Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 17:02   #15196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swparth18 View Post

Also, I did look into entry-level mirrorless cameras with APSC sensor's well. XT-3, Sony A6400, Nikon z50 and Canon EOS R50. Nikon gives the best kit lens combination with NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR + NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR Lens as compared to others. This makes it very easy for first-time buyers.
I would flip this challenge around. Look at the lens availability and selection first. Bodies come and go. Lenses live on.

Canon's EF/EF-S lenses are an option if you are on a budget. With an adapter, they will work on an R10 (which I would recommend over the R50). As you have already learned, the other alternates are Fuji, Sony and Nikon.

Unlike Canon, Nikon and Sony, Fuji is wholly committed to APS-C (the others also sell 35mm, aka "full-frame"). Fuji's native prime lens selection is vast and affordable, and Sigma makes a troika (16/1.4, 30/1.4 and 56/1.4) as well (Sigma also makes this set for Nikon, Sony, and Canon's now "dead" EF-M line).

Affordable Fuji lenses:
FUJIFILM XF 35mm f/2 R WR
FUJIFILM XF 16mm f/2.8 R WR
FUJIFILM XF 50mm f/2 R WR
FUJIFILM XF 23mm f/2 R WR
FUJIFILM XF 27mm f/2.8 PANCAKE
FUJIFILM XF 18mm f/2 R PANCAKE
FUJIFILM XF 23mm f/2 R WR
And some more expensive ones like these:
FUJIFILM XF 35mm f/1.4 R
FUJIFILM XF 23mm f/1.4 R
FUJIFILM XF 16mm f/1.4 R WR
FUJIFILM XF 56mm f/1.2 R

Choose your lenses first, then choose a body that works with your choice of lenses. For example, Canon's new RF line has only 3 APS-C lenses (although you can use EF-S and EF glass), and Canon seems to be releasing more RF (full-frame) equipment (bodies and glass) than APS-C. Sony has some excellent glass and many 3rd-party alternates, but native Sony glass is not cheap. Nikon's Z system is also relatively new.

Disclaimer: I use Canon.

Last edited by navin : 29th March 2023 at 17:12.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 18:56   #15197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Unlike Canon, Nikon and Sony, Fuji is wholly committed to APS-C (the others also sell 35mm, aka "full-frame").
I can't comment on Sony's commitment to APS-C; I am one of those people eagerly awaiting the next model and wondering if it will ever happen. However they certainly do make APS-C-specific lenses, as do Sigma.

An advantage of E-mount is that all the lenses work on both full-frame and aps-c. On full frame, aps-c lenses do not fill the sensor: they will be cropped. On the other hand, there is no downside to using full-frame lenses on aps-c cameras. Except that they will be larger, heavier and probably more expensive than a made-for-aps-c model.

One can say that Sony APS-C cameras have a huge range of available lenses, made by Sony and others. All the available E-mount lenses, both aps-c and FF.

I am contemplating adding a full-frame camera to my kit --- and slightly regretting that only two of my lenses are FF.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 13:59   #15198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On the other hand, there is no downside to using full-frame lenses on aps-c cameras. Except that they will be larger, heavier and probably more expensive than a made-for-aps-c model.
Full-Frame, in my view, is overkill for 99% of us who don't need very high resolution or won't crop images drastically. MFT (4/3) and APS-C (3/2) are good enough.

A camera that is heavy is less likely to be carried. A camera that is not carried won't be able to take pictures. In that sense, the best camera we all possess is a small device that also makes phone calls and allows us to access emails and Whatsapp messages.

Sony makes several light lenses. I don't go birding, so I won't know about longer glass, but this is what I found:
Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS
Sony E 10-20mm f/4 PZ
Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS
Sony E 11mm f/1.8
Sony E 15mm f/1.4 G
Sony E 16mm f/2.8
Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS
Of these, only the 55-210 is over 250gms, and only the Sony E 15mm f/1.4 G, Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS, and Sony E 10-20mm f/4 PZ can be considered expensive (over Rs. 50k).

Last edited by navin : 30th March 2023 at 14:03.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 14:56   #15199
Senior - BHPian

I'm embarking on a 9 day Birding trip to Upper Assam and Arunachal tomorrow and for the first time in a very long time, I am not carrying any other lens except my 150-600, especially not carrying any Landscape lens. I'm sick of the pain involved in unpacking, repacking all these lenses at Airport security. This time landscape duties are relegated to the S23 Ultra. Let's see how it goes.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:22   #15200
BHPian

DSLR experts need your help!

This has been my setup for the last decade:
1. Canon 60D
2. Tamron 70-200 f2.8
3. Canon 50mm 1.8 STM

Of late I have been facing the following issues with the camera, not sure if it is an inbound camera issue or some other issue. Wanted to check with you guys.

1. AF issues. Generally I get a quick lock on the subject while shooting with both the lenses. Of late I have been observing that the AF lock is taking some time and at the time when the lock happens, I notice that it would have moved. I have tried multiple options including the tripod and clicking with a 2 second timer, but none seems to work. I believe it could be the shake coming from the Lens motors, but I have serviced both my lenses and they are working perfectly fine.

2. Clarity: Maybe on account of the above point, I am not getting good clarity output, I always see some sort of haze or pixelation of the image. I have tried multiple setting changes and even went back to factory settings and started all over again, but still the issue persists.

I suspect the AF in the body may not be working properly, but I took it to authorized Canon service center recently and got to know that Canon has stopped support for 60D bodies. So I don't have an option to check out if there is an issue too.

Am attaching a few photographs for better understanding. All the images were captured handheld

The DSLR Thread-common-sparrow.jpg

The DSLR Thread-img_0661.jpg
This is an old image, I don't get images of this clarity anymore. Yes this was taken with a different lens, but still there cannot be too big a gap in terms of quality between glasses

The DSLR Thread-zoey-monday1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-yumm-what-feast1.jpg

The image above was captured in fading light and I haven't made any adjustments post. Still when I captured the camera was still and I ensured I compensated with slightly higher shutter speed
Old 30th March 2023, 16:40   #15201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
DSLR experts need your help!

This has been my setup for the last decade:
1. Canon 60D
2. Tamron 70-200 f2.8
3. Canon 50mm 1.8 STM

Of late I have been facing the following issues with the camera, not sure if it is an inbound camera issue or some other issue. Wanted to check with you guys.

1. AF issues.

2. Clarity:
Experts I am also in the same situation. I am a noob in photography and my humble setup is :

1. Nikon D5300 body
2. Nikon 18-200 mm ED VRII Lens

In past one year, I have noticed that focus is not sharp. Had given camera and lens to Nikon service centre for re-calibration. They say all is ok, but photos are still not sharp.

May be I am doing something wrong. Seek your inputs.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 23:48   #15202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sony makes several light lenses...
My current photography exploits started with am a6000+two-kit-lenses.

The 16-55 and the 55-210 were the two kit lenses. I don't really recommend either of them, although I've seen others get some good results. One decent, fast "standard" lens would have served me better to begin with. 50mm for full-frame or 30/35ish for apsc.

Last edited by navin : 31st March 2023 at 11:35. Reason: typo
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 07:51   #15203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My current photography exploits started with am a6000+two-kit-lenses.

The 16-505 and the 55-210 were the two kit lenses. I don't really recommend either of them, although I've seen others get some good results. One decent, fast "standard" lens would have served me better to begin with. 50mm for full-frame or 30/35ish for apsc.
Maybe the Sigma 30mm f/1.4! I have both of the above with the Alpha 6000. Not happy. Yet to try wide aperture glass. So expensive.
Old 31st March 2023, 11:27   #15204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Experts I am also in the same situation. I am a noob in photography and my humble setup is :

1. Nikon D5300 body

In past one year, I have noticed that focus is not sharp. Had given camera and lens to Nikon service centre for re-calibration. They say all is ok, but photos are still not sharp.

@AutoNoob, did the service center do any Auto focus fine tune adjustment for your camera body. If your camera has it, you can check out for youtube videos that you can follow and make the adjustment. This could be one possiblity IMHO
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 21:20   #15205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Maybe the Sigma 30mm f/1.4! I have both of the above with the Alpha 6000. Not happy. Yet to try wide aperture glass. So expensive.
Exactly. I have this lens and I am very fond of it. There's a Sigma trio of fast apsc-lenses at good prices
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 12:32   #15206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

1. Nikon D5300 body

The reason may be due to Autofocus sensor getting dirty. Cleaning it should get rid of the problem.

A work around is to use the Live View, that is use the screen instead of the view finder. If you get a sharp focus in this mode then autofucus is the problem. If not then the camera processor is the culprit.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:29   #15207
BHPian

I have been trying to find replacement EN-EL14/14a batteries for my D3200 for a couple of weeks but haven't been able to get a hold of one. The current stock battery is still running fine, but I would need an additional battery on my upcoming trip. All the shops seem to only stock 3rd party replacements of Digitek. One last hope will be checking with Nikon's service center in Andheri once I'm back in Mumbai.

Does anyone have any experience with Digitek's batteries and their longevity compared to the OEM one?

Cheers.
Old 10th April 2023, 11:15   #15208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I have been trying to find replacement EN-EL14/14a batteries for my D3200 for a couple of weeks but haven't been able to get a hold of one. The current stock battery is still running fine, but I would need an additional battery on my upcoming trip. All the shops seem to only stock 3rd party replacements of Digitek. One last hope will be checking with Nikon's service center in Andheri once I'm back in Mumbai.

Does anyone have any experience with Digitek's batteries and their longevity compared to the OEM one?

Cheers.
Try this on Amazon
https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-VAW13403...=AN6HO31VGR9GL

or
https://www.nikon.co.in/rechargeable...ry-en-el14a-tw

Last edited by Aroy : 10th April 2023 at 11:18.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:25   #15209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The Amazon battery won’t fit and the seller does not have the exact model that I require.

I’ve tried about 5-6 authorised resellers that the Nikon website suggested in both Mumbai and Surat but there is no stock anywhere.

I’ll be back in Mumbai next week and my only hope to find a OEM battery is the service centre I think.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I’m going to have to plan an upgrade to a newer body soon.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2023, 19:12   #15210
BANNED

Posting this as I am looking for some reference points.

Currently shoot with Canon mirrorless - full frame RP with a few primes. All in all, not a very expensive set up.

Now I am thinking of grabbing a telephoto zoom because some offers have come up. The 70-200 f2.8 is what I like the most. But that is only in theory because I have consumed so much content about this lens and its results. I myself haven’t used it before and don’t know what I would use it for. If I do buy this lens it will undoubtedly be the most expensive thing in my bag. So I want to get this right.

My use case is that I will 80% of the time be using this lens to take photos of events in which my kids are participating. These could be stage events or sports events. Subjects will be at a distance and will be moving around. Lighting in open air sports in our country should not be a big issue. But lighting indoors on a stage can be unpredictable with weird shadows.

A second used case is the occasional wildlife safari. Although I am by no means looking to get the best wild life photos out there; for sure I need the pictures of my kids to come out sharp in all kinds of light. I can get multiple attempts at photographing wildlife; but we only get one attempt to record that one event when the child is at a particular age. Mess it up and that moment will not come again. So the margin of error for me is all about the situation.

The questions are these -

1.) What is the use case range of a 70-200 f2.8?

2.) Will I be better served by buying a longer zoom; with a smaller aperture, thereby compromising on quantity of light for longer reach?

2a) If point 2 above then, will it be sufficient for me to get a Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 C and then adapt it to the RF mount? I am reading about lots of autofocus issues thus requiring the user to shoot large bursts and then pick thru the results to find one sharp photo. This can be done. But it is a huge pain to comb thru hundreds of photos to find one good one. If the savings are high enough then it is worth it I suppose. It’s always a trade off between time and money.

2b) If picking one photo out of hundreds or thousands of burst shots is going to be a pain, will it be better for me to get the RF 100-500mm? That lens is as expensive as it comes. But it’s a Canon RF native lens and so autofocus should work well with Canon mirrorless cameras. Of course the widest aperture it has is 7.1 which is smaller than the Sigma’s 6.3. How much of a problem is this for events? Also it’s reach is 100mm shorter than the Sigma’s 600mm. But if 500mm is plenty for events, then I don’t mind the compromise as long as I get very good quality pictures of my kids without having to pick from a large sample of “spray and pray” shots. I am acutely aware that 500mm isn’t remotely enough for wildlife. But then that isn’t my primary requirement. If anything I am less worried about reach and more worried about that 7.1 maximum aperture.

3.) For those of you who have used dedicated cameras to take pics of your kids, what are the typical focal lengths that you would recommend? How close to a stage does one need to get to get good photos from a 70-200mm f2.8, or from a 24-105mm f4, with good background separation?

4.) Will I be better served by a telephoto prime with a bigger aperture? Like say a 135mm f1.8? It is less flexible. But if that is the most used focal length then I don’t need a big range and can trade that range for a bigger aperture in f1.8.

Looking forward to all of your thoughts on this subject.

Thank you

Last edited by graaja : 20th August 2023 at 20:24. Reason: As requested

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks