Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 20:13   #10051
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Yes Nitinnr30, This is a expensive hobby for sure, but, if you are passionate then it might not sound expensive.
The term we use is money pit. First usage was here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post818822

Quote:
Selecting between Nikon and Canon is really a tough job
The Canon vs Nikon selection became so tough when I was buying my first dSLR, I ended up buying Olympus instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Sorry for posting this in DSLR forum, but people looking for entry level DSLRs may want to consider some of the polular long zooms available in the market. I would name two - Sony HS100 and Panasonic Fz 150.
After careful consideration I chose Panasonic Fz 150 ( mainly for its DSLR like speed of operation), but I would not have gone much wrong with Sony HS100 also.

In most of the conditions these camaras will provide comparable results to DSLRs and in addition flexibility of long zoom and convinience of a smaller camera. There is significant improvement in high ISO shooting even with tiny sensor and may get few keeprs even in low light.
Ok, here is the trouble.

Name:  digitalsensorsizes.png
Views: 1009
Size:  1.5 KB

The blue rectangle (1.5 crop) is Nikon/Sony sensor.
The red rectangle (1.6 crop) is Canon sensor.
The green rectangle is Pany/Olympus (4/3) sensor.

Since the 4/3 sensor is a little smaller than Canon/Nikon/Sony sensors, the Olympus/Pany dSLRs are always considered not good enough by the average dSLR crowd. Now look at the 2/3 sensor, just look at the relative size. Most people in this thread aspire to move from 1.5 or 1.6 crop to full frame, the outermost white rectangle. Therefore, your argument to move from APS-C to 2/3 is really a lost cause.
Old 10th July 2012, 20:22   #10052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice try, but it ain't Canon or Nikon. So it doesn't count. Let's get back to discussing Canon and Nikon.
:( I hope Pentax and Olympus are serious about India market. They have the products that would attract Indian consumers. Like Pentax's coloured bodies.
If Pentax can cut a deal with IPL, I am sure they can produce cameras with each team colours
Old 10th July 2012, 20:32   #10053
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, your argument to move from APS-C to 2/3 is really a lost cause.
Samurai,
My argument is not for moving from DSLR to 2/3, but rather for having a second body at the cost of a medium priced lens!

I have seen seen comparable results for printing 8X11 size photos between Pana fz 150 and Canon DSLR.

Yes, I have seen the sensor size comparison image earlier also, also the better control of 'depth of field' with bigger sensor and much cleaner images with bigger sensors, and so on for DSLR v/s p&S. And I was also of the same opinion two month back.
While discussing a vacation trip, I pondered over taking a DSLR with 3 lenses against buying SLR like p&s. Convinience considerations made me look at options, I liked Pana fz 150, took it to the trip and my opinion changed.

Yes, still I am yearning for adding Sigma 50 mm 1.4 and Canon 85 mm 1.8 to my bag, but pana fz 150 was one practical choice for which I am happy - I consider Rs 24000 well spent.

Encouraged by my good experience I advised nitinr30 to consider SLR like P&S, thats all.

Hope I made my point clearer now.

Regards,
JLS
Old 10th July 2012, 21:09   #10054
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a chance to try out the new Canon 600 f4 IS II. What an incredible lens!!
The weight reduction and the balance is mind boggling. I am not commenting on the optics because a canon super telephoto is always stellar, more so when it costs as much as a premium hatchback.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_0844.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_0845.jpg  

Old 11th July 2012, 02:57   #10055

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Sorry for posting this in DSLR forum, but people looking for entry level DSLRs may want to consider some of the polular long zooms available in the market. I would name two - Sony HS100 and Panasonic Fz 150.
After careful consideration I chose Panasonic Fz 150 ( mainly for its DSLR like speed of operation), but I would not have gone much wrong with Sony HS100 also.

In most of the conditions these camaras will provide comparable results to DSLRs and in addition flexibility of long zoom and convinience of a smaller camera. There is significant improvement in high ISO shooting even with tiny sensor and may get few keeprs even in low light.

Yes, DSLR have significant advantage with cleaner pictures and faster speed, but if you just want longer zoom range, cleaner pictures and more control over your pocket point and shoot camera, these long zooms provide quite a good workable option.

For the record, I have Canon 350D, with 17-85 IS, 70-200 F4 L, and 50 1.8, but after I bought Pana Fz 150 2 months back, I have never taken DSLR out of the bag.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

JLS
There is comparison between a P&S and DSLR, sensor size, ISO performance, shutter lag, AF speed, battery performance, lens speed, optical viewfinder, overall IQ, handling. Yes a super zoom might be a compromise in size but rest are not matched by any superzoom, even M43 are not 100% there yet.

Add to that when it comes to upgrading, superzooms have.... well nothing, its what you got. Compare that to a DSLR and even the oldest body can still be used with current lenses.

One of the biggest mistake beginners make is by getting expensive body and cheap kit lenses, I suggest leaving kit lenses and getting older body (even if 2-3 generations behind) and getting a decent lens

Quote:
Yes Nitinnr30, This is a expensive hobby for sure, but, if you are passionate then it might not sound expensive. I use a T2i (550D canon) and the results are awesome.

Selecting between Nikon and Canon is really a tough job

Nikon
----------
Better picture results
Expensive lenses
Well known name

Canon
------------
Equally same quality picture
Little inexpensive lenses
Well known name
Good service

If you are passionate and like to extend your skills in Macro and Wildlife Canon would be a good choice

You may compare a 100MM Macro lens cost in both Nikon and Canon
or a 100 ~ 400 lens on both with VR / IS

If you like to have only the landscape and people photography, You can find what fits your bill, for the above purpose even Sony offers a very good pictures (i also own a DSCH2)

All the best for your Buy
Yes its an expensive hobby but compare it to cars or any other SERIOUS hobby and pretty much all start more becoming expensive than DSLR's

I for one consider choosing between Nikon and canon easy, simply forget the lenses and the price and just handhold the camera-lens combo, the one which feels best in your hands, go for it.

Only gripe I have with Nikon is pathetic performance from 80-400 VR, great range but pathetic IQ and AF, rather get something like sigma lens for that range.

Quote:
Attachment 954832

The blue rectangle (1.5 crop) is Nikon/Sony sensor.
The red rectangle (1.6 crop) is Canon sensor.
The green rectangle is Pany/Olympus (4/3) sensor.

Since the 4/3 sensor is a little smaller than Canon/Nikon/Sony sensors, the Olympus/Pany dSLRs are always considered not good enough by the average dSLR crowd. Now look at the 2/3 sensor, just look at the relative size. Most people in this thread aspire to move from 1.5 or 1.6 crop to full frame, the outermost white rectangle. Therefore, your argument to move from APS-C to 2/3 is really a lost cause.
^^ Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
:( I hope Pentax and Olympus are serious about India market. They have the products that would attract Indian consumers. Like Pentax's coloured bodies.
If Pentax can cut a deal with IPL, I am sure they can produce cameras with each team colours
I don't think Pentax will ever turn around, the only way Pentax is surviving is with providing value for money beginner and prosumer DSLR's. Olympus has given up on DSLR's and gone full time for M43, Om-D is nothing to sneeze about, best looking M43 out there and it can only be mathed by X100/X-Pro. Still majority of profit for both Pentax and Olympus is coming from medical imaging equipment, hende the reason Pentax got taken over by Ricoh.
Old 11th July 2012, 06:02   #10056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Pentax is great, DA and LTD lenses are just nuts, almost as sharp as Leica but at fraction of the cost. But Pentax management itself is sooooo stupid. 99% complete MF camera and one hell of APS lineup but nothing in between, despite being in the best position to launch FF they completely forgot about it, and to top it off, the country with most population and Pentax forgot about it completely, despite having a dominant market from film days. Yes I am a pentax LOVER-HATER.
So true. One of the best lens and APS lineup but they forgot the FF and India. Its better to stick with Canikon here.
Pentax Love-Hate relationship can be compared with the plight of Fiat cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Had a chance to try out the new Canon 600 f4 IS II. What an incredible lens!!
The weight reduction and the balance is mind boggling. I am not commenting on the optics because a canon super telephoto is always stellar, more so when it costs as much as a premium hatchback.
Beautiful piece of engineering.
Old 11th July 2012, 06:40   #10057

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
So true. One of the best lens and APS lineup but they forgot the FF and India. Its better to stick with Canikon here.
Pentax Love-Hate relationship can be compared with the plight of Fiat cars in India
You do know what fiat stands for... "Fix-It-Again-Tom"
Old 11th July 2012, 10:33   #10058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. How I wish Pentax had more presence here India. Still remember the time when I first did my entry level DSLR research (without being hell bent on Canikons) Pentax came on top. I almost ordered one from US, but then got drifted to A200 which came second in my list. Obviously I did not consider service support as a factor - this is not a Car we are buying right?

After few years of usage, I sold A200 without in very good condition to a good friend of mine lately. Heard that it is happily clicking pictures of Himalaya and Leh last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
You do know what fiat stands for... "Fix-It-Again-Tom"
It is 'Tony' actually.. I have two of those cars

Last edited by clevermax : 11th July 2012 at 10:52.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:48   #10059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Canon Vs Nikon

Can we let the debate/fight continue? I'm lovi'n it. We've gone over this umpteenth number of times but it still rages.

Let the games begin....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
OMG. It seems, I have triggered a Nikon vs Canon war again here in this thread .
What games? What war .. we all know Nikon is the best!

But seriously, even though I am a Nikon owner, what good is the excellent Nikon glass if it is priced beyond what I can justify spending on my hobby. The ergonomics, the way Nikon body fitted in my hands tilted my choice towards Nikon. Little did I realize that the d**m body is just a small fraction of the cost when you get into this hobby, by then it was too late. At times I envy the Canon camp for the choice of "good" lenses at affordable prices.

@rajb3125
You are right, the logical upgrade is FF body. But, since I am more inclined towards wildlife photography, the 1.5 crop factor kind of entices me as I can get away with shorter focal length telephoto lens .vs. FF body for the same reach. My 300/f4 is effectively 450/f4 on the DX body.

I know that you can shoot in DX format in the FF body. Can some owner of of D700/800 clarify whether DX format can be used with only DX lens or can it be used with FF lens also. IF latter is true, then I would plan to ugrade to a FF body instead of a DX body.

@JLS
I agree with the point you are making. I tend to carry a Canon G11 more often on my trips than the DSLR bag, unless the vacation is purely a photography oriented.

regards

Last edited by chaudhrysan : 11th July 2012 at 13:57. Reason: reply to another post
Old 11th July 2012, 17:44   #10060

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It is 'Tony' actually.. I have two of those cars
I am not sure, in Aus everyone says 'Tom', maybe aussie thing, I don`t own a fiat for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
But seriously, even though I am a Nikon owner, what good is the excellent Nikon glass if it is priced beyond what I can justify spending on my hobby. The ergonomics, the way Nikon body fitted in my hands tilted my choice towards Nikon. Little did I realize that the d**m body is just a small fraction of the cost when you get into this hobby, by then it was too late. At times I envy the Canon camp for the choice of "good" lenses at affordable prices.

@rajb3125
You are right, the logical upgrade is FF body. But, since I am more inclined towards wildlife photography, the 1.5 crop factor kind of entices me as I can get away with shorter focal length telephoto lens .vs. FF body for the same reach. My 300/f4 is effectively 450/f4 on the DX body.

I know that you can shoot in DX format in the FF body. Can some owner of of D700/800 clarify whether DX format can be used with only DX lens or can it be used with FF lens also. IF latter is true, then I would plan to ugrade to a FF body instead of a DX body.

@JLS
I agree with the point you are making. I tend to carry a Canon G11 more often on my trips than the DSLR bag, unless the vacation is purely a photography oriented.

regards
Here's the thing, We all say nikon lenses are expensive but we are forgetting one thing, Nikon is not giving us many options like Canon. Canon has 70-200 in so many flavours while nikon has 1 70-200 which is basically top of the line and intended for professionals with all the bells and whistles. If nikon had a 70-200 without IS and another version at f4, obviously it would be cheaper.

There are heaps of good lenses out there, don`t forget one can get Leica lenses converted to Nikon/Canon with MF use. Considering price is not that much more than Nikon lenses itself

Then there is the choice of older lenses.

Well if your more inclined towards wildlife, then get Nikon J1/V1 with

adapter and use 300mm f2.8, total range of 300x = mm with super fast AF and pin sharp images.

D700/D800/E/D3/D3s/D4 all can be used in Dx mode with reduced image size and Dx lenses can be used perfectly on FX bodies. And to be honest, most of the DX zooms do provide full coverage on Fx bodies. For example, 12-24mm f4 will do Full frame from ~19mm onwards, similarly 35mm f1.8G can be used on FX with a tiny bit of vignette (kinda looks good as natural vignette).
Old 11th July 2012, 19:13   #10061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a chance to try out the new Canon 600 f4 IS II. What an incredible lens!!....
I wont be surprised to see you next time with this lens hanging around the neck ! Is that the lens box next to it ? Once you get to the 600mm/800mm league, you need to have an assistant boy accompanying you all the time, same like how golfers keep boys for managing their stuff ! Btw, how good is this 600mm for wedding photography ?
Old 11th July 2012, 20:04   #10062
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeeehaaah! Oh yes! It's great to see this thread come alive again. Nikon v/s Canon...I love these slugfests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Can some owner of of D700/800 clarify whether DX format can be used with only DX lens or can it be used with FF lens also. IF latter is true, then I would plan to ugrade to a FF body instead of a DX body.
Yes you can use a DX lens on a FX body AND choose to shoot in DX mode with a FX camera and FX lens. If you have the budget go for the FX..eyes closed OR a D7000 OR wait for the rumoured D600.

My relative just went from a D90 to a D800 and he's grinning from ear to ear every single day! I've never seen him so pleased with his camera.

Quote:
Had a chance to try out the new Canon 600 f4 IS II. What an incredible lens!! The weight reduction and the balance is mind boggling. I am not commenting on the optics because a canon super telephoto is always stellar, more so when it costs as much as a premium hatchback.
This lens is sheer drool maal and will drain your wallet empty, well, at least for most of us. I have fond dreams of the Nikon equivalent. Sigh!
Old 11th July 2012, 22:44   #10063
BHPian

I am in search of Dry Box/Cabinet for storing my Nikon D5100 DSLR.

Can anyone help me to find this product VAM-4101 or some similar product.
Old 11th July 2012, 23:09   #10064
Distinguished - BHPian

DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Hey guys..have any of you ever cleaned the camera sensor yourself? Or do you prefer the Canikon A.S.C? If done DIY, what tools did you use and where did you buy them?

Frankly I am a bit concerned there's a teeny weeny spec of dust on my camera sensor. I don't really trust the Bozos at the Nikon Service Centre here in Pune, even if this is done for free as a goodwill gesture. I tried the built-in sensor cleaning function to no avail..and checked the lens' rear element. I can use the rocket blower but what happens if the dust spec doesn't vamoose?

BTW, I avoid cleaning lenses as far as possible (UV/clear filters employed) so the thought of touching the sensor makes my skin crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
I am in search of Dry Box/Cabinet for storing my Nikon D5100 DSLR.

Can anyone help me to find this product VAM-4101 or some similar product.
Try the Digi-cabi available at Kalabhai, Mumbai. http://www.kalabhai.com/products/pho...s/digicabi.htm. This is the best solution.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th July 2012 at 23:13. Reason: Added reply
Old 12th July 2012, 00:25   #10065
BHPian

Re: DSLR Sensor Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guys..have any of you ever cleaned the camera sensor yourself? Or do you prefer the Canikon A.S.C? If done DIY, what tools did you use and where did you buy them?

Frankly I am a bit concerned there's a teeny weeny spec of dust on my camera sensor. I don't really trust the Bozos at the Nikon Service Centre here in Pune, even if this is done for free as a goodwill gesture. I tried the built-in sensor cleaning function to no avail..and checked the lens' rear element. I can use the rocket blower but what happens if the dust spec doesn't vamoose?

BTW, I avoid cleaning lenses as far as possible (UV/clear filters employed) so the thought of touching the sensor makes my skin crawl.

Try the Digi-cabi available at Kalabhai, Mumbai. :: Kalabhai ::. This is the best solution.
Any info about the price for DigiCabi (Lowest capacity)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks