get a 50mm primary lens with a large aperture and maybe a 18-200mm lens. Any suggestions?

Which tripod and which bag?You will seek a new tripod and carry bag within a week, promise.

They do their work,yes. But its always wise to invest in a nice sturdy tripod and a good carry case. Personal experience,take it from me. I hadn't bought a tripod back then and was making use of the el cheapo 500 buck pod. My heart popped when the damn thing toppled. Luckily I had the strap around me neck!

A few posts back R2D2 mentioned about getting a good quality carry bag, I concur with him. Apart from providing good protection, they don't scream 'Canon' or 'Nikon'. The less attention you draw, the better it is. In fact, I am chucking the Nikon strap and getting one of the black rapide, just saving for those.

A 50mm is always a nice addition for those portraits. I would suggest a 18-135 instead of the 18-55. I really don't know much about the Canon's line up, I'll let others answer it.
Old 25th February 2012, 21:24   #9277

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

Which tripod and which bag?You will seek a new tripod and carry bag within a week, promise.

They do their work,yes. But its always wise to invest in a nice sturdy tripod and a good carry case. Personal experience,take it from me. I hadn't bought a tripod back then and was making use of the el cheapo 500 buck pod. My heart popped when the damn thing toppled. Luckily I had the strap around me neck!

A few posts back R2D2 mentioned about getting a good quality carry bag, I concur with him. Apart from providing good protection, they don't scream 'Canon' or 'Nikon'. The less attention you draw, the better it is. In fact, I am chucking the Nikon strap and getting one of the black rapide, just saving for those.

A 50mm is always a nice addition for those portraits. I would suggest a 18-135 instead of the 18-55. I really don't know much about the Canon's line up, I'll let others answer it.
I completely agree with you. I'm aware that these freebies aren't the best quality(I've had some experiences too :-P ). But they do their job and I'm okay with it. At least I can use them for a while and then use them as a backup once I get better equipment. The only thing is that I have to be careful with the tripod.

So, to the others:

I'm getting a Canon 550D(ditched the 600D) with a 18-55mm lens.

Now I'm looking for lenses. I definitely want to have a 50mm for all those nice portraits and Bokeh. OMG I totally love Bokeh! The other lens I want is a zoom lens, preferably 18-200mm for versatility. Kindly recommend good lenses/brands.
Old 25th February 2012, 22:06   #9278

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

Well Guys since the discussion has started about tripods, wanted to know how to protect the base of the DSLR from scratches caused when the camera is attached on the plate of the tripod.
I have a Canon 550d, wanted to buy a tripod, but delayed the decision because was not clear about this thing.
I searched the net for this and found a remedy in form of Gaffer's tape.
Is this how you guys protect the DSLR ?
Old 25th February 2012, 22:52   #9279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post

So I have decided to ditch the 600D get 550D(18-55mm). Flipkart is selling it for 38k, plus a tripod, carry bag and UV filter free. I suppose that is a good deal.

@gopinathann
Thanks for the heads-up.

@itspb
At the outset, let me say I am a huge huge fan of flipkart; i ordered my 550D from there and have shopped for about 2L yet.

However for your cam, in retrospect, I would suggest you order it from ebay@33,890.00. You save about 5K and trust me, you will want a new tripod, bag and filters before you know it. I've been wanting to get a new bag but have been really really trying to be a 'good boy' in my dearest wifey's words and have not ordered it yet.

Now to put this in perspective, you save about 15K (vs. flipkart and the T3i), and you get the camera body and the kit lens. Now the kit lens is not horrible; im assuming you are comparing images from a DSLR to a P&S or something else and given the controls of a DSLR, you can already get better control of your images. in fact, the kit lens is downright brilliant for starting out. Coming to the point i'm making, for your 15K, you can get a 50mm lens for 67XX, a bag that you exactly want, and a tripod that you can work with, all from Flipkart. This save gives you the ability to choose exactly what you, when you want it and also pay the least for the Camera body.

Then order the 3 filter pack from flipkart for the 58 mm and you are super set. Honestly, i dont see the point of the UV lens but the polariser and ND filter are good keeps. Alternatively, if you dont want all this above, you can get the 55-250 lens for lil over 15K, if zoom at this stage is really really important to you, but thats your call.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 25th February 2012 at 22:55.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:02   #9280
BHPian

Hey all, I need some help in Poona.

I have not been to source a ND graduated filter 58mm filter. I tried online (india based shops only) and shops in the Camp area.

Any suggestions/help?
Old 25th February 2012, 23:47   #9281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Well Guys since the discussion has started about tripods, wanted to know how to protect the base of the DSLR from scratches caused when the camera is attached on the plate of the tripod.
I have a Canon 550d, wanted to buy a tripod, but delayed the decision because was not clear about this thing.
I searched the net for this and found a remedy in form of Gaffer's tape.
Is this how you guys protect the DSLR ?

I don't have any scratches on the body yet (touch wood). Even if I do, I wouldn't fret that much. I am more worried about a scratch on the lens or lcd.

You can try the gaffer's tape or the duct tape. Just make sure the surface doesn't become sticky when you remove it
Old 25th February 2012, 23:49   #9282
BHPian

+1 to sachinj12 post.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of scratches you can get to the tripod head or base plate. Can we have a lookee?
Old 26th February 2012, 00:35   #9283
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a wide angle lens for a trip to ladakh leh in September. I have narrowed down to 10-22 Canon. Anything else which is better than this ? Any pointers on the price too ? I have a Canon 550 D
Old 26th February 2012, 01:00   #9284

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight

@gopinathann
Thanks for the heads-up.

@itspb
At the outset, let me say I am a huge huge fan of flipkart; i ordered my 550D from there and have shopped for about 2L yet.

However for your cam, in retrospect, I would suggest you order it from ebay@33,890.00. You save about 5K and trust me, you will want a new tripod, bag and filters before you know it. I've been wanting to get a new bag but have been really really trying to be a 'good boy' in my dearest wifey's words and have not ordered it yet.

Now to put this in perspective, you save about 15K (vs. flipkart and the T3i), and you get the camera body and the kit lens. Now the kit lens is not horrible; im assuming you are comparing images from a DSLR to a P&S or something else and given the controls of a DSLR, you can already get better control of your images. in fact, the kit lens is downright brilliant for starting out. Coming to the point i'm making, for your 15K, you can get a 50mm lens for 67XX, a bag that you exactly want, and a tripod that you can work with, all from Flipkart. This save gives you the ability to choose exactly what you, when you want it and also pay the least for the Camera body.

Then order the 3 filter pack from flipkart for the 58 mm and you are super set. Honestly, i dont see the point of the UV lens but the polariser and ND filter are good keeps. Alternatively, if you dont want all this above, you can get the 55-250 lens for lil over 15K, if zoom at this stage is really really important to you, but thats your call.

Hope it helps.
2L?! :O Flipkart started selling motorbikes? Anyhow, how is the camera?!

Ebay? Isn't it risky to order it from there? You know, the packaging, warranty, genuine stuff, customer support...

However, I think you have saved me a lot of money if I order from ebay. 34k with the kit lens is an amazing deal. The saved 5k can be used for a memory card, bag, and filters. I'm not sure about getting a tripod, I dont see myself using it.

I'm aware of the kit lens being amazing. And I'm not comparing images from 550D with the ones from P&S. Even when compared with other DSLRs, I guess 550D gives amazing results(correct me if I'm wrong :-P ).

Now for the doubts:

- I want to get a prime 50mm lens. Canon or tamron or anything else? Approx price?

- I might get a 18-200mm lens. Canon or tamron or sigma? Approx price

- Brands for good bags, memory cards, and tripod (which model and make)? Approx price?

- Filters, necessary? use? brand? Approx price?

I'm sorry for all these questions but I'm a beginner and this is my first camera/big investment so have to make sure everything if planned correctly. Hope you understand.

Any input/suggestions/advice/arguments regarding 550D are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 02:26   #9285

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hey all, I need some help in Poona.

I have not been to source a ND graduated filter 58mm filter. I tried online (india based shops only) and shops in the Camp area.

Any suggestions/help?
If you cannot find decent nd filter, just grab a welding glass from hardware shop and mount it in a uv filter ring, there are guides on the net on how to do this, only diff is color cast which you can correct by using a grey (gray?) card.

Usually one can find 52mm and 58mm welding glass or a big glass plate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks