Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 16:52   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Get Catzeye Split Prism Focusing screen if you want manual focusing.

Cheers
I've been wanting to ask this since i saw focusing screens How do these focusing screens work? I have seen a similar accessory sold by Canon for the xxD range. Matt screen, super fine matt screen etc. How does this help in manual focusing, and will they affect auto focussing in an adverse manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Alternatively, did any one get to feel the E420 and E520 in their hand? Though the thickness is less for the E420, from the pics on the net, I feel the overall thickness is same for both the E420 and E520. (The dimensions given in any website are taken with out consideration of the protruding part - the viewfinder housing. This is important for putting the camera in the jacket/coat pocket)

EDIT: How is the view-finder in the XSi for manual focusing?
Oly E520 even though smaller than equivalent canon the website reviews mentions it to be a fine handler. If you're considering Oly go for the E620 series.

If carrying the SLR discretely is a requirement you can look towards Oly Pen EP-1 or other micro 4/3 cameras. Eventhough smaller than other DSLRs the E520+14-42 kit lens is not that small enough to be put into a jacket pocket comfortably.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th December 2009 at 17:09.
Old 18th December 2009, 17:06   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I've been wanting to ask this since i saw focusing screens How do these focusing screens work? I have seen a similar accessory sold by Canon for the xxD range. Matt screen, super fine matt screen etc. How does this help in manual focusing, and will they affect auto focussing in an adverse manner?
Split prism focusing screen gives a Clean view and lets one use MF like on a Range-finder, but only in the center. In laymen terms, when out of focus, lines will be broken, as soon as focus is acquired, lines will be be straight. Its hard to explain but once its used there is no issue. You can see following image is out of focus and lines are broken in the middle.

I am not sure about Auto Focusing but Split Prism screen affects the light meter.

Personally i have not felt the need for a Split Prism Screen so far, but might give it a try once D700 replacement is here.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-2059774866_05ee5881a8_b.jpg  

Old 18th December 2009, 19:09   #2553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
I have this kit, can someone recommend a good raw editing/processing software without blowing a hole through the pocket?
I use Capture one pro 4.8..got it for free. If you know what i mean

you can give it a try if you don't prefer the nikon/canon RAW editors.
Old 19th December 2009, 08:56   #2554
Senior - BHPian

Canon XT drop test

Possible world record - FM Forums
Old 19th December 2009, 11:33   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... If you're considering Oly go for the E620 series.
hmmm! Interesting, but I read that the E-620's view finder is even smaller. Also olys have bad reputation of low light focusing and also in noise in ISOs greater than 400! BTW, does this new one has separate auto-focus beam? or this also uses the flash??

Quote:
If carrying the SLR discretely is a requirement you can look towards Oly Pen EP-1 or other micro 4/3 cameras.
The micro 4/3rds are out of the budget!!

My requirements:
Smaller the better in terms of size, Shooting in low light conditions(ISO 400 and greater), In low light conditions I will(have to) depend on the auto-focus, so the camera should be good at auto-focusing. Types of photography: street, landscape and candid. Also I this camera I am buying not just clicking pics and also for photography, I prefer using the manual lenses!
Old 19th December 2009, 11:37   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
XSi is 450D aka Kiss X2 digital!

Where did you see this deal?? My sister will be getting the DSLR from USA!
Oh! I missed the video recording point!! Looking at the past few posts, I think video recording capabilities in DSLR are excellent!! Video recording is an excellent feature if it can come with in the budget!

BTW, what is the size of D5000?? Is it bigger than the 450D?

Budget around $550.

Anything on the manual focusing side with the 450D? Is the viewfinder friendly enough?
D5000 is bigger just by a bit. I'm not sure but I suppose it was at Costco (need to be a member). Don't think that offer still exists though.

450D seems to be the best option in that budget. Go for the 500D "if" you are upping your budget.

Manual Focusing works fine. Viewfinder is good enough.

Quote:

If carrying the SLR discretely is a requirement you can look towards Oly Pen EP-1 or other micro 4/3 cameras. Eventhough smaller than other DSLRs the E520+14-42 kit lens is not that small enough to be put into a jacket pocket comfortably.
Any micro 4/3 would be way out of his budget. Even a really compact camera with APSc would be way too expensive for now.
Old 19th December 2009, 11:55   #2557
Senior - BHPian

@Sankar: Extreme torque dropped his 40D from less than knee height .. and his cam is under repair since almost 8-9 months!!!!!
Old 19th December 2009, 12:34   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm! Interesting, but I read that the E-620's view finder is even smaller. Also olys have bad reputation of low light focusing and also in noise in ISOs greater than 400! BTW, does this new one has separate auto-focus beam? or this also uses the flash??

The micro 4/3rds are out of the budget!!

My requirements:
Smaller the better in terms of size, Shooting in low light conditions(ISO 400 and greater), In low light conditions I will(have to) depend on the auto-focus, so the camera should be good at auto-focusing. Types of photography: street, landscape and candid. Also I this camera I am buying not just clicking pics and also for photography, I prefer using the manual lenses!
I considered the Oly series when i was looking for a dslr. Since the sensor is smaller low light performance of the 4/3 series is lower than APS-C size competition. Newer Olys have better low light performance than older models but still it it less compared to bigger sensored rivals.

Have you gone through the review of the E620? It would definitely help http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Sankar: Extreme torque dropped his 40D from less than knee height .. and his cam is under repair since almost 8-9 months!!!!!
Of course one cannot expect the camera to survive a drop, the skydiver must've been extremely extremely lucky. Also his free falling gear didn't kill anyone on the ground.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th December 2009 at 12:36.
Old 19th December 2009, 17:01   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I considered the Oly series when i was looking for a dslr. Since the sensor is smaller low light performance of the 4/3 series is lower than APS-C size competition. Newer Olys have better low light performance than older models but still it it less compared to bigger sensored rivals.

Have you gone through the review of the E620? It would definitely help Olympus E-620 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Thanks for the link Shankar, somehow I missed this review!!!

Found my answer regarding the dedicated AF assist lamp and slow auto-focus in low light.
Quote:
Like other E-Series models the E-620 doesn't have a dedicated AF assist lamp and instead strobes the flash unit to illuminate the subject, obviously this requires you to have the flash raised in the first place (and is hardly subtle).
Quote:
In everyday use, the E-620 is fast enough that you don't notice it taking time to do anything. This changes when the light levels drop and autofocus slows down (the camera won't shoot until it's achieved focus unless you turn the Release Priority on - then you'll get lots of quick, out of focus pictures). The only real delays you'll ever notice are if you use the Pin Hole Art Filter, which takes some 10 seconds to process
E-620 costs around $650. And in USA for XSi, there are some ridiculously low price deals!!

I think i should finalize the 450D. May be a pancake lens would make the package small!! I would prefer lens with around f2.0 yeah! I have to settle for manual lens.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 19th December 2009 at 17:03.
Old 19th December 2009, 19:16   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Split prism focusing screen gives a Clean view and lets one use MF like on a Range-finder, but only in the center. In laymen terms, when out of focus, lines will be broken, as soon as focus is acquired, lines will be be straight. Its hard to explain but once its used there is no issue. You can see following image is out of focus and lines are broken in the middle.
Thanks I sure do learn something new about SLRs everyday!

Quote:
I think i should finalize the 450D. May be a pancake lens would make the package small!! I would prefer lens with around f2.0 yeah! I have to settle for manual lens.
If manual focusing is a big deal for you then consider Nikon D3000/60/40. You can buy old manual focus lens for the Nikon F mount, might come cheaper too.

Why do you need a pancake lens? And of what focal length?
Old 19th December 2009, 19:43   #2561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need it to make the camera suitable to take to evening get-togethers or hanging out with friends. Also for street photography. I would prefer 35mm or 50mm focal length. If nothing is available I have to go for the 50mm prime!! But if I can lay my hands on a suitable adapter may be I can use the pentax pancake lenses!!
Old 19th December 2009, 19:46   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Pancake lenses were designed for photojournalists. Primes are superior to pancakes but pancakes settle on lower IQ but faster AF and portability.

Cheers
Old 19th December 2009, 22:38   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Still wouldn't fit in your pocket! Thought you wanted to go with the Kit lens... The nifty fifty would not be too bad for the monies though.
Old 20th December 2009, 11:13   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It must have fallen to some loose mud - a softer landing than dropping it to hard floor from knee height.

Once I dropped my P&S from some height during a rock climbing session in the Alps, and it fell down about 20 meters hitting the rocks here and there. Luckily it was in its soft pouch, so I got it back in working condition with some minor cracks. Was not in a position to go down and take it, the folks who were behind us climbing took it and gave it to me when we reached some place where we could sit and take a break.

This pic was taken after it fell down, that's my worried face looking down anxiously.

The DSLR Thread-rock.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 20th December 2009 at 11:22.
Old 20th December 2009, 12:18   #2565
Senior - BHPian

[quote=clevermax;1631641 I am actually thinking about buying a food grade plastic box which is really air tight, and to keep the lenses in that with some moderate amount of dry silica gel sacks.[/quote]

Clevermax,

You can try and get a dry box in Trivandrum (made of wood). Try any one of the Laboratory Supply companise there (Eg: the Laboratary Supplies Swamy, near SMV School, MG Road). They had boxes for storing things like microscopes and other sensitive lens equipped lab equipments. Some come with some sort of padding even.

If ever you have any one travelling to Bangkok, dry boxes can be picked up there for really cheap price For equal of about INR 1000-2000 you can get a box with about 1.5 cuf (Cubic foot) storage (with flexible padding as well). Tell them to try at the ground floor of Pantip Plaza in Pratunam area or the MBK Centre.

I hope you get more practice on the claening proces, so if ever I have a problem, I know whom to call.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 20th December 2009 at 12:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks