Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 14:20   #7651
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Also DPP does not provide the free hand cropping, you need to select the available cropping dimension from the drop down.
Are you very sure about it? I don't remember facing this issue at all.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:41   #7652
Senior - BHPian

Ahh.

Workflow.

A very very noob question: "What is a workflow?"

When I am on Linux, I open DigiKam, scroll to my RAW image, right click, choose RAW editor, do my settings, press the GIMP button, finish on GIMP and save to high quality JPEG. Donning my consultant hat, there is an approval at most steps. This means my entire activity is a 'workflow'.

Or am I missing something?
Old 27th May 2011, 14:49   #7653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Yes Rudhra, I am using latest DPP comes with Canon 1100D. Also, my Photoshop Element 9 does not support the RAW image from Canon 1100D, so to crop free hand, I have to convert my RAW files to TIFF to use it with PSE. So I have to follow long process just to crop the image, thats why I remember it well.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:50   #7654
Team-BHP Support

Thats what even I mean by it. Even I use DigiKam. Only issue is they dont store/save the Queues! I was hoping LR/Aperture will have something like that. Very effective.

Batch mode in DPP can used for the current selection of snaps. But you cannot save the "common" operation as a set of stitched tasks. (Which I think a future of DigiKam will handle)
Old 27th May 2011, 15:02   #7655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Rudhra, I am using latest DPP comes with Canon 1100D. Also, my Photoshop Element 9 does not support the RAW image from Canon 1100D, so to crop free hand, I have to convert my RAW files to TIFF
This cannot be the case. The DPP cropping comes with different preset ration but the drop down has an option for free cropping. Let me check today with the updated DPP and confirm.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:03   #7656
Senior - BHPian

Okay. Now. What are Queues?
Old 27th May 2011, 15:09   #7657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Ahh.

Workflow.

A very very noob question: "What is a workflow?"

When I am on Linux, I open DigiKam, scroll to my RAW image, right click, choose RAW editor, do my settings, press the GIMP button, finish on GIMP and save to high quality JPEG. Donning my consultant hat, there is an approval at most steps. This means my entire activity is a 'workflow'.

Or am I missing something?
LOL By workflow I mean a series of operations to achieve something in the photo not in terms of approvals like in business workflow.

For example for correcting skin blemish and pimple marks in a portrait.
1. Open Image and create a duplicate layer.
2. Select the skin area by choosing the color range and then grow the selection by selecting similar .
3. crop the selected portion.
4. Apply Gaussian blur may be around 5% ( or depending on how bad the skin is)
5. Blend the layer with bottom layer to the desired percentage to get smooth silky skin
6. Flatten the image and save as jpeg.

This is doable in either GIMP or Photoshop or any other layer based processing software but usually these series of operations for common tasks are given in terms of Photoshop menu choices so becomes difficult for noob to translate the equivalents in GIMP.

PS : Try the above workflow , if you use higher amount of blurr Ompuri's cheeks can also look like Katreena Kaifs.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th May 2011 at 15:11.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:35   #7658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I also am able to select any rectangular shape for cropping. Of course there is an option to lock aspect ratio
Old 27th May 2011, 16:25   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Wow, wow, wow, looks like I am the only person around here who does not go through all these painful processes of workflow, cues and stuff

Mine is a simple PS CS4 and it does everything for me. But I know only the buttons to resize, sharpen, exposure/brightness control and thats it. Layer pattern and editing is still a strange word to me although I am trying to know about it. I tried some cloud manipulation and failed miserably twice ! So, getting a CPL and trying to do things while shooting itself. Also have taken a decision to straightaway delete images that are not worth looking a second time !

I just got my Sandisk extreme 16 GB CF Card from smartshoppers (4k). Its my first time online experience with them as my previous purchases were direct pick up (70-200 and 2X tele). It came by Aramex, and I must say, it was a pleasant buying experience. It costed me lower than B&H and Adorama
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 16:56   #7660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Okay. Now. What are Queues?

Just as Amit explained, in DigiKam if you opt for Tools-> Batch Queue Manager, it opens up a queue manager window.
In this window you can sequence set of actions on a collection of snap in a batch mode.

A simple example can be: Do basic white balance, resize, apply border, manage exif details, add watermark and save to jpg.
(See Attached snapshot below)

These are some simple routine things, which you dont want to repeat for each photo.
So you can sequence this "queue" (If I may call it) and apply this to a selection of snaps.

And even in future if you dont want to create this chain again, you should be able to save that sequence into a file/queue
which you should be able to invoke at a later point in time to be applied to an another set of snaps.
(This I think is not available in DigiKam, It is a fairly obvious enhancement which may roll in soon as per my guess)

The DSLR Thread-q.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2011 at 17:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:03   #7661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Wow, wow, wow, looks like I am the only person around here who does not go through all these painful processes of workflow, cues and stuff
Perhaps you never had task at hand to make Om Puri look like Katrina
Old 27th May 2011, 20:20   #7662
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Rudhra, I am using latest DPP comes with Canon 1100D. Also, my Photoshop Element 9 does not support the RAW image from Canon 1100D, so to crop free hand, I have to convert my RAW files to TIFF to use it with PSE. So I have to follow long process just to crop the image, thats why I remember it well.
Of course you can crop any which way you want (as long as it is rectangular) in DPP - click on "Start trimming/angle adjustment tool" under "tools" menu.

(I use DPP on a MAC - I hope DPP for windows has the same tools and menus)

Last edited by akp : 27th May 2011 at 20:30.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:08   #7663
BHPian

Quote:
I am extremely sorry for creating here confusion, what I am missing is the maintaining aspect ratio of the image while cropping, not the free cropping.

The DSLR Thread-1.jpg

I need to convert the image to TIFF only to edit in PSE for exposure.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:49   #7664
akp
BHPian

Quote:
I am extremely sorry for creating here confusion, what I am missing is the maintaining aspect ratio of the image while cropping, not the free cropping.
For that, choose the "custom" option and put in the numbers you want. And then crop using your mouse. An easy way to type in the aspect ratio of your present image would be to, say, if your image is 4752 x 3168, type 475 and 317 (or 475.2 and 316.2 if you want to be very accurate) and then proceed with cropping.
akp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 00:56   #7665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
This comes when I am planning to buy D-90 right after my exams, in a month.
Fret not it'll still shoot as well ! Also, the D7000 price dropped by 10k on Nikon India site. It was 74450 earlier, now it's 64450. If your budget can accommodate the D7000 after the price revision , .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks