Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 16:21   #15016
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Does anybody have a Canon 40D battery charger?
check on JJMPF if anyone is selling. Else search online for specific battery model.
Old 9th April 2020, 18:37   #15017
r.K
BHPian

How folks. I currently have a D90 and have been shooting with it for the 9 years or so. I want to upgrade to an FX format camera. I mainly shoot wildlife, landscapes and portraits. I plan to keep my D90 as well, as it won't fetch much.

I'm thinking D750, D850 or if I get a really sweet deal, the D5. Comments?
Old 9th April 2020, 20:57   #15018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
How folks. I currently have a D90 and have been shooting with it for the 9 years or so. I want to upgrade to an FX format camera. I mainly shoot wildlife, landscapes and portraits. I plan to keep my D90 as well, as it won't fetch much.

The D750 with the 24-120 lens kit and a lowerpro camera bag was available for 1,22,000 on Amazon recently. Seller was Cloudtail and so should be authentic. The D850 is awesome if you have the budget but the D750 is a steal at this price since it already has a successor in the form of D780 now. D750 should suffice for most situations if you ask me personally.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 22:19   #15019
r.K
BHPian

But feature wise. Is D850 an upgrade from D750? I'm coming from a D90, so I don't upgrade for a long time. I will save and buy the better camera. Which is why I threw in the D5 as well.
Old 9th April 2020, 23:36   #15020
BHPian

Quote:
But feature wise. Is D850 an upgrade from D750? I'm coming from a D90, so I don't upgrade for a long time. I will save and buy the better camera. Which is why I threw in the D5 as well.
D850 has the same AF system as D5 and D500 (153 points, 99 cross type) which will be an upgrade over D750 (51 points, 15 cross type) for Wildlife. Since you have the budget to include D5 too, my choice would be D850 plus 24-70mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 (Tamron G2 or Sigma). I assume you already have a long telephoto for Wildlife.
PS- Not interested in Z-series?
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:04   #15021
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
I assume you already have a long telephoto for Wildlife.
PS- Not interested in Z-series?
I have a Sigma 75-300mm for the close ups, and a 50mm 1.4F for portraits. I really need to upgrade to a 150-600mm for those close-up shots.

Not going to the Z-side yet
Old 10th April 2020, 10:26   #15022
BHPian

Quote:

My experience is that if you are a committed amateur, you would want the best. If budgetary constraints prevent you from getting it now, you will lust for it when the constraints are not there. At that time, you would find that the old equipment does not fetch any resale value and is inadequate for your growing demands.

Secondly, while the body is important, the lens is equally, if not more, important for wildlife. You would want a faster lens and with more reach and these are more expensive than the body. Further more, over time, you would want to collect many, many attachments and gizmos and these cost too. For more information, you can have a look at this thread:: (Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer)

Lastly, i agree that a FX body makes sense.

Last edited by earthian : 10th April 2020 at 10:35.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 11:03   #15023
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
My experience is that if you are a committed amateur, you would want the best. If budgetary constraints prevent you from getting it now, you will lust for it when the constraints are not there. At that time, you would find that the old equipment does not fetch any resale value and is inadequate for your growing demands.

Secondly, while the body is important, the lens is equally, if not more, important for wildlife. You would want a faster lens and with more reach and these are more expensive than the body. Further more, over time, you would want to collect many, many attachments and gizmos and these cost too. For more information, you can have a look at this thread:: (Gear for the Serious Amateur Photographer)

Lastly, i agree that a FX body makes sense.
Your thread is brilliant. I have a Sigma 70-300mm for close-ups. As you said, it is woefully inadequate, for close-ups of birds, wildlife. I have the 50mm f1.4D for portraits. How do you feel about a Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 as a cheaper substitute for the nikon 600mm f4?
Old 10th April 2020, 12:48   #15024
BHPian

Quote:
How do you feel about a Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 as a cheaper substitute for the nikon 600mm f4?
Frankly, there is no comparison and i would desist from attempting to do so . Prime lenses are a class apart, and the Nikkor 600mm f4 is a superb lens. The only problem is the weight and you need a sturdy tripod, irrespective of whether you have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger or not.

However, you may like to note that wildlife is most active either early mornings or around dusk- Meaning that the light conditions are not optimal. Secondly, if you like photographing birds or fast moving animals, then shutter speed needs to be high- I normally keep shutter speed for such subjects ~1/1500. Point being made is that with high shutter speeds and low light conditions, you would have to crank up the ISO for a properly exposed shot. That comes with its own baggage, as you know.

The answer is using the fastest lens with the greatest reach.

The Nikon 200-500mm F5.6 is pretty decent and you may like to evaluate that too.

Last edited by earthian : 10th April 2020 at 13:04.
Old 10th April 2020, 15:08   #15025
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The answer is using the fastest lens with the greatest reach.

The Nikon 200-500mm F5.6 is pretty decent and you may like to evaluate that too.
Thank you. Buying a 600mm prime lens is out of the question as of now due to budget constraints. I would need to make do with a zoom lens.

Talking of upgrading, are any of you selling your existing cameras for an upgrade? A D850 or a D5? What would be the acceptable shutter count to buy a used camera? And any other checks I should be aware of?
Old 9th June 2020, 21:15   #15026
BHPian

I have Nikon D5000 with Nikon 80-200 for normal use having ditched the Kit 18-55. Besides I use 100-300mm also.
I want to upgrade the body only and within limited budget, I have shortlisted D5600 retaining the Lens. Not for professional use, but occasional touring.

Your honest opinion on my choice are sought.
Old 9th June 2020, 22:15   #15027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I have Nikon D5000 with Nikon 80-200 for normal use having ditched the Kit 18-55. Besides I use 100-300mm also.
I want to upgrade the body only and within limited budget, I have shortlisted D5600 retaining the Lens. Not for professional use, but occasional touring.
I have the D5600 and it's a very competent camera. However, I shoot in manual mode and sorely miss a second control dial. Not much of an upgrade either for you, a slightly better sensor plus a swivel touch screen. If you can stretch your budget by 10/12k, I would suggest D7200. You get the second control dial, bigger and brighter view finder (pentaprism rather than pentamirror), better auto focus system, flash high speed sync, dual memory card slot etc.

By the way, what do you shoot on your tours? If it's mainly Landscape, D5600 will be great. But the focal lengths of your lenses point towards Portraits and casual wildlife.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 06:12   #15028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
By the way, what do you shoot on your tours? If it's mainly Landscape, D5600 will be great. But the focal lengths of your lenses point towards Portraits and casual wildlife.
Thanks ! For me a Positive comment was all I needed. Shall surely keep an eye on D7200 too.
What I shoot - My range extends from just a Flower to Golden Gate Bridge. You could go through my Travelogues on San Francisco, Las Vegas, Bicycle Vandalism. Nothing in particular, but anything interesting.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 21:22   #15029
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Shall surely keep an eye on D7200 too.
What I shoot - My range extends from just a Flower to Golden Gate Bridge. You could go through my Travelogues on San Francisco, Las Vegas, Bicycle Vandalism. Nothing in particular, but anything interesting.
If looking at photography while travelling, I suggest considering a mirrorlessfor sheer lower weight and smaller size. We have a thread on those. I dont have - and have not used - one - mine is a D5600. I believe Nikon Z series comes with an adapter, so that you can continue using the existing lenses. Those too come with APS-C and FX sensors, and Panasonic and others have the micro three fourth (hope I got that right) sensor.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 11:11   #15030
BHPian

Photography obsessed man from Belgaum, Karnataka, builds camera themed house. He has also named his sons Canon, Nikon and Epson. Link

If he had three daughters instead of sons, what would have been the names? Leica, Konica and Minolta?
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks