Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 12:57   #2386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Any particular reason why you want to go with 70-300 and not the Canon 55-250IS? IMO, the IS really helps at higher magnification. And the IQ is pretty much the same in both. Yes, it's 50mm lesser but its not that big a loss.
True, Canon 55-250 is a beautiful lens. Have tried it before i bought sigma. I dint find lot of difference, but when it comes to higher magnification then yes IS works better. Its difficult to capture a rally or any race event with 70-300 unless you have a steady hands or a tripod.

And more over its the photographer who makes the difference and not just the lens. (how many would agree on this ???).
As i really admire IT inspectors knowledge and experience on photography, im sure he can take a better picture with a P&S than a newbie like me with a SLR.

BTW, any idea how much 55-250 IS costs in india?
Old 1st December 2009, 13:16   #2387
BHPian

absynthguzzler,
Oops my bad, I thought he was looking for a canon lens. I prefer OEM than third party lenses unless the price difference is substantial between the two and the IQ is doesn't vary much and I am no professional, so a compromise is ok at times for me because I know most gear today is much more advanced and capable of things than my skills. Also, the other good option would be looking at some nice used lenses. I am not sure how comfortable people are buying used lens, but they are worth it. As far as I have seen, they are maintained very well and come for a decent price. One such lens is being sold here, jjmehta's Photography Forum - FS: Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED and Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 D ED a nikon tele-photo for 10k!

Livyodream,
All of us here agree with the statement you made about the person behind the lens, but I would also like the gear (within the acceptable budget set by the buyer) that helps us "increase" our chance of getting a good shot . That's the only reason why I wouldn't (yes, I have not yet bought a tele-photo as I put my money in a macro lens :() buy the 70-300, as it does not have IS.

EDIT: Canon 55-250IS goes for about 12k in India.

Last edited by HellwratH : 1st December 2009 at 13:17. Reason: Added price info.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:16   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Comgrats on your purchase. BTW, how did you determine that it was brand new and not refurbished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
At last, my 500D+18-55 arrived yesterday. It was a deal-of-the week from eBay,
Apparently its imported (smuggled?) from Hongkong and hence the low price of 36K.
Checked if it is refurbished - its brand new.
Sukhpal, I've been buying my camera stuff from CC since '83 and had no issues till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hey all

I was just wondering if anyone of the bhpians have experience of purchasing stuff from Chandini chownk. Tripods, lenses, flash etc.

Thanks
m2s
Old 1st December 2009, 13:33   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
And more over its the photographer who makes the difference and not just the lens. (how many would agree on this ???).
20% equipment + 40% light + 40% photographer = Picture

Quote:
As i really admire IT inspectors knowledge and experience on photography, im sure he can take a better picture with a P&S than a newbie like me with a SLR.
PnS confuses me and usually i end throwing them away, too hard to use compared to D3/D3X. D3/D3X is a bless to use.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2009, 13:38   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Livyodream,
All of us here agree with the statement you made about the person behind the lens, but I would also like the gear (within the acceptable budget set by the buyer) that helps us "increase" our chance of getting a good shot . That's the only reason why I wouldn't (yes, I have not yet bought a tele-photo as I put my money in a macro lens :() buy the 70-300, as it does not have IS.

Now i wonder what the photographers used to do before IS was invented.
Its basically necessity and budget. For me even 50mm increase in FL makes a lot of difference and not IS, same way for you IS makes the difference not 50 mm increase (comparing with 250 mm to 300 mm).
Buying the lens of same config will cost a bomb in canon hence the alternative.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:52   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Its basically necessity and budget. For me even 50mm increase in FL makes a lot of difference and not IS, same way for you IS makes the difference not 50 mm increase (comparing with 250 mm to 300 mm).
Buying the lens of same config will cost a bomb in canon hence the alternative.
They used something called as a tripod, which sure is relevant even now . Buying the aleternative in Canon also gives you awesome IQ as well as IS. As the old saying goes (esp in photography), you get what you pay for.

Yes, for me, IS matters more than FL as I can compensate for FL without having to carry around extra weight (read as tripod). I do not deny the fact that IS rules out tripod altogether, but yes, carrying one is not feasible many a times and I'd love to have IS to compensate for a couple of stops atleast.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:50   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Its been said before and i will say it again.

Its all about the posture and a quick tripod can be whipped out with a piece string and a set of nut-bolt

Cheers
Old 1st December 2009, 14:58   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Gurus, how is this lens:
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR

It does not have have VC, is it a big concern ? Its very much in my pocket, and gives me some zoom I am missing.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:59   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Gurus, how is this lens:
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR

It does not have have VC, is it a big concern ? Its very much in my pocket, and gives me some zoom I am missing.
As a starter IS will benefit you specially above 100mm.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2009, 15:02   #2395
BHPian

Experts - Is it safe to say that one shouldn't buy a telephoto without VR/IS/VC etc if one plans to shoot hand-held?
Old 1st December 2009, 15:14   #2396
BHPian

For all whos in a dilema about IS/ non - IS, go to the camera accessory shop, try the lens and then buy. That will be best way to get convinced.

For bangaloreans try RK photo studio, they are courteous enough to let you try the lenses.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:38   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
For all whos in a dilema about IS/ non - IS, go to the camera accessory shop, try the lens and then buy. That will be best way to get convinced.

For bangaloreans try RK photo studio, they are courteous enough to let you try the lenses.
I'd second that. And also while testing, please use Tv on your camera, set a shutter speed of about 1/15s and try the lenses to see whether you'd be ok with or without IS. Please note that 1/15s is the standard I use as I get a lot of not so sharp photos at that shutter speed.
Old 1st December 2009, 15:55   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Livyodream, thanks for your response to my queries. Now, i am almost ( 99.9%) decided on these lens since a review coming from a user means more than what you can read about it elsewhere. I am not into sports photography so slower focusing ain't such a big negative and i do know the adage "What you pay is what you get"

Guys, appreciate if someone can point the current best price of Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro so can negotiate accordingly with high quoters from Hyderabad.

P.S: I came to know that Sigma has also come up with same lens 70-30mm APO with OS as well but that costs a bomb, around 25K, i think.
@mobike- The Sigma 70-300mm APO specs looks good only on paper. I know a guy using that lens over his Nikon D200 and the results are pathetic. I have not seen good sharpness at any FL-aperture combo.
The lens is very cheap in the US (bw 100$ to 200$). All you'll get a piece of glass which can zoom. At tele-end the sharpness is all gone.

Which body do u have. Go for the proprietory lenses if possible (Nikkor or Canon etc.). Or u may end up packing the Sigma lens after some time.

You may need to decide first how much tele you need. If its not more than 100mm then Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro will be a very good choice(I have this lens).

Lenses are there with multi zooms but many a times we dont use the entire range. For an e.g. in a range of 18-55mm lens I use only 18mm. Otherwise I take out my 50mm prime. Seldom I use a range between 18-55mm.

If your plan is to go for bird shots then its recommended to forget the Sigma lens at the first place. Save up more for later purchase.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:19   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
@mobike- The Sigma 70-300mm APO specs looks good only on paper. I know a guy using that lens over his Nikon D200 and the results are pathetic. I have not seen good sharpness at any FL-aperture combo.
The lens is very cheap in the US (bw 100$ to 200$). All you'll get a piece of glass which can zoom. At tele-end the sharpness is all gone.
Disagree. reason mentioned in the previous posts.

As we are talking about someone elses review, I know a good friend/colleague of mine who used the same lens and has got amazing pictures (looks to me). check out his flickr album to get the idea about the results:

Flickr: Sri ..... !!'s Photostream

All the pictures are taken from so called CHEAP lens and experienced photographer.

I still dont get the human mentality when it comes to the word " CHEAP". Expensive lens doesnt make a better photographer. one needs to graduate to that level (not by buying the lens)..

Peace.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:26   #2400
BHPian

Quote:

One tiny problem, how will you actually test it out. Since in a confined room a tiny movement at the front element of lens will only be a tiny movement on the wall/tv/etc, While in real life tiny 1mm movement on the front element might be 10-100 times at the subject level.

See tiny issue testing lenses in the store. Only thing one can test in the store is Aperture working/front-back focus issues/focusing and lens condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

Which body do u have. Go for the proprietory lenses if possible (Nikkor or Canon etc.). Or u may end up packing the Sigma lens after some time.
I respectfully disagree. Using a D200 with a consumer grade lens is pure stupidity. Secondly since Sigma has quality issues with FRONT-BACK focusing issues and if your friend is using a D200, he should know better. Even if he decides to use a consumer grade lens, he should be able to adjust the lens focusing in the camera menu.

Its like buying a Nikon D3X and using Nikon 50mm f1.8 on it and that too with Auto Focus, its simply going to not work out.

Nikkor/Nikon alternative costs almost 2-3 times Sigma alternative. For a budget user its a clear choice.

Quote:
All the pictures are taken from so called CHEAP lens and experienced photographer.

I still dont get the human mentality when it comes to the word " CHEAP". Expensive lens doesnt make a better photographer. one needs to graduate to that level (not by buying the lens)..

Peace.
Most important word EXPERIENCED PHOTOGRAPHER. And definately expensive glass doesn't make a good photographer.

Cheers

Last edited by it_inspector : 1st December 2009 at 16:36. Reason: Added some more info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks