Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 14:00   #1051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My heart says Canon EOS 500 D, I hope it will be available around since its a the latest launch in the above list (march 2009).
If your heart says so and pocket also okays it , then please go with that decision. Else mind may start exploring other ways.
500D is the latest and is a comprehensive package. A good choice to begin with.

If you could source it through someone coming from US, you will get an even better deal. Problem is sometimes we can't even wait that long and end up spending a little more to buy from local stores, like I do always.
Old 20th May 2009, 18:26   #1052
BHPian

I had enquired with multiple retailers about 1000D kit.
Everyone(including Pixetra) confirmed that 1000D is available with non-IS kit lens only.So sad.I am now thinking of sourcing the kit when someone comes from abroad. It might work out much cheaper ,albeit without warranty.
Old 20th May 2009, 18:56   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Everyone(including Pixetra) confirmed that 1000D is available with non-IS kit lens only.So sad.I am now thinking of sourcing the kit when someone comes from abroad. It might work out much cheaper ,albeit without warranty.
Just curious, do you really need that IS for 55mm on the tele end? Would you be doing a lot of indoor shooting? I feel a better option would be to go for kit lens without IS (costs 2k in the market approx.) and invest the rest in getting the 50 mm f1.8.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:16   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone(including Pixetra) confirmed that 1000D is available with non-IS kit lens only
Here in US, Canon Rebel XS (1000D) is available with IS kit lens.
I think the non IS 18-55 lens is discontinued by Canon. If I am not mistaken, Canon website also shows 1000D package to be with IS lens.

Amazon is selling Canon 1000D + 18-55 IS kit for $548
See here

PS. By my personal experience, 450D is much nicer and better to hold than 1000D. I feel the way you feel the camera when u hold it in your hand is more important than the features it has. Almost all the cameras have reasonably decent feature set. Unless you are pro photographer, you wont be using half of the available features for most of the time.

One more golden rule that I have concluded :
It takes reasonable money to buy a DSLR and lenses which will have IQ of 8/10 (10 being the best), but to go from 8/10 to 9/10 you will have to spend a small part of your fortune. Even then, more than 90% of the people seeing the photo, wont be able to tell the difference between a 8/10 and 9/10 photo.

Another question,

Does anyone have any experience about the IQ of Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 OS HSM lens? Its available for $300 odd, and I am planning to add it as a travel lens. Any experiences? There are a couple of reviews for it, but no dpreview.

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 20th May 2009 at 19:28.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:52   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Actually you can do without a light meter in this digital era. It's a small trial and error trip to start with. I've stopped using my light meter years ago.
Yes, I guess that's true. The last I used a light meter with studio lights was in the film era. However, isn't it difficult to be spot on with exposure using the trial and error method by checking the dinky screen of the camera? Then again, to answer my own question, that may not be a problem if the camera is tethered to a computer with a big screen. Digital has changed things so much.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:06   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
However, isn't it difficult to be spot on with exposure using the trial and error method by checking the dinky screen of the camera?
The 3-channel histograms can be pretty useful for this. I use some old manual strober using a wireless trigger with my D300. Once you figure your way around the flash guide numbers, it becomes a breeze (the dial on the 285HV is very useful). The histograms help ensure you dont end up with blown highlights etc. That said, nothing beats a ttl flash for events and things that move.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:28   #1057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
That said, nothing beats a ttl flash for events and things that move.
TTL flash is for different situation. They do their work properly within their limit. So does studio flash. It's meant for STUDIO use I suppose. All have their pros and cons.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:50   #1058
BHPian

Hi,apologies for crash landing into the discussion.I have recently purchased a Canon SX10 (I know its a DSLR thread).I request the Pro's and semi-pro's here to suggest me a website from where I can take my photography from amatuer to a higher level.I have been using my SX10 on auto mode since I purchased it,but want to exploit its full potential.Suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:54   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Just curious, do you really need that IS for 55mm on the tele end? Would you be doing a lot of indoor shooting? I feel a better option would be to go for kit lens without IS (costs 2k in the market approx.) and invest the rest in getting the 50 mm f1.8.
It not just about IS but EF-S 18-55 II lens has inferior I.Q. than EF-S 18-55 II IS. I pesonally didn't check , but many articles on web confirm the improved I.Q with IS version.
So, as a learner,if am going to use 18-55 and 50mm prime for most of the time, shouldn't I start with a better I.Q lens . Atleast I can concentrate on indentifying my mistakes rather than worrying about lens I.Q. issues.

My repeated enquiries confirmed that Canon India has indeed included only non-IS version of kit lens for 1000D.Probably they felt its an easiest way to clear out all old lens.

Quote:
PS. By my personal experience, 450D is much nicer and better to hold than 1000D. I feel the way you feel the camera when u hold it in your hand is more important than the features it has.
Yes I quite agree with that. But grip of 450D is not much better either.
If not for the rubberised cover,it would have been even worse.
So, its like 1000d or 40d for me. And 40d is far from what I can afford now.
As a matter of fact, entry level nikons have superb handling and usability. But they come with many features shredded.

Last edited by deetee : 21st May 2009 at 17:56.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:07   #1060
Senior - BHPian

D60 with 18-55 VR lens

I got the following things today;

D60 black body
AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR lens
4 GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 card
LCD protector
Lowepro EX140 camera bag

All for 29700, no B&W. I calculated the best US price for the same and found I got a lower overall package. I cross-checked the price atleast at 5 different places (including Mumbai and Pune) with different combinations of bags, cards, lenses and could not find a better deal. Lowepro EX140 bag is very sturdy and well cushioned inside, it can take an extra battery, a super zoom lense, a compact camera, extra SD cards and few more small things other than the D60 with 18-55 fixed. So, it meets all my present and future requirements (I have 55-200 or 70-300 lense in mind for later addition). Now my DSLR learning process starts here ! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, tips and posts in the last 30 odd pages which I covered in 2 days!
The DSLR Thread-1.jpg
Old 21st May 2009, 18:17   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shaju , Where is shop located in blore ? . Damn , DSLR prices have dropped so much . With warranty how much would you have paid extra?
Old 21st May 2009, 18:18   #1062
BHPian

Pentax K7 is out. Some really innovative features out there. Weather sealed kit lenses available at really good prices too.!

Pentax K-7 digital SLR announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review

A video is also posted with the features explained.

All in all, a super package.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:18   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I got the following things today;

D60 black body
AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR lens
4 GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 card
LCD protector
Lowepro EX140 camera bag

All for 29700, no B&W. Attachment 138436
Congrats on the purchase.Happy shooting.
IMHO,I can't dare enough to spend so much without B&W.Great that you went ahead and got yourself a treat.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:28   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Where is shop located in blore ? . Damn , DSLR prices have dropped so much . With warranty how much would you have paid extra?
Sukh Sagar Mall, Majestic. The lowest quote I got with warranty was 33-34 range with a cheap looking nikon bag. Remember the bag which I picked up is Lowepro that alone is Rs.1500 after bargain. Warranty quotes include a nikon bag which values to be just 300 bucks. So, if you remove the bag and LCD protector from my list, its just 28000 which is an amazing deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I can't dare enough to spend so much without B&W.Great that you went ahead and got yourself a treat.
Do you worry about warranty when you get something from US to India ? I thought about it in that line. My seller gave me a verbal warranty of 1 year though, means if something goes wrong he will not avoid me
Old 21st May 2009, 20:14   #1065
Team-BHP Support

Its an excellent deal, congratz! I think i should learn a trick or two from you on bargaining

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks