Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 14:40   #8986
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Gurus, GuGurus and GuruGurus, when it comes to 77mm UV filters, what would be your pick ? Marumi (1020), Tiffen (1375) or Kenko (1745) ? Want to protect my PRO glasses
Old 15th December 2011, 15:01   #8987
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Gurus, GuGurus and GuruGurus, when it comes to 77mm UV filters, what would be your pick ? Marumi (1020), Tiffen (1375) or Kenko (1745) ? Want to protect my PRO glasses
If you want protection while storage, I would suggest buy something for 50-100rs.
If you actually want protection while shooting, go for a lens hood.

However, if you are shooting in dusty conditions, then Marumi DHG(more expensive) is a better bet. All will cause flare in some conditions, but MC filters control flare the most
Old 15th December 2011, 15:19   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....if you are shooting in dusty conditions, then Marumi DHG(more expensive) is a better bet. All will cause flare in some conditions, but MC filters control flare the most
Hood is already there, that can not protect from dust. Just saw your 67mm sale notification, any chance you can stretch them to 77 ?
Old 15th December 2011, 15:37   #8989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hood is already there, that can not protect from dust. Just saw your 67mm sale notification, any chance you can stretch them to 77 ?
LOL, I wish. Strechable gelatin filters. But unfortunately, they stay at 67mm only.
Speaking of dust, lenses have no dust issues. Only issue can be front glass damage in duststorm, sea-spray kind of scenarios.
Only problem, while cleaning, dust can scratch front element. But careful cleaning takes care of that problem.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:00   #8990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you actually want protection while shooting, go for a lens hood.
I think a lens hood is a must with every single lens. Not only for outdoor but for indoor shoot too.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:15   #8991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....lenses have no dust issues....while cleaning, dust can scratch front element. But careful cleaning takes care of that problem.
Agree, the scratch potential is what made me think of UVs. Better to scratch the filter than risking the nano coated glass (wow, my car is a Nano and my lenses are coated in Nano) ! I have an in-built dust sensor in my body, I start sneezing in dusty atmosphere (this technology is called Isnophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I think a lens hood is a must with every single lens. Not only for outdoor but for indoor shoot too.
Yea Guruji, I keep them fitted on lens in the bag too ! Its always ON.

Last edited by shajufx : 15th December 2011 at 16:16.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:08   #8992
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know the current price of Nikon D3100, with the scenario of the falling prices in rupee?

Cheers!
Old 16th December 2011, 11:47   #8993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good you are seeing the wisdom of using filters to protect the front element. While hoods may do the job of protecting from some types of physical damage and shielding from flare, dust or finger prints on the front element are a pain to clean and something I would much rather prevent than take the risk of scratching the element. BTW, the nano coat is on the inside of only one of the elements. The front element is generally Nikon SIC

I'd recommend B+W (XS Pro, UV/Haze MRC) Hoya (UV/protector HD or SHMC), or Kenko, all in order of preference. Marumi DHGs are good too. I use Hoya HDs on ALL lenses that can take filters.

Now that you have some pro glass and intend making money out of your kit, get the best filters you can afford, size being equal filters can be used literally forever even if you change lenses, (of course that's provided the new lens has the same diameter filter size). I see them as a long term investments just like tripods/ball heads. Pro lenses mostly take 77mm filters, for e.g. the 24-70 F/2.8 and 70-200 F/2.8, 85mm F/1.4 etc. Get a filter ASAP for the lense you will use frequently - in my case it is mainly the 24-70 2.8G and 50mm 1.4G.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th December 2011 at 11:49.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:10   #8994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Does anyone know the current price of Nikon D3100, with the scenario of the falling prices in rupee?

Cheers!
last week it was 29,950 at croma jp nagar.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:27   #8995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Good you are seeing the wisdom of using filters to protect the front element.....I'd recommend B+W (XS Pro, UV/Haze MRC) Hoya (UV/protector HD or SHMC), or Kenko, all in order of preference......
Yes sirji, so far it was not a concern as none of my lenses fell into the PRO class Now I need to protect the 24-70 and 70-200 both with 77mm. 50mm has a Hoya Pro1D (58mm) on it and 105 has a Hoya HMC (62mm). I think availability part, Kenko takes the preference as I can order them from smartshoppers, which reaches home in 48 hours.

About the 24-70, I need to cross check if the cheaper Kenko will increase the vignetting issue. In that case only choice would be Hoya Pro1D.
Old 16th December 2011, 12:42   #8996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sirji, so far it was not a concern as none of my lenses fell into the PRO class Now I need to protect the 24-70 and 70-200 both with 77mm. 50mm has a Hoya Pro1D (58mm) on it and 105 has a Hoya HMC (62mm). I think availability part, Kenko takes the preference as I can order them from smartshoppers, which reaches home in 48 hours.

About the 24-70, I need to cross check if the cheaper Kenko will increase the vignetting issue. In that case only choice would be Hoya Pro1D.
Absolutely, getting serious glass is a trigger to get filters. If you recall earlier this year, my search for good quality filters started only after I began building up my lens collection with some high end glass. I started off with Hoya HMC (had posted about that), read about Hoya HD on the 'net and went in for what is arguably one of the best filters (toughened glass and multicoated plus slim frame so no vignetting) for its price. B+W was frankly out of my reach.
I completely forgot about the Hoya Pro1D collection, They're supposedly better than S/HMCs for digital sensors. Kenko is really good too if that suits. Either way, get a good quality multicoated filter on pronto. I use the hood off and on, simply because it makes an already large lens for e.g. the 24-70 look even bigger and draws the attention (mostly unwelcome) of those around you to it. IMHO large and imposing lenses make your subject more camera-conscious and they lose that natural 'unposed' look which I want.

Good luck with your search! Do let us know what you finally wind up with.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:15   #8997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Do let us know what you finally wind up with.
Just placed the order for Kenko Pro1D UV filters, its 1745 for 77mm, hope its not very cheap nor expensive for basic protection. I had a 82mm Cokin UV filter, thought of using it with a filter adapter, but gave up the plan after matching it with the lens front, as it might hinder the hood lock. Now 82mm is for sale !
Old 16th December 2011, 15:14   #8998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just placed the order for Kenko Pro1D UV filters, its 1745 for 77mm, hope its not very cheap nor expensive for basic protection. I had a 82mm Cokin UV filter, thought of using it with a filter adapter, but gave up the plan after matching it with the lens front, as it might hinder the hood lock. Now 82mm is for sale !
That's a good deal. I think Pro1D @ Rs 1700-1800 is the 'sweet spot'. They'll do the job perfectly till you get the itch to upgrade 'em.

Regards,
Old 16th December 2011, 15:27   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a good deal....They'll do the job perfectly till you get the itch to upgrade .....
I felt the same about price. Kenko zeta version UV 77mm is selling for 6k+ on Flipkart. I really dont want to spend that kind for a UV filter. About the itch part, I already got 'itchguard', so no more issues
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-itchguard.jpg  

Old 17th December 2011, 10:21   #9000
Senior - BHPian

IMHO UV filters are not needed in the digital world. As Rudra rightly pointed out, use the lens hood its more than enough. I don't understand the logic of plonking another piece of glass in front of really good glass and not expect flare, decreased sharpness and vignetting issues. If you only want to ensure protection from elements, a cheap one will do which should be removed before shooting. Any way the front element can easily withstand a lot more abuse than we can imagine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks