Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 23:28   #8701
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I and a P & S guy. I am planning to buy a entry level DSLR and am looking at the Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D. After going through a lot of user reviews and forums, I had decided to go for the D3100. Yesterday I went to a Camera shop and was shown both models. I was still with the D3100. The shopkeeper then said that he would suggest Canon for me.
Reasons were:
1. Nikon is simple to use so preferred by the lesser educated 'Professional Cameramen' but ad I seemed educated, I would be able to learn to use a Canon and use the better features.
2. World wide Nikon gives huge discounts and is a less premium brand whereas canon is never sold at a discount. This situation is reversed in India.
3. Nikon has a SLR service center only in Delhi while Canon can be serviced anywhere.

So now I'm confused again. I did not buy a camera and am going ahead only after your feedback.
Whats simple and what is not depends on your cognitive abilities and how your brain is wired. I know Professional photographers who find Canon simpler and some who find Nikon simpler. I use both, so I guess I am too complicated as per your approach.

My friend, when you buy a camera, the brand doesnt matter. Just get what fits your budget. Getting a camera is the start of along expensive journey...instead of getting lost in the brand wars, get out there and shoot as many pictures as you can with your new gear before you choose to upgrade! That way you know what you are doing, hopefully by the time you upgrade!Trust me on this.
Cheers,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 31st October 2011 at 23:30.
Torqueguru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 00:07   #8702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Are you saying that canon offers more features than a Nikon, or just that Nikon is easier to use? M800 & Ikon comparison is just not fair.
I am not saying that, but when I was looking to buy my first DSLR someone else said to me that Nikon is easier to use than Canon. That is why I was able to relate to the OP and the shopkeepers suggestion.
And yes, even I don't agree with the comparison.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:23   #8703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I and a P & S guy. I am planning to buy a entry level DSLR and am looking at the Nikon D3100 and Canon 1100D. After going through a lot of user reviews and forums, I had decided to go for the D3100. Yesterday I went to a Camera shop and was shown both models. I was still with the D3100. The shopkeeper then said that he would suggest Canon for me.
Reasons were:
1. Nikon is simple to use so preferred by the lesser educated 'Professional Cameramen' but ad I seemed educated, I would be able to learn to use a Canon and use the better features.
2. World wide Nikon gives huge discounts and is a less premium brand whereas canon is never sold at a discount. This situation is reversed in India.
3. Nikon has a SLR service center only in Delhi while Canon can be serviced anywhere.

So now I'm confused again. I did not buy a camera and am going ahead only after your feedback.
Mind sharing who is this dealer? Probably we need to keep away from such enlightenment. Seriously, first thing you need to change is the dealer before changing your decision from Nikon to Canon.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:19   #8704
Senior - BHPian

No shop. It's just the local studio guy who will order a camera for me if I want it. Am in Eruvadi, Tirunelveli dist.
Another question- Is it better to buy a camera from the grey market? A cousin who bought a Canon 550D from his friendly neighbourhood smuggler said that the quality is much better in the cameras which come from Singapore vis a vis ones bought in India. Specifically the battery.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:34   #8705
Senior - BHPian

Been very interested in macros and landscape photography. Till now I have been using my kit lens of 18-105mm on my D-90. Looking forward to buy a wide angle and macro lens. Anyone know of good shops in Delhi and around please help.

Some of my clicks. No editing, no cropping just compressed to meet the forum attachment requirements. Would love to hear comments from fellow members. Just see the difference of beauty at same place in first two pics, clicked on two different days.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc7246a.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc7361a.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc7309a.jpg  

Last edited by TaureanBull : 1st November 2011 at 10:37.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:51   #8706
BHPian

Quote:
No shop. It's just the local studio guy who will order a camera for me if I want it. Am in Eruvadi, Tirunelveli dist.
Another question- Is it better to buy a camera from the grey market? A cousin who bought a Canon 550D from his friendly neighbourhood smuggler said that the quality is much better in the cameras which come from Singapore vis a vis ones bought in India. Specifically the battery.
My recommendation is avoid grey market if the price difference is minimal. I dont think quality should be any different given that both are imported stock.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:56   #8707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

Some of my clicks. No editing, no cropping just compressed to meet the forum attachment requirements. Would love to hear comments from fellow members. Just see the difference of beauty at same place in first two pics, clicked on two different days.
What white balance did you set for the first image? It's come out really well.

The last image looks slightly over exposed. Did you use flash?
Old 1st November 2011, 15:14   #8708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly you're being fed quite a bit of hogwash by these people. It is always better to buy from an authorised dealer - not the friendly photographer and especially not the grey market or smuggler. And there's no difference between what you get in S'pore and what you get here.

You don't want to bear repair charges on grey markets/smuggled units and that is IF Nikon/Canon agree to repair it in the first place. It can get really expensive.

Cheers!
Old 1st November 2011, 18:08   #8709
Senior - BHPian

For Canon EOS users who also happen to be Android users, here's an app that can take control of your DSLR by connecting it to the camera over USB.

DSLR Controller

App is paid. There are sources where you can get it for free as well
Old 1st November 2011, 19:42   #8710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
What white balance did you set for the first image? It's come out really well.

The last image looks slightly over exposed. Did you use flash?
Thanks for the comments. White Balance was Auto. Yes I used the flash in last pic and that too at a close range. Exposure time 1/200.
Old 1st November 2011, 19:48   #8711
BHPian

Hi All,

i am really in a dilemma to pickup my DSLR.

here are the options which are drilled down but not sure about the best one.

Canon 550D -- Price is on the higher side but can afford it
Canon 600D -- Price is above my Budget
Nikon 3100(i am getting it with 2 lens) and the price is around 26000

i Know that lens cost of Nikon is high and canon is cheaper,

But when i compare the products (canon 550d to 600d) i am getting a tie
and when i compare the products(Canon & Nikon ) i am getting nikon as runner up.

please help me.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:28   #8712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi All,

I am surprised to see Nikon D5100 missing from the list. I just picked this camera few days back. D5100 has the excellent sensor from D7000 with super high ISO results. In all the international reviews 5100 is directly compared with 600D, but here in India it priced close to 550D(the reason why i see it as good VFM).

Conclusion from my research says:
Still Images= D5100
Video= 550D/600D
Actually you cannot go wrong with either of these, i picked 5100. Only if 600D was priced closer, the decision would have been much more difficult.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st November 2011 at 23:28. Reason: typo
Old 1st November 2011, 20:48   #8713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Nikon 3100(i am getting it with 2 lens) and the price is around 26000....
Get the 3100 and see how fast you reach a stage camera is not capable of matching your creativity. Ideally it takes over an year if you want to go serious into photography, otherwise it can remain for 5 years or more easily.

Reason for the suggestion: Spending high on a body or lens does not guarantee high quality images. Go through some reviews of 3100 and search for images from it on Flickr, you might have a better idea than asking around
Old 1st November 2011, 22:08   #8714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

i Know that lens cost of Nikon is high and canon is cheaper,

But when i compare the products (canon 550d to 600d) i am getting a tie
and when i compare the products(Canon & Nikon ) i am getting nikon as runner up.

please help me.
AFAIK, the 600D is not much of an upgrade over the 550D, it gets a tilt screen which the 550D lacks.

If you are willing to shell out for the 550D, you might also consider the Nikon D5100 as .anshuman as already said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I am surprised to see Nikon D5100 missing from the list. I just picked this camera few days back. D5100 has the excellent sensor from D7000 with super high ISO results. In all the international reviews 5100 is directly compared with 600D, but here in India it priced close to 550D(the reason why i see it as good VFM).

Conclusion from my research says:
Still Images= D5100
Video= 550D/600D
Actually you cannot wrong with either of these, i picked 5100. Only if 600D was priced closer, the decision would have been much more difficult.
+1. .
Old 1st November 2011, 23:06   #8715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
AFAIK, the 600D is not much of an upgrade over the 550D, it gets a tilt screen which the 550D lacks.

If you are willing to shell out for the 550D, you might also consider the Nikon D5100 as .anshuman as already said.

+1. .
yes the reason why 5100 is missing since i have an experience with this one and dont want it to try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks