Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 20:34   #8626
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
....a copy of 055 XPROB floating on ebay and dealextreme....
No, I would prefer a branded one as its going to serve me lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
.....check out the Vanguard CF range which is value for money and really well made for its price......Feisol is a good brand - why on Earth did you sell that off too? .....hope your back gets well soon!
I have already seen that, did not impress me. Feisol was very good. I had specific reasons to sell it: 1) Twist legs was a painful process, as each adjustment would redden my palm and take more time. You will know if you have used it already. A photowalk or a macro attempt requires constant adjustments, which is really painful with twist type. 2) Availability of parts, service etc was a problem for Fiesol as its almost not present here. 3) Want of more solid and sturdy legs as D700 with 70-200 was not easy with all 3 legs extended.

What I find interesting in Manfrotto 055 XPROB are;

1) Its heavier, capacity upto 7 kgs
2) tubes are in the 29.4, 25 and 20mm range
3) Clip leg locks, easy to adjust in any situation
4) Center column goes horizontal too, thats within few seconds !!
5) Lowest angle just 10 cms, perfect for low angle macros

And the only negative is its weight: 2.4 kgs. With the 496 RC2 ball head it will become 2.8 kg. But relief is that my CF Fiesol with its heavy horizontal column and unit used to weight more than 3 kgs !!

OT: And for the back, I got myself a 'LP-support' brand Magnetic waist support, Robinaxol as a muscle relaxant tab, hot water bag and sensor application before bed. Its better after 7 days 'easy-go' method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Do not forget to consider this guy too:....
Will read, right now its mostly between Nikon and Canon as the overall lens range, service etc are far above any other brands here. A studio guy will require regular services and parts as its not going to be a sleeping product like hobbyists.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:19   #8627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This, whenever it comes out, will be clearly aimed for sports/action photographers. 14 frames per second is nothing new for Canon.
They've achieved this long back in 1984 designed for press photographers covered that L.A. Olympic Games.

Despite after 20 years - Still the FASTEST beast around.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nhighspeed.htm
Nice! Didn't know they had achieved 14fps 27 years back .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
No, I would prefer a branded one as its going to serve me lifetime
What I find interesting in Manfrotto 055 XPROB are;

1) Its heavier, capacity upto 7 kgs
2) tubes are in the 29.4, 25 and 20mm range
3) Clip leg locks, easy to adjust in any situation
4) Center column goes horizontal too, thats within few seconds !!
5) Lowest angle just 10 cms, perfect for low angle macros

And the only negative is its weight: 2.4 kgs. With the 496 RC2 ball head it will become 2.8 kg. But relief is that my CF Fiesol with its heavy horizontal column and unit used to weight more than 3 kgs !!
Like I said on YM, this is heavy, and that's the only downside. This tripod is solid, I mean, you can feel it when you mount the camera on it. And the best part is that it comes to my eye level easily (6ft person here). I had the Velbon Sherpa in Bangalore that you have seen, but I prefer this manfrotto over that anyday. If weight is not a concern, get this and eventually add a markins m10 ball head (or an equivalent).
HellwratH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 21:24   #8628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
....If weight is not a concern, get this and eventually add a markins m10 ball head (or an equivalent).
Weight may not be a real concern as I have learnt when to carry it ! But Markins, no way, unless I get some help from the US of A

Last edited by shajufx : 18th October 2011 at 21:25.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:29   #8629
BHPian

Quote:
Weight may not be a real concern as I have learnt when to carry it ! But Markins, no way, unless I get some help from the US of A
Ha ha, sure . I can get the M10 in Jan/Feb . I'll need help on how to dodge the customs officials though. If weight is not a concern, get it. Or if you wait for a while, someone or the other will sell it on JJMPF/BPC. The good part is that no matter how hard you try, this tripod cannot be abused.
HellwratH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 22:49   #8630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) Twist legs was a painful process, as each adjustment would redden my palm and take more time. You will know if you have used it already.
I use the CF version of the Manfrotto 055 (the CXPRO4) and those clip locks sometimes deliver a pretty painful pinch when locking the legs(Ouch!). I honestly prefer the twist locks on my Gitzos and the now sold off Vanguard.

Cheers!
Old 19th October 2011, 14:39   #8631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
....those clip locks sometimes deliver a pretty painful pinch when locking the legs........
I have used both twist and clip locks in the past 5 years and my sincere observation is below, probably it may help friends who are buying new tripods:

Twist type
1. Twist left, mostly twice to get it lose enough
2. Extend the single leg and twist right, twice to get it firm
3. Repeat the steps 1 & 2 two more times for other 2 legs
4. Repeat the entire 1, 2 & 3 for second extension and third extension (but one hand need to firmly hold the upper leg portion)
5. Ignore your already paining palm and set the legs on floor
6. Mount the camera
7. Go mad when you need to lower the height now

because, you have to remove the camera first, lift the entire tripod and do the twist left, twist right exercises all over again !! Its more painful than its written here, experience it to understand 100%. Note, this is when you are on a photo walk or similar.

Clip lock
1. Do clip clip clip, all legs are lose
2. Lift the head portion, legs will drop by its own weight
3. Another clip clip clip, its ready for use
4. Mount the camera and shoot
5. Want to lower height ? Its very easy. You can do single hand, without removing the camera.

Twist type requires both hands with the camera body removed for height adjustments. If you twist without supporting the above leg, entire leg will turn lose. This is my experience with a 17k carbon fiber tripod.

Aesthetically, people might like twist type, but it has its own negatives
Old 19th October 2011, 15:34   #8632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used both twist and clip locks in the past 5 years and my sincere observation is below, probably it may help friends who are buying new tripods:

Clip lock
1. Do clip clip clip, all legs are lose
2. Lift the head portion, legs will drop by its own weight
3. Another clip clip clip, its ready for use
4. Mount the camera and shoot
5. Want to lower height ? Its very easy. You can do single hand, without removing the camera.

Twist type requires both hands with the camera body removed for height adjustments. If you twist without supporting the above leg, entire leg will turn lose. This is my experience with a 17k carbon fiber tripod.

Aesthetically, people might like twist type, but it has its own negatives
Good advice for future tripod buyers.

The steps for the clip process is precisely what I do with the twist locks on the Gitzo systematic (with attached ball head) - to recap:

a) Twist all twist locks on a leg 1/4th turn
b) Legs don't rotate and they drop out/extend
c) Turn locks 1/4th turn anti clockwise (looking from top) to lock the legs
d) Lock camera onto QR plate and slide into the ball head clamp
e) To adjust leg height - hold tripod + camera combo at the tripod's apex (no taking camera off) and loosen the locks 1/8th to 1/4th of a turn just enough to slide the leg(s) in or out, adjust height and turn twist locks again. Repeat for other 2 legs if required.

Takes me ~30-60 seconds to deploy the tripod from closed/compact state. Not much different for the Manfrotto 055 as the legs don't turn and just drop out once locks are opened - but I intentionally go a little slower coz whilst locking as they may pinch. I am faster with the twist locks than the clip versions.
Old 20th October 2011, 21:17   #8633
BHPian

Shaju, I am using the 55xprob 498rc2 combo for quite some time now, guess it is better to go for the CF ranges, the 55xprob is simply too heavy for the stability it provides, good for macro though.

One good tripod that I came across recently is Horusbennu 3540, Korean make and available on EBay, pretty nice stuff, do check it out though it has twist type locks
Old 21st October 2011, 00:22   #8634
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that my old out of order Sony DSC 717 is not going to be brought to work due to spares problem. So seems it is time to buy another DSLR. I bought that in 2000. After eleven years I won't mind to invest another 25k to 30k.Can you great people suggest a good one, let the lens be from 28-105.
Old 21st October 2011, 09:23   #8635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I am sure that my old out of order Sony DSC 717 is not going to be brought to work due to spares problem. So seems it is time to buy another DSLR. I bought that in 2000. After eleven years I won't mind to invest another 25k to 30k.Can you great people suggest a good one, let the lens be from 28-105.
you can buy either a Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D in 25 - 30k slab and for mid level slab can go for Nikon D5100 or Canon 550D in 35 - 38K (all slabs with basic lense included)

There is a deal in the market Canon 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses at 38k, please suggest should i go for this or the one which i have shortlisted Nikon D3100 with 18-55 lens at 27.5k, but then i think Nikkor 55-300 lens will be around 20k

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd October 2011 at 21:46. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Cheers.
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:42   #8636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
There is a deal in the market Canon 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses at 38k, please suggest should i go for this or the one which i have shortlisted Nikon D3100 with 18-55 lens at 27.5k, but then i think Nikkor 55-300 lens will be around 20k
thats a bad deal

Canon 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 max is 33.7k with B&w. Pritam in delhi have that price
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:02   #8637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Shaju, I am using the 55xprob 498rc2 combo for quite some time now, guess it is better to go for the CF ranges, the 55xprob is simply too heavy for the stability it provides, good for macro though....
Thanks buddy, I just received my 055 XPROB early morning by hand from Chennai (my neighbor was coming empty hand anyway), as BLR prices were 2500 more than what I got from my Smart guys ! I love these guys, their prices are too good. This is my 3rd purchase from them in 2011.

What you said is absolutely correct, its heavy, its bone breaking heavy But the kind of stability it gives, no compromise to my previous 17k tripod that was CF and hardly weighed 1.3kg with a ball head. This one with the ball head is 2.8 kgs and thats more than double from what I am used to. But it can withstand another tsunami for sure ! No more carrying it at the back, I might use it also as a walking support and search for a very light weight compact CF version for travels other than own transport.

Manfrotto 055 XPROB is a tripod that can last a lifetime. Its solid, heavy, ready for abuses, rock steady for windy outdoors and very well built. It can take all kinds of bodies right from compact to large format ! Clip lock is a breeze to use, trust my words. No more reddish painful palms.

The DSLR Thread-manf.jpg

The DSLR Thread-manf-1.jpg
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:08   #8638
BHPian

Cool angle to showcase the tripod Keep the allen keys handy, the clips sometimes loosen up a bit after lot of use.
The center column is great in this tripod, enjoy!
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:14   #8639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I just received my 055 XPROB ...
Congrats! What ball head?
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:54   #8640
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shaju, I'll be checking this tripod we meet next time. I might be changing my tripod soon. Although I've been planning (for a long time actually) for CF but let me check this one too.
BTW, for Ballhead you can check out Cullman Magnesit also, have been using these for sometime and I must say that are superb for the price. Not sure if the model I have is still available or not. (Although Markins one will be better with higher load capacity but accordingly costlier too)

Last edited by kaushik_s : 23rd October 2011 at 17:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks