Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 23:41   #9871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I am not very impressed with the results I get with the kit lens (18-55mm) when compared to the 50mm prime and it usually remains stowed away in the bag!
50mm prime has spoiled you.
A zoom with bright lens at tele end will be rather expensive. Not sure if 25k will be enough. Why not try to walk up closer and take pictures?
After all we are not talking of wildlife photography here.

On top of that 50mm is considered to be perfect for portraits. Not sure if zoom will make you happy with results. Especially when they will be judged against the 50mm prime.

Last edited by download2live : 8th June 2012 at 23:43.
Old 9th June 2012, 00:09   #9872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
50mm prime has spoiled you.
A zoom with bright lens at tele end will be rather expensive.
On top of that 50mm is considered to be perfect for portraits. Not sure if zoom will make you happy with results. Especially when they will be judged against the 50mm prime.
It is precisely these facts that are stopping me from buying a zoom lens. Most zoom lenses below Rs 50,000 have apertures between 4.5 and 5.6. Looking at the 18-55 kit lens images versus 50 prime images, I realised it would be difficult for me to really take the kind of pictures I want with zoom lenses of that kind of aperture (4.5-5.6).

That said, I am at best an average photographer, so maybe I should spend less time cribbing about equipment and more time shooting.
Old 9th June 2012, 00:15   #9873
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hindu : Business / Companies : Nikon India may increase prices

Nikon may increase prices due to depreciation of the Rupee. There was a marginal increase in the prices of some models 1-2 weeks back.
Old 9th June 2012, 13:17   #9874
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a Sony Alpha a57. I currently use a Fujifilm HS10, and thinking of jumping into the DSLR bandwagon !!

Is there anyone who is using a Alpha a57 here? How is the cam overall?

Also does anyone know where one can get a good deal in NCR?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 20:04   #9875
Senior - BHPian

I am also just like you so from whatever search i did, its better to stick to either canon or Nikon for the choice of lenses as well as service.
Old 9th June 2012, 21:21   #9876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
Hi All,
I am looking to buy a Sony Alpha a57. I currently use a Fujifilm HS10, and thinking of jumping into the DSLR bandwagon !!
Is there anyone who is using a Alpha a57 here? How is the cam overall?
Also does anyone know where one can get a good deal in NCR?
Thanks
I am an A35 user, A57 is a better one of course.. if you got any question regarding SLTs, shoot them

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am also just like you so from whatever search i did, its better to stick to either canon or Nikon for the choice of lenses as well as service.
If the only reason to stick with Canikons is lens & service availability, then it is like buying a car with only focus on spare parts and A.S.S. no offense to users of Canon and Nikon, there are great cameras out there from both brands and I feel the basis of a buying decision should cover other aspects as well. It is more difficult to get lenses of Sony but if one is willing to take some additional procurement effort, there are some old Minolta gems with costs similar to a cheap amateur lens, but with optical quality which is equivalent to expensive lenses like L series.

I am happy that I have not even spent more than 20K on my three non-Sony lenses but they are the ones I love to use instead of the Sony 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th June 2012 at 21:27.
Old 9th June 2012, 21:32   #9877
BHPian

Hi all,

I am a newbie to DSLR's and am going to buy one soon, I am confused between the Canon 550D and the latest released Nikon D3200. I tried reading reviews and that confused me further.So which is a better choice.Is there any other entry-level DSLR that is going to be release soon or are this my only good options?
Old 10th June 2012, 01:52   #9878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u
Hi all,

I am a newbie to DSLR's and am going to buy one soon
I would prefer canon over nikon

p.s - I have a 550d with kit lens
Old 10th June 2012, 09:39   #9879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all,

I am a newbie to DSLR's and am going to buy one soon, I am confused between the Canon 550D and the latest released Nikon D3200. I tried reading reviews and that confused me further.So which is a better choice.Is there any other entry-level DSLR that is going to be release soon or are this my only good options?
Canon 550D already has a successor EOS 600D which was announced last year. There are rumors of 24 Mega pixel cameras from Canon T4i, but so far its just a rumor.

I ordered 550D after shortlisting Nikon D3100 and D3200, Canon 1100D,550D and 600D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If the only reason to stick with Canikons is lens & service availability, then it is like buying a car with only focus on spare parts and A.S.S. no offense to users of Canon and Nikon, there are great cameras out there from both brands and I feel the basis of a buying decision should cover other aspects as well.
Isnt that why people are going for Maruti and are happy with it ? . How many are buying FIATs thanks to their A.S.S?

However, if we go to high end cars like BMW,Audi or Mercs(we even have Volvo on roads) equation changes. No one wants a kizashi.

Coming back to the Topic, I read it as A37 which is entry level DSLR and thats why suggested the more common names for beginner. Someone who wants an intermediate level DSLR surely knows about what he is after.
Old 10th June 2012, 09:50   #9880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt that why people are going for Maruti and are happy with it ? . How many are buying FIATs thanks to their A.S.S?
However, if we go to high end cars like BMW,Audi or Mercs(we even have Volvo on roads) equation changes. No one wants a kizashi.
Coming back to the Topic, I read it as A37 which is entry level DSLR and thats why suggested the more common names for beginner.
I am the odd one out here.. I have two Fiats and a Sony camera But let's not discuss that..

Sony calls A37 entry level but it is packed with more features than the entry level ones of Canon and Nikon and it is slightly more expensive than them too. Sony should have had a cheaper SLT model as entry level. Sometime back, The Alpha 2xx series cameras were entry level but then they completely stopped that and gave Alpha 3x that status. May be they wanted to promote Nex series too as entry level ones.

Quote:
Someone who wants an intermediate level DSLR surely knows about what he is after.
Well, can't generalize like that. There are people whom I know who just walked into a camera shop with the least idea on DSLRs and photography and went back with a D3X. (Now he is trying to sell it, that's another story) There are also people like most of us here who do tremendous research to figure out which entry level camera to go for!

I had mentioned about experimenting with focus stacking in PS some pages back, here is my first try with CS5 focus stacking. It is very easy to do it in CS5. This is stacked from 6 images at f/2.2.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th June 2012 at 10:04.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:33   #9881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi all,

Would pick a 550D among the two. However, that doesn't make the D3200 inferior by any means.
Old 10th June 2012, 11:17   #9882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you sure you are new to dSLR scene?

Quote:
Cars need regular service, unlike cameras. So you don't need to use the same logic. Besides, Sony/Olympus/Pany do have service centers in all the major cities.

Quote:
And why is that? It is because of prejudice and snob factor. If you are willing to make an honest comparison, then brand shouldn't be a matter. Kizashi is probably will be lot more reliable and definitely cheaper to own than all the German cars. I own a Vitara since 2007, so I have some first hand experience in this.

Quote:
I am the odd one out here.. I have two Fiats and a Sony camera But let's not discuss that..
Get in line, I was odd before you.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1334812

Quote:
Well, can't generalize like that. There are people whom I know who just walked into a camera shop with the least idea on DSLRs and photography and went back with a D3X. (Now he is trying to sell it, that's another story) There are also people like most of us here who do tremendous research to figure out which entry level camera to go for!
Exactly. True research should consider all brands and then compare it without prejudice. People who have done that research would learn that entry level cameras from Sony/Olympus are more VFM and loaded compared to the Canikon ones. Which entry level Canikon camera to buy, is not the best question to start your research with.

Look at this comment from a member who has only owned Canon and Nikon: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2128187

Last edited by Samurai : 10th June 2012 at 11:18.
Old 10th June 2012, 11:51   #9883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which entry level Canikon camera to buy, is not the best question to start your research with.
That summarizes the point very well.

Last few pages of this thread is flooded with questions on which Canon or Nikon to go for, but that's mainly due to D3200 coming into the scene.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th June 2012 at 11:54.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:11   #9884
Senior - BHPian

@samurai,@clevermax
Completely agree :-)

That's the beauty of this forum isn't it. We always get all round perspective.

So for i am happy with my decision to go with canon 550d. Felt it was better bang for the buck at 33k

In future when i have to upgrade, makes sense to consider more contenders :-)
Old 10th June 2012, 17:48   #9885
BHPian

Quote:
I saw that the D3200 is a newest DSLR launched in 2012 and costs around about same as EOS550D. So you can consider 550D as well to add to your confusion
Thanks for suggesting 550D. Looks really good and am currently looking at deals for D3200 or 550D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Guys,
Bought D3200 @ 35K with 18-55mm lens yesterday.
Congrats Mugen_Power. Would like to hear your initial impressions with you regarding the ease of use, features & the performance
Thats a very good deal. Like @rajshenoy, even I would also like to know about the source.
Quote:
Thats a very good deal for D3200. what is your source ? Cheapest deal i see on ebay as well as other local sources are at 36K.
Does getting it in US makes sense anymore, considering $ price currently? The best deal I could find is $600 which is more or less the same price here but with US warranty.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 10th June 2012 at 17:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks