Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 14:26   #2746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
Got no idea where to look in india but here are some links where you can get cokin stuff.

Try BHphoto, they are quite good and ship overseas.
Adorama also has fair bit of used Cokin filters and holders.

But the best will be Ebay international. There are quite few Cokin duplicates available and you can buy a duplicate holder since it just a piece of metal milled out and molded plastic.

Lee used to give out free Swatch booklets which they stopped now. Its still available through dealers for free if u ask nicely but not on the website anymore. This is how i use these with my strobes. These swatch booklets provide amazing amount of ligh creativity and Color correction for free.

If your serious about ND filters then just get a lens ring for Cokin P series from ebay.Put double sided tape on the outside and adhere any welding glass on it. As long as you do manual focus and custom white balance, it should be all good.

Cheers
thanks. will see if i can locate someone coming from the US and have em get filters along.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:58   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Am guessing that it is the kit lens (18-55), and 17-55 is a typo...
@pawan_pullarwar, can you confirm if it is 17-55 or 18-55 that you are getting with the camera? Like @Sparkled has said, if it is 17-55, then its a steal!
Sorry it was typo. It is 18-55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
If you have anyone travelling to the US and back, then...
Generally here people prefer to buy European model. Bought from Saturn or Media Market... Rebel wil not fetch you a good money.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:25   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes it does! Got confused.
450D has live view and phase detect AF while 500D has got live view and got phase deect and contract detect AF. Guess i'm not confused with this one!

Well, that might confuse readers to believe that the 500D has phase detect AF in LiveView too!

For the record, every SLR has phase detect AF by default. Phase detect is miles ahead of Contrast Detect in terms of sheer speed.

450D: No AF in Liveview
500D: Contrast Detect AF in Liveview

The only cameras that offer Phase Detect AF in Liveview are the Sony Alpha A330/380/550/500. So you get both speed and liveview.

Just for the the record.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:23   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Well, that might confuse readers to believe that the 500D has phase detect AF in LiveView too!

For the record, every SLR has phase detect AF by default. Phase detect is miles ahead of Contrast Detect in terms of sheer speed.

450D: No AF in Liveview
500D: Contrast Detect AF in Liveview

The only cameras that offer Phase Detect AF in Liveview are the Sony Alpha A330/380/550/500. So you get both speed and liveview.

Just for the the record.
I know that every SLR has a phase detect AF. But we were discussing about AF in Live View.

Actually i was wrong when i said 450D had only phase detect AF in live view. 450D has both phase detect and contrast detect AF in LV. I was again confused with my 40D which has only phase detect AF in LV.

And you were wrong when you said that 450D did not have any AF in live view. The mirror drops down temporarily when quick mode (phase detect AF) in LV is enabled, else it focuses with contrast detect AF.

500D has both phase detect AF and contrast detect AF in LV like the 450D. Additionally it has face detection in LV. That is based on its contrast detect AF system.

Not to confuse further: Canon EOS 500D / Digital Rebel T1i Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Old 12th January 2010, 13:40   #2750
Senior - BHPian

What would be a 'bang for the buck' considering a telephoto lens for D60 in the range of 50-400 mm ? Purpose would be bit of birding, nature etc. I was checking the Sigma 50-500, do we have anyone here using the same or something similar ?

Presently having the kit lens 18-55 VR and additional 55-200 VR in my bag, I think of replacing both with some quality prime and a telephoto.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:20   #2751
BHPian

BHPians, I would be going to National Market today. I'll have a look at the rates there, for the 500D and the 450D.
Any caveats while buying from the grey market? Are there any serial numbers etc which I need to check online?
Old 12th January 2010, 17:44   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Better go to Jayesh Mehta from Photocircle if you're form bangalore. He offers better prices + genuine stuff.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:57   #2753
Senior - BHPian

First go to national market and then to sukh sagar mall, note down the prices and then go to Jayesh. You will have a firm idea on the price differences. I did the same when I was tossed between D60, D90 and D5000, atlast I bought mine from Sukh sagar mall for the lowest. Never go alone for gadget purchases, take along someone who knows the field. That brings peace of mind and better judgement of the item in question. Just my 2 cents !!
Old 12th January 2010, 19:31   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
BHPians, I would be going to National Market today. I'll have a look at the rates there, for the 500D and the 450D.
Any caveats while buying from the grey market? Are there any serial numbers etc which I need to check online?
The grey products in India are usually new - atleast in DSLR.

There are softwares available to check the shutter release count. The software would help you to identify if it is new or refurbished camera.
Try this for canon: astrojargon - 40D Shutter Count

Unfortunately this does not work with 500D :(

Alternatively, see the box to identify from which country the camera originated. It will be usually Hong-kong or Japan. Access the canon website corresponding to that country and register you serial. You would know if it is already registered.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:58   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Brought a sony A230 today, it came with a speaking instruction manual, clevermax
Pramod
Here's his new gear, with my heavy lens mounted on it

Old 13th January 2010, 00:34   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Better go to Jayesh Mehta from Photocircle if you're form bangalore. He offers better prices + genuine stuff.
I picked up the 500D for 44k from Jayesh early this month (with 2 years warranty and canon edge stuff). National market prices were around 5k cheaper, but without warranty.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:39   #2757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You have steady hands! Or is it the IS?
Well its a combination of steady hands+f/2.8+VC.

Here's a pic I took soemtime back with the 450D + 50mm f/1.8 and 1/4 sec while sitting down. No IS

The DSLR Thread-img_2961.jpg

Quote:
Sunny, VC is working really well i guess. Much better than kit lenses i guess. I like Tamron, prefer this than Sigma.
Well even I was skeptical. I see some shakes in the viewfinder but none on the pic! lol. This Tamron is many miles ahead of the kit lens

Quote:
Have you started using your EOS 30? How many rolls over?
2 rolls done. Taking pics exclusively with the Tammy 90mm f/2.8 Macro. I feel this lens is a perfect match for the FF SLR
Old 13th January 2010, 11:58   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a pic I took soemtime back with the 450D + 50mm f/1.8 and 1/4 sec while sitting down. No IS
hmm.. if you look at the car, you'll not see the minor shake. however, take a look at the yellow parking board, street lamp (left tall one), compound wall fencing and your see a slight camera shake. or is it coz of the DOF?
Old 13th January 2010, 12:10   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
hmm.. if you look at the car, you'll not see the minor shake. however, take a look at the yellow parking board, street lamp (left tall one), compound wall fencing and your see a slight camera shake. or is it coz of the DOF?
Combination of both. the parking board is quite some distance far. Think of the objects are along the radius. Ones closer to the centre point oscillate less while the ones far away observe more oscillations. Here oscillations can be referred to the shake.

There is a bit of shake in the original pic for the car as well, but then resized it vanishes.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:15   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I guess it is just the bokeh (50mm lens wide open!) and not any camera shake. Good shallow DOF.

Quote:
Ones closer to the centre point oscillate less while the ones far away observe more oscillations. Here oscillations can be referred to the shake.
I disagree. More motion blur in picture (for the same amount of vibration given to the camera) is observed as you zoom more towards telephoto range. If there is a shake, it affects everything in the picture in the same way. However, if the size of the object is relatively large compared to the frame (for example, car here) you wont notice the shake in it that much. If the size of the object is small compared to the frame, (the thin light pole) you may observe more shake in that.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th January 2010 at 12:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks