Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 11:37   #2536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
You can get the Nikon D90 with the NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR kit lens for around 1100 USD from reliable sites like adorama.com. It fits your budget perfectly and is probably the best Nikon Dslr in that price range.
I have this kit, can someone recommend a good raw editing/processing software without blowing a hole through the pocket?
Old 18th December 2009, 12:04   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Canon XSi or Olympus E420

Hi guys,
I am getting a DSLR as gift from my sister. She asked me whether Canon XSi would be fine or I have any other preference. Personally I like the form factor of the E420.

Can anyone point out what I will be losing in comparison to XSi and how much do they matter.

As for the lens, in either case I will go with the Kit lens only!

Alternatively, did any one get to feel the E420 and E520 in their hand? Though the thickness is less for the E420, from the pics on the net, I feel the overall thickness is same for both the E420 and E520. (The dimensions given in any website are taken with out consideration of the protruding part - the viewfinder housing. This is important for putting the camera in the jacket/coat pocket)

EDIT: How is the view-finder in the XSi for manual focusing?

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 18th December 2009 at 12:16.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:22   #2538
Senior - BHPian

I want to get a DSLR and have the D5000 in mind for now. Since it will be my first DSLR and since I am an amateur, how good would be if I get a D70S ( 27 k shutter clicks) , AF-S DX 18-70mm plus AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ?

I have a very good deal for this package and hence.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:27   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
(27 k shutter clicks)
Are you sure about this figure jk?
Old 18th December 2009, 12:40   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Thats what I was told. I can go cross check. I was quoted 18k for the whole stuff.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:48   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How can you validate this figure? I know the file numbers gets incremented with each click, but my camera gives me an option to reset this.

Is there any secret administrative menu in these cameras to find the exact number of shutter actuations?
Old 18th December 2009, 13:01   #2542
BHPian

XSi would be the 450D, right?

I've recently taken about 2k pics using the E420 (kit lens 14-42). For $400 it sure is worth the monies.

I doubt if you could fit it in your jacket pocket even with the 25mm pancake lens. But it is pretty small compared to most SLRs. Without the lens it would be almost as much as the G11. It might be possible to carry it in your pocket without the lens, would you want to do that though?

Image quality of the 450d would definitely be better compared to the E420.
For 500 you get the Nikon D3000, infact, was surprised to even sight a D5000 for 500.

The Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D have video recording too.

Limited budget, get the E420. Ok to stretch a bit, get the Canon/Nikon.
Guess the 500D kit is for around 700/- (This would be my first choice if 700's ok)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hi guys,
I am getting a DSLR as gift from my sister. She asked me whether Canon XSi would be fine or I have any other preference. Personally I like the form factor of the E420.

Can anyone point out what I will be losing in comparison to XSi and how much do they matter.

As for the lens, in either case I will go with the Kit lens only!

Alternatively, did any one get to feel the E420 and E520 in their hand? Though the thickness is less for the E420, from the pics on the net, I feel the overall thickness is same for both the E420 and E520. (The dimensions given in any website are taken with out consideration of the protruding part - the viewfinder housing. This is important for putting the camera in the jacket/coat pocket)

EDIT: How is the view-finder in the XSi for manual focusing?
Old 18th December 2009, 13:16   #2543
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
I want to get a DSLR and have the D5000 in mind for now. Since it will be my first DSLR and since I am an amateur, how good would be if I get a D70S ( 27 k shutter clicks) , AF-S DX 18-70mm plus AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G ?

I have a very good deal for this package and hence.
I suggest check both lenses also for any marks/scratches. Also check whether these lenses focus correctly.

File numbering is the standard way of checking the clicks, but it can be reset, so you will have to take seller's wword for this.

But given the price, it seems good deal, and if camera and lenses are in good conditions, you can go for this.

Regards,

JLS
Old 18th December 2009, 14:12   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for the links Navin, but which of these are available in India? I know Jayesh in Bangalore sells camera bags but not sure which brands and whether he'll have the model I want.
You can try this as well: Inter Foto India Pvt. Ltd.
http://www.shetalacamera.com/

Last edited by anshurao : 18th December 2009 at 14:26.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:35   #2545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
How can you validate this figure? I know the file numbers gets incremented with each click, but my camera gives me an option to reset this.

Is there any secret administrative menu in these cameras to find the exact number of shutter actuations?
Nikon D70s shutter count is available in the EXIF data. File numbers can be reset shutter count cannot be by the end user.

Nikon claimed the shutter life as tested to 100000 cycles when they launched the D90. No idea reg the D70s.

For Canon there is an utility to check the shutter count, i couldn't find the values in the EXIF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
But given the price, it seems good deal, and if camera and lenses are in good conditions, you can go for this.

Regards,

JLS
My thoughts exactly.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th December 2009 at 14:37.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:52   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
XSi would be the 450D, right?

I've recently taken about 2k pics using the E420 (kit lens 14-42). For $400 it sure is worth the monies.
XSi is 450D aka Kiss X2 digital!

Quote:
I doubt if you could fit it in your jacket pocket even with the 25mm pancake lens. But it is pretty small compared to most SLRs. Without the lens it would be almost as much as the G11. It might be possible to carry it in your pocket without the lens, would you want to do that though?
Yes, thats what I was think about.
Quote:
For 500 you get the Nikon D3000, infact, was surprised to even sight a D5000 for 500.

The Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D have video recording too.
Where did you see this deal?? My sister will be getting the DSLR from USA!
Oh! I missed the video recording point!! Looking at the past few posts, I think video recording capabilities in DSLR are excellent!! Video recording is an excellent feature if it can come with in the budget!

BTW, what is the size of D5000?? Is it bigger than the 450D?
Quote:
Limited budget, get the E420. Ok to stretch a bit, get the Canon/Nikon.
Guess the 500D kit is for around 700/- (This would be my first choice if 700's ok)
Budget around $550.

Anything on the manual focusing side with the 450D? Is the viewfinder friendly enough?
Old 18th December 2009, 15:03   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for the links Navin, but which of these are available in India? I know Jayesh in Bangalore sells camera bags but not sure which brands and whether he'll have the model I want.
Jaguar, you can check with Jayesh on the model you're looking for. I bought a Kata DR-467 from him in September. Wanted the newer DR-467i but that wasn't available as yet.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:46   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
I have this kit, can someone recommend a good raw editing/processing software without blowing a hole through the pocket?
Adobe Lightroom is one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

File numbers can be rest but shutter life cannot be reset. Use Exil tools, usually they give exact number of actuations from the RAW files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Anything on the manual focusing side with the 450D? Is the viewfinder friendly enough?
Get Catzeye Split Prism Focusing screen if you want manual focusing.

Cheers
Old 18th December 2009, 16:08   #2549
BHPian

Average shutter life

Quote:
Thats what I was told. I can go cross check. I was quoted 18k for the whole stuff.
Had come across this link long back somewhere, interesting database on Average Shutter Clicks, might as well check while deciding to buy used equipment:

nikon d70s | Camera Shutter Life Database
Old 18th December 2009, 16:33   #2550
BHPian

Something for Canon guys to drool over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks