Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 11:16   #15181

Re: The DSLR Thread

Since pandemic have spent a significant amount of time learning Lightroom, and of late quite enamoured by black & white... Some results...

The DSLR Thread-nannurunnualauddingravepost.jpg
Qutub Minar Complex, New Delhi

The DSLR Thread-tombtreescloudspost.jpg
Itimad-ud-Daullah Tomb, Agra

Scans from 25 old negatives...

The DSLR Thread-postpillar-entrance.jpg
Entrance, Hotel Savoy, Mussoorie

The DSLR Thread-postsavoywide-shot.jpg
Hotel Savoy, Mussoorie

The DSLR Thread-postmountains-cloudshorizontal.jpg
Mussoorie

Looking forward for critique from you all, especially areas where I can improve.
AheadAJ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 14:35   #15182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AheadAJ View Post
Scans from 25 old negatives...
Nice pics, @AheadAJ.

One question - what film scanner are you using ? I am looking for one, to scan some old negatives.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 14:59   #15183

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One question - what film scanner are you using?
Thanks. I use Nikon Coolscan IV ED. Had bought it in 2002. Provides professional quality results but scanning is slow. It is not available now except on ebay.

Alternatively, have read good reviews of Kodak which is available on amazon (https://www.amazon.in/Scanner-Conver.../dp/B084NVRHYQ).

But please keep in mind that working on old negatives invoves lots of post-processing work. Think of getting involved in it if your negatives are in excellent condition or you are willing to spend time post-scan. Best wishes.
AheadAJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:44   #15184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But please keep in mind that working on old negatives invoves lots of post-processing work. Think of getting involved in it if your negatives are in excellent condition or you are willing to spend time post-scan. Best wishes.
Thanks, @AheadAJ. PP will be required, and I have guessed it wont be a quick one to scan all those rolls. Esp with a model like this Kodak which will be scanning one negative at a time (though the processing will need much more time than the scanning). Btw, 30k price-tag is a bummer :|

A few years back, I used to check Ebay US/UK for film scanners. However, the plan took a back-seat. I may get going on this work once I get sufficient spare time. I can still get a scanner from there through friends, but wanted feedback about which one to go for. Thanks for the link there.

Last edited by condor : 5th January 2023 at 15:46.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:20   #15185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I use Nikon Coolscan IV ED. Had bought it in 2002. Provides professional quality results but scanning is slow. It is not available now except on ebay.

You can use your DSLR to "scan" the negatives. What you need is

. Negative scanner attachment
https://www.tanotis.com/products/nik...SABEgLfLfD_BwE

. Flat plane lens
Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens

https://www.instructables.com/Slide-Scanning-With-DSLR/

There are other methods that use your camera or phone

https://www.tanotis.com/products/kod...SABEgL6tPD_BwE
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:26   #15186

Hi ,

I'm a novice in photography and looking to buy a new camera to take good photos of the various things that I'm interested in : sports , birds/wildlife and architecture/travel. I do not intend to be a professional, but just want to pursue it as a hobby.

On my recent trip, I got used to nikon coolpix 900 (borrowed from a relative) and played around with manual mode. I'm quite ok shooting in this and learning more about settings.

The DSLR Thread-dscn0106.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dscn1217.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dscn1302.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dscn2248.jpg

Post this, I had to return the camera and I'm searching to buy a new/used one on a budget.

Few learnings : 1) I couldn't push the ISO beyond 3200 and I couldn't take good low light images.
2) My hands are not so steady, but it really improved towards the end
3) I liked birding and shooting birds but it requires larger focal length since they are not close to you.
4) flexibility of carrying just one lens and making the required adjustments.

I'm driven by sharp and high quality images but I have not delved into so much artistic value, just want to capture the moment.

I have narrowed down to Nikon D7500 + Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD. Spec wise it looks ok for my requirements. Does this combo make sense? Especially in 2023? I'm ok with jack of all trades, master in none.

I'm unable to try it out as both are not available in store. they will have to place an order. It is out of my budget , as combination would be around 1.1L. I'm ok with a second hand body.

60k is my comfort zone and 80k is sort of like max. Do you have suggestions on how I can go about with my budget constraints? Any other alternatives
swparth18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 13:09   #15187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swparth18 View Post
Hi ,

I'm a novice in photography and looking to buy a new camera to take good photos of the various things that I'm interested in : sports , birds/wildlife and architecture/travel. I do not intend to be a professional, but just want to pursue it as a hobby.

On my recent trip, I got used to nikon coolpix 900 (borrowed from a relative) and played around with manual mode. I'm quite ok shooting in this and learning more about settings.
I have narrowed down to Nikon D7500 + Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD. Spec wise it looks ok for my requirements. Does this combo make sense? Especially in 2023? I'm ok with jack of all trades, master in none.

I......................................

60k is my comfort zone and 80k is sort of like max. Do you have suggestions on how I can go about with my budget constraints? Any other alternatives
Your range of interests is quite wide, and each one requires a specific lense to its job properly.

1. Sports - this needs high speed shots and good ISO in most cases, so a good and modern body is essential.

2. Birds Wildlife - Needs long lenses and good ISO.

3. Architecture - Needs lenses that have minimal distortion (by themself or with post processing).

4. Travel - Needs a good Zoom and decent ISO.

So, in my opinion you need a good body that can support high ISO - 12K or better. A good zoom (24-70 or wider) and if you can afford telephoto lense.

As you budget is limited, I sugest that you rent a good body and a 24-70 zoom and try it out for at least a week. Try shooting RAW and get familiar with RAW post processing. Then you can decide if investing in the camera system is worth it.

An alternative is to get a "Super Zoom" camera like Nikon Coolpix 1000
https://www.amazon.in/NIKON-COOLPIX-.../dp/B07F5HPXK4

Thoug it is expensive, it is the best choice for a wide range of situations, be it still or video.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 16:17   #15188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A basic guideline with DSLRs is -
1. Stay away from all-in-one-lenses.
2. Invest in glass (good lenses).

I have a Sigma 17-50 for general shots, and a 55-200 for that bit of tele. I dont shoot much, but if/when I want to expand, the Sigma will stay and the 55-200 will get replaced.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 12:04   #15189
Senior - BHPian

One thing to note is that due to design constraint, the longer the Zoom range, the less IQ, unless the Zoom is designed for IQ, in that case it becomes prohibitively expensive.

So if you want good IQ stick to primes (they are faster and lighter than Zooms) or go in for exotic Zooms - Nikon 100-400 or 200-400

https://www.designinfo.in/p/nikon-ni...f45-vr-s-lens/

https://www.thereliablestore.com/nik...-lens/pid=5181
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 20:40   #15190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think Nikon D7500 is a very good camera for your use cases. It has fast autofocus for action and sports photography, high burst speeds, good dynamic range and excellent image quality for still photographs. It has a large and bright optical viewfinder with 100% coverage, something that is very nice to have. Overall it is a great camera. I really like APSC cameras for most use cases (like the ones you mentioned). They are relatively compact and light, and offer extra reach on the focal lengths due to the 1.5x crop factor. Suits well for most general purpose photography, except when the highest technical qualities are required (like in print and professional photography) where a full-frame is almost a minimum requirement.

However, I would not recommend that Tamron 18-400mm lens. As others have mentioned, such extreme zoom range comes at the cost of image quality and optical performance. The reviews of that lens mention average optical performance at best. Instead, I would recommend Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR lens (https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-telephot...dp/B01L6M2LM0/). This has very good optical performance, is inexpensive, and quite light and compact (for the 300mm focal length).

I am using this lens for all my telephoto shots, along with a couple of Nikon prime lenses (35mm/f1.8 and 50mm f/1.8) and I am very happy with all these three lenses. These three lenses are enough for me to cover most of my photography use cases.

And of course, if you decide to go for a mirrorless camera, then Nikon Z50 with a kit lens is in your budget. I think the image qualities and in general performance of Z50 and D7500 is very similar to each other. So you can choose either one based on your preferences for DSLR or mirrorless.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 2nd March 2023 at 20:42.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:02   #15191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

However, I would not recommend that Tamron 18-400mm lens. As others have mentioned, such extreme zoom range comes at the cost of image quality and optical performance. The reviews of that lens mention average optical performance at best. Instead, I would recommend Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR lens (https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-telephot...dp/B01L6M2LM0/). This has very good optical performance, is inexpensive, and quite light and compact (for the 300mm focal length).

I am using this lens for all my telephoto shots, along with a couple of Nikon prime lenses (35mm/f1.8 and 50mm f/1.8) and I am very happy with all these three lenses. These three lenses are enough for me to cover most of my photography use cases.

And of course, if you decide to go for a mirrorless camera, then Nikon Z50 with a kit lens is in your budget. I think the image qualities and in general performance of Z50 and D7500 is very similar to each other. So you can choose either one based on your preferences for DSLR or mirrorless.
Thank you , DR AD, CONDRO and AROY for your insights..
I did go out and check out couple of cameras in store. I have heard from GK vale and the Bhola's that D7500 will be phased out soon. Any other store that I should try? So i thought buying it now might be a risk(in terms of money spent even if it were for a second hand).

Also, i did look into entry level mirrorless camera with APSC sensor's well. XT-3, Sony A6400, Nikon z50 and Canon EOS R50. Nikon seems to give the best kit lens combination with NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR + NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR Lens as compared to others. This makes in very easy for the first time buys. Reliance Digital had this at 82k (body+ kit lens) a week ago. However, I heard from the reviews that the sensor is still an older one and 20.4 MP is just about good enough. Maybe i should just go and try it out.

@Aroy :
Quote:
An alternative is to get a "Super Zoom" camera like Nikon Coolpix 1000
https://www.amazon.in/NIKON-COOLPIX-.../dp/B07F5HPXK4

Though it is expensive, it is the best choice for a wide range of situations, be it still or video.
Actually the images I have posted are from coolpix900 which is a similar model. I know it limitation and capabilities and since I'm buying a new one , I think there is something better out there with a slight increase in budget (~20k)
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:16   #15192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a few of us here have turned to DPReview for reviews on cameras before purchases. This has been one of the sites to check before the decision. But now they are closing:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/590114...ezy6PjXDoxw7W0

One of the comments said that it's Amazon pulling the plug on this site for cost-cutting.

Last edited by condor : 22nd March 2023 at 07:17.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:51   #15193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One of the comments said that it's Amazon pulling the plug on this site for cost-cutting.
The article itself provides a link to amazon’s “Annual operating plan review” which is nothing but a generic firing letter.

Have been frequent visitor to DPReview for its reviews and nikon forums. Amazon could have set them free (it was an independent website before amazon acquired them) rather than shutting them down. Hope they come back in a new avatar.

Chris and Jordon of dpreview.tv have indicated that they will be back.
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:41   #15194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
The sale to Amazon would have included rights to all material. Hence even if Chris & Jordan come back, they will not be able to use any of the old reviews, and will have to build up everything from scratch. Unless they buy the same back from Amazon.
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:46   #15195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
They have joined Petapixel.

But DPReview, to me, was not them: I hardly watched their videos at all. It was the many contributors to the forum.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed