Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 08:18   #10036
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Not as simple to put it but D700>D90, and It can either be D300s>D700>D90 or D700>D90>D300s ( I am using D300s instead of D300 because D300s is the current model and D300 is not made anymore, same story with D90).
Thanks Raj. I think you meant to say D7000 here, right? Because, I was not considering D700 at least now.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:45   #10037

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Thanks Raj. I think you meant to say D7000 here, right? Because, I was not considering D700 at least now.
Yes, I meant D7000.

But then again D700 is not bad at all and with D800/E released, it's never been better time to buy D700.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:26   #10038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I meant D7000.

But then again D700 is not bad at all and with D800/E released, it's never been better time to buy D700.
Thanks Raj. I didn't consider D700 just because it is very expensive. If the price difference between D7000 and D700 is very minimal, then I would go for D700. I think D700 has got the full frame sensors, right? What's your take on this, Raj?
Old 10th July 2012, 13:32   #10039
BHPian

Here is a video to show off Pentax weather sealing. This time dust+water.

Gives you confidence to shoot in rain and dusty conditions.
If some one is looking for a new upper entry level camera and not worried too much about 'authorised' support, they should take a serious look of Pentax K30. This is also weather sealed like K-5. Get a 18-135 WR lens and go to your monsoon vacation
Old 10th July 2012, 13:48   #10040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Gives you confidence to shoot in rain and dusty conditions.
If some one is looking for a new upper entry level camera and not worried too much about 'authorised' support, they should take a serious look of Pentax K30. This is also weather sealed like K-5. Get a 18-135 WR lens and go to your monsoon vacation
Nice try, but it ain't Canon or Nikon. So it doesn't count. Let's get back to discussing Canon and Nikon.
Old 10th July 2012, 13:58   #10041
BHPian

Quote:
Not as simple to put it but D700>D90, and It can either be D300s>D700>D90 or D700>D90>D300s
Perhaps I didn't make myself clearer.

If I am a beginer, or my skill set is not that advanced, I would prefer D90, or D7000 if my budget permits. D300s does not make sense at this stage. As you also confirmed, the D300s can also be daunting for a beginner. Of course, one could also consider d3100 or d5100.

If I feel I am at a more advanced stage and feel that I reqire/need the extra features that a D300s provides, I would still not purchase the same because I feel that the days of D300s are now numbered and a replacement is due.

Btw, I owned a D70s, from which I upgraded to D90 about 3 years back. At that time there were strong indications of replacement or upgrade of the D90 by a newer model (aka D7000). However, there were also rumours that the newer model would not support non-motorised lenses, so I went ahead and bought the D90 since I owned a legacy of such lenses. In retrospect, I should have waited since the d7000 not only does support non AFS lenses, but also supports metering on AI lenses (again, I own a few good AI prime lenses). Currently I am looking for an upgrade, but would prefer to wait for the D300s replacement. Don't want to commit the same mistake.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:41   #10042
BHPian

I'm in the same fix of Canon vs Nikon. Upgrading from a point-n-shoot to explore more depth of photography but still not gone too loose on budget. Every friends ends up conversation with 'Its an expensive hobby'. :-). I shortlisted between Canon 550d (34k) vs Nikon 5100( 39k) but almost going ahead with Canon as after adding another 5-6k I can get a 50mm f/1.8 lens that costs 6.5k for Canon, but around 13k for Nikon as one has to go for motorized lens. Will be glued to this thread for learning more. :-)
Old 10th July 2012, 16:35   #10043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
I'm in the same fix of Canon vs Nikon. Upgrading from a point-n-shoot to explore more depth of photography but still not gone too loose on budget. Every friends ends up conversation with 'Its an expensive hobby'. :-). I shortlisted between Canon 550d (34k) vs Nikon 5100( 39k) but almost going ahead with Canon as after adding another 5-6k I can get a 50mm f/1.8 lens that costs 6.5k for Canon, but around 13k for Nikon as one has to go for motorized lens. Will be glued to this thread for learning more. :-)
550D for 34k? My friend is ordering the 550D + 18-55 for 30.5K. I recommended 550D for him as he was in the same Canon Vs Nikon 'fix'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice try, but it ain't Canon or Nikon. So it doesn't count. Let's get back to discussing Canon and Nikon.
Exactly!
Pentax...? Is that a DSLR?
I want the best entry level DSLR but I will only buy Canon or Nikon - get off from this, people!

By the way...

Is anyone using Sigma 75-300 f/4 - f/5.6 DL lens? Any feedback on image quality & usability?
The DSLR Thread-342_1.jpg

One Alpha mount Sigma 75-300 is lying in my operation table and surgery for fungus removal will be done this week.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th July 2012 at 16:56.
Old 10th July 2012, 16:41   #10044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
550D for 34k? My friend is ordering the 550D + 18-55 for 30.5K.
oops..Thanks for pointing it. Can you tell me from where your friend is ordering? This is the price on Flipkart. This includes a tripod, Camera bag and 4Gb card.I also inquired at a local store in Bangalore and he also quoted the same i.e. 33945/-. Though this local dealer added that he'll match the price and add other accessories like U/V filter, lens cleaning kit etc.
Old 10th July 2012, 16:56   #10045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Exactly!
Pentax...? Is that a DSLR?
I want the best entry level DSLR but I will only buy Canon or Nikon - get off from this, people!
In Japan, camera markets are flooded with Pentax, Leica, Fuji, lumix and Olympus.
Nikon and Canon do exist but the options ain't much in comparison.

Although, here buying Nikon and Canon would be a safer option.
Old 10th July 2012, 17:49   #10046

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Thanks Raj. I didn't consider D700 just because it is very expensive. If the price difference between D7000 and D700 is very minimal, then I would go for D700. I think D700 has got the full frame sensors, right? What's your take on this, Raj?
Yes D700 is FF. D700 is quite a bit expensive over D7000 but its well worth every single penny. There is D600 rumored which is supposed to be a cheap FF body with cut down AF system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Perhaps I didn't make myself clearer.

If I am a beginer, or my skill set is not that advanced, I would prefer D90, or D7000 if my budget permits. D300s does not make sense at this stage. As you also confirmed, the D300s can also be daunting for a beginner. Of course, one could also consider d3100 or d5100.

If I feel I am at a more advanced stage and feel that I reqire/need the extra features that a D300s provides, I would still not purchase the same because I feel that the days of D300s are now numbered and a replacement is due.

Btw, I owned a D70s, from which I upgraded to D90 about 3 years back. At that time there were strong indications of replacement or upgrade of the D90 by a newer model (aka D7000). However, there were also rumours that the newer model would not support non-motorised lenses, so I went ahead and bought the D90 since I owned a legacy of such lenses. In retrospect, I should have waited since the d7000 not only does support non AFS lenses, but also supports metering on AI lenses (again, I own a few good AI prime lenses). Currently I am looking for an upgrade, but would prefer to wait for the D300s replacement. Don't want to commit the same mistake.
D300s is supposed to be replaced soon, its not just features but also the handling and the usage in general. To be honest since your an advanced user, only natural step is to go FF, especially considering you have FF lenses, and all that beautiful glass is not being used to full potential on DX. D700 are coming down in price as D800/E supply is trickling down, also rumor mill is in full swing for D600 as a cheap FF alternatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
In Japan, camera markets are flooded with Pentax, Leica, Fuji, lumix and Olympus.
Nikon and Canon do exist but the options ain't much in comparison.

Although, here buying Nikon and Canon would be a safer option.
Pentax is great, DA and LTD lenses are just nuts, almost as sharp as Leica but at fraction of the cost. But Pentax management itself is sooooo stupid. 99% complete MF camera and one hell of APS lineup but nothing in between, despite being in the best position to launch FF they completely forgot about it, and to top it off, the country with most population and Pentax forgot about it completely, despite having a dominant market from film days. Yes I am a pentax LOVER-HATER.
Old 10th July 2012, 18:22   #10047
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for posting this in DSLR forum, but people looking for entry level DSLRs may want to consider some of the polular long zooms available in the market. I would name two - Sony HS100 and Panasonic Fz 150.
After careful consideration I chose Panasonic Fz 150 ( mainly for its DSLR like speed of operation), but I would not have gone much wrong with Sony HS100 also.

In most of the conditions these camaras will provide comparable results to DSLRs and in addition flexibility of long zoom and convinience of a smaller camera. There is significant improvement in high ISO shooting even with tiny sensor and may get few keeprs even in low light.

Yes, DSLR have significant advantage with cleaner pictures and faster speed, but if you just want longer zoom range, cleaner pictures and more control over your pocket point and shoot camera, these long zooms provide quite a good workable option.

For the record, I have Canon 350D, with 17-85 IS, 70-200 F4 L, and 50 1.8, but after I bought Pana Fz 150 2 months back, I have never taken DSLR out of the bag.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JLS
Old 10th July 2012, 18:37   #10048
BHPian

Quote:

Yes Nitinnr30, This is a expensive hobby for sure, but, if you are passionate then it might not sound expensive. I use a T2i (550D canon) and the results are awesome.

Selecting between Nikon and Canon is really a tough job

Nikon
----------
Better picture results
Expensive lenses
Well known name

Canon
------------
Equally same quality picture
Little inexpensive lenses
Well known name
Good service

If you are passionate and like to extend your skills in Macro and Wildlife Canon would be a good choice

You may compare a 100MM Macro lens cost in both Nikon and Canon
or a 100 ~ 400 lens on both with VR / IS

If you like to have only the landscape and people photography, You can find what fits your bill, for the above purpose even Sony offers a very good pictures (i also own a DSCH2)

All the best for your Buy
Old 10th July 2012, 19:11   #10049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Sorry for posting this in DSLR forum, but people looking for entry level DSLRs may want to consider some of the polular long zooms available in the market. I would name two - Sony HS100 and Panasonic Fz 150.
After careful consideration I chose Panasonic Fz 150 ( mainly for its DSLR like speed of operation), but I would not have gone much wrong with Sony HS100 also.

In most of the conditions these camaras will provide comparable results to DSLRs and in addition flexibility of long zoom and convinience of a smaller camera. There is significant improvement in high ISO shooting even with tiny sensor and may get few keeprs even in low light.

Yes, DSLR have significant advantage with cleaner pictures and faster speed, but if you just want longer zoom range, cleaner pictures and more control over your pocket point and shoot camera, these long zooms provide quite a good workable option.

JLS
Thanks JLS. I thought about it but wasn't too sure if my requirements might just be limited to cleaner picture etc. The thought about SLR being extensible in "future" is what bent my minds towards it. Probably, I'm behaving like our typical s/w customers who want the s/w design to be flexible enough to allow alot of requirements that are unclear hitherto. . I'll surely mull over this and see if these long zoom cameras will meet my need for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Yes Nitinnr30, This is a expensive hobby for sure, but, if you are passionate then it might not sound expensive. I use a T2i (550D canon) and the results are awesome.
Trying to pick a new hobby with more heart than mind into it, hopefully will get more passionate as I learn more and start enjoying more of it.

Quote:

If you are passionate and like to extend your skills in Macro and Wildlife Canon would be a good choice

You may compare a 100MM Macro lens cost in both Nikon and Canon
or a 100 ~ 400 lens on both with VR / IS

If you like to have only the landscape and people photography, You can find what fits your bill, for the above purpose even Sony offers a very good pictures (i also own a DSCH2)

All the best for your Buy
Thanks trtraj. We (including wifey) start our hands with people(specially the new angel in our family) and landscape( bitten by travel bug) to start with and then extend it to Macro p'gphy later. So far Canon seem more suitable to our requirement. I would have gone for a lower end body but alot of ppl are advising otherwise. I don't see myself getting in the camera market for next 3-4 yrs at least, except for lenses and hence going for relatively better body.
[/quote]

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th July 2012 at 19:50.
Old 10th July 2012, 19:52   #10050
BHPian

Great !! All the best, Carry your gear all the way and post the travelogues in our forum..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks