Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 22:36   #8851
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys which Nikon DSLR is currently the smallest in size? I am not really looking into lots of bells and whistles. Autofocus motor and stabilization can go out of window since I am planning to use a prime with it.

D40 would have been ideal but I guess that is not into production anymore.
Nikon D3100 is your best bet. Buy the 35mm f/1.8 along with it. You may have to stretch your budget of 6k by another 6k if you want a new 35mm. Its an excellent lens! Used to work well on my older D3000. Or try to get an older 50mm f/1.8. That should be much cheaper.

I'm not even sure if this is a good suggestion but you may try for a used Nikon D80 too. Or even a used D90. Do your research on this one. But keep in mind that these will have a lot of actuations on them since these cameras would have been used by serious hobbyists.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 25th November 2011 at 22:40.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 09:26   #8852
BHPian

I have the Nikon 70-300G lens overall I am happy with it but lately I find myself itching for the sigma 70-300 motorized one. Is the Sigma one worth it, any feedback, folks?
Old 26th November 2011, 11:02   #8853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Nikon D3100 is your best bet. Buy the 35mm f/1.8 along with it. You may have to stretch your budget of 6k by another 6k if you want a new 35mm. Its an excellent lens! Used to work well on my older D3000. Or try to get an older 50mm f/1.8. That should be much cheaper.

I'm not even sure if this is a good suggestion but you may try for a used Nikon D80 too. Or even a used D90. Do your research on this one. But keep in mind that these will have a lot of actuations on them since these cameras would have been used by serious hobbyists.
Just saw that the new 35mm f/1.8 comes with an in-built autofocus motor. The combo of that with D3000 or D3100 will be sweet.
Hunting around for D3000 or D3100 body now.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:00   #8854
BHPian

Hi Guys,
This is my first visit to this thread and a few others related to Photography. Guess I have been bitten by the Photo Bug!
I am making my first jittery steps into the world of DSLR photography.

Two days back ,my brother & sil gifted me a Nikon D7000 with a 18-105 VR lens Kit. (Saved me all the confusion of selecting a Cam).

Till then my Companion was a Sony T100 which I had acquired in 2007.
And I had no plans for graduating to a DSLR anytime soon.

First pic that I took in manual mode resulted in just a black frame.

After a bit of research found the basic 3 mantras of Manual Photography the 1)aperture setting, 2) shutter speed and 3)zoom&focus.
Doing lots of experiments with the above.
Results: None that are worthy of sharing.

Bought a UV filter(HOYA) and a Lens cleaning Kit.(Based on advice from a friend who claims to know a bit about cams ).

I am not planning on buying any lens for now. May be a tripod is on the cards in the near future.

Gurus may pls advice on whether i am on the right track.

PS: I understand that this is not a Photography Forum, and I am not a hard core Photographer (at-least right now). From what I quickly browsed in the 500 odd pages in this thread. But the thread is more tilted towards selecting the right equipment. Wish the Gurus could throw in light into better photgraphy tips too! Hope I am not asking too much.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:52   #8855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes, they can send it to you for 32k with 18-55 lens. But posted price on the site is 34.2 which is their usual price. Let me know if it sounds good. Probably do a cross check with other available online stores too, prices might vary depending on the date of import as you know about the recent dollar variation.
Shaju, which online shopping mall is offering it for 32K? I think that's the lowest I could find after searching. Want to order!

Called up JJ and they told me they will sell for 32.9K, site is listing 34.5K though.
Old 27th November 2011, 13:01   #8856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Shaju, which online shopping mall is offering it for 32K? I think that's the lowest .....
Sent you a PM with number and details. I dont think its encouraged to post here personal numbers or names
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 13:10   #8857
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Panasonic FZ 28 before a year or so. Been taking photographs mostly in Apexture mode..sometimes in full Manual. Still a learner. Not getting enough ZOOM to capture those colorful birds around the farm I often visit. Understand telephoto lens for FZ28 not worth that money & the output is not much desirable. Been thinking of selling it out and buying a DSLR, where I guess lots of options for additional lenses . Can someone suggest a good all rounder like FZ28 in its class. I have a budget of around 20-25k and have people who can carry the equipment from any part of the world. Any suggestions?

Edit: Even I am open for second hand equipment...in that case what should I target for

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Hi Guys,
throw in light into better photgraphy tips too! Hope I am not asking too much.
Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

Lots of tips are there. Happy reading.

Last edited by Surprise : 27th November 2011 at 13:12.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 13:56   #8858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS: I understand that this is not a Photography Forum, and I am not a hard core Photographer (at-least right now). From what I quickly browsed in the 500 odd pages in this thread. But the thread is more tilted towards selecting the right equipment. Wish the Gurus could throw in light into better photgraphy tips too! Hope I am not asking too much.
I am no Guru, but anyways, here goes.

Firstly, congrats on the equipment. You have been handed over a semi-pro DSLR.

Instead of switching over to manual mode directly, experiment with aperture mode (A mode) and shutter mode (S mode) to get a feel and understand the basics. Once you get familiar with these, you can jump over to manual or use aperture/shutter priority mode.

Lot of reads are available on the net, spend some time reading the basics to understand how different ISO, shutter speed/aperture/exposure compensation result in different images.

At first, the whole thing might seem quite intimidating and overwhelming, with most of them using technical words. Don't worry if you understand only little, start experimenting and you will feel at home.

Try reading Thom Hogan's guide, I found it to be quite helpful.

PS: On a different note, welcome to the money pit. You will find yourself yearning for a lot more equipment and you will start justifying your need for it.

PPS: Just for starters, you might be interested in a 50mm prime. Great low light lens.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 21:10   #8859
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have a Canon EOS550D with the usual kit lens of 18-55mm and a zoom 75-300 USM. I am a casual photographer but keen enough to enjoy the good images.

Apologies if this query has been asked and answered earlier, but how valuable is a wide angle lens (such as the canon 10-22 mm) in a kit? Can anyone post comparo shots of the same subject with a standard kit lens and a wide angle? i would love to see the difference before I invest close to 30k in the lens.

Next question is if at all I do decide to buy the wide angle, is Canon the right one or a 3rd party one (such as Sigma/Tamron) equally good ?

Thanks.

Last edited by plimsollmark : 27th November 2011 at 21:12.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:44   #8860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
....how valuable is a wide angle lens (such as the canon 10-22 mm) in a kit? Can anyone post comparo shots of the same subject with a standard kit lens and a wide angle? i would love to see the difference before I invest close to 30k in the lens.

Next question is if at all I do decide to buy the wide angle, is Canon the right one or a 3rd party one (such as Sigma/Tamron) equally good ?

Thanks.
If you like shooting landscapes, a wide angle is a MUST! Unless you want to do a panorama each time. There is indeed LOT of difference between 10 and 18mm. I have heard really nice reviews about the Canon 10-22mm (I belong to the Nikon world ).

I own a Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Its really SHARP! I rented the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 lens when I was in the U.S. and I can tell you that for a amateur photographer/serious hobbyist, the Tokina 12-24 f/4 fits the bill. The main difference I observed between the two lenses is that the Tokina produces slightly more saturated images than the Nikon. That's not bad for landscapes.
Old 27th November 2011, 21:49   #8861
BHPian

Quote:
KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

An interesting read, particularly for Nikon.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 11:16   #8862
BHPian

Quote:
<snip>...</snip>

When switching from point and shoot to DSLR, the best way (in my opinion) to learn ,is to take pictures in auto or scene modes first.Then review the pic and see the aperture,shutter speed ,iso and other settings. Then go to other modes and manually increase/decrease and see the differences.

Late view your images in viewnx (the nikon basice picture viewer program),or similar program which gives all statistics and compare them and learn.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:17   #8863
Senior - BHPian

I lost my lens cap of my Nikon D3100 with stock lens 18-55. Where can I buy a replacement for the same here in Bangalore? How much does it cost?
Old 28th November 2011, 12:36   #8864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I lost my lens cap of my Nikon D3100 with stock lens 18-55. Where can I buy a replacement for the same here in Bangalore? How much does it cost?
Try flipkart. You can also try Jayesh's Foto Circle or R.K Photo Guide. It might cost you around 100-200 bucks.
Old 28th November 2011, 14:42   #8865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar

If you like shooting landscapes, a wide angle is a MUST! Unless you want to do a panorama each time. There is indeed LOT of difference between 10 and 18mm. I have heard really nice reviews about the Canon 10-22mm (I belong to the Nikon world ).

I own a Tokina 12-24mm f/4. Its really SHARP! I rented the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 lens when I was in the U.S. and I can tell you that for a amateur photographer/serious hobbyist, the Tokina 12-24 f/4 fits the bill. The main difference I observed between the two lenses is that the Tokina produces slightly more saturated images than the Nikon. That's not bad for landscapes.
Thanks blue pulsar! Yes I do like landscapes very much. If I may ask, any idea how much does a Tokina 12-24 cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks