Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

The D800 gets listed - Nikon D800 D-SLR Camera | High Dynamic Range Camera
Old 10th February 2012, 08:44   #9212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys, I got my Sony HX100V yesterday evening finally. The final deal was: 22.5k with 4GB card + HDMI cable + Sony original carry case.

I just wanted to share one sample photo here, before I start posting my photos in the Non-Auto image thread. I am sure I can do a little better, but this is the best I could manage with the limited knowledge I have right now.

Aperture: F2.8
F number: F5.6
EV: +0.0
Metering mode: Center weighted (This is the setting which got the best result for me)
ISO: 160
Shutter speed: 1/250

Except the Metering mode, all settings are Auto. This image is a crop from the original file.

Attachment 884890
Try this
Choose Aperture
f number between 8-11 i.e f/8-f/11
ISO around 500-800
EV- compensate it. I usually keep the EV to around -4 to -5. This reduces the halo effect around the moon.

Mount it on a tripod and use a remote release. Or use self timer.
Old 10th February 2012, 09:53   #9213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Try this
Choose Aperture
f number between 8-11 i.e f/8-f/11
ISO around 500-800
EV- compensate it. I usually keep the EV to around -4 to -5. This reduces the halo effect around the moon.

Mount it on a tripod and use a remote release. Or use self timer.
Thanks sachinj12. I will try this for sure and will update. I am going to get the Sony tripod today, since it was not in stock when I got the camera.
Old 11th February 2012, 00:40   #9214
BHPian

I was also in the same confusion, however due to budget went with 1100d in ebay.in for 23750 with 2 years canon warranty. So it almost the same price in us but we get warranty here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Dear all,
I am intermediate laver photographer, I was playing with digital camera however it got damaged and now I have reason to buy a DSLR. My budget is 35k, I found good offer on amazon.com, i will deliver the camera at friend's location in USA and he will bring it here. So the offer is as below:

1. Canon 550D + 18-55mm = 30k
2. Canon 1100D + 18-55mm+ 55+250mm = 35 k

And the question which will be wise decision.

There is one more thought of waiting till 20th feb for president day for better offer and get 550D but still not sure

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th February 2012, 10:47   #9215
BHPian

Ok that's gr8! Warranty is not an issue Amazon is best seller and they offer world wide warranty too, i am getting good price for canon 550 and some gadgets like backpack, memory card etc.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th February 2012, 13:00   #9216
BHPian

I believe electronics bought in US does not cover India warranty though it is mentioned as international. in case of any problem it needs to be sent to US again. I have bought many items from US but if there is 30 percent price difference.
Old 11th February 2012, 13:45   #9217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I believe electronics bought in US does not cover India warranty though it is mentioned as international. in case of any problem it needs to be sent to US again. I have bought many items from US but if there is 30 percent price difference.
Yes, DSLRs have country specific warranties. Purchases in the US are covered under an 'international' warranty in the sense that Canon Canada will honour the warranty.

Quote:
Ok that's gr8! Warranty is not an issue Amazon is best seller and they offer world wide warranty too, i am getting good price for canon 550 and some gadgets like backpack, memory card etc.

Thanks,
Vishal
That's not true. Amazon doesn't offer any warranty on DSLRs and it is always by the mfr in this case Canon.

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55IS II Kit

Check the link and click on 'Warranty terms'. Their warranty is only US and Canada.

Please do not buy a DSLR abroad if you are interested in warranty coverage. Yes, you will save some money but that needs to be set off against the lack of warranty and technical support here. The only exception is Canon Singapore whose warranty coverage extends to India as well. Film SLRs and all accessories (lenses, flashes, etc) are covered by an international warranty.

Similarly Nikon India is very strict about warranty coverage - you will get a polite refusal if the body was purchased abroad. In fact Nikon won't touch grey market units even for paid service.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th February 2012 at 13:47.
Old 11th February 2012, 19:08   #9218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

Yes, DSLRs have country specific warranties. Purchases in the US are covered under an 'international' warranty in the sense that Canon Canada will honour the warranty.

That's not true. Amazon doesn't offer any warranty on DSLRs and it is always by the mfr in this case Canon.

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55IS II Kit

Check the link and click on 'Warranty terms'. Their warranty is only US and Canada.

Please do not buy a DSLR abroad if you are interested in warranty coverage. Yes, you will save some money but that needs to be set off against the lack of warranty and technical support here. The only exception is Canon Singapore whose warranty coverage extends to India as well. Film SLRs and all accessories (lenses, flashes, etc) are covered by an international warranty.

Similarly Nikon India is very strict about warranty coverage - you will get a polite refusal if the body was purchased abroad. In fact Nikon won't touch grey market units even for paid service.

Cheers!
Guys, thanks for information but then how so many people suggest to buy it from USA and save more than 10k

I need to work fast on this as i was just waiting for president day for better offer, if this is going to be problematic then better not to buy it from there as this is my DSLR.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 12th February 2012, 09:30   #9219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks for information but then how so many people suggest to buy it from USA and save more than 10k
I got my D90 from Malaysian grey market. I got it for 47k while it was retailing here for 57k.

My 6 year old Canon PnS was bought grey and it still works like new. If you lose sleep over warranty, you better buy it here.

From my personal experience and from many friends of mine who have bought in grey, none of us have faced any problem whatsoever (touchwood).

I would be wary if I am buying a flash or any other electronic equipment.
Old 12th February 2012, 11:46   #9220
Senior - BHPian

Re: 36 MP D800 officially announced !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Disappointing. Am not much enamoured by its MPs. Was looking for a new generation low-light capability. Choice now between a D700 or a D3S depending on the depth of the pocket.
Why not wait for the D400? I am waiting for that...since I like wildlife photography, the extra reach of DX is useful.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:19   #9221
BHPian

Hello to all the camera experts.

I am quite inclined towards photography ever since i have got my car. This is led me to understand the things about photography and photoshop. I have gone through the video tutorials available over the internet and do believe that i have sufficient information when it comes to photography.

I am looking to buy my first DLSR. Now, this is not going to happen ( Sometime in August) soon but i would like to know the suggestions as this will help me not only research but also find the right price and right camera.

I am interested in shooting Candid Portrait, Portrait , Landscape, Nature and Subject photography ( have i covered them all?).

1. Which of the companies offers me the best images for the above mentioned purposes?

2. Considering a budget of around 50k, which camera would be right?

3. Which will be the good lenses for the above mentioned purposes?

4. Since i reside in Mumbai, any particular shop/area for purchase at reasonable price?

5. What all things should be the criteria for shortlisting?
a. Sensor ( How do you know which is better than the other?)
b. Shutter speed
c. Aperture
d. Megapixel count
e. Anything else?

6. What are the various types of lenses , can all the lenses be fit into the new generation SLR's?

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 12th February 2012 at 12:27.
Old 12th February 2012, 18:52   #9222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hello to all the camera experts.

I am quite inclined towards photography ever since i have got my car. This is led me to understand the things about photography and photoshop. I have gone through the video tutorials available over the internet and do believe that i have sufficient information when it comes to photography.

I am looking to buy my first DLSR. Now, this is not going to happen ( Sometime in August) soon but i would like to know the suggestions as this will help me not only research but also find the right price and right camera.

Read the articles by Nasim Mansurov, he has a nice coverage of various topics in photography : Photography Tips for Beginners

I am interested in shooting Candid Portrait, Portrait , Landscape, Nature and Subject photography ( have i covered them all?).

1. Which of the companies offers me the best images for the above mentioned purposes?

It is too generic, but wide angle lenses by Nikon are usually better than Canon and others, while Canon telephoto lenses are better than others. Of course, we are talking of the best lenses for pros, consumer lenses have much less difference.

2. Considering a budget of around 50k, which camera would be right?

I would recommend Nikon D5100 , but you may want to spell out more requirements. Current crop of Nikons are better than Canon equivalents at low light/high ISO, and have better dynamic range, but it may not translate to much in real world - depends on shooting conditions and what you shoot. Read the reviews and compare photos of the same on DPReview.com reviews, and imaging-resource.com . These are w.r.t sensor, lenses have their impact on image quality as well. Canon comes with software for RAW conversion, with Nikon you have to buy the full feature NX2 s/w separate , though you do get basic RAW converter ViewNX CD with the camera - this matters if you shoot RAW. You also need to check the cameras physically for how they feel in hand, many people prefer the feel of one over the other. I prefer Nikons, others prefer Canon , yet others would prefer Sony and so on.

3. Which will be the good lenses for the above mentioned purposes?

You would want some primes , 35mm f/1.8G , 50mm f/1.8G being among the most useful for portraits/close distance shots. For landscape, you may want wider angle lenses, such as Tokina 11-16 or similar focal range zoom/prime lenses. Some lenses in these ranges can be had within 35k , some are more expensive going to 70-80k. For wildlife, longer focal lengths, 300mm or higher - but these are expensive beyond 300mm. You can have the 55-300 Nikkor for 18k , or the 70-300 for 25k. Canons will be similarly priced, or cheaper.

4. Since i reside in Mumbai, any particular shop/area for purchase at reasonable price?

JJ Mehta is one reputed shop, but look around for other deals, JJ Mehta isn't the cheapest retailer.

5. What all things should be the criteria for shortlisting?
a. Sensor ( How do you know which is better than the other?)
b. Shutter speed
c. Aperture
d. Megapixel count
e. Anything else?

Sensor ratings can be found at DXOMark : DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings

Shutter speeds in the range you look at are the same, 30sec to 1/4000, so leave that out as common for all. Aperture depends on the lens , and you want the widest aperture (smallest f number ) you can get, but those lenses tend to be costlier as well. Ignore megapixel count, the current range of DSLRs are all fine for most people , only those who need to print big banners/posters of magazine shooters for fashion/product shoots need high resolution than what current 14-18MP cameras offer. Real world resolution also depends on the lenses you use, not just the sensor. A 16MP D7000 may not resolve much more detail than a 12MP D90 if the lenses are not up to it, or if the conditions (dust/haze) don't comply.

6. What are the various types of lenses , can all the lenses be fit into the new generation SLR's?

No, not all lenses fit any DSLR. Typically, you only use the lenses for that mount : Nikon DSLRs use F-mount, Canons use EF-mount, Pentax has K-mount etc. Canon cameras have more compatibility to mount other lenses, such as Nikkors , with adapters, though they may not auto-focus and meter, which you must do manually. Third party suppliers like Sigma, Tokina and Tamron also make lenses for Nikon F-mount, Canon and Sony A-mount (no need for adapter).
See replies in bold.

Last edited by Ricci : 12th February 2012 at 18:58. Reason: added more detail
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 19:54   #9223
BHPian

@Ricci - Thanks a lot for the tons of information provided to me at one go. I will surely read the reviews of the various cameras and consult you guys before the purchase. The primary requirement is portraits and subject photography. I am not too much into wildlife, but Landscape and nature is important but not primary.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:36   #9224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
@Ricci - Thanks a lot for the tons of information provided to me at one go. I will surely read the reviews of the various cameras and consult you guys before the purchase. The primary requirement is portraits and subject photography. I am not too much into wildlife, but Landscape and nature is important but not primary.
Ok, then you can skip long focal length lenses. If you or your relatives visit/can source from the US or elsewhere, you can also look at Pentax cameras, theirs are a VFM brand but some like the K-5 are excellent even compared to the Nikon/Canon equivalents.

Focal lengths are usually taken in full-frame/35mm film equivalent, our budget SLRs use a smaller sensor, due to which the effective view changes with the same lens as on full-frame by a factor of 1.5. So you need to get lens focal length accordingly.

85mm is a very commonly use focal lenght, on a crop DSLR (Nikon calls them DX , Canon calls them APS-C ) you need to use a 50mm focal length for the same , while 35mm is closest to the 50mm full frame (called FX by Nikon) equivalent.

Apart from the kit lens (18-55mm) , these are the lenses you might be interested in for your shooting :
AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G ~ price not announce, should be under 20k
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G ~ Rs 13k
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ~ Rs 13k

If you buy a Nikon D90 - you can buy the cheaper AF-D lenses such as AF 50mm f/1.8D for 5.5k , 24mm f/2.8D for 22k - but these AF-D lenses are older designs, not necessarily poor, but the newer AF-S lenses of the same focal length and aperture are better, at a cost.

You can alternatively choose a fast zoom such as Sigma 16-50 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 , around 30k each, or the ultra-wide angle Tokina 11-16 which is around 36k.

Not to veer you toward Nikon, checkout Canon equivalents of the above, they may be upto 10-15% cheaper. Look for the Canon EOS 550D (38k with 18-55 kit lens) and 1100D (cheapest Canon right now 28k) or Nikon D5100 (41-42 with 18-55 kit lens) or D3100 (32k with 18-55kit lens). The D90 is older, but has a built in AF motor allowing use of AF-D lenses, 43k for the body and 58k with 18-105mm kit lens.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 22:42   #9225
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions for a Lens hood for my D3100 with 18-55mm Lens. What is the difference between Bayonet and Flower petal hoods? And what is advisable so as to have minimum vignetting?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks