Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 09:47   #9916
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Hi, Just a quick question. I'd like to offer my D7000 & a couple of DX lenses for sale to fellow T-Bhpians as I've graduated to FX (D700). I wanted to know if this thread was the right place or is it only the classifieds where I'd need to post? Not sure how many of us check the classifieds for things non-automotive.
Old 13th June 2012, 09:48   #9917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It is dpreview itself. It suggests that the kit lenses that come with those cameras are having this distortion very much visible at the sides.
I can't imagine all lenses would have the same defect.

I have taken samples from Sony A77, Nikon D3s (no kit lens) and Canon EOS 1D Mk III (no kit lens). I could see the same pattern.

Could it be an optical illusion? You know the kinds our eyes perceive when we see concentric black and white patterns. Reason is, those lines extend from the corner of one square to the neighboring one almost as if they were precisely drawn using a ruler. Another thing I noticed is that more smudged/distorted or out of focus the image, more pronounced the lines become.

Your thoughts welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decced View Post
Hi, Just a quick question. I'd like to offer my D7000 & a couple of DX lenses for sale to fellow T-Bhpians as I've graduated to FX (D700). I wanted to know if this thread was the right place or is it only the classifieds where I'd need to post? Not sure how many of us check the classifieds for things non-automotive.
You need to post this in the Classifieds section.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-optical-defect.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-optical-defect-2.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th June 2012 at 09:54. Reason: added response to decced
Old 13th June 2012, 10:31   #9918
Team-BHP Support

Its official : Canon 650D (Was announced on June 8)
Goes on sale 15 June at 850$

Contains dual AF and Digic 5

Canon EOS 650D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canon announces EOS 650D, the first touchscreen dSLR - Cameras - CNET - CNET Asia
Old 13th June 2012, 10:36   #9919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I have taken samples from Sony A77, Nikon D3s (no kit lens) and Canon EOS 1D Mk III (no kit lens). I could see the same pattern.
Could it be an optical illusion? You know the kinds our eyes perceive when we see concentric black and white patterns. Reason is, those lines extend from the corner of one square to the neighboring one almost as if they were precisely drawn using a ruler.
I am absolutely certain that those lines are no optical illusion and that is how the camera reproduced that corner of the test image. That part of the image from 3200 is way less sharper as well, compared to others (Again at the corner). This is present in both RAW and JPEG and it is caused by some kind of optical distortion for sure. It could be barrel, since barrel distortion pattern at the corners is similar.

Even in the images you posted, the sample from D3200 is kind of blurred compared to others. We are not talking about high ISO noise here.

To make it more evident, let's clean the noise up. A world of difference here!
The DSLR Thread-distortion.jpg
I used A65 because it also has the 24MP sensor.

Sorry for more pixel peeping.. This paranoia creeps in every time I upload an image in Alamy, and it remains until the images pass their QC They check for CA, distortions, lack of sharpness at 100% etc.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2012 at 10:53.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:08   #9920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even in the images you posted, the sample from D3200 is kind of blurred compared to others. We are not talking about high ISO noise here.

To make it more evident, let's clean the noise up. A world of difference here! I used A65 because it also has the 24MP sensor.
Yes, that's what I too was mentioning that the 'lines' seem more pronounced when the image is smudged/blurred.

Can you also de-noise sample outputs from other cameras that I had provided i.e the D3s and 1D Mk3? The Canikon combine are using different lenses and yet we see the same pattern emerging across different bodies. May be it is barrel distortion but that could be corrected in PP, no? IMO I find those 'interconnecting' lines between the square patterns just too precise.

Quote:
Sorry for more pixel peeping.. This paranoia creeps in every time I upload an image in Alamy, and it remains until the images pass their QC They check for CA, distortions, lack of sharpness at 100% etc.
Yikes! Sorry mate, I haven't reached that level of expertise in photography and pixel peeping yet. Infact I rarely pixel peep, but getting there though. Frankly it tries my patience.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:41   #9921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I guess that your friend is talking about Jayesh (Mehta) of Photocircle. Yes, he can give you good price and many people would vouch for him. But I buy my stuff from Naresh of RK Photoguide mostly.

Jayesh is slowly increasing his prices. He just bought a store opposite to his, then he has few other stores which were opened recently.

I used to get anywhere between 22-26% off. Now its 15%. This, despite knowing him well. I recently bought a Lowepro and his price was same as that of flipkart. I need to find a better store, how good is that Naresh bloke from RK photoguide?
Old 13th June 2012, 14:17   #9922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

Jayesh is slowly increasing his prices. He just bought a store opposite to his, then he has few other stores which were opened recently.

I used to get anywhere between 22-26% off. Now its 15%. This, despite knowing him well. I recently bought a Lowepro and his price was same as that of flipkart. I need to find a better store, how good is that Naresh bloke from RK photoguide?
+1
After having bought equipment worth more than a lakh from Jayesh over 5 years I feel now his prices are higher. Its getting closer to MRP all the time.
Edit: I have bought a 50mm f1.8 frim Naresh. He absolutely does not budge from his price.

Last edited by autocrat : 13th June 2012 at 14:36.
Old 13th June 2012, 15:26   #9923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its official : Canon 650D (Was announced on June 8)
Goes on sale 15 June at 850$

Contains dual AF and Digic 5

Canon EOS 650D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canon announces EOS 650D, the first touchscreen dSLR - Cameras - CNET - CNET Asia
Good to see that they are giving some real upgrades than say, 24 Mega pixel and a touch screen.

Bit on the steep side for entry level though. Will we expect price drop for 600D and 550d(I hear 550d will be discontinued !!) I just ordered mine and waiting to get it by tomorrow or so
Old 13th June 2012, 19:13   #9924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Good to see that they are giving some real upgrades than say, 24 Mega pixel and a touch screen.

Bit on the steep side for entry level though. Will we expect price drop for 600D and 550d(I hear 550d will be discontinued !!) I just ordered mine and waiting to get it by tomorrow or so
Its not a 24mp sensor, they are supposedley using a hybrid 18mp sensor.
T4i is a mishmash of 60D and T3i. I dont think Canon would want to discontinue one of their best selling models. If Canon wants to discontinue a model, my choice would be the T3i over T2i.
Old 13th June 2012, 19:49   #9925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Its not a 24mp sensor, they are supposedley using a hybrid 18mp sensor.
T4i is a mishmash of 60D and T3i. I dont think Canon would want to discontinue one of their best selling models. If Canon wants to discontinue a model, my choice would be the T3i over T2i.
To be frank, Canon is confusing beginners with too many models. 1100D, 550D,600D and now 650D.

But because there are two new models beyond 550D, i am wondering if i should wait a bit longer to get even better deal !! a product that is two generation old might mean soon there will be some offers running

Please advice

Last edited by rajshenoy : 13th June 2012 at 20:01.
Old 13th June 2012, 20:49   #9926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

I've been buying stuff from Naresh (RK Photoguide) for a long time and probably being a returning customer I normally get a good price. But yeah, as Autocrat mentioned he doesn't like to bargain too much (and he normally doesn't quote high also), specially with new customers, it seems. He also might sound a bit rude to a new customer compared to Jayesh but to me he(Naresh) is a trustworthy person (never felt cheated till now after doing few lakhs worth of transactions). But price-wise it used to be Jayesh who used to give the better price but seems like things have changed recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
+1
After having bought equipment worth more than a lakh from Jayesh over 5 years I feel now his prices are higher. Its getting closer to MRP all the time.
Edit: I have bought a 50mm f1.8 frim Naresh. He absolutely does not budge from his price.
I've also bought few stuff from Jayesh initially, like films and stuff (he used to stock Fuji Sensia) and few cameras when Digital age started. But after that somehow I felt more comfortable dealing with Naresh at RK. I do bargain with Naresh for prices but yeah, he is a tough nut to crack when it comes to bargaining . Planning to buy few more stuff soon, lets see how it goes..
Regards,
Old 13th June 2012, 22:11   #9927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
To be frank, Canon is confusing beginners with too many models. 1100D, 550D,600D and now 650D.

But because there are two new models beyond 550D, i am wondering if i should wait a bit longer to get even better deal !! a product that is two generation old might mean soon there will be some offers running

Please advice
The main difference between 1100D and 550D range is the ISO performance (6400 vs 12800) (others can correct me) and HD Video recording (Not sure how relevant this is for still photography folks)

But lowlight performance is definitely some thing which needs to be considered.
If some one is planning on serious learning curve, at least I would say look at the 550D or equivalent Nikon/SonyOlympus etc. Very soon after using 1100D for some time one feel the need for body upgrade.
Old 13th June 2012, 22:30   #9928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power

LCD is 3" with 921K dots.

Result on LCD is very good compared to older model.

BTW what is GPS in D3200? (optional)
D3200 seems to be good bet compared to 550D. 24 MP would give extra cropping comfort.

GPS in D3200 is for geo-tagging I suppose. One can get lat-long in exif if external gps is connected to camers.

Btw, is there any SLR with wi-fi?
Old 13th June 2012, 22:34   #9929
BHPian

Does any body here have any experience with Pentax DLSR's , especially the K-5
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

Quite a few reviews say this camera performs better than Nikon D7000.

How much of presence does Pentax have in India in terms authorized service centers ?
Old 14th June 2012, 05:49   #9930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The main difference between 1100D and 550D range is the ISO performance (6400 vs 12800) (others can correct me) and HD Video recording (Not sure how relevant this is for still photography folks)

But lowlight performance is definitely some thing which needs to be considered.
If some one is planning on serious learning curve, at least I would say look at the 550D or equivalent Nikon/SonyOlympus etc. Very soon after using 1100D for some time one feel the need for body upgrade.
1100D also misses on the following important features

1. Spot metering
2. Sensor cleaning mechanism

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks