Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 14:42   #2806
BHPian

Why is this guy ken rockwell so against dlsr's and instead rave's and rants about compact camera's?
i ask because i have been building my lenses (17-40, 100 mm. A 300mm is on the anvil) with a view to moving to a full frame towards the end of the year.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:43   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'm now eyeing the D3 or the D3x or the newer D3s as an upgrade to my D300. Your opinion guys....
gd if you are keen on selling the D300 lemme know. I am on the lookout for a decent condition D300.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:58   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
@The_Warrior

This is strictly in my opinion. I am also in the process to select my first DSLR ( used quite a few but this will be my own one ) . I have compared the 500D samples and 450D samples. Although , you will be getting a better screen ( 920K dots ) , more resolution on paper ( 14+ ) , but if you compare the photographs from both these cameras , the picture quality in terms of per pixel sharpness and high ISO noise handling is way better in 450D. The quality of images taken by 450D is still quite unmatched by it's peers and competitors in the same price segment.
I have a 500D..Did you check the settings on the 500D.. The default is not in RAW format and you can take it all the way to 15Mpixel whereas by default when you take JPEG images, it would be at a resolution of around 8Mpixels..
Old 18th January 2010, 15:36   #2809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I have a 500D..Did you check the settings on the 500D.. The default is not in RAW format and you can take it all the way to 15Mpixel whereas by default when you take JPEG images, it would be at a resolution of around 8Mpixels..
errr on my 450D by default JPEG is 12MP. I dont think it will be 8MP in the 500D.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:23   #2810
Senior - BHPian

Ken & against DSLRs? Now, that is news to me. Where, on his site, did you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Why is this guy ken rockwell so against dlsr's and instead rave's and rants about compact camera's?
i ask because i have been building my lenses (17-40, 100 mm. A 300mm is on the anvil) with a view to moving to a full frame towards the end of the year.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:42   #2811
Senior - BHPian

it_inspector, thanks a lot for the gyan. Really appreciate it

fatboyslim, advantage Cokin is that yo ucan use the same filter across different lenses with just a change of the lens-filter holder adaptor ring. A series is for lenses from 35mm to 62 mm and P series for larger dia lenses.

Quote:
You mean Ken 'plug' Rockwell is against all DSLRs that are not Nikon
Seriously i don't think he is against DSLRs, can you post the link where you have read that.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:52   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The default is not in RAW format and you can take it all the way to 15Mpixel whereas by default when you take JPEG images, it would be at a resolution of around 8Mpixels..
Even in JPEG too, you can take the full 15MP photos.
The size of the file would be around 5~6 MB for JPEG. It will be higher for RAW though.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:15   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hello Guys...snip...
You are going in right direction, many beginners make the mistake of choosing brand new DSLR body and kit lenses. Buying a decent lens and older generation DSLR body is better idea since you dont loose much money on selling the older body when you have outgrown it.

#1. You can get a combination of Kit lenses, usually its like 18-55mm and 55-200mm/55-250mm. Its okayish combination but i would rather suggest spending a bit more and getting Tamron 18-270mm as its a cracker of a lens and isnt that expensive.

If your going Nikon then no point getting 18-105mm, specially if you will be buying 200mm. Remember due to crop factor your 18-200mm lenses will give you 27-300mm FOV.

#2. Hoya are good as long as you get originals. Cokin and Lee are the best, they have the biggest range of filters and in the long run they turn out to be cheaper than circular filters

#3. Don't get a crap tripod to save money, even a lil bit of air will ruin your shots, worse it can knock off the DSLR+lens. Get a decent one from Manfrotto or get a Manfrotto copy, they are fairly cheap these days. I suggest checking out ebay for cheap knock offs.

Quote:
Hello Friends,

This question is more on thought leadership. As APC format DSLR becme cheaper there is going to substantial uptake of these camera bodies and lenses but in the next 5 years we might see even the price of full frame D-SLR cameras will decrease to the point that it going to be in the reach of average joe like yours truly. Infact, I feel in 5 years every camera in the D-SLR range will have full frame as standard.
Not going to happen. APS in digital has inherent benefit, sensor price. Sensors are harder to make as size inreases. Medium Format sensors are still in the range of 4 figures even when bought in thousands.

Similarily Full Frame has a draw back, higher price, higher error rate during manufacturing, lenses need bigger imaging circle which directly adds to the price of optical glass which is already too expensive and tidious to make. Just watching "Canon Lens making Technique" makes it clear why lenses are so expensive.

But all this is just BS and doesnt hold a "2cents" worth when it comes to consumer trends. At the moment trend is completely towards compact cameras. Consumers want compactness which cannot be achieved with Full Frame Sensors for obvious reasons.

m43 system is taking off like a rocket because people wanted compactness with powerful feature set and to be honest we have no idea what will consumers decide as the future.

Quote:
In that case what happens to all those lenses which were manufactured for APC/Dx format. The solution today seems to be expensive as customers to buy dedicated lenses on account of vignetting and sell off existings lenses. so we have 3 challenges:

1. Upgrade cost to a full frame DSL
2. Upgare cost to Dedicated lenses for full frame
3. reduced price for existing lenses in used market, which could delay upgrdation by about 2 years (Assumption)
Dx lenses does not cause vignetting, they cause black space around the imaging circle. This is what happens when Dx lenses are mounted on a Full Frame body (i cannot believe i am linking ken-lol-well). The only solution is to use Extension tubes which basically means, lens will be slower to use.

Quote:
Should not companies focus on making a simple attachment to make the transition easier as higher grade cameras would typically have higher margins, moreso today than tomorrow because prices are seen to be decreasing across models.

Like the teleconverter which enhances lens performance, can a concave-convex attachment be manufactured which first disperses and then converges light accurately to aviod vignetting on a full frame. Well there is certainly need for such a system.

Experts, what are your thoughts, are there unsurmountable technical challenges?

Best,
Why will companies make a $50 adapter to adapt a lens when they can sell a $1500 lens.

Teleconverters don't enhance lens performance, if anything they decrease lens performance.

Vignetting is very easy to correct as long as RAW files are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Regarding sensor cooling, the one at Hanle(Chandra telescope) requires liquid nitrogen for cooling. Its a CCD
Now i am baffled , why will they implement LN2 when they can implement Phase Change system which is easier+cheaper+better for rapid cooling. Plus the biggest benefit of high grounds mean easier to implement and less maintenance. Also LN2 will cause Leidenfrost effect when used with running CCD's.

The biggest benefit being idiot proof and almost no work hazards.

Quote:
Some of the comments from Ken-lol-well's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrockwell
I have the playful, immature and creative, trouble-making mind of a seven-year-old, so read accordingly.
Quote:
This site is purely my personal speech and opinion, and a way for me to goof around. Don't take any of this as true; I like to make things up as much as any other kid.
Quote:
I don't own the gear you see me talk about.
Quote:
While often inspired by actual products and events, just like any other good news organization, I like to make things up and stretch the truth if they make an article more fun. In the case of new products, rumors and just plain silly stuff, it's all pretend. If you lack a good BS detector or sense of humor, please treat this entire site as the work of fiction. This site it is the product of my own imagination, not fact.
Quote:
...except that there are many deliberate gaffes, practical jokes and downright foolish and made-up things lurking. While this site is mostly accurate, it is neither legally binding nor guaranteed. The only thing I do guarantee is that there is plenty of stuff I simply make up out of thin air...
Quote:
I love a good hoax. Read The Museum of Hoaxes, or see their site. A hoax, like this site, is done as a goof simply for the heck of it by overactive minds as a practical joke.
Do you still want to take even a single comment from him seriously ???

Cheers
Old 18th January 2010, 19:22   #2814
BHPian

Dear it_inspector,

You seriously rock! Thanks so much mate!

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
You are going in right direction, many beginners make the mistake of choosing brand new DSLR body and kit lenses.
===================
Do you still want to take even a single comment from him seriously ???

Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2010 at 20:15. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large thread for a short reply and please avoid short one liners. Thanks
Old 18th January 2010, 19:31   #2815
BHPian

Ok now a tough question only for IT Inspector.

Tell me something which you dont know in this field.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:46   #2816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Ok now a tough question only for IT Inspector.

Tell me something which you dont know in this field.
I still need to learn a fair bit.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:14   #2817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
i would rather suggest spending a bit more and getting Tamron 18-270mm

#3. get a Manfrotto copy, they are fairly cheap these days.

APS in digital has inherent benefit, sensor price.

Consumers want compactness which cannot be achieved with Full Frame Sensors for obvious reasons. m43 system is taking off like a rocket because people wanted compactness with powerful feature set and to be honest we have no idea what will consumers decide as the future.
Is the 18-270 as good as the 18-55+55-250 (Canon) combo? I figured a super telephoto will always have more CA and distortion than 2 relatively short zooms.

Which Manfrotto copy are you refering too?

APS also has a benefit in lens price. Since the sensor is smaller the lens can be smaller too (for the same apature).

I believe most of the compactness of the recent 4/3rds cameras is not due to the smaller sensor but due to the design (they have eliminated the "SLRness" of film SLRs because in a digital world the same image can be made availabe in the EVF and on the CCD at the same time). If Canon or Nikon wanted to implment the same technologies in their DSLRs they could theoretically make their DSLRs smaller too (though not as small as 4/3rd).
Old 19th January 2010, 12:08   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good tripod (cheap please). Budget around 2k to 2.5k. I have a 500D with standard 18 - 55mm lens and planning to upgrade to 55-200 mm later on. Any help would be very beneficial. Please note that I am a novice photographer, hence dont need the high end ones.

Also, anyone knows where can I get the same around in Pune?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 19th January 2010 at 12:17.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:25   #2819
Team-BHP Support

Get VPT 3662. Its sturdy and big. Good enough for basic needs.
Costs around 1500rs, and is available at most photography shops!
Old 19th January 2010, 13:08   #2820
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Based on it_inspectors recommendation, I did a quick survey of the reviews of Tamron 18-270 mm and no surpises it was indeed rated higher than both Nikkor 18-200 VR mm and Canon 18-200 IS (source: www. dpreview.com) and the Nikkor and canon lenses were rated better than the Kit lenses. So, there we have it, Tamron is the best of this lot!

The review also mentioned that the performance of the Tamron lens is a little lacking than Nikon in the wide range and Canon in the telephoto range but overall a much better glass albiet with a little slow autofocus. Hopefully it should not matter or does it?

Thanks Tanveer & it_inspector on the tripod recommendations. My feeling is to go with (I think Tanveer suggested it in one of his posts) the camera body with warranty and rest et al from the grey market.

Saw a mind boggling deal from ebay international, but not sure of the quality of accessories apart from the camera body and two lenses and also the with US warranty. The link is pasted here for team members who are interested. Wicked!

Nikon D90 Digital SLR 5 Lens 16gb MEGA KIT *NEW * USA* - eBay (item 130358504757 end time Jan-19-10 06:00:37 PST)

I sure think something is cooking, either the D90 price is expected to come down or it is going to be replaced, in the US.

Best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks