Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2019, 18:33   #14911
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Some quick grabs at home/backyard from my 2-month-old brand new Tamron 150-600 G2 which is now on sale I bought this one (=GAS) before my vacation expecting to get back to birding. Looks like I will still have to wait. There is no comparison to the Tammy G1 and the AF is faster than my earlier Nikon 200-500 and lighter and more comfortable to handhold too.
Have seen your JJMPF WTS ad. Wish I had the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
This is a very compressed photograph of Silver Breasted Broadbill. Taken in Manas National Park, Assam.
Welcome to Team-BHP. I spent my childhood very near to Manas. But back then, the inhabitants of the parks would have shot us and not with a camera

We have a non-auto image thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...read-1170.html. Hoping to see more of your photos there.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:12   #14912
BHPian

Guys need a bit of advice.

I currently use the Nikon D5100 body (over 7 years old). Have been trying to extend the reach of this while doing wildlife photography.

Am eyeing the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C.

Need clarity on:
1. Are Sigma lenses any good/reliable?
2. Is it worth sinking 80K on this lens?
3. Is it a smart decision buying this on Amazon?
4. Any other issues with regard to body compatibility?
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:59   #14913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Guys need a bit of advice.

I currently use the Nikon D5100 body (over 7 years old). Have been trying to extend the reach of this while doing wildlife photography.

Need clarity on:
I personally prefer the Nikon 200-500 over the 150-600, even though the Nikon has a slightly lower zoom ratio. The IQ at 600 is not all that great and at 500mm the Nikon has a slight edge. That said the quality of both these lenses is variable and you have to check a few before you get a good copy.

If you can negotiate the price at a Nikon Authorised shop, you may get it at a better price. It is always better to buy from a reputed retailer as they will give you better after sales support. Some samples of 200-500 have had slight off centering problem, and the shop will do all the needful to get it repaired/replaced. With Amazon you are on your own.

Regarding the camera body, why not try D3300 (not 3400 or 3500). You will get it at around 25K and the sensor is far ahead of that of D5100. The reason for D3300 is that it has a full power flash while subsequent models have half the power (hence reach).
https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-Nikkor-1...xoCZrcQAvD_BwE
It quite a rugged body. My one bought in 2014, till date I have crossed 1,20,000/ shots and the body and battery are still going strong.

You will get better deal if you negotiate the package of the body and lens.

I am a great fan of UV filter as that protects the front element. Hoya are quite good and you can search the net for some time till you get a great price.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:07   #14914
BHPian

Quote:

Need clarity on:
Wait for a sale on Amazon. You will get the Sigma for around 70k. Do read the online comparisons with Nikon 200-500, Tamron G2 and Sigma sport Version.

Sigma is infamous for focus issues. They now offer a USB Dock (around 4.4k) for focus fine-tuning.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2019 at 07:53. Reason: Typo
Old 28th August 2019, 17:38   #14915
BHPian

I have a Nikon D5600 ( many thanks to members here for guiding me on which model to choose as my first dslr ) alongwith kit lenses 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm.
I took it to Dubai trip in February and Lansdowne trip in June. In both vacations, I felt the need for a tripod so as to click the family pics. I want to know, which tripod should I buy, whether expensive ones like Manfrotto or cheaper ones like Amazonbasics.

With regards
Anindya
Old 28th August 2019, 20:32   #14916
BHPian

The amazon basics tripod is a quite sturdy one. Has a lot of travel range and reeks of quality. Absolute value for money. Been using it for both my canon eos 1300d and 77d and I couldn't have asked for a better one.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:00   #14917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I currently use the Nikon D5100 body (over 7 years old).

Suggest to also upgrade the body to a D5500 (5300 at minimum). D5300 & newer ones dont have the AA filter, and images are little sharper than 5100/5200.

Did you check the Tamron G2 150-600 ? Good feedback from users. I would say it again to also upgrade the body.

Edit: check with @M35 if he still has his Tamron. He had put it up for sale.

Last edited by condor : 28th August 2019 at 21:07.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:19   #14918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I personally prefer the Nikon 200-500 over the 150-600, even though the Nikon has a slightly lower zoom ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Sigma is infamous for focus issues. They now offer a USB Dock (around 4.4k) for focus fine-tuning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Did you check the Tamron G2 150-600 ? Good feedback from users. I would say it again to also upgrade the body.
Thanks guys for taking time to respond. Have not been hearing good things on the Sigma lens. And I can only push it so far with the Nikon D5100.

So. Have decided to save up and go whole hog on a full frame body with an appropriate lens.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:32   #14919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So. Have decided to save up and go whole hog on a full frame body with an appropriate lens.
For wildlife photography I believe it is better to stick to APS-C body due to the crop factor. It gives more reach compared to a full frame camera. You can have a look at the Nikon D500. But that is just my opinion, I might be wrong.
Old 28th August 2019, 21:51   #14920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
I have a Nikon D5600 ( many thanks to members here for guiding me on which model to choose as my first dslr ) alongwith kit lenses 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm.
I took it to Dubai trip in February and Lansdowne trip in June. In both vacations, I felt the need for a tripod so as to click the family pics. I want to know, which tripod should I buy, whether expensive ones like Manfrotto or cheaper ones like Amazonbasics.

With regards
Anindya
If you don't want to stretch to Manfrotto, you can check out Vanguard, Sirui or Benro. They have decent tripods with ballheads in 10k-15k range. I have the Vanguard VEO2 264CB (bought three months ago for 12k) and am pretty happy with it. Guru's here and elsewhere always warn against cheap tripods.

BTW, I have the same Camera+kit lense combo as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Edit: check with @M35 if he still has his Tamron. He had put it up for sale.
M35 has sold his Tamron G2 (as per his post on JJMPF) for 69K. Not a bad deal for the buyer!
Old 29th August 2019, 08:36   #14921
Senior - BHPian

As a noob, did not get any occasion to try any other brand of tripod. I choose Amazon Basics one purely on price. I use it for timed selfies and long exposure shots. It has gone on two six day trips. It is light weight, and sturdy for its weight. Have observed tripods used by wedding photographers, and can't spot a feature wise difference. Except that some have wheels, which are required for videography. Maybe, considerations may differ for full frame bodies, which would be heavier.

What benefit do these premium brands / ball heads provide?

Last edited by Aditya : 29th August 2019 at 16:46. Reason: Typo
Old 29th August 2019, 10:13   #14922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am a great fan of UV filter as that protects the front element.
Suppose, on a beach, where we have to avoid sun glare and protect our lens from flying sand, then is it possible to use both uv filter and lens hood at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
The amazon basics tripod is a quite sturdy one. Has a lot of travel range and reeks of quality. Absolute value for money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I choose Amazon Basics one purely on price. I use it for timed selfies and long exposure shots. It has gone on two six day trips. It is light weight, and sturdy for its weight.
Did you both face any difficulty while using amazonbasics tripod. I'm hesitant in purchasing it because, while reading reviews on amazon, I noticed that most of the complaints were regarding amazon not providing warranty repairs and some tripods started giving problems in just 2 months of usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
If you don't want to stretch to Manfrotto, you can check out Vanguard, Sirui or Benro. They have decent tripods with ballheads in 10k-15k range. I have the Vanguard VEO2 264CB (bought three months ago for 12k) and am pretty happy with it. Guru's here and elsewhere always warn against cheap tripods.
May I know from where did you purchase it. It's selling on amazon for 13k, but in case, if something goes wrong, who will provide warranty service.

Quote:
BTW, I have the same Camera+kit lense combo as you.
Do you use lens hood ? I was able to get original Nikon lens hood for 18-55 mm lens from an authorised Nikon reseller, but couldn't find original one (HB-77) for 70-300 mm lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What benefit do these premium brands / ball heads provide?
I think they last longer due to better build quality and are made out of premium grade aluminium and carbon fibre. Rest, senior members here can better explain it. I'm no expert in this field. I purchased my first dslr this year in January with the help of Bhpians' guidance.

Last edited by Anindya_Anni : 29th August 2019 at 10:18. Reason: Added name to a quoted post
Old 29th August 2019, 11:12   #14923
BHPian

Quote:
Suppose, on a beach, where we have to avoid sun glare and protect our lens from flying sand, then is it possible to use both uv filter and lens hood at the same time.
You can use CPL for glare. Buy a good one like Hoya. I had bought a cheap AmazonBasics CPL and it does reduce image quality. Any screw-on filter can be used with hood.

Hoods can also reduce glares.

Quote:
May I know from where did you purchase it. It's selling on amazon for 13k, but in case, if something goes wrong, who will provide warranty service.
Bought it from Amazon. Price may have increased due to weakening of rupees. Wait for the next sale (early october), you should get it for around 12K. Not much can go wrong in a tripod. Test it thoroughly during return window.
Quote:
Do you use lens hood ? I was able to get original Nikon lens hood for 18-55 mm lens from an authorised Nikon reseller, but couldn't find original one (HB-77) for 70-300 mm lens.
Bought both HB-N106 (for 18-55mm) and HB-77 from Flipkart. Here's the link for HB-77. Good decision to stay away from cheaper third-party hoods!
Old 29th August 2019, 11:15   #14924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you both face any difficulty while using amazonbasics tripod. I'm hesitant in purchasing it because, while reading reviews on amazon, I noticed that most of the complaints were regarding amazon not providing warranty repairs and some tripods started giving problems in just 2 months of usage.
Might I also throw in a (genuine) Gorilla pod into the mix? I do have a Tripod, but lately on most outings, I tend to carry a Manfrotto monopod and a Gorilla pod. The Gorilla easily supports my D500 & 11-16 Tokina combo, and even supports D500 & 150-600 if mounted on the lens.

The advantages the way I see it:
- A lot smaller, lighter and easier to carry
- Extremely robust and reliable - can take a lot of abuse
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces (and even when you don't have a flat surface)
- Naturally lends itself to lower perspective leading to better foreground inclusion in your compositions.
Old 29th August 2019, 11:43   #14925
Senior - BHPian

I think I am slowly moving out of DSLR space :( With iPhone first and now Pixel 2 XL, my D5200 simply seems too unwieldy to carry around. With amazing sensor, great camera software and instant editing and sharing, the mobile camera is far far more preferred than lugging around a camera. I am now planning to even sell off the D5200.

Any thoughts on whether DSLR are losing place for non-pro consumers? Did any of you have a similar experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks