Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 21:53   #2776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
@The_Warrior

This is strictly in my opinion. I am also in the process to select my first DSLR ( used quite a few but this will be my own one ) . I have compared the 500D samples and 450D samples. Although , you will be getting a better screen ( 920K dots ) , more resolution on paper ( 14+ ) , but if you compare the photographs from both these cameras , the picture quality in terms of per pixel sharpness and high ISO noise handling is way better in 450D. The quality of images taken by 450D is still quite unmatched by it's peers and competitors in the same price segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

+1. Colleague bought a 500D and night time pics were better on my 450D compared to his 500D with my lens and when I took pic from both cams.
Pixel pitch at work.
Doesn't the 500D sensor comes with gapless microlenses to counter reduced pixel pitch?
Old 14th January 2010, 09:42   #2777
BHPian

Yes , I guess it comes with gapless microlenses to counter the reduced pixel pitch which cannon have.

But in practise the 15M sensor simply outresolves the average lenses which we put. So we will be not able to capture the details which this sensor is capable of. Moreover , they might have changed their JPEG processing engine and tweaked few default parameters for which the output doesn't look as crispy as EOS450D gives. Either it has something to do with the anti alias filter or the processing. But considering the raw images as well , EOS 450D provides better sharpness.

So you see this is something to do with the low pass filter assembly that canon introduced with it's 15M sensors in 50D and 500D.

Moreover , how many of us would be able to invest in a professional quality prime to match the sensor resolution in terms of resolving power just to get the most out of that 3 megapixel advantage?
Old 14th January 2010, 16:02   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Yes , I guess it comes with gapless microlenses to counter the reduced pixel pitch which cannon have.

But in practise the 15M sensor simply outresolves the average lenses which we put. So we will be not able to capture the details which this sensor is capable of. Moreover , they might have changed their JPEG processing engine and tweaked few default parameters for which the output doesn't look as crispy as EOS450D gives. Either it has something to do with the anti alias filter or the processing. But considering the raw images as well , EOS 450D provides better sharpness.

So you see this is something to do with the low pass filter assembly that canon introduced with it's 15M sensors in 50D and 500D.

Moreover , how many of us would be able to invest in a professional quality prime to match the sensor resolution in terms of resolving power just to get the most out of that 3 megapixel advantage?
Very well said , I second that.. Even I was researching on the same issue from past few days and came to conclusion finally I am either going for D80 / or EOS 450.

Personally I want to go for EOS 450 D but my friends insisting me to go for Nikon as brand .now I am confused.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:18   #2779
BHPian

@akaushik

you have to decide on the brand. They are equally capable brands and have their own set of fans. But you have to consider few facts before buying a DSLR. This is only going to be the initial investment and am sure even if you are not buying pro lenses , you will surely buy few good lenses. Now once you have those lenses which are considerably dearer than the body you are buying now , you would really find it very difficult to migrate to any other brand later on by scrapping your own set of lenses. On the other hand if you have only Nikon DSLRs in your friend circle , then I would recommend you to go for Nikon as that will enable you to use a collection of lenses in your friends circle and also it will help you stay connected when your friends are discussing photography

Once you decide the brand you can choose the model according to your requirements and budget.

D80 was a good camera in it's time , but there are better cameras now in that price range. If you really want to stick with Nikon , then you can go for D5000 instead of D80. But if you have access to older Nikor lenses without AFS motors , then go for a D90 or D80 if budget is a constraint.

And if you decide for canon , go for EOS 450D and buy a 50mm 1.8 prime ( should be around 6000rs ) along with the kit lens.
Old 14th January 2010, 20:56   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this mechanism in few places, what is this external fitting on a DSLR ? Please enlighten.
The DSLR Thread-doubt.jpg
Old 14th January 2010, 21:08   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Just saw this mechanism in few places, what is this external fitting on a DSLR ? Please enlighten.
Attachment 265303
That's a macro ring flashlight.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:20   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, now I understand how some macros look magical !!
Old 15th January 2010, 07:29   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for the info, now I understand how some macros look magical !!
Macro Ring Light is used to provide light all around the subject. Using extension tubes or huge macro lenses (huge in terms of magnification) raises the F no which means sometimes viewfinder itself is very dark and flash needs to be used all around the subject. One can get away with multiple flashes or just one Macro Ring light.

Ring Lights are also used for police work and by dentists for records purposes.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2010, 09:34   #2784
BHPian

Guys, there is a solar eclipse today and I want to photograph it. How does one do it with a DSLR?

Techniques and other details including iso, shutter speed etc please...
Old 15th January 2010, 09:45   #2785
Senior - BHPian

@Proxima: read all about it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1682129

Are you going to Dhanushkodi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, there is a solar eclipse today and I want to photograph it. How does one do it with a DSLR?

Old 15th January 2010, 09:47   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

Look for answers here, especially post #18 by tanveer.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...e-chasers.html
Old 15th January 2010, 09:59   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Nikon D700 + Grip

Reference my earlier post here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1672060 yesterday accompanied my friend Sankar Sridhar (http://www.sankarsridhar.com) to Chandini Chowk camera market to my provider and purchased the D700 and Mink D3000 battery grip as the MB-10 was out of stock.

Nikon D700 - Rs. 1.15L
Battery Grip - Rs. 7200/-
Plain 77 mm UV Filter - Rs. 150/-

Total - Rs. 1,22,350.00
----------------------

Buy back:

Well used D200 + Original Nikon Battery grip - Rs. 25000/-

Difference to be paid was Rs. 97350/-. I paid Rs. 95000/- and Sankar was a very happy man. He left last night to Haridwar to shoot the first Shahi Snan...

I'm now eyeing the D3 or the D3x or the newer D3s as an upgrade to my D300. Your opinion guys....

Last edited by gd1418 : 15th January 2010 at 10:05.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:00   #2788
BHPian

@ GD and sukiwa: thanks

Im not going anywhere Just wanted to see if I can take some photos from my terrace. It will be a partial eclipse from Chennai I guess.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:18   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'm now eyeing the D3 or the D3x or the newer D3s as an upgrade to my D300. Your opinion guys....
I still feel you could have squeezed a bit more out of D200 but that is my opinion and i guess condition also matters.

Its definitely a Good buy, D700+battery grip is basically D3, actually one might argue that its a bit better since its cheaper and has sensor cleaning.

If you need ridiculously high ISO performance, get D3s or if you need huge pixel count, get D3x.

For example, for my shots, its either long exposures at ISO200 or studio shots, either way i don't really need high ISO (would rather freeze sensor to get better NR at long exposures) as i can control all the light i need. So it was a clear choice for me, specially since Australia government wanted to give back 50% on investments and 10% tax, ideally D3x turned out to be cheaper than buying a D3 under normal circumstances.

Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 15:47   #2790
BHPian

Solar eclipse from BLR using Canon 1000D and sigma 70-300.

The DSLR Thread-_mg_5087.jpg

The DSLR Thread-_mg_5257.cr2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-_mg_5254.cr2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks