Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 23:11   #10186
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@gd1418: Now look what you've done. SC thought you bought a field gun, not a camera. Supreme Court orders ban on tourism in core areas of tiger reserves | NDTV.com. Looks like we just might not get to see too many of those beautiful wildlife shots from your camera any more now.
Plenty of buffer zones around. In any case, I think we should wait for clarification - there are zones where tourists are not allowed, and then again there are zones where tourists are officially allowed (falling under the core area).

For some of us who drive around in the jungles, it doesn't make much difference I guess. Lots of interesting photos to take...perhaps not so many tiger photos. If one cares about herbivores and birds, the ruling doesn't make much of a difference.
Old 24th July 2012, 23:32   #10187
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the D800, gd1418!

I had ordered a remote flash trigger for Sony Alpha from Amazon. Got the item last weekend. This is what I got - (item #2 & #3 in below picture)

The DSLR Thread-_dsc6952.jpg

I think the receiver is having a Nikon hotshoe. Can any users confirm this by looking at the hotshoe in their Nikon bodies? Or is it Canon's? My Sony flash isn't fitting into that at all.

Right now the usage is confined to a remote shutter release for the camera because of this issue. This picture is actually taken by pressing the button in the transmitter in the picture above, you can see the receiver is wired to the camera..

Last edited by clevermax : 24th July 2012 at 23:37.
Old 24th July 2012, 23:45   #10188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think the receiver is having a Nikon hotshoe. Can any users confirm this by looking at the hotshoe in their Nikon bodies? Or is it Canon's? My Sony flash isn't fitting into that at all.
That's not a Nikon hot shoe for sure. From what I have seen on the net it looks similar to a Canon hot shoe mount.
Old 25th July 2012, 00:04   #10189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's not a Nikon hot shoe for sure. From what I have seen on the net it looks similar to a Canon hot shoe mount.
Yes, it seems to be a Canon non ttl hotshoe... Have to see if there is any adapter which can enable connecting a Sony type flash into it. I use that flash in non-ttl mode and only a trigger is needed from the Receiver or camera.
Old 25th July 2012, 00:16   #10190
Senior - BHPian

Lol... If only SC stopped thinking & started clearing the backlogs, it would do a lot good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

B]SC thought[/b].
I shoot RAW + JPEG and would rather keep the SD for JPG. With a bigger capacity card might not need 'overflow' or 'backup'.

Quote:

Sandisks are most common, for 600x try the Sandisk Extreme Pro range. IF you shoot RAW + JPEG keep the RAW writes to CF which is much faster (even compared with a 90MBps SD card) and JPG to the SD card. This is unless you want to keep one card in 'overflow' or 'backup' mode.
It is too premature to jump to conclusions. Let their be more clarity on the judgement. After having roamed in various jungles over the last 6 years, it doesn't really make much difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

I think we should wait for clarification - there are zones where tourists are not allowed, and then again there are zones where tourists are officially allowed (falling under the core area).

For some of us who drive around in the jungles, it doesn't make much difference I guess. Lots of interesting photos to take...perhaps not so many tiger photos. If one cares about herbivores and birds, the ruling doesn't make much of a difference.
Thanks Sunil and the hotshoe is not a Nikon but a Canon design.

Quote:

Congrats on the D800, gd1418!

Old 25th July 2012, 00:49   #10191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The D800 - finally, finally

After a long long wait, today I got my second camera body and that too a FX. The Nikon D800. Though this hobby/profession is supposed to be a bottomless pit, as of know my photographic gear seems to be complete. My signature below lists all my rides & the photographic gear.
Congrats GD Saab, it's definitely a nice addition to your kit.

Now the next wait will be to see what SC decides on the tourism areas inside the reserves. Honestly, I'm a bit tired of these blanket rulings trend that has started off lately.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:19   #10192
BHPian

Hi, what is the post-processing tool used by experts here? I find lightroom (trial version) very good, but can it be used for water-marking and tilting to straighten the horizontal lines (forgive my amateurish words). But it is expensive at Rs 8000.

Can someone suggest the best software available (free/affordable ones)?

Cheers

Vindy
Old 25th July 2012, 02:58   #10193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You guys can never get over that part. The gap between 1.6x and 2x crop factor is too much to bridge.
Hey I am over it, I bought G2 and Gh2 at the same time so I am in 2x boat too

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The D800 - finally, finally

After a long long wait, today I got my second camera body and that too a FX. The Nikon D800. Though this hobby/profession is supposed to be a bottomless pit, as of know my photographic gear seems to be complete. My signature below lists all my rides & the photographic gear.

No, I don't want the rumoured D400.

Let me post the first pictures:

The Box

Attachment 961301

The contents and the bubble-sheet shrouded beauty

Attachment 961302

The bubble-sheet removed and in a transparent plastic bag

Attachment 961303

The unveiling

Attachment 961304

In all its glory

Attachment 961305

The battery is being charged currently and the manual will be read, re-read and re-re-read.

Sample shots would follow later.
Congrats, Now I am curious as to what lenses your planning to use with it... certainly not just the ones listed in your signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
More than the crop, its about noise in extreme conditions. I have taken 30s ISO 3200 exposures on the Nikon D7000, which are pretty clean. In contrast, such an exposure on the GH1 etc., you are looking at too much noise.
OF course, not many shoot in these conditions, but for those who do, the larger the better. I would love a 8MP ultra low noise APS-C sensor!
Yea m43 sensors still have a long road to reach D700 quality clean-high-iso shots. But for what they are, I am finding them alright. My main purpose for these is time lapse rather than normal photos/videos.

Nikon D3/D3s comes to mind when one says ultra low nosie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Some folks are saying that the 18-300 has equivalent IQ to 18-105 and 70-300 VR at their respective ranges. If really so, I am tempted to sell both these lenses and go for the 18-300. But I am skeptical - there must be compromises with the 18-300 lens,

70-300mm VR I believe is supposed to be better than the 55-200 and 50-300. One of those zooms that give the best value for money. Note: I haven't used 55-200 or 50-300 - just read about them on forums. I do use the 70-300.
I have used 18-105 and 70-300 (both beercan from film cameras and VR), frankly I found 18-105 the best, closely followed by 55-200. 70-300 was alright but I never got used to the color rendition and always felt IQ was lacking.

If I have to choose, 18-105 is great (although quite a few flaws are there) and 55-200 is plain crazy when it comes to price vs performance, just don't try to use manual AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. As far as I have read, D600 is the one which is rumored right? Is D400 is also around?
D600 - Rumored cheap FF body
D400 - Rumored expensive Dx body

Key words being Rumored

Quote:
I had ordered a remote flash trigger for Sony Alpha from Amazon. Got the item last weekend. This is what I got - (item #2 & #3 in below picture)

Attachment 961345

Right now the usage is confined to a remote shutter release for the camera because of this issue. This picture is actually taken by pressing the button in the transmitter in the picture above, you can see the receiver is wired to the camera..
Amazon is pretty good on returns, send them an email explaining the situation and they will refund. And that is certainly a canon hotshoe.
Old 25th July 2012, 08:59   #10194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, what is the post-processing tool used by experts here? I find lightroom (trial version) very good, but can it be used for water-marking and tilting to straighten the horizontal lines (forgive my amateurish words). But it is expensive at Rs 8000.

Can someone suggest the best software available (free/affordable ones)?

Cheers

Vindy
Try GIMP. Its a free tool (GPL License) and gives lot capabilities.
Many free plugins are available too. If you are on MAC, you can look at Aperture (80$ @ Appstore). All third party filters available for Photoshop are available for Aperture too.

Canon's DPP S/W which comes with the camera is pretty good too. (Dont know what comes with Nikon)
Old 25th July 2012, 09:39   #10195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Now I am curious as to what lenses your planning to use with it... certainly not just the ones listed in your signature.
Not quite. 3 out of 4 lenses in his signature are known to work well. The 24-70 is one of the 'recommended' lenses for the D800 as is the 105mm Micro Nikkor. Recommended not just by Nikon but other review sites, including Ming Thein.

The 300 F/4 works really well too as per pics I have seen from a relative who has this combination, plus reviews on the 'net.

I am unsure about the 80-200. But as a rule of the thumb one shouldn't have any issues with any of Nikon's pro grade lenses. Not surprisingly the latest models are on Nikon's recommended lens list.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:26   #10196

Quote:
Not quite. 3 out of 4 lenses in his signature are known to work well. The 24-70 is one of the 'recommended' lenses for the D800 as is the 105mm Micro Nikkor. Recommended not just by Nikon but other review sites, including Ming Thein.

The 300 F/4 works really well too as per pics I have seen from a relative who has this combination, plus reviews on the 'net.

I am unsure about the 80-200. But as a rule of the thumb one shouldn't have any issues with any of Nikon's pro grade lenses. Not surprisingly the latest models are on Nikon's recommended lens list.
You will find any compatible lens is recommended by nikon as long as its in current lineup and not super seeded.

To me lenses are way more imp than new bodies, hence I keep updating my lenses but bodies are usually 1 gen old
Old 25th July 2012, 10:41   #10197
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops...my bad rajb3125, I misread your post. Miss the 'just' Yeah, I guess GD will expand his lens collection sooner or later.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:44   #10198
BHPian

Thank you Ampere. Will try GIMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Try GIMP. Its a free tool (GPL License) and gives lot capabilities.
Many free plugins are available too. If you are on MAC, you can look at Aperture (80$ @ Appstore). All third party filters available for Photoshop are available for Aperture too.

Canon's DPP S/W which comes with the camera is pretty good too. (Dont know what comes with Nikon)
Old 25th July 2012, 10:55   #10199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To me lenses are way more imp than new bodies, hence I keep updating my lenses but bodies are usually 1 gen old
+1 Same here - Lenses are more important.

I have waited till I built up a decent collection of lenses and then went in for good camera bodies. My fav is the 24-70.

I agree there will be commercial implications/interests in Nikons suggestions - but they i.e. suggested lenses have performance merit as well.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:58   #10200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used 18-105 and 70-300 (both beercan from film cameras and VR), frankly I found 18-105 the best, closely followed by 55-200. 70-300 was alright but I never got used to the color rendition and always felt IQ was lacking.

If I have to choose, 18-105 is great (although quite a few flaws are there) and 55-200 is plain crazy when it comes to price vs performance, just don't try to use manual AF.
Depends on personal preferences, use cases and compromises (driven by budget in my case) I guess. The IQ of 70-300 VR falls off nearer to 300mm, but I am happy with some of the shots I have got at 300mm or close to that. And I want the extra reach of the 70-300mm.

Can you share some good photos taken with the 55-200, if they are handy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks