Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 23:45   #8461
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How can there be a difference of 2000? I also bought the same for 29000 from authorized dealer posted on Nikon's site.

PS - Are rates in north higher than south India?
I think it depends on the dealer, they may reduce their margins to push their stocks faster.
(I was also quoted only 22.5K for the D3000).
Old 15th September 2011, 23:56   #8462
BHPian

Re: Nikon D3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I bought it in Tirunelveli from an authorized dealer (referred Nikon India web page):
Raja Photo Stores - phone: 0462-2335191.
I contacted them through another mutual friend, they was quoting 27,500 but came down to 27K.
You can try calling them, they said that they also have a shop in Tuticorin and will deliver there.
Contact person was one Mr.Kumar who was friendly.

Buying online is a risk because 1) the amount is relatively large, 2) Nikon may not honour
warranty if not their authorized dealer.

Very satisfied with my purchase.
Manim, Thank you very much. I will most likely drive during diwali time to Tuticorin and I will contact the dealer then. Can I refer your name to him as friend when I talk to him?
Old 16th September 2011, 00:27   #8463
BHPian

Re: Nikon D3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Manim, Thank you very much. I will most likely drive during diwali time to Tuticorin and I will contact the dealer then. Can I refer your name to him as friend when I talk to him?
You are welcome!
But my name will not mean anything to him, as I said I went to him through another mutual friend. However you can tell him that you know that he had billed a piece for 27K on 26.Aug.11.

Quote:
Also guide me whether I should always shoot in RAW or JPEG is fine?

JJ mehta is quoting Rs. 300 for 4GB, Rs. 600 for 8 GB, Rs. 1250 for 16GB and Rs. 2600 for 32GB.
I had been doing some study on this (raw Vs jpeg) and you will find it like a flaming war between say, C++ Vs Java! if you refer the internet.

I did some tests (using my tripod) taking various sizes and jpeg-compression and compared it on my Full-HD Vaio and a 32" Sony LCD TV.
My eyes cannot make out any difference between Large-Basic Vs Large-Fine (even when zoomed 100%), But the file size of the latter is 4 times bigger!

Only when I took a highly detailed shot of a embroidery, there was a faint difference. In real-life this will matter only if you take huge-size print-outs.

My conclusion: I will use Large-Basic mostly, and go for Medium-Normal or Small-Basic when I plan to only view on displays and never print it.

I never plan to use raw, but maybe if I happen to shoot some once in a life-time event, I can do this to preserve all my information.

I think Flipkart rates are cheaper than the one you have mentioned.
Old 16th September 2011, 00:38   #8464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

I had been doing some study on this (raw Vs jpeg) and you will find it like a flaming war between say, C++ Vs Java! if you refer the internet.

I did some tests (using my tripod) taking various sizes and jpeg-compression and compared it on my Full-HD Vaio and a 32" Sony LCD TV.
RAW vs JPEG matters more when it comes to post processing , RAW files have bit depth of 14 bits per pixel so there is more information about each individual pixel , Jpegs are 8 bits per channel max.

This means you can do a lot more adjustments over raw file.

For example if there are highlights and lowlights in picture it can be very easily recovered in RAW using a slider ( in Canon DPP tool) , If you have JPEG then recovering image means lots of steps using layers and then also you will not be fully able to get same quality.
Same goes for color levels.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 07:30   #8465
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am Dr.Ashwinkumar from chennai. I am nowhere into photography till now.

I have recently got a basic DSLR Canon EOS 1100D with ( EF-S 18-55 iii) Kit and tripod as a compliment, which is motivating me to study photography more ardently. Is this a good enough camera?

Are there any websites from which i can learn the basics of aperture/ shutter /ISO and things?

The kit comes with 18-55 lens. Are there any other lenses which i need to buy for some good photography as basic investment?

There is a training program given by canon which i have enrolled and looking forward to go. Are these training program any useful?

Please advice

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2011 at 15:10. Reason: Not deleting as per your reported post, as your post already as replies here. Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 08:20   #8466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Hi guys,

I have recently got a basic DSLR Canon EOS 1100D with ( EF-S 18-55 iii) Kit and tripod as a compliment, which is motivating me to study photography more ardently. Is this a good enough camera?

Are there any websites from which i can learn the basics of aperture/ shutter /ISO and things?

The kit comes with 18-55 lens. Are there any other lenses which i need to buy for some good photography as basic investment?

There is a training program given by canon which i have enrolled and looking forward to go. Are these training program any useful?

Please advice
Welcome to the club doc.

1100D is more than good enough. The best start is the user manual. Please read it completely and most of your doubts will be answered.

Use 1100D for couple of years before purchasing additional lenses and other equipments.

Lastly - keep experimenting
Old 16th September 2011, 08:52   #8467
BHPian

Quote:
JJ mehta is quoting Rs. 300 for 4GB, Rs. 600 for 8 GB, Rs. 1250 for 16GB and Rs. 2600 for 32GB.

Are these prices OK? My budget is not above 1500 so 32 GB is out for now.
What is the class of these cards? Class of a SD/SDHC card decides how fast your camera can write to the card. For example, write speed of a class 4 card is approx 4mbps. I'd suggest you go for a class 6 card at least (10 would be better).
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 11:00   #8468
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some I used:

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures (Nikon biased)
Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community
Photography and Photos of the Day - National Geographic
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 16:33   #8469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

The best camera in the world is the one you wield. Apart from Ken Rockwell, try Thom Hogan's guide, they are equally good.
Old 17th September 2011, 15:59   #8470
BHPian

Today's offer in Ebay is for Nikon D3100 for Rs. 23,999 with free shipping and 2 year manufacturer's warranty and 4GB memory card.
Anyone interested, hurry up.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 21:12   #8471
Senior - BHPian

Can we take Panoramic shot from D3100? If yes then how?
Old 20th September 2011, 03:08   #8472
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you can do that with D3100. I would suggest you to take multiple shots and stitch in photoshop for better results.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 08:59   #8473
BHPian

Quote:
You don't need to do it even if it can. There are many software available which can do a much better job than the camera itself. I use AutoStitch for same, their demo version is free and does a very good job.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 09:27   #8474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go through this site. It explains a lot and that too in simple language.

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

If you want to go real deep especially into Photography as an art then this is the site.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com

Last edited by download2live : 20th September 2011 at 09:28.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 10:04   #8475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Thanks Aroy....will check before buying for sure.
Any help guys....thanks..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks