Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 22:41   #1036
Senior - BHPian

@MC Mayank , EDIT : Just read you are getting from US off A , congrats , whats the offical price if you had got it here in INDIA ? hows much is the difference ?
You would have compared it with canon 50D , hows D90 compared to this one ?

Last edited by black12rr : 18th May 2009 at 22:52.
Old 18th May 2009, 22:45   #1037
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Now all you need is the 80-400 (I know it AFs a bit slow but otherwise it is a perfect fit). Also get a nicer UVF than Tiffen. Hoya I hear is better. B&W better still.
Thanks Navin.

Yes the 80-400 seems to be really worthwhile saving up for!

Any idea about the cheaper 80-400 Tokina?

Still haven't got the filter-will definitely upgrade to the Hoya/B&H.
Old 18th May 2009, 23:06   #1038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Funny observation after moving to DSLR i have shot all of 5 pics with flash out of couple 100 shots lol If the lighting is decent i dont find the need of a flash at all.
That's very normal if you are not shooting in auto mode. I probably use flash for 1% of my shots.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:25   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Another solution to this is using studio lights. They are infact much cheaper and brighter than flash lights. Today only I was checking out Prophoto lights, the model I found very interesting was 300 D. It's a 250 watt strobe/studio light and it costs just 6000 in comparison to 18k for a Canon 470EX. Very seriously thinking of getting one of those. Do check them out.
What one needs to consider with studio strobes apart from portability is that one needs a light meter. A good one will add a significant amount over and above what the lights cost.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:56   #1040
BHPian

I resumed photography and am looking for a dslr to grow up from p&s.
I droped my earlier preference for d80 as suddenly all grey markets are quoting quite high prices for it. So , shifting my preference towards canon
I have two options:
a)1000d ,18-55 kit with 2+1 year warranty (obviously with bill) @ 28.5K
b) 450d 18-55 IS kit @32K (grey market).

Am inclined towards 1000d for the sake of lower price with genuine warranty.
Only thing pulling me back is slower 1.5 fps of raw shooting.
How significant a limitation would that be in real world?
Also, the retailer says the package of 1000d is not with IS lens.
But canon india website has a line mentioning IS lens is added in kit.
Doesn't canon 1000d in India come with IS kit lens from the beginning?
To start with I would be using 18-55 lens with 50mm prime. Wouldn't need a longer zoom soon.
I don't know whether 18-55 lens would demand IS at telephoto end.
Should I look out for a kit with 18-55 IS or shall I happily grab this offer for non-IS package?
Would greatly appreciate any feedback on above
(also specifically from who had considered 1000d during their purchase )
Old 19th May 2009, 18:24   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Should I look out for a kit with 18-55 IS or shall I happily grab this offer for non-IS package?
Not essential. Longer the focal length, more the need for IS.
How do you get 2+1 year warranty for EOS? Canon offers only 2 years as far as I know.
Old 19th May 2009, 18:27   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Not essential. Longer the focal length, more the need for IS.
How do you get 2+1 year warranty for EOS? Canon offers only 2 years as far as I know.
That +1 year is retailers extended warranty.These days all malls are offering some warranty from their end. I wonder how effective they are in practice. Anyway , warranty in question is included in the price. So , am not bothering about it now.
Old 19th May 2009, 19:27   #1043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
What one needs to consider with studio strobes apart from portability is that one needs a light meter.
Actually you can do without a light meter in this digital era. It's a small trial and error trip to start with. I've stopped using my light meter years ago.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:38   #1044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Also, the retailer says the package of 1000d is not with IS lens.
But canon india website has a line mentioning IS lens is added in kit.
Doesn't canon 1000d in India come with IS kit lens from the beginning?
To start with I would be using 18-55 lens with 50mm prime. Wouldn't need a longer zoom soon.
Would greatly appreciate any feedback on above
(also specifically from who had considered 1000d during their purchase )
I was after 1000D but i was under the impression that it came with IS lens by default, moved to 450D since somebody close got me a good deal.

Yes IS does make a difference at max zoom and low light shoots.

EDIT: Just took some random shots inside the room now (max zoom, and even under min zoom in low light), IS make a HUGE difference

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2009 at 22:40.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:36   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Actually you can do without a light meter in this digital era. It's a small trial and error trip to start with. I've stopped using my light meter years ago.
Rudra Sir, Would that be measuring light by pointing at various parts of your subject and checking for shutter speed chosen (when shooting in Aperture Priority)? I think KVS Shetty sir was talking about this in his workshop for HDRs. See the shutter speed at the lightest spot and the darkest spot and if the difference is more than 8 stops, go for HDR.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:45   #1046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Any idea about the cheaper 80-400 Tokina?
I have a frind who use Nikon and almost always Tokina ATX-Pro zoom lenses (except for Nikon primes and the 200-400 VR zoom). However I dont know anyone who uses the 80-400. However this friend is quite happy with the 16-50 and 50-135 ATX-Pro zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's very normal if you are not shooting in auto mode. I probably use flash for 1% of my shots.
I shoot indoors a lot so flash is a pre-requisite for me
Old 20th May 2009, 12:09   #1047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Rudra Sir, Would that be measuring light by pointing at various parts of your subject and checking for shutter speed chosen (when shooting in Aperture Priority)? I think KVS Shetty sir was talking about this in his workshop for HDRs. See the shutter speed at the lightest spot and the darkest spot and if the difference is more than 8 stops, go for HDR.
When you're shooting with studio flash there's no question of using aperture priority or shutter priority. Simply because studio flash is not dedicated to any camera.

At any any given point in time your flash firing will be once, (with 1/60+ and whatever f number you decide) unless you fire flash multiple time for your desired exposure. For a single flash with your given aperture you'll see the result on your rear screen or on your comp. Check that out and correct as you need by changing aperture.

Is this clear?
Old 20th May 2009, 12:10   #1048
Senior - BHPian

A friend got 500 D from Canon..
How good is it ?
Old 20th May 2009, 12:20   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
When you're shooting with studio flash there's no question of using aperture priority or shutter priority. Simply because studio flash is not dedicated to any camera.

At any any given point in time your flash firing will be once, (with 1/60+ and whatever f number you decide) unless you fire flash multiple time for your desired exposure. For a single flash with your given aperture you'll see the result on your rear screen or on your comp. Check that out and correct as you need by changing aperture.

Is this clear?
Thank you. It sure did. . I forgot about shooting with lights in a studio and got carried away to the outdoors. Makes perfect sense now, Thank you once again.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:40   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I posted on the wrong thread few days back (digital camera thread), repeating the same here. Please help.

I want to upgrade from my Canon IXY 800 IS (point & shoot) to an entry-level/ mid-range DSLR with a budget of 40k - 55k. This price would have been a great range considering the US prices, if required I can ask my co-brother to get it for me (he flys twice a month to one of the US cities). But, the US warranty is not going to help me by any means, therefore considering the grey market here to save some bucks. I am breaking my head since last 5 days in choosing one before I check the grey prices here. Short listed ones (grey prices are yet to be checked and compared):

1. Canon EOS 500 D (15.1 MP), 18-55mm IS kit, Full HD, High ISO-12800, Digic4, dealer price here Rs.52995, US$899/- (reviewed to be matching the Nikon D90), not yet available with the bangalore dealer, expected only by 22nd May)

2. Nikon D 5000 (12.3 MP), 18-55mm VR kit, dealer price Rs.55950, US$850/- (majority of the reviews rate this lower to the Canon EOS 500D)

3. Nikon D60 (10.2 MP), body only Rs.32450 (US$550), with AF-S DX 18-105 ED VR kit (not the standard kit) Rs.55900-

Its a very tough job to finalise a product, specially when we are throwing out a bigger amount. This will be my first DSLR. My purpose will be mainly family, indoors, outdoors, travels, bit of nature and animals etc. as a hobby. I am sure the grey market pricing will be competent to the US prices quoted above in brackets. Since both US & grey are void of warranty, I rather pick up from local than taking the trouble of bringing it from abroad (infact no patience to wait anymore).

Gurus, friends, die-hard freelancers, fellow brothern, please throw your ideas. My heart says Canon EOS 500 D, I hope it will be available around since its a the latest launch in the above list (march 2009).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks