Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 17:12   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Lots of AF issues are being reported with the 7D. Canon has already accepted the ghosting issue where the previous image can be still seen on the next image as the buffer was not clearing up fast enough at high FPS.
Firmware update released for Canon 7D on 4th Nov. '09 to fix these glitches.

Canon releases EOS 7D firmware update | Digital Cameras & Camcorders | ZDNet.com

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled
No it has not really solved the AF problem, I am not sure if the ghosting has been eliminated either. I say this after reading user discussions at most of the photo forums on the web.
Update has been released just couple of days back. Have users posted experience after firmware upgrade?

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Canon.

Last edited by sukiwa : 6th November 2009 at 17:24. Reason: additions
Old 6th November 2009, 17:15   #1967
BHPian

A piece of art that just blew me away! Shot with the Nikon D3S, arriving to stores in early December.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:17   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

No it has not really solved the AF problem, I am not sure if the ghosting has been eliminated either. I say this after reading user discussions at most of the photo forums on the web.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:23   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
No No we will not do that. This topic has been discussed and to death all over the www with no clear census
I concur.

in my case, i stay from VS threads since i use all nikon/canon/sony with my heart gone to pentax but sadly no more pentax gear.

@SPARKled
@Torqueguru

Yes next logical step for D300 is D700 but when you see the chance to get 5D for almost half the price and on top a G adapter to use all your nikon G lenses, it isn`t a huge deal to go for 5D instead of D700. There is a D700x in works but still no confirmation.

I am not sure about INDIA but here in Australia, its not uncommon to see people jumping ships, i have seen and dealt with landscape photographers jumping from 5D mk2 to D700 and selling all of canon lenses to get nikon lenses. Selling lenses is easy enough. And with recent bank collapses, there are more bodies/lenses in the market and since nikon/canon/pentax jacked up the prices, even older pro lenses are selling for more than what they sold for originally. For example i had sb400 bought at $95, nikon jacked prices in feb09 and i sold it for $170.

About video capabilities, yes its awesome to get DOF with 35mm lenses but there are downfalls like Rolling shutters, Jelly effect with IS and plethora or issues, biggest issue being harder to change focus and very little manual controls (5D excels here) and not to mention external mic (solved in Pentax K7).

Videos in DSLR`s will be useful in next 12-24 months but that means more updated DSLR bodies with very little added benefits and real progress. Do you see the point i am trying to make???

Also for DOf and other benefits of 35mm lenses, DOF adapters are easy enough to make and can be had for as little as $100 and paired with $400 camera which when paired with any brand 50mm lens blows all of the videos made by DSLR`s.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:59   #1970
BHPian

@ITinspector

I still do not understand why would anyone who wants to shoot landscape jump form a 5D mark 2 to a D700! If someone wants to shoot wildlife, street, wedding or sport does it, it makes sense. Whether in Australia, India or the US.

The downsides of DSLR video limits it to certain areas of videography, mainly short clips for montages. And yes technology will improve. my point was, professionals do use it and its only going to be used by more and more. And i do get what you are trying to say as well. you got to make the best of whats in store right?

Quoted - "Also for DOf and other benefits of 35mm lenses, DOF adapters are easy enough to make and can be had for as little as $100 and paired with $400 camera which when paired with any brand 50mm lens blows all of the videos made by DSLR`s."

Well, the quality of glass makes one hell of a difference in chromatic aberration and sharpness. And exposure control is much better in DSLRs. I am talking of higher end models, like 5D mk2 and D3s..

Could you please post a link to a mindblowing video(in terms of quality and not content, since any camera can give u awesome videos in the right hands) made by a 100$ DOF adapter? I am just curious to know, since I found them quite crappy, it could be my ignorance.

Regards,
TG.
_______

Last edited by Torqueguru : 6th November 2009 at 18:00.
Old 6th November 2009, 18:38   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@ITinspector

I still do not understand why would anyone who wants to shoot landscape jump form a 5D mark 2 to a D700! If someone wants to shoot wildlife, street, wedding or sport does it, it makes sense. Whether in Australia, India or the US.
I really cannot comment from personal experience, all i can put forward is what i see pro`s doing at the moment. Personally i really don`t care for the market itself since Canon/Nikon hardly make any money of 1D series or Dx series in nikon`s case. All the money is made off consumer-prosumers rather than pros. And all the R&D(used to) goes in pro series while the features trickle down into prosumer category.

Quote:
The downsides of DSLR video limits it to certain areas of videography, mainly short clips for montages. And yes technology will improve. my point was, professionals do use it and its only going to be used by more and more. And i do get what you are trying to say as well. you got to make the best of whats in store right?
Correct, as an extra feature/gimmick added to the DSLR its fantastic, where things go astray is when there is decent amount of money thrown at R&D which is good but purists who now have to pay $100 more for a DSLR who`s advantave is having better video mode than new imaging technology, get seriously annoyed and angry. Like i said above, all the R&D used to go into Pro series while features trickled down into prosumer category slowly. Now manufacturers are spending R&D money into prosumer categories too, which means slower progression for Pro series, means purists are going to be pissed off more.

Throw in the likes of Leica S2 and its becoming a dangerous turf.

Quote:
Well, the quality of glass makes one hell of a difference in chromatic aberration and sharpness. And exposure control is much better in DSLRs. I am talking of higher end models, like 5D mk2 and D3s..

Could you please post a link to a mindblowing video(in terms of quality and not content, since any camera can give u awesome videos in the right hands) made by a 100$ DOF adapter? I am just curious to know, since I found them quite crappy, it could be my ignorance.
Yes glass does make quite a bit of difference, hence the reason why RED/SI/etc users use Nikon/Canon/Zeiss glass meant for DSLR`s.

Similarily if you want to use a 35mm DOF adapter, don`t get Letus or similar since all have different optics added to the adapter. Just get a set of extension tubes and cheapest uv filters off dealextreme. remove filters from the rings and use the rings as spacers. Throw in Canon focusing screen and you loose less than 1/2 stop of light.

Something like Canon HV10 or Sony SR12 are real great to use with these. Only issue, video is upside down but can be corredted in post processing easy enough.

And you said the right thing, its all about the photographer than the gear. Like i said before, i don`t shoot video, so i don`t have any samples to post.

I hope i explained my point without too much fog.

These topics are getting way too controversial and fanboi-ism is shining, lets choose a different topic.

Cheers
Old 6th November 2009, 18:58   #1972
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Then why not buy here in Melbourne. I can let you know where and whom to buy it from. Since its nearly christmas time, prices have started to go down a bit but it makes haggling a bit harder.
Whats the current price going on in Australia for D7, whatever prices i have seen in the website is too much compare to indian rate.
Old 7th November 2009, 05:50   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Whats the current price going on in Australia for D7, whatever prices i have seen in the website is too much compare to indian rate.
To be honest, i am not sure, but you can check out Vanbar and DCW, those 2 usually have decent prices.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2009, 13:09   #1974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But have you looked into Canon G series, Micro 4-Thirds, Leica D-lux series, Ricoh G-R series. Whole point of these are to provide portability and are made DSLR sensors.
Canon G series (my son uses my old G2), Micro 4 thirds are really big compared to the S90. Ricoh is jsut no as available and Leica is way too expensive.

The S90 has a reasonably fast lens (F2.0 @ 28mm) & a 4x zoom only the Panny LX3/Leica DLUX4 compare to this. The Ricoh GRIII and Leica X1/M9 have no zoom and are either unavailable or very expensive that leaves the Sigma DP1.

Quote:
Nikon - Expensive, but more focussed on professionals with less prosumer features. NPS still requires at a minimum of 3 pro bodies and plethora of lenses.
Canon - Less expensive but more focussed on prosumer features but still enough for professionals.
many Nikon lenses and Canon lenses are now quite well matched in price/performance.

Quote:
Something like Canon HV10 or Sony SR12 are real great to use with these. Only issue, video is upside down but can be corredted in post processing easy enough.
My wife uses a Canon HF10 which is similar to the HV10. What is this upside down thing you are talking about.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:28   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Canon G series (my son uses my old G2), Micro 4 thirds are really big compared to the S90. Ricoh is jsut no as available and Leica is way too expensive.

The S90 has a reasonably fast lens (F2.0 @ 28mm) & a 4x zoom only the Panny LX3/Leica DLUX4 compare to this. The Ricoh GRIII and Leica X1/M9 have no zoom and are either unavailable or very expensive that leaves the Sigma DP1.
I was offering these as an alternative to big bulky DSLR, since your requirement was noise free images.

Quote:
many Nikon lenses and Canon lenses are now quite well matched in price/performance.
Still awaiting for a canon alternative for Nikon 14-24mm G f2.8 (in performance terms) and still awaiting a f4 lineup from nikon to rival canon 70-200mm f4. There are quite big gaps which are not going to get filled anytime soon.

Quote:
My wife uses a Canon HF10 which is similar to the HV10. What is this upside down thing you are talking about.

Its called DOF adapter

Cheers
Old 7th November 2009, 15:33   #1976
BHPian

@ITinspector
I see no fanboyism here at all! And absolutely no controversy, just hard discussions that are aimed at providing a meaningful, well formulated opinion, which can benefit all of us

Nikon has a 70-200 f 2.8 AFS VR. Its immaculately sharp and of course fast. I hope you took that into consideration when you were talking of Nikon not matching up to the awesome 70-200 f4 from canon.

These are from my 700-200 f2.8 AFS VR
The DSLR Thread-4075767354_6d97b2bc10_b.jpg
The DSLR Thread-3892264820_5de5a95220_b.jpg

By the way, I just gifted a canon HSF100 camcorder to my father. Maybe when I come to India, I will give one of those adapters a shot!

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 7th November 2009 at 15:43.
Old 7th November 2009, 18:25   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
@ITinspector
I see no fanboyism here at all! And absolutely no controversy, just hard discussions that are aimed at providing a meaningful, well formulated opinion, which can benefit all of us

Nikon has a 70-200 f 2.8 AFS VR. Its immaculately sharp and of course fast. I hope you took that into consideration when you were talking of Nikon not matching up to the awesome 70-200 f4 from canon.
I know about nikon 70-200mm f2.8, i got two

Canon has both 70-200mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f4,

And every single test proves that f4 is sharper than f2.8 and is lighter in weight too, almost half in weight.

Nikon doesn`t have an f4 availble YET. Infact nikon doesn`t have the f4 lineup at all to counter Canon f4 line.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2009, 21:50   #1978
Senior - BHPian

RAW Conversion option not vissible; advice needed

I have a 5D. I mostly shoot in RAW mode and used to use Raw conversion feature in the ZoomBrowser EX 5.5 for converting the photos to Jpegs.

Recently I upgarded from XP to Vista and re-installed the zoombrowser again. But I am not getting the Raw conversion option on this utility.
Does anybody know why this could be happening? Do I need to upgrade to to a more recent version?

Also are there better options for RAW conversion?

Last edited by Guna : 7th November 2009 at 21:52.
Old 7th November 2009, 21:56   #1979
BHPian

Hey Torqueguru, how and where did you take that tiger shot? Its FABULOUS!
Old 7th November 2009, 23:38   #1980
BHPian

Quote:

So far the best solution for video with film look (shallow DOF) is the Lumix gh1. An equivalent result can only be got with a 10K+ USD rig Sony EX!+Letus DOF adaptor.

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Panasonic Lumix GH1 first impressions and first footage

Was panning for a Lumix gf1 or LX3 or Canon s90, till I read this:
LX3's pocketability and ZS3's image quality? [Page 1]: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And pulled the trigger on the Lumix tz7 yesterday! The deal breaker on the LX3 was the reviewer’s opinion that manual adjustments on P&S are marketing gimmicks. Apparently, you never get to use ‘em. So s90 was also dropped from his shopping list, apart from also having serious CA error

Apparently, the 24-300 zoom performance on the tz7 cannot be equaled by even a DSLR zoom. We shall see.

This will replace my oly e300 + fujif11 as my street cam kit. My back will thank me for this.

PS Upside down pictures appear on the early DOF adaptors: you can jerry rig your own, if you can access a machine shop.

The Letus does a flip. It's all good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks