Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 21:33   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

And Rudra's question is very pertinent. No electronics manufacturer will make 2 products of the same model number in 2 different countries. Makes no sense.
Sam, I have seen bhphotovideo quoting different prices for the same lens. Usually a higher price for the one made in US and a lesser price for the imported one. However, have not come across similar dual pricing for camera.

regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 13th May 2009 at 21:35.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:18   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And Rudra's question is very pertinent. No electronics manufacturer will make 2 products of the same model number in 2 different countries. Makes no sense.
The idea of manufacturing any product from these countries is very simple. It’s a ready factory for them to get their products out without additional investment. Quality control is there, obviously. All the Macintosh computers we use in this country (very few, I admit) are made in Singapore. Who complains about their quality? My old G4 desktop is running fine without any issue (I think) in another city and it’s almost 9 years old.

At the same time camera makers are pretty smart to decide what should be produced where. For example, my 5 years old camera battery doesn’t say more than what it is. Ni-MH pack NP-E3 and made in Japan. Go figure and try to duplicate it.

Why? Because battery for my camera cannot be fake or low in quality. It’s meant to be in thick of action and deliver. Canon, as a company cannot take that chance. It’s too costly for them. Same goes for other makers.
Quote:
My iPod and iMac are Made in China. Fantastic quality.
So is my iPhone. Running almost three years now without any glitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I don't care about country of origin anymore.
Perfect!

Another point. All along this thread those who’re cribbing about their kit lens. I have questions:

What’s the issue with kit lens?

What you’re not getting because it’s a kit lens?

How often you go for a big blow up print?

Have you ever taken any print from your kit lens?
If yes, what size?

If you feel the quality is bad then what made you think it because of the lens and there’s no fault of yours?

We can talk about camera models and keep comparing till the cows come home. Digital cameras these days are not meant for posting small images via net. They’re beyond that.

Explore, please.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th May 2009 at 08:38.
Old 13th May 2009, 23:04   #1008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Another point. All along this thread those who’re cribbing about their kit lens. I have questions:

If you feel the quality is bad then what made you think it because of the lens and there’s no fault of yours?

We can talk about camera models and keep comparing till the cows come home. Digital cameras these days are not meant for posting small images via net. They’re beyond that.

Explore, please.
Old man is stating facts here, same shot taken by him & me with the same camera, will be worlds apart, before processing. I think its more to do with he "picturising" the shot inside his head before the actual shot more than the equipment.

Slowly am learning the trick and thanks to some time constraint, even got an opportunity to shoot my office premise and present for a corporate presentation, which was well received . All this with kit lens 18/55. Got the confidence from watching old man do his magic with these lens.

On the other hand Canon 450D i bought in BLR without B&W but a packed piece is Made in Japan, so are the kit lens and battery. Only the charger is made in china.
Old 13th May 2009, 23:11   #1009
BHPian

Quote:

How often you go for a big blow up print?

Have you ever taken any print from your kit lens?
If yes, what size?

Explore, please.

I agree with Rudra sir here. Haven't got loads of experience printing (and would definitely explore), but then I got pretty decent results with a kit lens to be posted on the internet. The problem with most of us and kit lens is we "fall" for the reviews online that usually highlight the disadvantages of a kit lens. We also need to understand, what the application of this kit lens meant to the reviewer and his /her style of photography as opposed to our needs.
Old 14th May 2009, 02:31   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My old G4 desktop is running fine without any issue (I think) in another city and it’s almost 9 years old.
Working fine and top class Sir!
Quote:

I can sense irritation in the master, lol.
I am not looking for a kit lens replacement. I simply was looking for more millimetres and faster lens.

Quote:
Digital cameras these days are not meant for posting small images via net. They’re beyond that.
I agree with you Rudra, but one must also allow for the correct colour tonality of better equipment. That said, a monkey with a EOS 1 will still make awful photos.

But I see your point. It can be summed up as "Shut up and Shoot!" lol

I kiss you goodnight.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 14th May 2009 at 02:33.
Old 14th May 2009, 07:13   #1011
TOR
BHPian

Well from my side the purchase has been made.

Nikon D60(Black-gold edition) with the Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens.

Damage with Bill and warranty = 628$

The reason for going for the Black and Gold edition was because the color kind of matches the standard color on all Nikkor lenses(Gold)-i know the same might sound cheesy to the purist, but guess as a beginner i am entitled to some amount of 'cheesyness'!

The reason for choosing the Kit lens from the D90 rather than the kit lens from the D60(the 18-55mm VR) was because i dont intend to buy a separate lens in the near future and also because the extended range offered by the 18-105 lens makes it kinda suitable for most senarios than the 18-55.

Another reson was that the seller was giving the same for about 20$ more than the D60 standard kit(though that also had a carry bag and 4GB card-both i already have).

Added a Tiffen 67mm filter to the above.

Now waiting for the same to come down(on June 7th)!

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 14th May 2009, 08:57   #1012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I agree with you Rudra, but one must also allow for the correct colour tonality of better equipment.
Unless you are really hitting up the limits of resolution while blowing up the prints to really big sizes, you won't really notice much difference.
Image quality of kit lenses is pretty good. Not in L range, but still pretty good.
All you need to do is use them in the sweet spot.
Old 14th May 2009, 09:11   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Well from my side the purchase has been made.

Nikon D60(Black-gold edition) with the Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens.

Damage with Bill and warranty = 628$

The reason for going for the Black and Gold edition was because the color kind of matches the standard color on all Nikkor lenses(Gold)-i know the same might sound cheesy to the purist, but guess as a beginner i am entitled to some amount of 'cheesyness'!

Added a Tiffen 67mm filter to the above.

Now waiting for the same to come down(on June 7th)!

Thanks for everyones help!
31,400 INR. With bill? Nice choice of lens to start with.
Where did you buy from and what were your other lens options?
Old 14th May 2009, 10:25   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Congratz on your new purchase happy shooting!
Old 14th May 2009, 12:06   #1015
BHPian

Ok, I started something that went on a roll for a day. No offence meant to anyone who has equipments made in any other country, but what I quoted before was "most manufacturers make their pro-grade equipments in Japan only". This comes partly from the fact that they have already for huge investments in Japan for quite some time and that was before the arrival of China and Thailand and other places as better place to produce. Every company maintains a strict quality control and they make sure that are being followed worldwide. But it's a general perception that Japanese and German folks the best quality engineering stuff and I was just relating to that age-old handed down feelings. Also, lately Chinese goods have had some quality issues, not related to a particular segment but not upto the best benchmarks, so I take it very cautiously, with a bag of salt.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings. Pardon me if I have hurt anyone's feelings.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:45   #1016
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
31,400 INR. With bill? Nice choice of lens to start with.
Where did you buy from and what were your other lens options?
The purchase has been done by my BIL in the US. The shop is in New York.Though a lot about the kit lens on the D60, two things that stood out was the relatively limited range(18-55) and the rotating front element(polarizing filters will go for a toss).

Also as most of the entry level lens(AF-S/AF-I) series comes with a plastic mount, i did not want to carry two lenses and change them often.Had a look at the 18-200 Nikkor and then the half prized Sigma 18-200, but was not comfortable with the Sigma lens(my friend own both the 18-55 kit and the Sigma).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz on your new purchase happy shooting!
Thanks for all the help.
Shooting will have to wait till next month when the shooters arrive!
Old 15th May 2009, 23:01   #1017
BHPian

I'm thinking of getting the Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 (SDSDX3-008G, Static Pack) for the D90.

Would anyone know any better cards out there?
Old 15th May 2009, 23:20   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
I'm thinking of getting the Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 (SDSDX3-008G, Static Pack) for the D90.

I am using Transcend 266X CF cards its full UDMA enabled and very very fast. To keep up with the speed of the burst mode of a 50D you can go clicking about 8-9 shots in a go and then just release the shutter button for a slight moment and go back shooting again. I guess with the D90 on a similar card you'll be very happy. Specially the Extreme III. They are fantastic cards. Though I've got no experience with the SDHC cards, have used only CF till date. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 15th May 2009, 23:32   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post

Yea baby
The DSLR Thread-sd16gb60709_large.jpg
Cheaper and I know it's a reliable brand.

Also I know transcend makes a 32GB class 6 card.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th May 2009 at 23:36.
Old 15th May 2009, 23:46   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Its class 4, so recoding videos may be difficult. It will also lead to slower burst speed. I would suggest get atleast a class 6

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks