Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 11:33   #7681
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You are the first one to give a positive feedback although I posted it in few places, thanks for that. In fact its a test shot (so it was posted here), my first attempt on filter vs long exposure. Learning is anyway fun

Its sankey tank, Bangalore around 7pm (you can see the park lights are all ON), taken with a 20mm lens at f/16, ISO-100, 20 seconds. ND16 and CPL used. I assume it would have given 30 secs at f/22. Preparation part is nothing as I am still on the stage of 'shoot whatever comes' on the way Somehow I felt this particular spot was the best for this test. Things for a long exposure:
1) Fully charged battery (it drains out faster)
2) Rock steady tripod (I hung my camera bag on its hook)
3) Preferably faster memory card
4) View finder closing piece (D700 has a built-in metal curtain)
5) Self timer shutter release to avoid shakes.

Similar water effect also can be attained without filters, that needs a darker surrounding or moon lit sky. But the usual blue hour shots are easy to handle with filters. I want to try longer exposures above 30 secs, but not possible without a cable release as one has to keep pressing the button on bulb mode with a timer in hand.
I have a cheap duplicate of the Canon TC 80 N3 I picked up from linkdelight.com for about 1200, have been using it for timelapse videos and it works as it should.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:33   #7682
Senior - BHPian

How about a simple remote? Wont that suffice the purpose? It's much cheaper. Only problem I can envisage is that of line of sight. Well, you don't have to be in front of lens and not far from the camera.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:35   #7683
BHPian

Quote:
You are the first one to give a positive feedback although I posted it in few places, thanks for that. In fact its a test shot (so it was posted here), my first attempt on filter vs long exposure. Learning is anyway fun ...
Please don't be offended, but there are a lot of issues with the photo But then, everybody's a critic :P
Old 31st May 2011, 11:46   #7684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
How about a simple remote? Wont that suffice the purpose? It's much cheaper. Only problem I can envisage is that of line of sight. Well, you don't have to be in front of lens and not far from the camera.
Well Simple remote ( IR or wired ) will work till the max allowed time limit for bulb mode by the body, but it does not work for following cases.

1. You prepare a setup , check the sunset time and decide to shoot exactly at that moment which may be 45min 36 seconds from now , you need a long timer.
2. You want to make a time lapsed video of cloud movement from 7AM to 7PM with one shot every 10 mts.

3. You want to see a seed germinate and a plant grow out of it in the span of 3 days.

4. Want to shoot a clock tower with surroundings with hands at 10"10 position but do not want to wait for it.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:53   #7685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are the first one to give a positive feedback although I posted it in few places, thanks for that. In fact its a test shot (so it was posted here), my first attempt on filter vs long exposure. Learning is anyway fun
Its indeed a great shot . I will see where I can buy the filters. Ebay says pricing in between 150-500/-.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:58   #7686
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Please don't be offended, but there are a lot of issues with the photo
Comments such as this does not serve any purpose, and in my opinion are better avoided.

If instead, you can list those issues, there can be some discussion on those, and in the end those following the discussion would possibly end up learning something.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:59   #7687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't be offended, but there are a lot of issues with the photo ....
I am not a professional photographer to get offended and any comments with the words "GOOD" or "BEST" does not bring any money too !! Feel free to comment may be through PM, so we dont go off-topic here. Lets talk more about DSLR body, lenses, accessories etc. here than discussing a test image ! Those images were posted here as a reply to the ND/CPL discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well Simple remote ( IR or wired ) will work till the max allowed time limit for bulb mode by the body.....
IR Remote will work exactly as the release button on the camera (but pressing and holding may be a big question mark). I am not sure about the wired remote, need to check that out. I was not referring to interval timer shoots, D700 already has that feature built-in the menu. Earlier reference is only about the "BULB" mode which needs the button to be pressed as long as you want the shutter to be kept open.

As far as I understand, one needs to press and hold even the wired remote for the required time, except the ones which comes with a timer on it, which off-course will be expensive.

Last edited by shajufx : 31st May 2011 at 12:03.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:14   #7688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26

Well Simple remote ( IR or wired ) will work till the max allowed time limit for bulb mode by the body, but it does not work for following cases.
I agree with you. But I was referring to the shake caused by pressing the button. You can overcome the shake by using a remote.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:15   #7689
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on used lenses in Mumbai? Looking to pick up a decent Nikkor 105mm Macro lens.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:33   #7690
BHPian

Wired remotes usually have a way to lock the shutter for use with bulb mode so that you don't have to keep holding it (at least in Canon), the interval timer also includes this.

@Neoonwheels: Don't buy those filters, they're not worth it. A good 58 mm CPL (Hoya, Kenko, Tiffen etc.) would cost you around 4-5k.

@akp: You need to chill out, but since you asked so politely:

1: The Horizon is centred and tilted to one side.
2: There is no point/object of interest in the photo.
3: The cloud details could have been interesting, but you just can't make them out.

@Shaju - apologies once again, didn't want to do this
Old 31st May 2011, 12:54   #7691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1: The Horizon is centred and tilted to one side.
2: There is no point/object of interest in the photo.
3: The cloud details could have been interesting, but you just can't make them out.
Thanks for your time. Let me clarify, horizon is not tilted, I used the built-in 'virtual horizon' to position the cam on tripod, opposite side of the lake is not even, left portion is projecting ahead. Object of interest is the silky water and the roof inside (duck house) which comes in the one-third point. Cloud pattern is of no importance here, but you can still see an orange vertical line that reflects on the water too. After all its a test shot, nothing was expected than the frozen water, got all others as bonus. I find it as a happy start to my next 3 months experiments...
Old 31st May 2011, 13:03   #7692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IR Remote will work exactly as the release button on the camera (but pressing and holding may be a big question mark). I am not sure about the wired remote, need to check that out. I was not referring to interval timer shoots, D700 already has that feature built-in the menu. Earlier reference is only about the "BULB" mode which needs the button to be pressed as long as you want the shutter to be kept open.

As far as I understand, one needs to press and hold even the wired remote for the required time, except the ones which comes with a timer on it, which off-course will be expensive.
Shaju at-least in Canon there is no need to press the button and hold it down , first press for shutter open and subsequent press to close is how it operates in bulb mode. As far as I know it is same in case of Nikons so do check.

Good think is that I made remote shutter release out of a old unused hands-free kit and it works just fine because Canon uses a 2.5mm jack for remote release.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:08   #7693
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that there are many people here doing street photography.
What are the settings gentlemen are using?
I am thinking of starting out in P mode with auto ISO.
Yeah it is simple but I am a simple mind too.

How do you guys get rid of Auto Focus lag. Anyway to fix the focus say at a distance of 3 feet to infinity? Specifically in LX3?
Old 31st May 2011, 13:20   #7694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Shaju at-least in Canon there is no need to press the button and hold it down , first press for shutter open and subsequent press to close is how it operates in bulb mode....
Amit are you sure ? I thought of the same until I took my D90 to the Mumbai beaches and tried a long exposure in bulb mode last month. It needs to be pressed and held for the time duration needed. Your comment makes me feel that Canon has some lock-in feature in bulb mode. Nikon does not have it, atleast in D60, D90 and D700. I rechecked D700 before posting now, button needs to be held down.

Please re-check your canon, if its true, it is a lovely feature to have for long exposures, avoids camera shake and a frozen hand
Old 31st May 2011, 14:03   #7695
Senior - BHPian

I think 30 sec is more than enough one needs !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks