Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2022, 16:51   #15151
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Now that we are discussing mobile vs DSLR again, i have a question for all folks here. Is there a genuine telephoto lens kit for mobile phones. I keep seeing some which claim 24X to 40X zoom - great for scenic photos, sports etc. Me and missus are planning to go to Kashmir during Christmas. Missus wants me to leave the DSLR as we might be roughing it out and with a kid our luggage is going to be quite large.

Any suggestions on potential solutions for telephoto lens for mobiles. Both of us have an iphone 13. So something that is compatible would help
I have heard about them and seen them on the youtube thumbnails but never used any.
However I just wish to provide some clarification on the zoom characteristic of a lense.

The zoom is calculated by simply dividing the max focal length by the minimum focal length of the lense.

Lets take the most common lense -18-55mm lense for understanding.
55 / 18 = 3.055

So, an 18-55mm lense an be called as a 3x zoom lense.

A high zoom factor such as 24x or 40x does not really determine how close you would get to the object.

Again, the sensor of the camera plays a very important role. A crop sensor camera's image already seems to be zoomed in compared to the full frame camera as the sensor is, cropped.

Now, what is a focal length, like 18mm, 55mm, this is how far is the lense from the sensor.

Coming to a mobile camera, the the physical lense cannot be that far from the sensor, so these are more or less heavily processed images,

So if you're looking at a 24x zoom lense or a 40x zoom lense for the mobile, check the focal length. I presume that the calculation they follow would be same as DSLR, however due to the compact size the nearest focal length would be way lesser (may be a couple of mm).
So, if at the nearest point the lense is say 2mm from the sensor, at 40x it should be 80mm from the sensor. I find it difficult to believe that the lense would be 8cm away from the sensor in these mobile camera.

All said and done, I do not want to discourage you from acquiring it. You are the best judge of what you want and I would urge you to try it out. Photography is more about experimenting rather than following some set rules.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 18:04   #15152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I have heard about them and seen them on the Youtube thumbnails but never used any.
However I just wish to provide some clarification on the zoom characteristic of a lense.
Best to buy a bridge camera so you will get good zoom and also lovely pics.

Last edited by ampere : 21st November 2022 at 05:53. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 19:28   #15153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
All said and done, I do not want to discourage you from acquiring it. You are the best judge of what you want and I would urge you to try it out. Photography is more about experimenting rather than following some set rules.
Thanks for the inputs. I tend to agree. Currently i have a Sony Alpha 58 with an 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens. I am thinking that this should suffice. Since missus insists that the iPhone 13 has a better camera was wondering if there is any good lens.

Anyways, if there is something let me know. Happy missus means a happy vacation
Old 20th November 2022, 10:46   #15154
Senior - BHPian

Folks, do you know of a good Photography enthusiasts group or association in Pune which one can join for week-end/hobby photography activities ? I have looked up and found a couple of names like Photographic Society of Pune or Pixavince Creations. But I would like to hear from within our BHP community first !
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 01:58   #15155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Folks, do you know of a good Photography enthusiasts group or association in Pune which one can join for week-end/hobby photography activities ? I have looked up and found a couple of names like Photographic Society of Pune or Pixavince Creations. But I would like to hear from within our BHP community first !
I own a Nikon camera and the Nikon School platform offers a plethora of photo walks, workshops and tours. It was always a great experience in all of their events. Most of the times the money charged are nominal and they end up paying a major part of the cost as a part of brand promotion. Do check if any such activities are happening in your town. All camera owners are welcome, Nikon gear users get a small discount

https://www.nikonschool.in/

The DSLR Thread-ns_photowalk.jpg

The DSLR Thread-ns_potrait.jpg

The DSLR Thread-ns_landscape.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_2537.jpg

The DSLR Thread-ns_fashion.jpg

Name:  Nikon.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  47.3 KB

The DSLR Thread-img_1917.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0026.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0076.jpg

You can also group up with some of your friends and hire a studio and get a model friend for a shoot. Like I did with Bhpian Samba:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sambas...57631958851743

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0028.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0135.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0067.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0050.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 15:43   #15156
BHPian

Guys one help.

I want to upgrade the memory cards on my Nikon D7000. D7000 supports two memory cards and currently 32GB and 16GB are installed. Both are rated at 45mbps.
I bought these cards some 10 years ago and it is outdated by today's speeds.

I want to update to 64GB x 2 (if max supported memory is 128GB) with increased read write speed like 170 or 200mbps.

Will the camera can take these memory cards? Are there any limitations on speed also?

Name:  20221126_153617.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  58.1 KB

I am planning to buy 2 of this card:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...WI0VEHLG&psc=1

Edit:
The manual says up to 64GB Sandisk is supported. That means both slots on the camera supports 64GB each or both slots combined support a maximum of 64GB?

The DSLR Thread-nikon-d7000-memory-card.png

Last edited by amvj : 26th November 2022 at 15:57.
Old 27th November 2022, 10:26   #15157
BHPian

https://photonstophotos.net/

I came across this interesting website where you can see the noise level of the cameras across the various ISO and you can compare it with other cameras as well. Interestingly, on newer cameras, the noise actually reduces slightly after certain ISOs and then increases. It is not a gradual, steady increase in newer cameras. Which means you can shoot those cameras in those particular high ISO with a noise similar to ISO 100. Please check the below video for more info.

The DSLR Thread-0.png

The DSLR Thread-1.png

The DSLR Thread-2.png

More info:

Last edited by amvj : 27th November 2022 at 10:32.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 11:17   #15158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys one help.

I want to upgrade the memory cards on my Nikon D7000. D7000 supports two memory cards and currently 32GB and 16GB are installed. Both are rated at 45mbps.
For everything related to DSLR you can try this site as have been getting products and very fast delivery. Also you can call and they reply to your queries.

SD Cards - Memory Cards - Accessories - VideoLinks™
ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 18:41   #15159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys one help.

I want to update to 64GB x 2 (if max supported memory is 128GB) with increased read write speed like 170 or 200mbps.

Edit:
The manual says up to 64GB Sandisk is supported. That means both slots on the camera supports 64GB each or both slots combined support a maximum of 64GB?

Attachment 2384117
I guess that D7000 is more advanced than my D3300. I use 32GB cards. My take on SD cards is :

1. High speed is required for Video. Even shooting at full speed (upto 10/sec) will hardly stress 45 MB/S cards.

2. I generally do not like large capacity cards as any error in the card can wipe out a lot of images. In my case a 32GB card can hold at least 1,500 images, and I prefer to use more cards rather than one large card.

3. I just bought 2 x 32GB SD cards for 900 on Amazon (down from 2K each seven years ago). So go for 4 or more 32GB cards rather one large 64/128G one.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 22:43   #15160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I guess that D7000 is more advanced than my D3300. I use 32GB cards. My take on SD cards is :

I generally do not like large capacity cards as any error in the card can wipe out a lot of images. In my case a 32GB card can hold at least 1,500 images, and I prefer to use more cards rather than one large card.
So go for 4 or more 32GB cards rather one large 64/128G one.
A lot depends on the mode you are shooting -
*if jpeg then there are three sizes S/M/L.
*if NEF(Raw) then more data is added
so better to go for 64/128 GB rather than small capacity ones. Also nowadays the new cards get less corrupted.

I am using Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro since last two years and have 4 cards and also 32GB CF cards of Sandisk.
ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 00:11   #15161
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm currently taking Sony's jpeg extra fine with file of sizes of <hmm, checks typical directory> 9-16Mb. The raw files on my camera (Sony a6500 APS-C), if I remember correctly, are 25Mb.

I have a 128Gb card, it is at least as old as the camera. I just use it until it is full. Then I delete some earliest stuff and carry on until a convenient month start (so my camera directory names stay consistent) and format it.

The shutter count on the camera is over 61,000 and it is nearly four years old. I think I may have used the same card in my other camera before this.

So far, so good... <fingers crossed>

But assuming no travel (only 8 days away from home in the past three years) I upload to the computer every day that I use the camera, so data loss would be the same if it was an 8Gb card.

Each to their own, and let everyone do only what they are comfortable with. My next camera might have dual card slots. But then, it is only a twinkle in my eye at this time, and the money to spend on it is just a dream
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 09:41   #15162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
A lot depends on the mode you are shooting -
*if jpeg then there are three sizes S/M/L.
*if NEF(Raw) then more data is added
so better to go for 64/128 GB rather than small capacity ones. Also nowadays the new cards get less corrupted.

I am using Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro since last two years and have 4 cards and also 32GB CF cards of Sandisk.
I always shoot in RAW, around 22MB per image.

For last three days I was attending marriage of our friend's son. I ultimately managed to shoot 1,600+ images. Total 36GB. Spread that over 4 32GB cards (an overkill) for 128GB capacity.

So unless you are shooting HD movies, a few 32GB cards are enough. 64GB is nice to have, but do you ever fill them up (unless you are professional photographer)?

Things start changing with the newer cameras. They have higher burst rates and higher video resolution - 4K. Now these eat up card space at an unprecedented rate. So higher capacity is recommended.

Regarding card speeds, that is mostly useful for downloading and not for sustained shooting. For example if you shoot 20 fps RAW (very few cameras are that capable) your throughput will be 20 x 25 MB/s = 500 MB/s and none of the normal cards have that speed. At 10fps it is 250 MB/s even that is too fast. In general the camera card write speed is the limit. For max card speed you have to check the camera specifications.

https://www.scantips.com/lights/cardspeed.html
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 23:11   #15163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I always shoot in RAW, around 22MB per image.

For last three days I was attending marriage of our friend's son. I ultimately managed to shoot 1,600+ images. Total 36GB. Spread that over 4 32GB cards (an overkill) for 128GB capacity.

So unless you are shooting HD movies, a few 32GB cards are enough. 64GB is nice to have, but do you ever fill them up (unless you are professional photographer)?
*Thanks for the info about cards.
*I shoot in both JPEG and RAW since have Canon EOS 7D mkII and am not a professional photographer. But in my photographic group which has both professional(Nikon & Canon) and amateurs like me(mine is a hobby) many have have lost pictures as the card gets filled up and precious moments(photographic) are lost while you change the card so everyone uses a higher capacity card.
*For my 64 GB to fill up yes it does get filled up when we go for bird photography or while photographing the milky way.
Old 29th November 2022, 10:40   #15164
BHPian

I serviced my Nikon D7000 camera and lens (70-300mm, 35mm, 18-55mm) at Mata Electronics, S P road, Bangalore. The camera had auto focus issue which has been fixed as well. Bill came around Rs: 10450 out of which 3600 was service charge.

The main Nikon Service centre, Bangalore washed off their hands stating this is an old model and cannot do much. However, these guys are able to do it. My only gripe was, I asked them to replace the LCD screen, but they forgot to do it. Nikon D7000 LCD screen costs Rs: 4800.

The service guy asked me to not keep the camera in the cupboard to avoid fungus in the future and so I am keeping them facing the window so that the sun will shine on them. Also, he mentioned that LCD will eventually die if we don't use the camera. So he asked me to use the camera, lens, charge the batteries frequently.

If you want to see the fungus on the lens:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4989239 (The DSLR Thread)

Please excuse the dirt on the lens. It is the UV filter that is dirty. I have ordered new lens filter and they are on the way.

The DSLR Thread-1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-3.jpg

SP road is full of PC, laptop, mobile repair and camera repair shops. Venture carefully in those areas.

Tiny shop
The DSLR Thread-4.jpg

Absolutely no place to park the car. Better to go using public transport or taxi.

The DSLR Thread-5.jpg

The DSLR Thread-6.jpg

Last edited by amvj : 29th November 2022 at 10:50.
Old 29th November 2022, 10:55   #15165
Team-BHP Support

Having this etch to get into something, I primarily looked at some models of Cannon and Sony. Sony probably has the best AI and a cheaper/ wider range of lenses, but this new Cannon model looks nice.

I want to stick with still pictures, wildlife and nature, and this might be overkill (by large), but hey, even these guys list their products for enthusiasts

R6II camera.
USM Kit: Rs 343995
STM Kit: Rs 271995

24-105 Lens

Canon scheme on both INR 18,000 off plus 1-year extra warranty.

Should I go with STM, or is it worth considering USM? Are there any discounts on such products, and if yes, then how much should I ask, considering it's a fairly new product?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks