Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 22:32   #2566
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks Ram. Will check out the laboratory suppliers store. Relative humidity here is now more than 60%.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:24   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
Still wouldn't fit in your pocket! Thought you wanted to go with the Kit lens... The nifty fifty would not be too bad for the monies though.
Hey Nikil!
Yeah, I would go for only the kit lens with the camera. No investment in tele-lens or AF primes.

The nifty-fifty costs around 5000/- in the Grey. I would get around 5 manual lens for that money!! . I hope to find a pancake lens also in the used market.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:18   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Hey thanks Ram. Will check out the laboratory suppliers store. Relative humidity here is now more than 60%.
Yes, I know, I was there begining of this week. Its really humid but didn't feel it much as it had been raining ofter the 3 days I was there.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 21st December 2009, 17:54   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Yes, I know, I was there begining of this week. Its really humid but didn't feel it much as it had been raining ofter the 3 days I was there.
Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe
Ram
The cheapest solution would be to keep the lens locked in the office cupboard, since the humidity levels inside the office is way too less because of the a/c. (28% when I measured!)
Old 21st December 2009, 18:02   #2570
BHPian

I just got a Canon Kiss X3 (500D) with kit lens plus 55 - 250 IS lens from Japan 2 days back. The immediate difference from the 1000D that I can notice is the MUCH brighter and larger LCD and the bigger size and weight. Movie mode is a plus too.

I have a small problem: The videos that I took play smoothly and properly on the LCD but does not play at all or plays only the sound and the first frame on the computer.

I copied (from windows browser) all the photos and videos and pasted it on the local disk yesterday night. Is there some other way that I should have transferred it? Please advice.

Last edited by Proxima : 21st December 2009 at 18:18.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:30   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I just got a Canon Kiss X3 (500D) with kit lens plus 55 - 250 IS lens from Japan 2 days back. The immediate difference from the 1000D that I can notice is the MUCH brighter and larger LCD and the bigger size and weight. Movie mode is a plus too.

I have a small problem: The videos that I took play smoothly and properly on the LCD but does not play at all or plays only the sound and the first frame on the computer.

I copied (from windows browser) all the photos and videos and pasted it on the local disk yesterday night. Is there some other way that I should have transferred it? Please advice.
This post should have been in the DSLR video thread. Have re posted them here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1644708
Old 21st December 2009, 20:21   #2572
BHPian

Hey Proxima,

Congratulations on your new kit. I have a question for you and also for DSLR guru's in the forum.

I am on my way to procure my first DSLR (I have already used a film SLR though) and vacillating between the following options:

1. entry level: i.e Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000- cost wise I think I feel these wouldbe worthy but I am afraid that I might outgrow them in next 1- 2 years, I would like to have the DSLR body with me for the next 5 years

2. If i decide to go for the group of next few in Canon and Nikon, I end up with Nikon D5000 or D60 (which I feel could be phased out) and Canon 500D

Did these models factor in your decision making process? what promoted you to buy the 500 D

3. Last but not the least, I can stretch to D90 (selling off an arm & a leg literally)

which of these would you feel would be the optimal solution. Also, for lens considerations, I feel that if I go for anything over point 1, I would not go for an OEM Kit lens but for a third party lens. is that a good idea? The collections that I want to build along the potential usage is expected to be as follows:

1. Wide angle (30%)
2. Telephoto (40%)
3. Potrait (10%)
4. Macro (10%)

Please do let me know of your thoughts and comments. I would sincerely appreciate it.

Cheers!
Fatboyslim
Old 21st December 2009, 22:25   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got a Canon Kiss X3 (500D) with kit lens plus 55 - 250 IS lens from Japan 2 days back.

Congrats. How much did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hey Proxima,

I am on my way to procure my first DSLR (I have already used a film SLR though) and vacillating between the following options:

Please do let me know of your thoughts and comments. I would sincerely appreciate it.

Cheers!
Fatboyslim
I would suggest that you get a D5000 and nice lens. Or maybe 1000D or 3000D. Go step by step.
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:12   #2574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Proxima,

Congratulations on your new kit. I have a question for you and also for DSLR guru's in the forum.

1. entry level: i.e Canon 1000D or Nikon D3000- cost wise I think I feel these wouldbe worthy but I am afraid that I might outgrow them in next 1- 2 years, I would like to have the DSLR body with me for the next 5 years

2. If i decide to go for the group of next few in Canon and Nikon, I end up with Nikon D5000 or D60 (which I feel could be phased out) and Canon 500D

Did these models factor in your decision making process? what promoted you to buy the 500 D

3. Last but not the least, I can stretch to D90 (selling off an arm & a leg literally)

which of these would you feel would be the optimal solution. Also, for lens considerations, I feel that if I go for anything over point 1, I would not go for an OEM Kit lens but for a third party lens. is that a good idea? The collections that I want to build along the potential usage is expected to be as follows:

1. Wide angle (30%)
2. Telephoto (40%)
3. Potrait (10%)
4. Macro (10%)

Cheers!
Fatboyslim
i feel if you are on tight budget, compromise on the body rather than compromising on the glass. Get the 500D or the D5000. I am using the 500D with the kit lens (18-55 IS) and though the lens is not tack sharp..its sharp enough. For the telephoto end, get the 55-250 IS or you can invest later on some L grade glass . The 500D with the two lenses would be around 51k if you are ready to opt for vendor warranty only. But the d90 body alone would cost around 45K with vendor warranty.

To confuse you further for 58k, you'll get the d90 with 18-105 VR lens.

Then again the d90 is a better camera..you get what you pay for!
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:49   #2575
BHPian

Quote:

1. Wide angle (30%)
2. Telephoto (40%)
3. Potrait (10%)
4. Macro (10%)

Cheers!
Fatboyslim
1. Canon 1000D and Nikon3000 are quite good cameras despite being bottom line. If you are shooting regularly then you will definitely outgrow these otherwise not even in 5yrs. Even if you outgrow in 2yrs, you can sell these and add some money to get a better body like D90(or upgrade).

2. No point getting D5000, either stay with D3000 or go for D90. D5000 is lacking so much that, its literally not worth it.

3. D90 is good if you have the money. But D90 is opposite of Canon xxD series (50D and no 500D). So think over it from that perspective.

For lenses. I suggest you get Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Macro as a general walkaround lens. Its a very sharp lens and will give u 25.5-75mm working range which is quite good and the benefit of f2.8 and macro (1:4.5, 1cm wide object willbe 4.5cm wide on the sensor) on the side. As a second lens get the 55-200mm f4-5.6 VR in Nikon or Canon equivalent.

Like said before always spend more on the lens. Bodies come and go but lenses stay forever.

Cheers
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:16   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Equivalent to Nikon F90X

Hello All,

As an oldman, I have been sticking to my good old Nikon F90X. As an ocassional hobbyist, I am really happy with the results I was getting with the Nikon AF lenses I am having.

Now with a daughter in graduate programme in a Design School and her "demand" for access to a "decent" DSLR, I thought I will set aside my purist views and look for a DSLR

What would you consider to be an equivalent to that in the Digital Range of Nikons (hopefully some of the lenses I have would be usable with both)

What would be a comparable one in Canon

Would like to know your thoughts.

Best Regards

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd December 2009 at 11:22.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:04   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

What would you consider to be an equivalent to that in the Digital Range of Nikons (hopefully some of the lenses I have would be usable with both)

What would be a comparable one in Canon

Would like to know your thoughts.

Best Regards

Ram
Nikon D90 atleast, it has an in body AF motor and you can use your collection of AF lenses with it.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:10   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats. How much did it cost?
I got the 500D plus kitlens and tele lens for 70000 Yen. That's about 36k. With bill and warranty from amazon.co.jp.

Quote:
Hey Proxima,

I no guru but the best camera that you can get for the money in India seems to be the Nikon D3000.
  1. The LCD in the 1000D makes the photos look very dull but it looks much much much better on the computer.
  2. D3000 also comes with a VR kit lens, 1000D does not.
  3. D3000 is newer than the 1000D and thus better technology and resale.
D3000 is a bit more than the 1000D but I think it is well worth that. PLEASE do not go for a higher spec camera. Spend the difference in lenses, that's what you will need.

For all those who asked,

I got it from amazon.co.jp. Was about 1000 rs more but I gladly paid the extra because:

1. They offer COD and I didnt want to pay 40k through my CC for exchange conversion issues as well as security concerns.
2. They offer to ship to a chain of convenience stores called Lawson. Lawson stores are open 24x7. So it is very convenient, you pick it up whenever youre free. There are thousands of Lawson stores in Japan, it's the major retail chain.

Was delivered to Lawson in 2 days flat. Picking up is also very easy, you go to the store counter, print a slip from a machine, pay the cashier through cash/CC and take that slip to collect a very well packed, brand new camera from the counter. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for anyone in Japan.

HINT: use Google Translator if you don't understand Japanese. Though you choose "In English", some pages are still shown in Japanese.

Any more questions - shoot.

Last edited by Proxima : 22nd December 2009 at 12:23.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:13   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]D3000 also comes with a VR kit lens, 1000D does not.
IIRC, the kit lens is EF-S 18-55 mm IS USM, IS = Image Stabilization, Canon's equivalent of VR...
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:27   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
IIRC, the kit lens is EF-S 18-55 mm IS USM, IS = Image Stabilization, Canon's equivalent of VR...
Canon's IS = Nikon's VR. But the 1000D comes with the non-IS lens unlike the D3000 which is a big issue especially for shakey-handed newbies like me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks